• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Underused Feline Species?

Grae Sparrowkin

Pale Red Coyote (Call me Yote)
Name some for me, please?

'Been working on a new 'sona and would like some input on species of feline that aren't very often seen in the furry community.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
Wildcats are cool. I haven't seen many Jaguars or Panthers around either really. Or snow Leopards.

Grae Sparrowkin

^ I was thinking of Ocelot ears for my 'sona, but I am worried about the abundance of spots XD It's enough to drive me "Cruella Devil."

I prefer modest spots

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Puma.
Ocelot.
Lynx. << Especially.

Most regional wildcats are underused too.

Riavis

Ever seen a Clouded Leopard? I haven't come across one personally in the fandom (I'm sure there's some out there) and they're fairly unique.

Riavis

If you're going for weird, I remember my little sister did a report a couple years ago on Pallas's Cats. Many jokes about giving it perms were made...

Also- hi Gibby <3

Grae Sparrowkin

Holy crap, Riavis.... I can see why the jokes were made.

I am personally looking for something slinky and winter-survive-able... I am wordsmithing, here.

K

keretceres

Caracals aren't that common either :p
You could also look at Servals, Black-footed cats and African Golden Cats if you like, the Amur Leopard is another little known and rarely used species ^_^
Also if you like Ocelots and don't want to be the same as someone else, there is always the Margay, a smaller, tree climbing cat from South America.

Whatever you choose! Good luck!

*EDIT*

Sorry I missed the snow part, from that list only the Amur Leopard could live in the snow... Norwegian Forest Cats are known to live in the snow too though they are domestic cats rather than wild. (Usually)
Black footed cats CAN survive snow, but they don't particularly like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riavis

Holy crap, Riavis.... I can see why the jokes were made.

I am personally looking for something slinky and winter-survive-able... I am wordsmithing, here.

I think a less generic response to this description (which would be a snow leopard imo) would be a Snow Bengal.

Grae Sparrowkin

Hmmmm.... Had not really thought of going "Domestic" but I could go that direction.

K

keretceres

I think a less generic response to this description (which would be a snow leopard imo) would be a Snow Bengal.

^This^

Or what about the Eurasian Lynx, I can only think of 2 other people on FA with it as a Sona...and the definitely can live in the snow and are not massively bulky... The Bobcat and the Mountain Lion too actually...

Last edited by a moderator:

Grae Sparrowkin

@Keret: I know. I never said I wouldnt ever go that direction, but I said I had not thought about it before

Last edited:

thewall

Crazy Awesome
I don't know about underused feline species, but mixing up fur patterns or ear sizes might work.

Grae Sparrowkin

I'mma have to go with you all's idea of Cougar.... Panther... Mountain Lion... Big Cat

But I am going to make it GRAY AND FREAKING LIGHT BLUE DAMMIT! Cause I want to.

Hehe thank you everybody.

Grae Sparrowkin

Ohbeezus

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work
Would be nice to see more jags like me around.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Lombaxes (from Ratchet and Clank) are very feline in appearance, and I've only seen a few.