• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular opinions 2.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Wait, waitwaitwaitwaitwait......this was considered racist by anyone ever? :/

It was a commonplace racial slur in the 20th century, used to refer to people with dark skin.

It's a shortening of 'raccoon', and refers to the banded patterns in theatrical 'black face' make up, that used to be popular.

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Unpopular opinion battle!

Alt culture doesn't exist, and is based on nothing more than an aesthetic informed by musical tastes.
You can just throw on makeup and say you’re goth or toss on a sleeveless jacket and say you’re punk, if you look the part what you believe is irrelevant.
Taking punk as an example, the Sex Pistols specifically (basic bitch band i know), they were basically formed by Malcolm McLaren as a means to help him sell clothes. Such scenes have been subject to corporate exploitation ever since they were formed, with those "counter culture" aesthetics being packaged in increasingly safe and shallow products designed simply to make a profit. Identifying with such "alternative" scenes does nothing to counter the status quo, it's just identifying with the status quo's approved visual alternative.
Ah so you hang around a lot of punks than? go to any shows or bars yeah?
Like idk bout you but there is a culture to it and it far exceeds the aesthetic.
There is quite a history really.
And part of that is fighting against bigots and removing them from the scene. So like Heyo~

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
It was a commonplace racial slur in the 20th century, used to refer to people with dark skin.

It's a shortening of 'raccoon', and refers to the banded patterns in theatrical 'black face' make up, that used to be popular.
I know the fact that it's a racial slur or was used as one, but I think I read up that it came from a certain breed of hunting dog, the coondog, that was used to hunt escaped slaves(and raccoons) - but I'm not putting money on this.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Thanks for that, I'm unfamiliar with the history of the term.
That said, context is always key.

Just because I say I like eating crackers doesn't mean I like eating humans with a particular melanin chemistry.
So I see no reason why people with raccoon fursonas can't give themselves lil nicknames based on the species, so long as it was obvious.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I know the fact that it's a racial slur or was used as one, but I think I read up that it came from a certain breed of hunting dog, the coondog, that was used to hunt escaped slaves(and raccoons) - but I'm not putting money on this.

Well...that got even darker than expected.
Moving on.

Mcdonalds Fries are as addicting as an actual drug and no one can convince me otherwise.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Mcdonalds Fries are as addicting as an actual drug and no one can convince me otherwise.
I think it is a scientific fact that they're chemical beyond being a normal dish! but they don't really cause withdrawal effects or something, so I don't think they're as addictive as hard drugs.

Yakamaru

I put the fun in dysfunctional
Drug addicts? On MY FORUM?!

Ah so you hang around a lot of punks than? go to any shows or bars yeah?
Like idk bout you but there is a culture to it and it far exceeds the aesthetic.
There is quite a history really.
And part of that is fighting against bigots and removing them from the scene. So like Heyo~
For my entire life, yes, and i go to underground shows if they seem interesting enough. You meet people of all stripes in such places.
What you're talking about are politically informed cliques within those broad scenes, specifically the pushback against nazi punks and the corruption of the Oi! scene. Such battles are not an intrinsic aspect of these scenes, but they do exist in part because of the anti establishment aesthetics of it. It draws political outsiders, so i can understand your beliefs regarding this topic.

I don't believe this is a conversation we can continue, given the site's rules.

sleepy kitty

soft, smol catto
Sorry, but I don't believe in the existence of empaths. I'm not trying to target or ridicule people who either believe in them or believe that they are an empath, and I apologise if my opinion is offensive to anyone.

I only believe there are people who have higher levels of empathy than others (primarily due to past abuse). But I don't believe it's some sort of psychic ability.

I used to wonder if I were an empath or not, until an ex friend of mine kept bragging about her "psychic empath abilities", yet we all realized she was nothing but a narcissist with no empathy at all. One day, she coldly told me to just get over the loss of my cat after I mentioned it twice, while for like half a year before this, she cried about the death of her dog every single day for months on end.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Sorry, but I don't believe in the existence of empaths. I'm not trying to target or ridicule people who either believe in them or believe that they are an empath, and I apologise if my opinion is offensive to anyone.

I only believe there are people who have higher levels of empathy than others (primarily due to past abuse). But I don't believe it's some sort of psychic ability.

I used to wonder if I were an empath or not, until an ex friend of mine kept bragging about her "psychic empath abilities", yet we all realized she was nothing but a narcissist with no empathy at all. One day, she coldly told me to just get over the loss of my cat after I mentioned it twice, while for like half a year before this, she cried about the death of her dog every single day for months on end.

I agree and disagree.

Allow me to push the limits further; Being Psychic and being educated about Psychology and the effects of mental mastery...are one in the same. "Magick" is just applying science in a way that benefits you - as science is what scares people, as well as was considered witchcraft way back when.

Yes, this includes "Empathic abilities". Just because you're good at picking up on microexpressions, doesn't mean you were born with sparkles up your butt. :p

Now, that isn't to say a belief system is any less effective. Just knowing where a thing (in this case "magick") stems from, and how to manipulate them to your advantage...that's what matters.

sleepy kitty

soft, smol catto
I agree and disagree.

Allow me to push the limits further; Being Psychic and being educated about Psychology and the effects of mental mastery...are one in the same. "Magick" is just applying science in a way that benefits you - as science is what scares people, as well as was considered witchcraft way back when.

Yes, this includes "Empathic abilities". Just because you're good at picking up on microexpressions, doesn't mean you were born with sparkles up your butt. :p

Now, that isn't to say a belief system is any less effective. Just knowing where a thing (in this case "magick") stems from, and how to manipulate them to your advantage...that's what matters.
I agree with you! Psychic power does imo exist, but a lot of people fake it just to look all cool and mystical.

Yakamaru

I put the fun in dysfunctional
I agree with you! Psychic power does imo exist, but a lot of people fake it just to look all cool and mystical.

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Everyone should be allowed to change their name legally for free with little paperwork at all preferably any time but at least one freebie to allow people to chose their own names and wether or not they wish to remain tied to a name they were born with and into.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
The life of a young child or baby is worth considerably less than that of an adult.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
The life of a young child or baby is worth considerably less than that of an adult.
In what context? Who is saying this?

Punji

Vaskebjørn
In what context? Who is saying this?
In any context where life is being measured.

If a baby and a young adult are trapped in a burning building it's better to let the baby die instead.

I imagine most people would argue he opposite, because baby.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
-Horizontal cultural relativism is a way to stand for nothing and in the way of everything, while getting to feel virtuous for doing so.

-"Personhood" has no real definition. The criteria for being a "person" are constantly shifted to keep the term exclusive to humans, even those so dysfunctional that they don't meet the standards themselves. There's no good, secular reason cetaceans, apes, elephants, corvids, etc. can't be "people" too.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
In any context where life is being measured.

If a baby and a young adult are trapped in a burning building it's better to let the baby die instead.

I imagine most people would argue he opposite, because baby.
I mean, it'd be standard firefighting procedure to take the baby out of the burning domicile since they are more vulnerable and historically children are among the first to be evacuated and saved in an emergency.

Like, you said most people would say regard the baby or child first, if it came down to the unlikely event of having to choose between a child and adult.

It's always interesting to hear your takes on child welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.