• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular opinions 2.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakamaru

I put the fun in dysfunctional
I think tattoos for the most part look nasty, especially when they're all over the place; it's especially unappealing on women.
Depends on where and what it is, really.

I am considering getting a wolf paw tattoo on both my shoulders.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

Punji

Vaskebjørn
+_a8241acc6aca2c7bf4b80f7502aa8a9c.jpg

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Labels arent bad, don't want to be labeled something the simple answer is don't be that something.

I say this because too often people try to say they arent something just because there is someone else up one rung higher on the ladder of dedication in that classification.

Like a murderer is a murderer just because Steve killed three people doesnt make bob any less a murderer for killing one. Steve is just seemingly a better and more dedicated murderer is all.

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
Sometimes the closest beings may stab you in your back and hurt you bad, and also sometimes, the ones you never really put emphasis on may save your A in need.

The only and the very being that doesn't reverse without warning is yourself. Be nice to yourself UwU

Yakamaru

Taking offense doesn't really mean anything.

Fallowfox

Since there have been a wide variety of posts expressing fear that we will be forced to be sexually attracted to transgender bodies in the future,
I thought, as somebody who made similar comments in the past, I would post to say that I think this fear is fabricated and that- when we join in with this, we're contributing to stereotypes that hold back the aim we all agree with of liberty and equality for everybody.

It's a distraction that stops us from concentrating on what is actually a political struggle, by aiming to make us feel like we're threatened and victimised by liberty for trans people.
In a world of very real threats, where it's often still legal to fire somebody or deny them health care coverage because of gender identity, we end up wasting time worrying about imaginary threats instead.

There is a long history of people who want liberty being represented as threats to the rest of us.
The right of same sex couples to marry was represented as a threat to religious freedom.
Acknowledging our existence in schools was treated as a threat to the purity of children, as if it was an effort to pollute their minds.
Similarly pernicious stereotypes against Jewish folk usually revolve around trying to portray them as a powerful threat to the rest of us.

We're familiar with this. We know that these threats are non existent.
With clear heads, we know that there is no more a risk that liberty for transgender folk will mean we are forced to be sexually attracted to transgender bodies than liberty for gay people meant that straight men would be forced to be attracted to other men.

Saokymo

Art Cookie
*sigh*

Look, I get it - as a trans person, I have non-standard genitals and that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. That’s fine! I‘ve never expected everyone to be attracted to me, cos that’s not how sexual/romantic attraction works. The issue of offense here boils down to how that lack of attraction is expressed.

”Sorry - you’re not my type.” < Perfectly valid, straightforward and covers all the bases without insulting anyone. You’re politely rejecting a single person for basic lack of attraction, and not singling out any particular aspect of them in the process. Most people will accept this without issue or offense. People who refuse to take “no” for an answer or try to force themselves on others are shitty people, regardless of whatever demographic they fall into.

”Sorry - I don’t date transgender people.” < Replace “transgender people” with any other group - black people, white people, furries, etc. - and you can see how that particular phrasing starts to become offensive. You’re no longer rejecting a single person, but an entire group at once. It comes off as prejudiced cos it applies a broad brush (and usually invokes negative stereotypes in the process) to the entire group of people, even though you’re only dealing with one specific person.

TL;DR: it’s okay to not be attracted to people for various reasons, including sexual incompatibility. It’s not cool to write off entire demographics with a broad brush when you’re dealing with one individual. People who force themselves on others are shitty no matter what, but that still doesn’t make base prejudice against their groups okay.

Can we stop bitching about transgender people now?

D

Deleted member 111470

The people who say "rap music is only about N words and fookin biaches and money and cars and drugs" are the same people who say "metal music is only about killing and satan and screaming and drugs and alcohol and fookin biaches".

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
< Replace “transgender people” with any other group - black people, white people, furries, etc. - and you can see how that particular phrasing starts to become offensive.
I'm thinking to myself "I'm not interested in dating men/women" and I find that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and it doesn't even sound bad, so..

Fallowfox

I'm thinking to myself "I'm not interested in dating men/women" and I find that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and it doesn't even sound bad, so..

