• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Um WTF!?

You know, I'm really curious as to if people would leave if this site was slightly commercialized? Right now, FA is down for maintenence with an error windows that appears in resemblance to the blue screen of death.

But what makes me think, is I believe that a lot of furries are possibly running firefox. everyone I know is, some people are on safari or opera. But even if FA became a commercialized site. Firefox has Adblock plus. I haven't actually seen an advertisement banner in quite a while, maybe a few months? So even if fur affinity became commercialized... I'd never know :p

I think it would be a dumb thing to do if artists where to leave. cant they understand that the owners dont have really deep pockets to keep dishing out to this site?

people should be extremely greatful to those who make this place work, and if they're going to leave because the owners need a financial break to keep the place going, then screw em' where else are they going to go?

acru

Prolly for a few weeks, then nothing, then a new rebranded FA from one of the "original" people from FA, bugs bugs and more bugs, site offline site offline, back up...runs for awhile....rinse lather repeat.

FA started being up long enough to almost believe it was going to stay that I started submitting stuff again for the first time in 10+ years, almost seems like a pipedream that FA will continue on. I mean even "if" ownership is transferred to someone else, it will be run by hostile takeover admins :S

Aikon said:
Wyrwulf said:
It's like a head on collision between two short buses.

Could someone more familiar with dates and such tell me if FA lasted longer this time around, versus the last time the site dissolved into administrate petty feuding? Near as I can tell the cycle around here is pretty regular.

You mean this happened before? Interesting. There's saying about history, and repeating,... and whatnot. You've heard it before I'm sure :)

So how long did that little feud go on? I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it will be so I can come back when these two kiss and make up.

talisman

God. why do these things happen all over? I don´t understand the whole problem and tbh it does not really interest me. What I am interested in is that you guys (if you read this!!! which I doubt) TALK and try to get the problem out of this world without causing (more) drama...

Be peaceful, why fight? There is enough fighting all over the world... :(
Sorry for sounding like a sissy, but thats how I feel about this shit!

Wyrwulf

Aikon said:
You mean this happened before? Interesting. There's saying about history, and repeating,... and whatnot. You've heard it before I'm sure :)

So how long did that little feud go on? I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it will be so I can come back when these two kiss and make up.
Oh, it took months to get FA going again after the fallout from the end of Arcturus' adminship. My memory fails me, but there may have been one shutdown before than one as well due to fighting by the higher ups.

Ailure

I don't see the big deal.

It's just the DNS. Acmlm board, a community that I post at have gone through similar stuff. Trust me, FA survives. :p

wolfe97

the one thing i have to say about thi is. wht the F**K do people have to be so goddamned stupid. honestly all the drama in the fandom pisses me off worse than anything else, typically i just ignore it but when it threatens one of the few places where i truly enjoy myself, i tend to wanna get involved an e-kick some e-ass. unfortunatly i'm certain i have no place of importance in this one..

Aikon

Wyrwulf said:
Aikon said:

Oh, it took months to get FA going again after the fallout from the end of Arcturus' adminship. My memory fails me, but there may have been one shutdown before than one as well due to fighting by the higher ups.

That's pretty insane. Guess we shouldn't get involved in this spat, obviously there's money involved. Ain't that always the case?

Ray Kicio

As much as people would like to help out, those who don't know the whole story will just get in the way and feed the flames.

SokiTwopaw

Okay, everyone shut up and just let Alkora and Dragoneer talk it out there is more going on then you think and the best is to stay out of it.
As some one posted before "Too many cooks ruin the broth".
If anything, this forum is a drama lama.

Speaking of which, Dragoneer, your commissions are done. Email me as to where to send them.

HyBroMcYenapants

STEVE HARVEY = HOMOSEXUAL
MetalFanWolf said:
See you dicks should of banned rap....sad it took over your servers craving bling bling money

WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING DIE!! [/align]

capthavoc123

Master of Disaster
Okay, what the hell, guys. Seriously, what the hell.

If Alkora really owns the website, then he owns the f**king website. It's as simple as that. You don't own something just because you put a lot of work into it. If he wants to shut it down, he gets to shut it down. If he wants to sell it, he gets to sell it.

It's like, if I own a rusted out vintage Corvette Stingray, and you decide to do some maintenance on it, sorry but I'll be taking the keys and driving it off no matter how much money you put in it, because it's my g**d**n car. Thanks for repairing it and all, but the registration is still in my name.

This whole thing is childish.

And Preyfar, hopefully you've learned a lesson: Don't sink thousands of dollars into something that you have absolutely no ownership over. Legally, the site is Alkora's to do what he damn well wants with it, because it's in his name.

Acorndeer

I LOL'D Long and heartfelt.

This much drama, confrontation, dismay!
Saw it coming :D

Aikon

Summercat, thanks for that link.

