• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular gaming opinions.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
Here I kind of disagree. In interface? Yup. Openness? Nope. The game is extremely streamlined, and while that makes gameplay a bit faster, it's not as nuanced. Research appears to be just kind of linear, for example, and the overall unfolding of the game and tactics is a lot different. You don't choose the armament of your interceptors for example, don't have to worry about buying ammunition and other supplies, don't have to worry about base defence, preventing alien bases from being built / attacking / starving out alien bases, etc. The expansion promises to fix a lot of that, however... And I'm not denying the game is good. It's damn good. I just think that at release the game wasn't as good as the old one.

The original XCom was a horrible broken, bug-ridden unbalanced mess. It's practically a miracle that the game is playable at all.

Dire Newt

I think there was a bit too much in the original XCom games; lots of micro-managing that dragged the game down considerably. That said, the new one has its fair share of issues (13 out of my 20 soldiers were Snipers, wtf).

On to Unpopular Opinions!

-Final Fantasy games are largely stupid and uninteresting.

-Kingdom Hearts sucks in just about every single way it possibly can.

-Goldeneye has aged terribly and is no longer fun to play.

-Luigi's Mansion is one of Nintendo's best games.

-The best Pokemon game is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne :V

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.

Of the FEW JRPGs I like, Nocturne is at the top right beside Lost Odyssey.

I'm not interested in GTA 5.

I'm still stunned that this can really get you hated even as someone with an interest in the game. Though I suppose it's just the Internet.

I think there was a bit too much in the original XCom games; lots of micro-managing that dragged the game down considerably. That said, the new one has its fair share of issues (13 out of my 20 soldiers were Snipers, wtf).

-Goldeneye has aged terribly and is no longer fun to play.

-Luigi's Mansion is one of Nintendo's best games.

Agree with all, but the last...and that Goldeneye ain't fun. But I won't deny it's dated. Certainly WAS extremely good back in the day.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
2: WaW is actually my favorite CoD game of the lot, so I have to disagree there. X3
Really? For the single or multiplayer? I remember getting angry with it for rewarding pre-orders with multiplayer advantages but never actually got into the multi.

4: The research isn't really that linear at all, as I wound up with plasma weapons and ghost armor before laser weps, titan armor or skeleton armor (that means yes, I stuck with ballistic weapons all the way to the base invasion. And I felt like a boss for doing so. XD ). I'm not sure about when the game launched but you CAN change the weapons on your interceptors, all mine have plasma cannons. The on field gameplay is more sensible and logical in tactics and movement than the original XCOM. Ammunition and other logistics are still handled, they're just behind the scenes as part of your base budget, which makes sense since you're the base commander, not the logistics officer, it's not your job to keep each individual soldier supplied with ammo; that's what you pay your logistics officer to do. I do agree there should be more base hunting AND base defense missions, HOWEVER, I do not think we need to go back to managing multiple bases because all the other bases got used for was radar farming while most players just focused on their main base. Functionally this same role and dynamic is now accomplished via the satellites.
I'd agree with the majority of that, though if base defence missions became a thing you'd be hard pressed to keep only a single base around. After that post, I spent the rest of the night/morning before finally crashing reading some about the new XCom to refresh my memory. But there's still the lack of things like preventing terror sites from happening at all by shooting down their ships - Instead they're all selected randomly. And you can't knock out aliens by smoke inhalation...

Though Chryssalids are still terrifying as fuck. At least they're not the old one-touch-kill-now-there's-more-chryssalids bullshit.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
@Runefox

1: For the single player mostly, CoD's multiplayer has never really been able to hold my attention in the face of BF 2142 (at the time WaW was out out, I was also playing WoW as well). Nazi Zombies however was a riot, and something I have to confess I still enjoy. >.>

2: If base defense missions came around, I'd still be set because all of my 30 soldiers are colonels, they fuck up everything that comes in sight. X3 At lower levels however it would be a rough fight, but I think I'd dig it none the less. Shooting down ships, in the original game as I recall once you hit mid game it was all lulz since the aliens trying to launch terror attacks was pointless. Now you have to choose wisely what you defend since you can't cover everything. The smoke inhalation thing (which I don't recall in xcom. o_O) gets a pass because all but two enemy types (Sectoids/Thin Men) wear some manner of breathing apparatus.

Chryssalids are fucking annoying yes, but I'll take a horde of them over the pairs of cyberdisks the game insists on throwing at me. Those fuckers are the whole reason I decided fuck it, time you drop ballistics and go plasma. Two heavies with three rockets a piece are the only reason I survived my first one.

The more I think about it, the more I realize Gravity Rush is a very very underwhelming almost poor game. I'd honestly give it a 5/10.
So many things wrong that didn't need to be.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

-Goldeneye has aged terribly and is no longer fun

We asked for UN popular opinions. :p People who like Final Fantasy or KH here tend to get chased out.

Here're mine:

-FPS and Multiplayer do not mix. There are only two good FPS Multiplayers out there: Borderlands and Borderlands 2. And part of the reason they're the only good FPS multiplayers? Multiplayer is optional - you can still play if your friends are offline and you don't want to paly with random idiots who're trying to sell shoes.

