• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tyra Banks Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroookamitsume

Funky FoxSkunky.
*begins laughing uncontrollably*

Wow, furs are getting baww and butthurt about this?

Man oh man...

What a wonderful fandom we partake in, ne?

Why is everyone over reacting to this stuff?:confused:

I don't see it as overreacting at all.

Fursuiters are a big part of this fandom. I mean, they only make up about 10%, but they're a hugely visible part of the fandom. Maybe even the most visible, to the general public.

And most fursuiters (in my experience, anyway, and I do know several) like to use their suits for general good works and having fun. They volunteer for charities and events, particularly ones which help animals and children. And they also like to just go out in public, mess around and have fun.

So what will these charities and events say if they find press like this? Well, we don't need to guess. Here's a Tweet by devhalena:

devhalena said:
@YuchiDaYena Yeah, I just got the same thing told to me through an e-mail from a charity here in Dayton. Thanks a lot @chewfox

Yuchi's tweets are protected so I'm not sure what was said, but I think it's pretty plain that there has already been actual negative backlash against fursuiters because of this, mere hours after the show aired.

And what of just going out and having fun in fursuit? Search YouTube and you'll find tons of videos of fursuiters going out in public just for kicks. And the reactions of the people they meet are almost always positive. I've seen it first hand, too, as "handler" for some fursuiters I know who sometimes go out on the town. People love them!

Of course, the next time we go out, anyone who's seen Tyra Banks, or has heard about the episode, won't think that my friends are cute and quirky oddballs just out having a good time. They'll think they're animal fetishists who are wearing their fetishwear out in public. I have personally witnessed - nearly every time I go out with my fursuiter friends - children just run up out of nowhere and give them a hug. What might these parents be thinking after watching ChewFox sell us out for her 15 minutes?

She's brought actual damage to the fandom, and deserves the ban she got. I hope she gets banned from conventions, too. But not until after FurFright. If she's going there, I'd like to tell her what I think to her face.

Gonebatty

Professional dumbass
(@ dahguns as a history buff) ROFL!

J

Jelly

What might these parents be thinking after watching ChewFox sell us out for her 15 minutes?

"Oh god, I can't believe she let me wear her boyfriend's cat head."
No, but seriously, though, reading your post was harrowing. Its like driving through Bangkok, and I just want to get out of this weird, fucked up traffic pattern where chickens dart under my wheel into my nice warm bed so I can be hung over tomorrow.

Gonebatty

Professional dumbass
"Wars are not won by banning, So we will fight on the forums, fight on ED, Fight on youtube and wikipedia. We will never surrender!" Sir Winston Churchill.
*aces high plays*

Triskavanski

Oh how very lovely and well timed too i might add. I was about to write a paper on anthropomorphic animals for school... and apparently that isn't something i should really do right now.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
-sighgroan-

"Oh god, I can't believe she let me wear her boyfriend's cat head."
No, but seriously, though, reading your post was harrowing. Its like driving through Bangkok, and I just want to get out of this weird, fucked up traffic pattern where chickens dart under my wheel into my nice warm bed so I can be hung over tomorrow.

Uh.... ok. Be less cryptic and I might know how to respond.

All I'm saying is, next time I try to go out and have fun, there will be people thinking that I'm with a group of perverts wearing sexual fetish suits in public and interacting with children in them.

For me, that's not so terrible, 'cause I just do it for fun anyway. Some suiters try to do actual good charity work, and some of them have ALREADY lost the opportunity to do so specifically because of this episode of Tyra Banks.

K

Kaamos

I just looked at her page and she's gotten at least ten new watchers, and the admins removed that awesome comment. :/

I gotta say I don't agree with the decision to ban Chewfox.

I don't think what she did was good, or smart, but I also don't think folks should be banned/ostracized from the community for speaking publically about it.

Imagine if the gay community tried to convince the world that being gay had nothing to do with sex. That while some of them enjoy interior decoraring and dress nicely, and most of them enjoy being with other guys and sitting in the park holding hands with maybe the occasional peck on the cheek, nothing unsavory ever goes on behind closed doors.

That's what the furry community has been trying to do for decades.

Being gay didn't become socially acceptable by trying to hide it and sugar coat it. It became socially acceptable because people talked about it.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot

I don't think what she did was good, or smart, but I also don't think folks should be banned/ostracized from the community for speaking publically about it.

Imagine if the gay community tried to convince the world that being gay had nothing to do with sex. That while some of them enjoy interior decoraring and dress nicely, and most of them enjoy being with other guys and sitting in the park holding hands with maybe the occasional peck on the cheek, nothing unsavory ever goes on behind closed doors.

Being gay didn't become socially acceptable by trying to hide it and sugar coat it. It became socially acceptable because people talked about it.
cause its perfectly fine to say "we enjoy screwing in suits" instead of saying "me and my loved one enjoy screwing in suits"

Dahguns

The nonsensical drama furry.
"Wars are not won by banning, So we will fight on the forums, fight on ED, Fight on youtube and wikipedia. We will never surrender!" Sir Winston Churchill.
*aces high plays*
"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties and so bear ourselves that, if the Fandom and its Furries last for a thousand years, furs will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'" ~Sir Winston Churchill.

kuroookamitsume

Funky FoxSkunky.

THIS.

I mean, what's really the difference in her doing that, then someone hearing about the furry fandom and going onto Google, typing it in and being ZOMG?!?!, passing it on to someone else, who passes it on?

Also, yes, her opinion was not stated as just an opinion but as fact, but I mean, she *did* say she was nervous on her journal. So...I can cut her some slack on that. :)

Truro the Lost

a.k.a. lost2darkness

Theres a big difference between people admitting to being gay or coming out of the closet than saying "yeah we buttfuck"...

Its also not representative as the furry fandom as a whole. Only 18% of furries even own suits, and I will wager most of them do not actually screw in suits. I dont know the percentages of gay couples that screw/dont screw, but Im betting that statistic is quite a bit higher.

J

Jelly

They probably banned her to lessen the fallout of her responding and making more journals and having to field a shitload of complaints in that area, with likely whining on both sides and numerous deletions and warnings and crap.

It would've been a mess, so that's probably why they banned her.

Status
Not open for further replies.