Vali

*kicks down the door, creating a huge explosion* What the fuuuck!?!? Again?? XD
Let me at em'! I'll strangel them both! I haven't heard anything so damn petty in days!! (A record, for me.) This other guy needs to fucking reliquish control of the site back to the admins, and they need to give him back his stupid admin privilages. Maybe when a gun isn't pointed anybody's head, and threats aren't being tossed around, then they can discuss this like ADULTS. *fumes with dark purple energy* >O

HyBroMcYenapants

STEVE HARVEY = HOMOSEXUAL
[21:57] PaveSama: This is a random IM
[21:58] PaveSama: And you're not here, damn.
[21:58] *** "Alkora Husky" signed on at Tue Jul 24 21:58:17 2007.
[21:58] Alkora Husky: I am
[21:58] Alkora Husky: but not feeling well
[21:59] PaveSama: Oh, that sucks. Well, can I ask you afew questions?
[22:00] Alkora Husky: sure
[22:00] PaveSama: I mean, I know you're not feeling well and all, however, I was IMed this link : http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/170189/ and I wanted to know if there was any truth behind it, or if it was just drama getting sturd up. If it is indeed the latterm then I'm sorry for bothing you.
[22:01] Alkora Husky: I had asked if maybe dragoneer wanted to buy FA to become full owner
[22:01] Alkora Husky: dragoneer then blew it out of proportio
[22:02] Alkora Husky: I never said I would just sell it off to anyone
[22:02] PaveSama: that does indeed sound like him....
[22:02] Alkora Husky: I needed money for important things
[22:02] Alkora Husky: and I can't manage FA as much
[22:02] Alkora Husky: I thought maybe this would be a decent deal for us both
[22:03] PaveSama: It does seem rather reasonable.
[22:03] Alkora Husky: I wasn't trying to push him
[22:04] PaveSama: And did he actualy say that he'd shut down FA?
[22:04] Alkora Husky: Yea
[22:05] Alkora Husky: He'd resign and stop funding
[22:05] Alkora Husky: but I don't think I will see those servers
[22:06] PaveSama: This is really fucked up. And I'm sorry to hear about it.
[22:07] Alkora Husky: I feel like I am going to throw up
[22:07] Alkora Husky: I was told by pinkuh that she was contacting her lawyer
[22:07] PaveSama: I read such.
[22:07] PaveSama: However,
[22:07] Alkora Husky: I didn't want this to be a big deal
[22:08] PaveSama: As long as teh Domain name is in your name, you're got a pretty open and shut case.
[22:09] Alkora Husky: *nods*
[22:09] PaveSama: Pinkuh is clamming Extortion, which is actually what Dragoneer is doing to you. You haven't made any threats (or so it seems) where he has. If memory serves me correctly, you could legally sue him for just saying that, and gain the servers.,
[22:09] Alkora Husky: he's in russia
[22:10] PaveSama: As well as any income that FA has made, ect, ect.
[22:10] Alkora Husky: they could send the servers to russia
[22:10] Alkora Husky: and I would never see them
[22:10] PaveSama: Yes, but he's still a US resident.
[22:10] Alkora Husky: Dragoneer handles it
[22:10] Alkora Husky: X.x
[22:10] Alkora Husky: He knew what we needed at the time
[22:10] Alkora Husky: so I said he could handle it because it would get done faster
[22:11] Alkora Husky: and apparently FA is gone
[22:11] Alkora Husky: he shut it down already
[22:12] Alkora Husky: they're probably deleting things now
[22:12] Alkora Husky: and hiding the servers
[22:12] PaveSama: Thats fucked up.
[22:12] Alkora Husky: then they will try and say it was my fault it went down
[22:14] PaveSama: Well, I'll be saving this log, and with your 'Okay', it will be used to help keep credit to your name. If it does come down to that. I've got a good following of watchers, as does my boyfriend. I'm also in close circles with afew other well-known artists. So, I'll pass it on to them, and try to keep you in good standings. :3
[22:15] Alkora Husky: You may if you wish
[22:16] PaveSama: Alrighty. Also, I hope you get to feeling better.
[22:16] Alkora Husky: Thank you
[22:18] PaveSama: Oh, could I ask you why you wanted to sell FA? I mena, you said you needed the money for something important, however, what would that be? You don't have to go into details, or even tell me, if you don't wish.
[22:18] Alkora Husky: I've got black mold in my room
[22:18] Alkora Husky: it's been causing me sick
[22:18] Alkora Husky: erf
[22:19] Alkora Husky: Causing me to be sick
[22:19] Alkora Husky: I wanted to move out
[22:19] Alkora Husky: and use the money to get a business started
[22:19] Alkora Husky: to get money to pay for school supplies
[22:19] Alkora Husky: and for food
[22:19] PaveSama: So, logical things. *Nods.*
[22:19] Alkora Husky: yea...
[22:20] Alkora Husky: I was just presenting the idea of an offer to him
[22:20] Alkora Husky: I don't get why he got so angry
[22:20] PaveSama: About how long ago did you do so?
[22:21] Alkora Husky: like...an hour ago?
[22:21] Alkora Husky: I didn't want to cause drama
[22:21] PaveSama: He really over reacts, Oi.
[22:22] PaveSama: I highly doubt you actually did. Dragonner is pretty good at starting it himself.
[22:22] Alkora Husky: *nods*
[22:25] PaveSama: Well, hopefully, things will tun out for the best, for you.
[22:26] Alkora Husky: Thank you
[22:26] Alkora Husky: I hope so too
[22:29] PaveSama: Hurr you did have an account on FAP, correct?
[22:30] Alkora Husky: I don't remember...maybe
[22:31] PaveSama: Heh. Okay. Well, I'll let you get some rest. And more than likely, I will talk to you again. :3
[22:50] PaveSama: And FA already seems to be back up.
[22:50] Alkora Husky: *hugs* it appears so
[22:51] PaveSama: But I wonder for how long...
[22:53] Alkora Husky: I have no clue
[22:54] PaveSama: Curriosity inclines me to ask if you're Jerhyn, or however his name was slept.
[22:54] PaveSama: .. Spelt.
[22:54] Alkora Husky: That is my old fursona
[22:54] Alkora Husky: I started FA...as jheryn
[22:55] PaveSama: Straydog asked me, so I asked you.
[22:55] Alkora Husky: *nods*
[22:56] PaveSama: Honestly, I didn't even know you had any relation with FA, untill teh other day. Dragoneer made it seem that he was athe head guy
[22:56] Alkora Husky: *nods*
[22:56] Alkora Husky: I've been at it the entire time
[22:56] Alkora Husky: just...behind the scenes
[22:57] PaveSama: *Nods.*
[22:57] Alkora Husky: I couldn't handle the PR...I was under far too much stress
[22:57] PaveSama: I don't think Dragoneer can hand the PR himself.
[22:58] Alkora Husky: I guess so...
[23:01] PaveSama: And Dragoneer plays dumb. Lovely. :p

