• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unable to read comics in new design.

hfd4

In the new design there is no way to move to the next or previous submission. To read the comic you must open each page in a separate tab. Why not make the switch using the left/right arrows, just like on deviantart or weasyl. If you decide to make a copy of the deviantart, then please copy not only the black square overloaded design but also useful functions.

_Ivory_

COMMISSIONS OPEN!
In the new design there is no way to move to the next or previous submission. To read the comic you must open each page in a separate tab. Why not make the switch using the left/right arrows, just like on deviantart or weasyl. If you decide to make a copy of the deviantart, then please copy not only the black square overloaded design but also useful functions.
Youre not wrong. I had the same problem this morning, every time i wanted to switch to the next pic i needed to go back to the gallery and select the next one in the list.
What's the point in having a new interface if there are even less functions to it? :c

Stratelier

Depending on the artist, some comics CANNOT be reliably surfed via the mini-gallery on the old layout (i.e. switching to the next newest/oldest piece in their gallery is not the next/previous page of the comic). But many artists who submit comics seriously will include (in the piece description) links to the adjacent pages in the comic; you should be paying attention to that first.

Does at least the comic markup tag still work? (edit: yes) In the description, the artist types [prev, first, next] where each term is the submission ID (found on each page's URL).

On the viewer's end, you see a piece of text that looks like this:
<<< PREV | FIRST | NEXT >>>
with each one being a link to the relevant page.

It's a bit of work on the artist's end, yes, but it's a great help for the end user.

Last edited:

fuzzybat23

EXACTLY, removing the New and Old buttons was a major mistake. Those cannot be removed at all and should be returned to the site, if nothing else but for the very purpose of navigating comics. Having those six "See more from so-and-so" is neat but not needed at all. It definitely didn't warrant removing the New and Old buttons. In order to go back to the person's gallery, you have to click their name, then gallery, so I'd say under every picture there should be, like on the old setup, Icon thumbnails along with the words New and old and in between them Gallery, to take you back to the artists Gallery.

(pic)Newer- Gallery - (pic)Older

In the future, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a new UI in a link to let people view and discuss changes instead of just up and changing the entire site without warning.

quoting_mungo

Having those six "See more from so-and-so" is neat but not needed at all.
From what I've understood from comments on the mainsite newspost (they're not showing up for me since I'm a lazy ass mostly/only using my tablet to browse FA) they still show the same submissions that the old system would have shown. It's just practically impossible to tell which one is which in terms of sequence.

fuzzybat23

From what I've understood from comments on the mainsite newspost (they're not showing up for me since I'm a lazy ass mostly/only using my tablet to browse FA) they still show the same submissions that the old system would have shown. It's just practically impossible to tell which one is which in terms of sequence.
That may be true, but it's still not good to go from an orderly, easy to understand system like the old "Newer - Gallery - Older" system was to un-labeled chaos. That and people naturally dislike change, and to have changed forced on them suddenly and for no good reason is never a good thing. Even Gmail changed the way their page looked, but only after letting people try it first and gain feedback on how those changes would be perceived.

Stratelier

Even Gmail changed the way their page looked, but only after letting people try it first and gain feedback on how those changes would be perceived.
Um, wasn't the new FA design available on a beta subdomain for MONTHS ahead of time?