• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I disagree that Schizophrenia/bipolar are the only disorders with loose grip of reality being a symptom. Autism, ADHD and more can do this but in mild to severe but it mostly ignored.
Mental health infrastructure has diminished heavily since Kennedy died in the US.

P

Purplefuzz

Mental health infrastructure has diminished heavily since Kennedy died in the US.

True, No idea why it ignored in autism since it a twin to Schizophrenia in what triggers it. But then again there proof having both disorders can happen.

Also ADHD is why more than just "oh shiny" it like a diet version of bipolar.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
True, No idea why it ignored in autism since it a twin to Schizophrenia in what triggers it. But then again there proof having both disorders can happen.

Also ADHD is why more than just "oh shiny" it like a diet version of bipolar.
Yeah, autism has a pretty high rate of comorbidity with other disorders.
I'm probably bipolar but haven't been diagnosed since it doesn't seem to affect my life much. (Already on disability for the autism, so I don't have to interact with people much)

As far as your assessment on ADHD... I'm not sure. I think it's kind of a disservice to make a wide statement.
Keep in mind there are multiple forms of bipolar with varying degrees of effect.

P

Purplefuzz

As far as your assessment on ADHD... I'm not sure. I think it's kind of a disservice to make a wide statement.
Keep in mind there are multiple forms of bipolar with varying degrees of effect.

Depression is a common symptom and the dangerous behaviour common with ADHD overlaps with bipolar. It pretty common for adults with it to be assumed biploar as misdignosis.

There a reason why a 2nd dignoisis is needed with treatment resistent depression for ADHD. If drugs like concerta fix their symptoms.

Yeah, autism has a pretty high rate of comorbidity with other disorders.
I'm probably bipolar but haven't been diagnosed since it doesn't seem to affect my life much. (Already on disability for the autism, so I don't have to interact with people much)

This is why i find Chris chan treatment beyond gross and ableist.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Depression is a common symptom and the dangerous behaviour common with ADHD overlaps with bipolar. It pretty common for adults with it to be assumed biploar as misdignosis.

There a reason why a 2nd dignoisis is needed with treatment resistent depression for ADHD.
I don't deny the chance of comorbidity. Just wary about conflating the two is all.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
I hate 4k. Everyone says it makes it look fluid and real. But all I see are the pixels stretching across the screen and it looks awful.
"Your TV just isn't set right"
Then NO ONE knows how to set their TV, 'cause I see it on all of them!!!

Your 4K TV isn't set right.

Sorry, but I can see a vast improvement as long as the content itself is 4K. HDR and 10-bit color alone is worth the price of entry. But if he content is HD (or worse) then there's no real improvement.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Your 4K TV isn't set right.

Sorry, but I can see a vast improvement as long as the content itself is 4K. HDR and 10-bit color alone is worth the price of entry. But if he content is HD (or worse) then there's no real improvement.

"Improvement" isn't the issue here. It does look different. I just don't think it looks better because I can see what effect is being used. And if my parents' TV isn't set right, and none of the TV's in the stores are set right, then whose is? XD

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert

There a reason why a 2nd dignoisis is needed with treatment resistent depression for ADHD. If drugs like concerta fix their symptoms.

Bipolars are frequently misdiagnosed as ADHD and their depression ignored, especially when they're young and especially bipolar II.

Also, I had the fun of being autistic before the diagnosis was broadened in the early-2000s to be more inclusive. I was first diagnosed as autistic spectrum in my early-20s.

Also, ADHD and bipolar mania are absolutely nothing alike other than being more active, but you have to actually pay attention to the behaviors to see it the difference.

(I was misdiagnosed as ADHD until I was 11yo and as an adult worked in a school for students with emotional disabilities.)

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
This isn't an unpopular opinion, but it's not talked about enough:

Mental illness in general is grossly underdiagnosed, but depression is probably the most common and the biggest stumbling block is social stigma about having an illness, seeking treatment and medication compliance. The fact people in 2020 still view mental illness as a personal failing that can be overcome by willpower alone, or even demonic possession, is embarrassing and needs to end.

The US is using the police and prison system to do what medical professionals and mental hospitals really need to be doing and they're woefully undertrained - and frankly most don't have the temperament - to do it properly.

While the state hospital system was often horrific as implemented, there simply does need to be a place where the severely mentally ill can be placed in long-term care. Most mental hospitals today are crisis-only and patients leave within only a few days or weeks when the immediate crisis has ended, with zero support for longer-term treatment.

