• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Judge Spear

From what I understand, most Dark Souls fans would agree that Dark Souls games have comicly nonsensical world building and stories that makes zero sense. And its increasingly apparent that its by design. Which is fucking hilarious.

BadRoy

Snake awakens
From what I understand, most Dark Souls fans would agree that Dark Souls games have comicly nonsensical world building and stories that makes zero sense. And its increasingly apparent that its by design. Which is fucking hilarious.
The world-building, and really the whole From catalogue has been blown out of proportion in the FNAF style where it's so big and over-hyped that people getting into it now are like "That's it? Lame."

I never took the lore in Dank Shoals as some grand overarching story. More like several cool vignettes strung together by the actual baseline story of each game (which usually amounts to 'You should try to fight fate, or not lol'). Man I don't care, I just want to soak up that atmosphere and swing my meaty sword around.

Judge Spear

Platinum fell off for me honestly.

Was reminded how aggravating and tedious Astral Chain was and I really miss the hayday of Platinum when they made straightforward but deep games like Vanquish, MGR, and Bayonetta. Really consistent bangers.
All they have to their name these days is a mid STG with Sol Cresta, the honor of having jointly made the shittiest StarFox, garbage ass Babylon's Fall, and a clunky detective game that nothing will ever play like ever again.

Bayonetta 3 could not release sooner.

I like the "child" protagonist of JRPGs, it is a very, very, VERY welcomed change to typical western media of "tough grizzle macho old guys".

I find Skyrim's open ended nature left me feeling like it's just fantasy Sims rather than an "rpg", and that's at best, at worst it is just a very complex fanfiction generator.

Dolox

we live in a society
crash wrath of cortex is a good game
Wrathofcortex_boxart.jpg

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer

RachelTheFictionkin

Fictionkin & Soulbonder
I wish Angels of Death/Satsuriku no Tenshi had more horror elements to it, I wish there was more gratuitous gore and bloodshed. I wish Zack wasn't crippled through a majority of it. But that is what fanfics and dreams are for. But I don't know anyone who portrays Zack as a heinous sadistic criminal besides me.

Judge Spear

It was nice that Nintendo got more eyes on the mini market and showed other publishers that's a viable idea. But the Nintendo minis themselves were trash offerings.

Judge Spear

Ratchet and Clank is S tier gaming with charm, great VA, and fun characters. But these games are NOT funny, I'm sorry. There's an ok gag here and there, but it's like once per game. The "funniest" is probably just Nefarious getting so mad he malfunctions, freezes, and starts playing the audio of some soap opera from his voice speaker.

I've played some funny ass games, but that series is not one of them. I wouldn't call it cringe inducing, but it's just dull.
Also: Rift Apart > UYA > '16 > Deadlocked > the rest (I don't know how I'd order them tbh those four just stand out to me the most)

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I see complaints for it a lot, and I think it is way overblown.

So anyway, I decided to download Crash Bandicoot 4 with my PS Plus subscription, and I've been having a good time. I don't even mind getting 100% in the levels because so far they have been a pretty nice challenge and encourage me to keep my eyes out. And ultimately, whenever I beat a level, I do honestly feel accomplished like I was able to figure out every puzzle in that stage and whatnot in order to clear every stage with all the gems. The one aspect I do admit deserves a little bit of criticism are Platinum relics. In order to get 106%, you need to get at least platinum on all levels, and it does require a pretty tedious mechanic that you have to pull off over and over. I do admit that it is flawed...

... but my God is it aggravating seeing people act like the entire freaking game is ruined because of this. Like, people realize that this aspect is optional, right? You don't necessarily need to get 106% if you don't want to. You can just settle for 100% and watch the secret ending online if you believe that getting Platinum is too hard. But no, "WAAAAH! PLAT RELISH TOO HARD! GAME RUINED!" Well I personally still enjoy the game even if the Platinum relics are too hard for me personally to get. It's not going to ruin the game for me because I can't obtain them. I still like the rest of the game, I still like the level designs, I still like the challenge, I still like being able to play as Dingodile, etc. That one aspect doesn't even come close to bothering me. I'm just going to decide that getting 106% is not for me and I'm fine with that. I'm fine with just getting 100%. I wish people could just enjoy the game and not complain about this one aspect that, once again, is optional.

RachelTheFictionkin

Fictionkin & Soulbonder
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I see complaints for it a lot, and I think it is way overblown.

So anyway, I decided to download Crash Bandicoot 4 with my PS Plus subscription, and I've been having a good time. I don't even mind getting 100% in the levels because so far they have been a pretty nice challenge and encourage me to keep my eyes out. And ultimately, whenever I beat a level, I do honestly feel accomplished like I was able to figure out every puzzle in that stage and whatnot in order to clear every stage with all the gems. The one aspect I do admit deserves a little bit of criticism are Platinum relics. In order to get 106%, you need to get at least platinum on all levels, and it does require a pretty tedious mechanic that you have to pull off over and over. I do admit that it is flawed...

