• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Judge Spear

I talked about this a few weeks ago in another thread with Kope but I really want to slam them here.

Bethesda has the worst character design artists in all of AAA gaming.
The cryptid freaks they insist on making you play as must be designed with spite in mind. That or they are not looking at people and other games/art as they create their models. They have yet to ship a single mainline title that isn't aggressively hideous.
They literally only just now got it somewhat right with ESO. They finally figured out that cats are universally pleasing creatures to look at.

Yhf5gDI.jpg
p2shmfm6awu41.png

Shouldn't be no more complicated than this. But of course it wasn't all good because Argonians are *fucked* in that game. I don't know who approves shit over there.
We have to play as these characters, Howard.
For upwards to 400 hours, Howard.
I'd like something aesthetically pleasing without relying on your community, Howard.

FVOL4fXWYAIei8C.jpg

Last edited:

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I talked about this a few weeks ago in another thread with Kope but I really want to slam them here.

Bethesda has the worst character design artists in all of AAA gaming.
The cryptid freaks they insist on making you play as must be designed with spite in mind. That or they are not looking at people and other games/art as they create their models. They have yet to ship a single mainline title that isn't aggressively hideous.
They literally only just now got it somewhat right with ESO. They finally figured out that cats are universally pleasing creatures to look at.

Yhf5gDI.jpg
p2shmfm6awu41.png

Shouldn't be no more complicated than this. But of course it wasn't all good because Argonians are *fucked* in that game. I don't know who approves shit over there.
We have to play as these characters, Howard.
For upwards to 400 hours, Howard.
I'd like something aesthetically pleasing without relying on your community, Howard.

View attachment 134162
They've been getting better, at least. Skyrim Argonians aren't as ugly as Oblivion Argonians, although they have a look that stares into your soul. Same with Kahjiit. They look... better in Skyrim, but have some uncanny facial expressions. Their happy face that's SUPPOSED to look pleasant just looks WROOOOOOOOONG.

...But I'd still play as them over the other races. In Oblivion, all the races looked kinda bad. Even the humans didn't look quite right.

TheFakeMechnik

[OPERATIVE, LEADER] Stop with calling me a bean.
not sure if [A] roblox myth counts [BUT]..

The days unions lore is too much, kind of ruins it all together.

Fatal

My boyfriend TheFakeMechnik is the cutest bean
Undertale has to much lore and the fact that MatPat said Sans is Ness just ticked me off.

Judge Spear

They've been getting better, at least. Skyrim Argonians aren't as ugly as Oblivion Argonians, although they have a look that stares into your soul. Same with Kahjiit. They look... better in Skyrim, but have some uncanny facial expressions. Their happy face that's SUPPOSED to look pleasant just looks WROOOOOOOOONG.

...But I'd still play as them over the other races. In Oblivion, all the races looked kinda bad. Even the humans didn't look quite right.
Yeah, Skyrim Argonians arent bad. Maybe a little TOO over the top reptilian? Their heads clash with their very stock bodies sometimes. But they aren't ugly at least.
I like what they appear to be doing with Khajiit's in ESO in that they resemble actually different species instead of "vaguely feline". I would like to see that with Argonians instead of just squashing and contorting their features haphazardly like they did in ESO. Not all reptiles, most in fact, aren't these ShadowGate ass violent looking demon dragons. I mean keep that, but a touch of variety would be neat.

Skyrim Khajiit's look like withered people. Their texture work and feature placement is so bad. They're -eons- better than the Oblivion Khajiits because whoever made those hate cats and hate people who wanted to play as one. But Skyrim's are still pretty grotesque.

Seriously what are these fucking textures? Is he made of paper Mache?
c1125644b89d1760567c6ece7e9cbba5.png

I know he's not a cat, but look at Fox 9 years prior with far less of a budget and tragic dev cycle.
2be87775bc2006a74547d10193439624.png

And here's what a whole 2 mods from some guys working at Kroger's or Staples or something got me.
ScreenShot158.png

Chaosmasterdelta

Rule Breaker
I found fortnight to be just ok. Though I liked the building part of the game, it takes up a ridiculous amount of memory (about 80 GB) and it takes a long time to even start it.

I like to play one game at a time instead of trying to play a whole bunch at once. I also like to move on from a game when I am satisfied with how completed it is (usually when the main story is complete or, if it doesn't have anything like a main story, whenever I have tried most of the things in it).

Halo 4 was one of the best Halo games they made.

While Halo Reach was good. I felt it wasn't good enough due to its rather short campaign.

KimberVaile

Self congratulatory title goes here
Halo 4 was one of the best Halo games they made.

