• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Underutilised Animal Posting

I second monkey / primate sonas!!! I'm one of like... 3 people on the planet it feels like LOL. I think also their "closeness to humans" is part of what I like about their anthro versions, imo it just translates so well.

Aside from primates... Insects and arachnids / various arthropods! I actually have a tarantula character sitting on my back burner. Tarantulas are absolutely beautiful and honestly, a lot of people would probably love to use their color palettes & patterns on sonas even if the sona itself isn't a tarantula.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
I second monkey / primate sonas!!! I'm one of like... 3 people on the planet it feels like LOL. I think also their "closeness to humans" is part of what I like about their anthro versions, imo it just translates so well.

Aside from primates... Insects and arachnids / various arthropods! I actually have a tarantula character sitting on my back burner. Tarantulas are absolutely beautiful and honestly, a lot of people would probably love to use their color palettes & patterns on sonas even if the sona itself isn't a tarantula.
See this is where Lemurs come in. They have all the basic primate traits but they bypass the humanlike bias by having faces that look closer to cats or dogs.

See this is where Lemurs come in. They have all the basic primate traits but they bypass the humanlike bias by having faces that look closer to cats or dogs.
Lemurs are definitely SO damn cute. And having that little rhinarium nose has that kitty look to it, same with the big round eyes LOL ;-; babies
I think lemurs are like... a good gateway primate LOL 100%. I do hope to see more monkeys and apes though in the future. Bruka Jones on twitter and koteri.ink on instagram are the ONLY two primate artists I know of off the top of my head at this point. Granted, they're both amazing, but I do wish there was more!
(by the way your icon is so so cute)

The_biscuits_532

Lemurs are definitely SO damn cute. And having that little rhinarium nose has that kitty look to it, same with the big round eyes LOL ;-; babies
I think lemurs are like... a good gateway primate LOL 100%. I do hope to see more monkeys and apes though in the future. Bruka Jones on twitter and koteri.ink on instagram are the ONLY two primate artists I know of off the top of my head at this point. Granted, they're both amazing, but I do wish there was more!
(by the way your icon is so so cute)
Awww thanks, Ani-Mates did it, she's just finished a free art thing (although I didn't partake, she approached me saying she liked my fursona and wanted to do art of her)

I'd love to see more Gibbons. They have great gremlin potential

Also Japanese Snow Monkeys. Kubo and The Two Strings did it well.

Awww thanks, Ani-Mates did it, she's just finished a free art thing (although I didn't partake, she approached me saying she liked my fursona and wanted to do art of her)

I'd love to see more Gibbons. They have great gremlin potential

Also Japanese Snow Monkeys. Kubo and The Two Strings did it well.
I love the monkey from Kubo a lot. Just a gorgeous design in general.
As for film primates, I also love Abu and Rafiki as good examples of cute monkeys LOL

D

Deleted member 111470

Apart from me, I have never met anyone who has a monkey fursona. A couple of people with primate characters - gorillas and chimps, but another person who has a monkey fursona? This might be a first.

Apart from me, I have never met anyone who has a monkey fursona. A couple of people with primate characters - gorillas and chimps, but another person who has a monkey fursona? This might be a first.
Dude, hell yeah!!! Monkeys are the best!!!
Big question: was your character inspired by sun wukong OR dragon ball z? if so... then we have even more in common LOL

D

Deleted member 111470

Dude, hell yeah!!! Monkeys are the best!!!
Big question: was your character inspired by sun wukong OR dragon ball z? if so... then we have even more in common LOL

Originally, Rimna was supposed to be a bunny. He had the same body type, eye color and fur pattern. But when I got round to joining FAF, I was playing League of Legends all the time and Wukong is my favorite character from the game. I figured, a monkey fits the bill just as much as a bunny would, when it comes to a lean, cocky anthro character.

So, yeah, Wukong is the only reason why I have a monkey fursona.

Originally, Rimna was supposed to be a bunny. He had the same body type, eye color and fur pattern. But when I got round to joining FAF, I was playing League of Legends all the time and Wukong is my favorite character from the game. I figured, a monkey fits the bill just as much as a bunny would, when it comes to a lean, cocky anthro character.