-Team Fortress 2 is to Valve as Cars 2 is to Pixar. How could a company that puts so much work into their games produce such trash?

-eSports can go suck a cock. I don't give three flying shits - you have the game available to you. Ruins every game it touches - devs cater to them because it brings them money, and you get tryhards who try to mimic people they perceive to be the best.

-Minecraft is one of the most overrated games of all time. I liked it better when it was called "Gmod".

-I would much rather play a 20 hour game with 20 hours I enjoy than a 200 hour game that I only enjoy about 40 hours of because the community is full of tools.

Last edited:
We asked for UN popular opinions. :p People who like Final Fantasy or KH here tend to get chased out.

Here're mine:

-FPS and Multiplayer do not mix. There are only two good FPS Multiplayers out there: Borderlands and Borderlands 2. And part of the reason they're the only good FPS multiplayers? Multiplayer is optional - you can still play if your friends are offline and you don't want to paly with random idiots who're trying to sell shoes.

-Team Fortress 2 is to Valve as Cars 2 is to Pixar. How could a company that puts so much work into their games produce such trash?

-eSports can go suck a cock. I don't give three flying shits - you have the game available to you. Ruins every game it touches - devs cater to them because it brings them money, and you get tryhards who try to mimic people they perceive to be the best.

-Minecraft is one of the most overrated games of all time. I liked it better when it was called "Gmod".

-I would much rather play a 20 hour game with 20 hours I enjoy than a 200 hour game that I only enjoy about 40 hours of because the community is full of tools.

Wait people get shit for liking Final Fantasy around here? I had no idea. But as far as gaming goes, disliking it gets you HEAVY fire usually. KH also. Actually KH even more. And you're one to talk GMod isn't too liked around here either. xD

I also think everyone would agree with your last point.

I...

Holy shit. I don't even know where to begin with this.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
Far Cry 2 > Far Cry 3

People get angry at me when I say that for some reason

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
I prefer the first far cry but I got nowhere near finishing it

That was a fun game too, FC is a wonderful series

Only Farcry I played was Blood Dragon. ;w;

I...

Holy shit. I don't even know where to begin with this.

Now that I think about yeah. I could list a shit ton of FPS's with some kickass multiplayer. I think most genres work with it. Though it shouldn't be a crutch for some.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
You guys are surprised? I said it was unpopular. :V This is for posting unpopular opinions. In most FPS multiplayer games I find the only thing keeping me awake are the people barking orders over voice chat, the explosions, or the background music people love embedding into the server while wondering why they keep lagging.

More unpopular opinions:

-Hating a game because of its fans is only valid in a multiplayer-only game. In a multiplayer game, players ARE content.

-I would love to see a game whre you are playing the role of someone and you guide them through their lives, but I don't think gamers would be ready for it unless you can go around punching random people or go on a murdering spree. (Because after all, games HAVE to have a sense of empowerment or else gamers will hate them.)

-Most people who claim to be fans of a franchise or series are really only fans of one or two certain entries.

-I don't mind "linearity" because if you want to tell a story, you have to be linear. Even if the story is told through logs or books, you have to put them in SOME semblance of chronological order.

Wait people get shit for liking Final Fantasy around here? I had no idea. But as far as gaming goes, disliking it gets you HEAVY fire usually. KH also. Actually KH even more. And you're one to talk GMod isn't too liked around here either. xD.

Swap places? From my experiences... threads about FF or KH tend to devolve into flame wars of people saying "I hate the games. You guys are all fanboys" or "The games were good until this crowd discovered them - clearly the single player games suck because the fans the game never forces you to interact with are sucky."

Last edited:
You guys are surprised? I said it was unpopular. :V This is for posting unpopular opinions. In most FPS multiplayer games I find the only thing keeping me awake are the people barking orders over voice chat, the explosions, or the background music people love embedding into the server while wondering why they keep lagging.

Surprised yes, but not mad. Relax.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
EDIT: Taking this here.
i know it's a bit of an unpopular opinion... but I think the only reason that game even got noticed beyond a small crowd of dedicated fans was because it was MLP. If it started out being say, some completely new franchise period, it'd have probably gotten SOME attention when someone like TotalBiscuit does a video on it or it gets an article on Kotakualuealuealeuale and then faded into obscurity kinda like MUGEN did.

Absolutely right. It was a blatant ripoff of Street Fighter III or MvC2. One of the two, I can't remember. Both awesome fighters that did their OWN thing. FigIM just put a pony skin on it. If that actually showed up at EVO, I would have quit...everything.

Speaking of fighters.
Brawl>Melee. I really don't care how fast or technical Melee is. I prefer the smoother game. One that doesn't have SIGNIFICANT input lag, a nauseating camera, or clone characters out the ass.

I dunno, people tend to define themselves by gaming. :V

You're offending me.

Last edited:

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
I loved the Legend of Spyro series.

Why does it get so much hate? :c
Hate skylanders instead