While Halo Reach was good. I felt it wasn't good enough due to its rather short campaign.
Reach was close to the peak, imo. Though I honestly thought the original Halo was the strongest Halo game. Best Ai, level design and close to the best enemy design, sans the flood. Which, even in Halo 3, was considered weak compared to the covenant.

Judge Spear

I went back to Halo 4 in November and quit in the first mission. I don't know how you guys stomach it.
I don't know how MY ass did it when it was new.

KimberVaile

I went back to Halo 4 in November and quit in the first mission. I don't know how you guys stomach it.
I don't know how MY ass did it when it was new.
I mean, it's almost literally the same experience I had. The game was so painfully dull and neutered compared to what came before. Somehow the fifth Halo was even worse than that, which is an accomplishment in it's own right.

As I understand it, a bunch of former Dice developers helped develop Halo 4, which. You know, enough said. Halo Infinite was the only passable non Bungie Halo they made imo. But, that's just me.

Last edited:

Judge Spear

I mean, it's almost literally the same experience I had. The game was so painfully dull and neutered compared to what came before. Somehow the fifth Halo was even worse than that, which is an accomplishment in it's own right.

As I understand it, a bunch of former Dice developers helped develop Halo 4, which. You know, enough said. Halo Infinite was the only passable non Bungie Halo they made imo. But, that's just me.
I dunno. Battlefield 3 and Mirror's Edge were great games that came out around the time 4 was being developed so I'd personally expect better.

But I don't know why 343 can't make a quality Halo game. They had the building blocks in place for Infinite to be good and then they fucked everything surrounding it. It felt good to play and the maps were great. That was it.

Man being a Halo fan SUCKS. lol
I thought being a Sonic fan post 2012 was bad, but Halo is in the fucking doghouse. 4 was bad, 5 was bad, Infinite is bad. You have a show by people who openly spite the fanbase and proudly claim they know fuck all about the IP There's no other supplementary content to my knowledge worth enjoying.
All you got is the MCC, old games, which is about to do some fuck shit to open the gates for further typical AAA nonsense down the line.

unknown.png

And it's not even like Halo games are particularly frequent. So when one is shit, looks like that's another 5-7 years of your finite existence before another shot at something worth a damn. lol

KimberVaile

I dunno. Battlefield 3 and Mirror's Edge were great games that came out around the time 4 was being developed so I'd personally expect better.

But I don't know why 343 can't make a quality Halo game. They had the building blocks in place for Infinite to be good and then they fucked everything surrounding it. It felt good to play and the maps were great. That was it.

Man being a Halo fan SUCKS. lol
I thought being a Sonic fan post 2012 was bad, but Halo is in the fucking doghouse. 4 was bad, 5 was bad, Infinite is bad. You have a show by people who openly spite the fanbase and proudly claim they know fuck all about the IP There's no other supplementary content to my knowledge worth enjoying.
All you got is the MCC, old games, which is about to do some fuck shit to open the gates for further typical AAA nonsense down the line.

View attachment 134234

And it's not even like Halo games are particularly frequent. So when one is shit, looks like that's another 5-7 years of your finite existence before another shot at something worth a damn. lol
Yup, lol.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely relieved to see the Foreunners and Prometheans dropped like a rock. Terrible and boring enemy design. Keeping it to just the covenant was a relief. Yet they still keep shit like aim down sights.

"It's more realistic" Is an absolutely idiotic reasoning for why a mechanic should be in a game. I want whats enjoyable, and hipfire encourages more use of movement, encourages faster paced combat and meshes SO much better with melee and grenade mechanics. Halo always had Unreal Tournament and Quake DNA in it, and it's always been better for that. But nah man, let's get aim down sights in there, and hey how about some squad mechanics too? Fuck off.

Like, I'm not a hard core traditionalist when it comes to what a game 'should be' but at the same time, the game direction for what is added to the game in terms of mechanics is leaning more towards military shooters and less so towards about the original base of gameplay fundamentals. Fundamentals which leaned more in the direction of the Quake era shooters than military shooters. The devs had a couple grab bag of ideas they could have reached into to use to further develop the series. Yet, of all the wells of inspiration they could have drawn from to find ways to add to the game, they decide, yeah fuck all those old fast paced arena shooters, let's look at Military Shooters.

Military shooters, in a game about being stuck on a giant life ending ring where you fight alien midgets, samurai Ridley scott aliens, and shaved 'roid wookies.
What a great fit for grounded military shooter mechanics. Just amazing.

I suppose that's why I gave Halo Infinite some credit, the grappling hook at least seemed like Halo was finally taking little baby steps in the right direction.