... but my God is it aggravating seeing people act like the entire freaking game is ruined because of this. Like, people realize that this aspect is optional, right? You don't necessarily need to get 106% if you don't want to. You can just settle for 100% and watch the secret ending online if you believe that getting Platinum is too hard. But no, "WAAAAH! PLAT RELISH TOO HARD! GAME RUINED!" Well I personally still enjoy the game even if the Platinum relics are too hard for me personally to get. It's not going to ruin the game for me because I can't obtain them. I still like the rest of the game, I still like the level designs, I still like the challenge, I still like being able to play as Dingodile, etc. That one aspect doesn't even come close to bothering me. I'm just going to decide that getting 106% is not for me and I'm fine with that. I'm fine with just getting 100%. I wish people could just enjoy the game and not complain about this one aspect that, once again, is optional.

Purple relics is where it's at.

Baalf

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
After beating Tales of Vesperia, I can see why Judge Spear hates it. It's contains
-Mostly unlikable characters (Karol and the dog get a pass)
-Relies on world building which is bad because it just dumps on you.
-Patty is fucking awful.
-Combat is mostly a brain dead button masher.
-Arc 1 and 2 have bad pacing.
-The heroes un-relatable.

Judge Spear

After beating Tales of Vesperia, I can see why Judge Spear hates it. It's contains
-Mostly unlikable characters (Karol and the dog get a pass)
-Relies on world building which is bad because it just dumps on you.
-Patty is fucking awful.
-Combat is mostly a brain dead button masher.
-Arc 1 and 2 have bad pacing.
-The heroes un-relatable.
Even if I liked the series, I wouldn't get why that one was seen as the definitive entry.
It exacerbates every major issue I could ever have with JRPG's.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Even if I liked the series, I wouldn't get why that one was seen as the definitive entry.
It exacerbates every major issue I could ever have with JRPG's.
Because Tales of fans were like Persona 5 fans, They don't play their games.

Judge Spear

I stopped playing the game because I'm very deathly serious about my boycott of it's publisher. But before I dropped everything from them, I fucking loved what I played of this game in particular. I had no real concerns with it and thought it was an excellent long awaited sequel.
A lot of people I remember cried that it was difficult which is always funny to me.

Baalf

I stopped playing the game because I'm very deathly serious about my boycott of it's publisher. But before I dropped everything from them, I fucking loved what I played of this game in particular. I had no real concerns with it and thought it was an excellent long awaited sequel.
A lot of people I remember cried that it was difficult which is always funny to me.
Don't get me wrong, I do think that the difficulty and padding deserves criticism, but it isn't a game breaker for me, and some of the difficulty does honestly feel fulfilling.

Silverthunder

Dr. Inkwell
Late to the party again, and this may have already been said, but does anyone else DESPISE the theory bating trend FNAF started in indie games?

It was absolutely absurd in hello neighbor, bendy, and now Poppy, but those aren't the only ones that have done it. Any intentionally and unnecessarily esoteric and ambiguous elements left open in the story or plot of a game to promote people talking about and discussing it in other mediums. In reality, the creators have absolutely no idea how it all ties together themselves, they just wait for youtubers and twitch streamers to come up with the best ideas and refuse to ever actually address or conclude it themselves.

Mystery and intrigue is one thing, but too often these creators will come up with random things and completely forget about them later down the road in favor of something else that sounds cooler... FNAF... that's just lazy story telling for the sake of advertising. Granted, I don't think FNAF did this intentionally in the beginning, I doubt it was ever meant to be a story driven game, let alone some deep multi medium universe...

Judge Spear

Late to the party again, and this may have already been said, but does anyone else DESPISE the theory bating trend FNAF started in indie games?

It was absolutely absurd in hello neighbor, bendy, and now Poppy, but those aren't the only ones that have done it. Any intentionally and unnecessarily esoteric and ambiguous elements left open in the story or plot of a game to promote people talking about and discussing it in other mediums. In reality, the creators have absolutely no idea how it all ties together themselves, they just wait for youtubers and twitch streamers to come up with the best ideas and refuse to ever actually address or conclude it themselves.

Mystery and intrigue is one thing, but too often these creators will come up with random things and completely forget about them later down the road in favor of something else that sounds cooler... FNAF... that's just lazy story telling for the sake of advertising. Granted, I don't think FNAF did this intentionally in the beginning, I doubt it was ever meant to be a story driven game, let alone some deep multi medium universe...
Trust that this was not at all FNAF's fault. People making stupid as fuck theories that only highlight how bad video game writing is has been around since Zelda. Then MatPat came around with his terrible EarthBound and UnderTale theories and that exploded it further. But this desperation to find something deeper in things you have to be high to think is astute coherent literature has been a trend for decades.