So, yeah, Wukong is the only reason why I have a monkey fursona.
Well.. perfect LOL
Jin was a D&D character of mine who was for an Asian-myth-inspired campaign. I based him loosely on Sun Wukong and I multiclassed him to have abilities combining both the myth as well as the abilities the Saiyans have in DBZ (which was like, my favorite show as a kid, albeit not so much anymore LOL). I don't play League much, but I love love love Wukong's design and everything.
I also have a sort of "side" sona who I considered for a bit who was a rabbit too :0
Is your FAF name the same as here?

The_biscuits_532

Well.. perfect LOL
Jin was a D&D character of mine who was for an Asian-myth-inspired campaign. I based him loosely on Sun Wukong and I multiclassed him to have abilities combining both the myth as well as the abilities the Saiyans have in DBZ (which was like, my favorite show as a kid, albeit not so much anymore LOL). I don't play League much, but I love love love Wukong's design and everything.
I also have a sort of "side" sona who I considered for a bit who was a rabbit too :0
Is your FAF name the same as here?
Interesting that you both thought of rabbits first.

Rabbits (Alongside the other Lagomorphs and Rodents) are humanity's next closest relatives after Primates.

Interesting that you both thought of rabbits first.

Rabbits (Alongside the other Lagomorphs and Rodents) are humanity's next closest relatives after Primates.
Euarchontoglires-- that's so wild. I guess lagomorphs and lemurs were really similar in the era just barely after dinosaurs, or maybe even during it?
That's crazy though. You have enlightened me today Biscuit LOL

Hogo

Unrespectable Member
I think Bearcats are great for anthro stuff! I didn't learn about them until recently so they're definitely underknown outside of the fandom, idk about inside it.

Man primates are amazing and Gorillas are one of my favorite animals, I only have a taste of primate-ness in the sona I'm working on (a hybrid) and I am sticking with what I got but man do I wish I could also lean more that way completely. I might make an extra OC in the future.

I used to feel a bit weird about primates because I was like 'they're too much like us' but as I've matured that's what I have come to like about them the most.

Between watching Koko (RIP) learn sign language and adopt a kitten and those recent Planet of the Apes movies I've gotten attached to primates.

And between Boone from Animal Crossing becoming one of my favorite villagers and Scarlamagne from Kipo being one of my favorite recent TV show characters I've come to really like Mandrills and think they've got a great color scheme and features to play with for a Sona.

I could probably spam this thread with insects, there are so many cool and wild looking bugs out there, maybe I'll make an insect post in this thread in the future.

I used to feel a bit weird about primates because I was like 'they're too much like us' but as I've matured that's what I have come to like about them the most.
This is me, too. As a kid I was nervous around/about(?) apes, and some monkeys, though squirrel monkeys have never NOT been cute. As I matured too I realized I love primates because of our similarities. I just love the animals in real life, as they are. I like how they're almost not quite human, but not quite animal, either-- I feel like they're almost the "goblins and orcs" /some equivalent of the real world, I guess?

Also, binturong. Good. Yes. So cute. I'd love to see one of those too, so adorable

D

Deleted member 111470

Some other species I'd like to see more of:

-Jaguars and snow leopards. These are my favorite from the big cats family.
-Bears - especially polar bears.
-Rats

Hogo

Unrespectable Member
This is me, too. As a kid I was nervous around/about(?) apes, and some monkeys, though squirrel monkeys have never NOT been cute. As I matured too I realized I love primates because of our similarities. I just love the animals in real life, as they are. I like how they're almost not quite human, but not quite animal, either-- I feel like they're almost the "goblins and orcs" /some equivalent of the real world, I guess?

Also, binturong. Good. Yes. So cute. I'd love to see one of those too, so adorable

Semi-intelligent race!

Although I prefer my Orcs intelligent so I can marry one. :p

I love fantasy races and considering how much Orc x Furry stuff I've seen I'd say they're a part of the fandom, I think. And I would love to see more people go with them as their Sonas. Be that a custom fantasy race or established one.

Semi-intelligent race!