tl;dr

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
Edit:

Fa is back up again now.

This was internal drama over the ownership of the site. Negotiations are currently underway.

-
For reference, you can still access FA now, go here:

http://8.7.49.250/

or

http://data.furaffinity.net/

Either will do.

Linoth

capthavoc123 said:
If Alkora really owns the website, then he owns the f**king website. It's as simple as that. You don't own something just because you put a lot of work into it. If he wants to shut it down, he gets to shut it down. If he wants to sell it, he gets to sell it.
Don't sink thousands of dollars into something that you have absolutely no ownership over. Legally, the site is Alkora's to do what he damn well wants with it, because it's in his name.
Just a little clarification here, since websites aren't cars, and neither are businesses. Alkora owns the domain name, not the site as a whole. The "www.furaffinity.net" address. The servers, data, and so forth are another matter, if posts in another thread are to be believed, and are all owned by someone else entirely. All Alkora owns is the equivlent of an IM name. You can change those at the drop of a hat, and the same can be said for domain names.

Janglur

Linoth is right.

Technically, and legally.

uncia

Linoth said:
Just a little clarification here, since websites aren't cars, and neither are businesses. Alkora owns the domain name, not the site as a whole. The "www.furaffinity.net" address. The servers, data, and so forth are another matter, if posts in another thread are to be believed, and are all owned by someone else entirely. All Alkora owns is the equivlent of an IM name. You can change those at the drop of a hat, and the same can be said for domain names.
Since you missed one off that list...

<copypaste>
Sure... The site may be back up and running, but you're telling me there's not a single line of Alkora's code left on the platform it's running on? (How much that may be patched and/or written by other people, too, is besides the point).
Can you tell me whether there's any © message on the code and whose name, if any, is on there if so...?

i.e. Probably best not to try to simplify everything into a flagwaving exercise over domain names and "holding those to ransom", please, if people don't /actually/ know the full details.

JM02c/fwiw in passing, anyhow,
d.
</copypaste>

wolfe97

alkora can only sell the domain name and ONLY isf he can prove that he paid the initial fee to register the doamin and every fee following to the doamin provider to keep the site running. if he can prove all that then he can buy a copyright on the FA domain name and then and only then can he sell all rights to the Domain name

Cray

Kitstaa (S.L.A.B) said:
[22:04] PaveSama: And did he actualy say that he'd shut down FA?
[22:04] Alkora Husky: Yea

Once again, there are three sides: the accuser's, the accused's, and the truth. Balance this screenshot against the chat log:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/HellFurry/IFAILITITISRUNNINGAWEBSITE.gif

And against Preyfar's view of things, which is markedly different than what Alkora is claiming:

http://furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=10954