I guess the context is a little different for transgender people since they often face demeaning commentary that their bodies are not attractive and so forth.

In any case, it's a bit weird that a big response to trans people wanting liberty is 'but I don't want to date them,'.

We're both gay, so it's easy for me to present an analogy.
We're both happy that France and Britain mostly offer us equal standing under law to straight folk.
Would it make sense for a straight man to express his concern that gay people want to make it socially unacceptable for him to refuse to date Frank Gulotta?

Probably not. ;D Our mission isn't to force straight men to date Frank.

Unless...

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I guess the context is a little different for transgender people since they often face demeaning commentary that their bodies are not attractive and so forth.

In any case, it's a bit weird that a big response to trans people wanting liberty is 'but I don't want to date them,'.

We're both gay, so it's easy for me to present an analogy.
We're both happy that France and Britain mostly offer us equal standing under law to straight folk.
Would it make sense for a straight man to express his concern that gay people want to make it socially unacceptable for him to refuse to date Frank Gulotta?

Probably not. ;D Our mission isn't to force straight men to date Frank.

Unless...
I'm not sure to follow, everybody has liberty in this context. Everything you're saying amounts to not having people be rude, which is not a right that anybody has.

Saokymo

Art Cookie
Cos that falls under basic sexual attraction and isn’t singling out any particular minority group. It’s people naming specific subgroups that makes it icky. “I’m not attracted to black men.“ “I don’t date Jewish women.” Etc.

See the difference?

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Cos that falls under basic sexual attraction and isn’t singling out any particular minority group. It’s people naming specific subgroups that makes it icky. “I’m not attracted to black men.“ “I don’t date Jewish women.” Etc.

See the difference?
Nope

I mean men too are a minority in most countries, so what?

Fallowfox

I'm not sure to follow, everybody has liberty in this context. Everything you're saying amounts to not having people be rude, which is not a right that anybody has.

'Yuck, I don't want to date transgender people,'
This is a rude comment. People are welcome to their own preferences, but they don't have to try to make other people feel disgusting.

If you want to be rude, go ahead, if that makes you happy- but you may discover people return the favour.

'Social progressives don't accept that sexual preference can't be changed- they should stop trying to shame me into dating transgender people'
This isn't just rude- it is nonsense. Transgender people aren't interested in having unwanted dates with Frank. They want liberty.

They currently lack essential liberties in many western countries. The aims are eliminating discrimination in housing, employment and medicine, for example. Things we all agree with.

Saokymo

Art Cookie
Nope

I mean men too are a minority in most countries, so what?
Aha, got it - you’re purposefully acting obtuse to derail the conversation into an endless circle and/or bait certain users into a response. I mean if you’d rather be openly bigoted toward people & groups you don’t like then go right ahead, but don’t act all butthurt when people call you on your shit.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
'Yuck, I don't want to date transgender people,'
This is a rude comment. People are welcome to their own preferences, but they don't have to try to make other people feel disgusting.

If you want to be rude, go ahead, if that makes you happy- but you may discover people return the favour.

'Social progressives don't accept that sexual preference can't be changed- they should stop trying to shame me into dating transgender people'
This isn't just rude- it is nonsense. Transgender people aren't interested in having unwanted dates with Frank. They want liberty.

They currently lack essential liberties in many western countries. The aims are eliminating discrimination in housing, employment and medicine, for example. Things we all agree with.
Well YOU made it sound like a disgusted comment, why do you think you have to do that and then try to make it about rights? again I don't think this is about rights at all, neither should it be about putting words in anyone's mouth, because if you have to do that in order to have a case... I'm fraid you don't have one.
Aha, got it - you’re purposefully acting obtuse to derail the conversation into an endless circle and/or bait certain users into a response. I mean if you’d rather be openly bigoted toward people & groups you don’t like then go right ahead, but don’t act all butthurt when people call you on your shit.
Obtuse? I'm not the one bringing up a silly logic and hoping that nobody shows why it doesn't make much sense.

Yakamaru

The people who say "rap music is only about N words and fookin biaches and money and cars and drugs" are the same people who say "metal music is only about killing and satan and screaming and drugs and alcohol and fookin biaches".
Wut. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.