Although I prefer my Orcs intelligent so I can marry one. :p

I love fantasy races and considering how much Orc x Furry stuff I've seen I'd say they're a part of the fandom, I think. And I would love to see more people go with them as their Sonas. Be that a custom fantasy race or established one.
I'm not sure I'd consider them part of the furry fandom, but on god the D&D fandom has SO much overlap. And a D&D fan would be lying if they said they didn't have their own D&D 'sona'.
I guess my fursona and my D&D sona just happen to be the same character!! cx

Hogo

Unrespectable Member
I'm not sure I'd consider them part of the furry fandom, but on god the D&D fandom has SO much overlap. And a D&D fan would be lying if they said they didn't have their own D&D 'sona'.
I guess my fursona and my D&D sona just happen to be the same character!! cx

I'm getting my sona commissioned right now and with his daytime form the artist said what I've hybridized resembles a bugbear a little! He's not, and I think the coloring stage will help that, but I'll have no qualms if he's mistaken for one, they've got such a great look to them.

Never had the pleasure of playing D&D but if I ever do I guess I should play a bugbear!

The_biscuits_532

I think Bearcats are great for anthro stuff! I didn't learn about them until recently so they're definitely underknown outside of the fandom, idk about inside it.

Man primates are amazing and Gorillas are one of my favorite animals, I only have a taste of primate-ness in the sona I'm working on (a hybrid) and I am sticking with what I got but man do I wish I could also lean more that way completely. I might make an extra OC in the future.

Between watching Koko (RIP) learn sign language and adopt a kitten and those recent Planet of the Apes movies I've gotten attached to primates.

And between Boone from Animal Crossing becoming one of my favorite villagers and Scarlamagne from Kipo being one of my favorite recent TV show characters I've come to really like Mandrills and think they've got a great color scheme and features to play with for a Sona.

I could probably spam this thread with insects, there are so many cool and wild looking bugs out there, maybe I'll make an insect post in this thread in the future.
Binturongs are great I love them

They always kinda look not quite with it and it's adorable

The_biscuits_532

Fact: this is the best topic on the forum

I'll dump a glorious insect masterpost soon enough but I wanna give the thread room to breathe.
I might try and dig up some reddit comments I made to similar effect in the past few months. I'm actually in a seminar atm tho lmao so afterwards.

The_biscuits_532

Aight so in the past I've suggested:

- Ruffed Lemurs (Varecia) - see the first post in this thread
- Indri (Indri Indri) - They're already pretty much irl furries, and they sound cool
- Tibetan Sand Fox (Vulpes Ferrilata) - He look grompy
- Manul (Otocolobus Manul) - Roumd kitty
- Basilisk (Basiliscus) - Funky argonian-looking fellas who can walk on water
-Caracal (Caracal Caracal) - Big Floppa
- Oncilla (Leopardus Tigrinus) - Like Ocelots but smaller. My second character is a melanistic Oncilla.
- Maned Wolf (Chrysocyon Brachyurus) - Tall boye with long leg
- Bushbaby (Galagids) - They're Gremlins
- Fossa (Cryptoprocta Ferox) - The imposter cat
- Aardwolf (Proteles Cristata) - What if Yeen but baby?
- Brown Hyena (Hyaena Brunnea) - What if Yeen but fabulous?
- Binturong (Arctictis Binturong) - Thicc imposter cat and great movie date
- Colugos (Cynocephalids) - Like Lemurs but they fly!
- Tanuki (Nyctereutes Procyonoides) - Funky raccoon dogs
- Snow Monkey (Macaca Fuscata) - Kubo did it well
- Sand Cat (Felis Margarita) - Like the Aardwolf, they are perma-baby
- Serval (Leptailurus Serval) - Long Bendy Boye
- Iberian Lynx (Lynx Pardinus) - Like me but edgy
- Gibbons (Hylobatids) - Great gremlin potential
- Coatis (Nasua/ Nasuella) - Imposter Raccoons

Foxy Emy

Two the Frog for a Tad Longer.... Get it... Tad...
Fennics! They cute! Their ears are so thin that when they blush... the shadows of their eats become pink.

Also... more Simurghs please.

be5a3c354bf11cf3fd78316a1a0bb95c.jpg