Couple that with the fact so many of the severely mentally ill have poor healthcare coverage, if they have it at all, and mental health coverage is not a guaranteed part of what they might have and the price of medication in many cases they go untreated for no other reason than they can't afford it.

Also, part of the stigma is the harmful belief that the mentally ill are violent, which comes up every time gun control is mentioned, and the facts are that the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of crime and violent crime than neurotypical people. Schizophrenia specifically - with how scary the mass media makes it out - is more likely to leave someone cationic and helpless than running around murdering people.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
All Confederate monuments should be torn down, yes. But afterward, the bronze from all the statues needs to be melted down and recast into a single, massive statue of General Sherman standing proudly atop a defeated yokel.

Renyard2001

I don't like Back to the Future. I can appreciate what it's done for the sci-fi genre, but I don't like it.

Felix Bernard

Chemist, Conservative, Mark Levin fan
I believe pineapple is good on pizza

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I don't like Back to the Future. I can appreciate what it's done for the sci-fi genre, but I don't like it.

great_scott_back_to_the_future.gif

Kit H. Ruppell

Those screeching "ECOFASCISM!" at mere mention of human population are only revealing their own disregard for the environment and the other species we share it with. They so fiercely defend the pedestal they place humanity upon that they may as well be creationists going on about "dominion". I've long suspected these types never gave a fuck about these things, and they're finally coming out and saying it.

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned
Graffiti is art not vandalism, and every area should provide locations that people can freely express themselves with that art.

Kit H. Ruppell

Philosophers are not "authorities", they're just people with famous opinions.

lemonadevik

Lemonade Goblin
If someone wants to go into a certain trade they should be able to take classes on that over general academics. If someone knows they want to go into engineering they should have classes that would allow them to specialize in mathematics and science over ELA and history. While all classes are important (we should all be literate, know our history, do basic math, etc etc), we shouldn't have to take a class/stress over a class that won't help us in our future careers. Especially since a lot of colleges (especially art schools) look for skills that are already developed or have a good basis to build upon, it makes sense to begin building the skills in high school.

Limedragon27

I don't feel like sexuality is something to be proud of. I understand why pride month exists and am not against it, I just see way too many people who are overly prideful about their sexuality or being transgender, FA is crazy over pictures of all sorts of prides right now with the flags and whatnot. For me, I never felt my Bisexuality was something to be proud of, nothing to ashamed of of course, but nothing to be proud of, to me it's just something that is because of how my interests shaped me when I was growing up and going through puberty. I feel like sexuality is just something that is, nothing to be proud or ashamed of. I think instead of a "pride" month celebrating "gay pride", I think it should be a month to spread awareness and shed support for the non-straights who are struggling and have to live under hateful/unaccepting parents or live in anti-lgbt areas, let them know someone is there for them.

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned
I don't feel like sexuality is something to be proud of. I understand why pride month exists and am not against it, I just see way too many people who are overly prideful about their sexuality or being transgender, FA is crazy over pictures of all sorts of prides right now with the flags and whatnot. For me, I never felt my Bisexuality was something to be proud of, nothing to ashamed of of course, but nothing to be proud of, to me it's just something that is because of how my interests shaped me when I was growing up and going through puberty. I feel like sexuality is just something that is, nothing to be proud or ashamed of. I think instead of a "pride" month celebrating "gay pride", I think it should be a month to spread awareness and shed support for the non-straights who are struggling and have to live under hateful/unaccepting parents or live in anti-lgbt areas, let them know someone is there for them.

So for me.
What makes me proud of being trans is the path in life it has taken me on and what I’ve been able to go and live through.
To be able to become who I am as a person likely wouldn’t be the same if I wasn’t trans. Yeah it meant and still means a lot of pain for me like loss of family connections and friends and such but it has enabled me to care and foster the bonds with those who are with me for me all the more.
It has shown me how resilient I am as I live my life openly as me in a society where I am a second class citizen not granted equal rights. That all the scars on my soul over time have made me able to weather some of the worst people throw at me while yes I do remain a super sensitive emotional bitch.

so for me that is why I’m proud that I’m trans.

but if others don’t feel the same more power to them and I respect the way you walk and the view you have as well ^~^

I have certain problems with the concept of "art" or how it is used online. I call myself an "artist" because it's the most extended word used on places like FA, for example, but I don't think that someone who draws is necessarily an artist, and of course, not all pictures are art. I think most of us move between the "person who draws" to the "illustrator" category, but very few can truly be considered artists.

P

Purplefuzz

That because many places will shut anyone down if LGBT. In the 1987 good luck having fun at a bar if mildly openly gay/bi.

Status
Not open for further replies.