I don't even want to get started with the god awful TV show. The TV show alone made me question why I even liked Halo to begin with. I had to play some of the original games to remind myself why I even liked the series at all with how embarrassingly the show handled the characters and lore.

Just look at the fucking people who LIKE the TV show. Maybe 5% of them are people who actually played the original games. Most of the people hyping up that piece of dogshit are people who never played any of the games. And I've already bitched about how the MCC is being handled before. I'm almost unsurprised they're trying to just water down the game series even more than it already is with "Spartan Points'. The fact that the Halo Tv series has been greenlit for another season just proves this whole franchise may as well be dead. It reminds me quite a bit of the whole Star Wars Fandom in that way. I think the most insulting part of all of it, is that Pablo Schreiber's character is who the Master Chief really is in terms of canon. Just, Christ almighty man.

To quote a really shit meme

I want to get off of Mr Bones Wild ride, 343.

Judge Spear

Bro, Skyrim was lame.
Every last little cool thing left from Oblivion was removed. Nothing to commit to. No specialization indicative of a role playing game. You go in, steam roll everything, become everything unanswered, and don't have to make any kind of real decisions towards a build. Granted it's not like there's any reason to. Half the game is clearing out Draugr from copy pasted dungeons anyway because open worlds are SO interesting. 9-9

Also why does Bethesda have a fetish for ugly as fuck, nasty ass looking characters? Why is everyone in every TES (and FO) just maniacally hideous? Can they get an appealing art style? What is the issue? I don't even bother with custom characters in their games because there's quite literally no way possible to make something visibly pleasant regardless of race or gender. I'd just pick the default male Nord because I couldn't begin to care.

TES 6 and StarField are probably about to have the same crusty, musty, dusty ass looking people.

It's such a pain in the ass trying to mod that game. I just gave up.
Funny how things change as I recently replayed Skyrim and found a complete 180 in my opinion on it. I was so incredibly wrong.
Except the aesthetic. Games still ugly but I dont mind using mods for that.

BadRoy

Snake awakens
Unless you include the Souls games I don't think I've ever loved a sandbox game.
Give me a 6-7 hour thoughtfully made game experience any day.

+ We need more multiplayer games centered around socializing and cooperation instead of PVP, I'm bored of the hostile, competitive environment so many games foster

+ A game with stylistic graphics kicks realism's ass EVERY time

+ It's time to stop making medieval fantasy games

+ There aren't enough "roleplay" games that are actually built with roleplaying in mind

+ We need a game platform like Roblox for adults - I like the concept, just not the execution and "community"

+ Probably not an unpopular opinion among people who know what I'm talking about, but I just gotta say, Toontown deserved better :(

Judge Spear

+ There aren't enough "roleplay" games that are actually built with roleplaying in mind
Bro, I HEARD that. RPG's are so hell bent on just letting you be everything with no consequence or specialization.
But these days if people are forced to make a real choice in a game and have a game tell them "no", they cry about it.

KimberVaile

Bro, I HEARD that. RPG's are so hell bent on just letting you be everything with no consequence or specialization.
But these days if people are forced to make a real choice in a game and have a game tell them "no", they cry about it.
It's hilarious how Skyrim let's you join every single faction it has in game with no consequence, yet on the same hand, they decide to have 'essential' NPCs and invincible children. I'd laugh but almost every open world 'rpg' is like Skyrim. There are no longer classes or restrictions on what you can do. Sounds great in theory, but then you find out how terribly shallow it makes everything.

Last edited:

Judge Spear

It's hilarious how Skyrim let's you join every single faction it has in game with no consequence, yet on the same hand, they decide to have 'essential' NPCs and invincible children. I'd laugh but almost every open world 'rpg' is like Skyrim. There are no longer classes or restrictions on what you can do. Sounds great in theory, but then you find out how terrible shallow it makes everything.
As much as I like Skrum, it's shit at being an RPG, yeah. They complete stripped that and it was even a gradual change. It was immediately from Oblivion to Skyrim. Then you have JRPG's that just railroad into what the game wants you to use. Usually because nothing is ever fucking balanced to be worth shit except magic.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Elden Ring has absolutely terrible lore and story. It's enough to not just ruin the game for me, but constantly having to be told I HAVE to love this game and I HAVE to get over every detail, big and little (just going to say: almost EVERYTHING about Elden Ring's story and lore pisses me off!) doesn't help. The hero's a borderline human-sue, most of the villains are furries, the game has an EXTREMELY shallow view on life, etc. The only thing I DON'T hate is the turtle pope.

Also, I will never play the game. I've done enough research to know there's no way I could POSSIBLY enjoy the game.

Last edited: