• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unaware Furries

Distorted

I was out with my brother and friends today. At some point I got to take a look at my friend's sketchbook. He's a pretty good artist, but he never pushes his work to the limits. But what had caught my eye was that most of his pictures were of anthros. He apparently had an idea for a story and game he wanted to make in the future including them. He also says that he's into most things that include anthros whether they be games, stories, art, etc. However, he doesn't say he is a furry, let alone knows what one is. I found it interesting that he could like that sort of thing and not run into the fandom. Then again he isn't really the sort you would see at a convention or anything like that.

I think it's really funny when you see someone that could pass for furry even when they don't know about it. I mean anyone could call themselves a furry I guess. But the ones that don't know are so...how do they not even find out? I have another friend that just screams furry but he doesn't really call himself one. From the art he collects to the totally cliche wolf character he draws to represent himself and even the strange things he's into. Heck he's more furry than I am I feel. But he didn't know what a furry was until I told him I was one earlier this year. I'm afraid to tell him about FA cause of what it would do to the poor guy.

Have you met or know anyone that could pass for furry but are completely unaware or in denial of the fandom?

Astrium

King of the Noodles
You should gather some other furry friends IRL (assuming you have any) and just roll around in a pack after the guy going "Join uuuuusssssss...." over and over again.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
I can't think of any, but I have seen the opposite- self-aware furs who don't want people to know. In other words, me. I just talk normal about animal stuff without calling myself furry. In reality, people don't seem to care about this stuff.

Koota

Follow them around saying "one of us" for a few days. That should work

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
I know a person who used to practice drawing with nothing but anthros.

But is actually a weeaboo and a year after drawing but anthro, he went right back into loli land.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
I drew the stuff for ten years before finding out there was a fandom centered around the kind of characters I happened to be good at.

Of course, much of that decade was pre-Internet-all-over-the-place so that part was fairly easy.

---PCJ

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
There can be a bit of shame around the name 'furry'. It has the potential to make you sound like a weird creepy loser.
Which is why some people simply prefer to call themselves 'funny animal artists' and the like. And you know, it's fully understandable.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Welp, I've always been a huge fan of anything involving animals, especially intelligent talking ones, and I've always been a fan of TF. As a teenager, I scoured the Internet for TF stories, and sci fi/fantasy stories involving intelligent animals.

As a young adult, I went from hating anything with sexual or erotic themes to actually searching actively for erotic stories, which took me to Yiffstar (which is now SoFurry), as well as a few more human-centric erotica sites.

I've also always been enamored of costumed characters and mascots, because I see the joy and fun they bring to people, the insane antics and trolling they are allowed to get away with, and because I've always been curious about the person inside of the suit.

When I first saw the CSI episode, my reaction to it was, "WOW! What an awesome idea! This has real, practical applications in psychodrama and ritual!Too bad people use this cool concept to just fuck each other and be sad, pathetic, self-hating weirdos."

Over time, I came to terms with the fact that I'm not exactly Ms. Congeniality myself ;).

So, yeah, basically an unaware furry from about Day 1.

Last edited:

Sylox

boi...chill out!
My little cousin LOVES dragons. All he draws is dragons, watches shit with dragons, buys shit with dragons and lawd knows if hentai wasn't around, he'd probably fap to them as well. I told him about furries, since he'd definitely enjoy the fandom, but he just scoffed and thought I'm weird cuz I like anthro art and have sex to it...don't ask. You should have seen his face when I told him I was a brony, he couldn't stop laughing for about 3 minutes.

PastryOfApathy

It's impossible to be "unaware" the you're a furfag. You're only a "furry" if you think yourself as such since what supposedly defines one is so broad and all-encompassing that you could make an argument for anyone supposedly being a furfag in denial or some shit.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
I've always like anthro characters and stories... as a kid, my fave show was Kimba The White Lion.

Naosrain

I have had people call me a furry before, and I felt uncomfortable because they said it with such a negative connotation. I don't really know what being a furry means, I just like drawing anthros and whatnot. So hearing them say it with such tone hurt me a little.

Synge.

o man
Sounds a lot like a couple of people I used to know. After I introduced them to the furry world, they realized what they had to do. Haha. I feel like this is how it is for a lot of furs, though.

Just about all my friends I'd consider furries in some way, though they say they are NOT.

Some examples

>Love the worgen models on warcraft.
>Enjoy werewolf romances. ]
> Love disney with mainly animal/furry characters movies
>First crushes furry (Simba ect)
>Appreciate playing Sonic, Star Fox, Sly cooper, link as a wolf ect
>Enjoys reading animal based books raither than human
>liking my little pony
>Likes the play CATS
>watches planet of the apes on opening night and loves the movie
>Pokemon/Digimon
>Loves hello kitty.

"Oh But I'm not a furry" ​ They tell me. Sure...uh-huh. You're everything but the label.

Its because everything thinks a furry is "sexual monsters who pray on children" or "people who think they are animals and messed up in the head" So everyone doesnt wanna be associated with the word furry.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but thats a furry. You need to accept it friends. Its not a bad thing!

Edit: I find it funny that many bronys deny being a furry. I'm like...thats the definition of a furry. Liking fictional animal characters given human personalities and characteristics.

Last edited:

Synge.

o man
Just about all my friends I'd consider furries in some way, though they say they are NOT.

Some examples

>liking my little pony
>Likes the play CATS
>Pokemon/Digimon
>Loves hello kitty.

"Oh But I'm not a furry" ​ They tell me. Sure...uh-huh. You're everything but the label.

Its because everything thinks a furry is "sexual monsters who pray on children" or "people who think they are animals and messed up in the head" So everyone doesnt wanna be associated with the word furry.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but thats a furry. You need to accept it friends. Its not a bad thing!

Edit: I find it funny that many bronys deny being a furry. I'm like...thats the definition of a furry. Liking fictional animal characters given human personalities and characteristics.

All this, but... I have to disagree on the bronies being furries thing. You can like MLP and be a brony but not be a furry. They don't generally have fursonas. Bronies can be furries but I would not say that they HAVE to be a fur just because they're a brony. Just like you can be a furry, watch MLP, and NOT be a brony, you can be a brony, watch MLP, and not be classified as a furry.

... so many uses of the word brony. I think I need to rest now.

PastryOfApathy

Some examples

>liking my little pony
>Likes the play CATS
>Pokemon/Digimon
>Loves hello kitty.

[My face while reading that entire post]

EMVJ5Zi.gif

Maugryph

Some examples

>liking my little pony
>Likes the play CATS
>Pokemon/Digimon
>Loves hello kitty.

Nope. Just because your friends like the things you mentioned doesn't make them a furry. The fandom is more like a group, a 'club' that has an interest in anthro animals.For example: A person can like Star Trek but that doesn't make them a 'trekkie'. Besides the definition of 'furry' is so open now that practically %90 of the human race can be labeled as one.

Last edited:

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
I have a few friends that appreciate furry art and actually find some of it rather attractive. Including my super chill boss at Little Caesars, who has seen suggestive macro stuff and actually called it pretty hot.

Furry's just a label you put on yourself if you so desire. I know plenty of people who are furries technically, and they say they don't want to call themselves that. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I used to be like that too, but I just decided to give in and get labeled. Nothing wrong with that either. Just a matter of personal choice, really.