• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Silverthunder

Dr. Inkwell
Trust that this was not at all FNAF's fault. People making stupid as fuck theories that only highlight how bad video game writing is has been around since Zelda. Then MatPat came around with his terrible EarthBound and UnderTale theories and that exploded it further. But this desperation to find something deeper in things you have to be high to think is astute coherent literature has been a trend for decades.

Oh for sure, it just feels like some devs run with and embrace that kind of stuff now. Whereas before, like with undertale for example, it wasn't designed specifically to be vague at any point I don't think. Like you said though, people like to assign grand, complex, and deep meaning to just about every little rock and pebble. And I still think the first few FNAF games weren't meant to be anything more than a fun experience with a few things sprinkled here and there.

But... some devs embrace that hunger for deeper meaning, highlighting everything that's slightly out of place and saying 'see that? see that? it's important too!' and again, never actually addressing it or anything beyond showing something equally vague following it later on.

I guess I'm just salty about the laziness of it and the obvious cash grab aspect. You know hello neighbor had a TV show pilot, books, and plushies? Gotta read the book if you wanna understand xy and z! Guess they thought that was more important than actually polishing their game...

Part of me thought Death Stranding was going to do the same thing when I first opened that one up... lol

Judge Spear

Oh for sure, it just feels like some devs run with and embrace that kind of stuff now. Whereas before, like with undertale for example, it wasn't designed specifically to be vague at any point I don't think. Like you said though, people like to assign grand, complex, and deep meaning to just about every little rock and pebble. And I still think the first few FNAF games weren't meant to be anything more than a fun experience with a few things sprinkled here and there.

But... some devs embrace that hunger for deeper meaning, highlighting everything that's slightly out of place and saying 'see that? see that? it's important too!' and again, never actually addressing it or anything beyond showing something equally vague following it later on.

I guess I'm just salty about the laziness of it and the obvious cash grab aspect. You know hello neighbor had a TV show pilot, books, and plushies? Gotta read the book if you wanna understand xy and z! Guess they thought that was more important than actually polishing their game...

Part of me thought Death Stranding was going to do the same thing when I first opened that one up... lol
Devs run with it because Zelda fans twisted Nintendo's arm to make the stupid, hardly discernable Zelda timeline canon. And you know Nintendo is Apple. They do something and it's a good idea to everyone else.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Every popular game gets something copied and done worse (Ubisoft even copies their own formula and does it worse although that one is not an unpopular opinion)

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I stopped playing the game because I'm very deathly serious about my boycott of it's publisher. But before I dropped everything from them, I fucking loved what I played of this game in particular. I had no real concerns with it and thought it was an excellent long awaited sequel.
A lot of people I remember cried that it was difficult which is always funny to me.
Also, just going to say it, I kind of don't have the same animosity towards Activision. At least some of their sub companies put genuine effort into their games they make, and I hope even with them being bought by microsoft, they will continue to have quality games, especially if it means we get good Spyro and Crash games, because I'd love to see characters like these stick around and not die out.

Judge Spear

Also, just going to say it, I kind of don't have the same animosity towards Activision. At least some of their sub companies put genuine effort into their games they make, and I hope even with them being bought by microsoft, they will continue to have quality games, especially if it means we get good Spyro and Crash games, because I'd love to see characters like these stick around and not die out.
I can't get behind the abuse they put their workers through and play their games with mental clarity. It goes beyond crunch into heinous predation. When a woman takes her own life because she is sexually assaulted repeatedly and executive suits down to her colleagues took an impish glee in it, I have to stop supporting it. Knowing that was not even close to the extent of their insidious culture additionally disgusts me.
I might complain about them but I can deal with a company fucking me over or putting out bad content. Nintendo is anti-consumer as fuck and I hate their games. I'll curse their name, but I can live with it because there isn't an apparent rampant culture of abuse and sexual deviancy I'm aware of, you feel me? Them and many others are shit companies. I just draw the line at tremendous exploitation of the people who churn out your products.

And I know it does nothing to AV and maybe I'm a hypocrite because I'm sure I patron other places where awful things are done to the people who form the backbone of the companies. There are certain evils I come to expect but there are things I have to realize in my life I cannot reasonably do without or know everything about. Like food plants or insurance firms. They're crooked but what can I do in those deadlocks? If I can cut as many as possible, that's enough for me.
I don't need video games. I especially don't need AV. I can kick them to the curb cleanly and be just a little happier.

But, I'm not huffing my progressive fumes so much as to tell anyone else to join me in this. If you want to play their games, that's perfectly fine. This is purely a personal conviction for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Baalf

I can't get behind the abuse they put their workers through and play their games with mental clarity. It goes beyond crunch into heinous predation. When a woman takes her own life because she is sexually assaulted repeatedly and executive suits down to her colleagues took an impish glee in it, I have to stop supporting it. Knowing that was not even close to the extent of their insidious culture additionally disgusts me.
I might complain about them but I can deal with a company fucking me over or putting out bad content. Nintendo is anti-consumer as fuck and I hate their games. I'll curse their name, but I can live with it because there isn't an apparent rampant culture of abuse and sexual deviancy I'm aware of, you feel me? Them and many others are shit companies. I just draw the line at tremendous exploitation of the people who churn out your products.

And I know it does nothing to AV and maybe I'm a hypocrite because I'm sure I patron other places where awful things are done to the people who form the backbone of the companies. There are certain evils I come to expect but there are things I have to realize in my life I cannot reasonably do without or know everything about. Like food plants or insurance firms. They're crooked but what can I do in those deadlocks? If I can cut as many as possible, that's enough for me.
I don't need video games. I especially don't need Activision. I can kick them to the curb cleanly and be just a little happier.

But, I'm not huffing my progressive fumes so much as to tell anyone else to join me in this. If you want to play their games, that's perfectly fine. This is purely a personal conviction for peace of mind.

What Activision does to its workers is bad, but remember: they are just publishers. They don't make the games themselves. In a perfect world, it would be easy to support the game developers and not the publishers. Unfortunately, if you want to punish a publisher by not buying their games, then you're also going to punish the game makers.

Judge Spear

What Activision does to its workers is bad, but remember: they are just publishers. They don't make the games themselves. In a perfect world, it would be easy to support the game developers and not the publishers. Unfortunately, if you want to punish a publisher by not buying their games, then you're also going to punish the game makers.
But they get the bulk of the money and data they sell to the highest bidder. I'd much rather the devs get no money from me than their abusive execs getting money that they're barely seeing and using it to further subjugate them.
Speak with your wallet. That's what I'm doing.

Very, very off topic buuuut...

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced would had been so much better if Mache was just a defeatist, a person who doesn't believe things is going to change and doesn't want to do anything, and in fact in a pretty good position back "home" while everyone else was in various degrees of crap.

Also the fact everyone keeps bringing up the bullies suffering tend to ignore the fact in the opening they willingly packed snowballs with stones during a playground fight, and laugh when they drew blood. They are not exactly "good" people that many gamers try to make them out to be.

Baalf

But they get the bulk of the money and data they sell to the highest bidder. I'd much rather the devs get no money from me than their abusive execs getting money that they're barely seeing and using it to further subjugate them.
Speak with your wallet. That's what I'm doing.
Just saying, not giving Activision money unfortunately means not giving the hard working game programmers money, either. And, honestly, Crash and Spyro are two of my favorite franchises. I WISH Toys For Bob, Vicarious Visions and Beenox owned those and didn't have to work for Activision, but unfortunately... :(

BadRoy

Snake awakens
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced would had been so much better if Mache was just a defeatist, a person who doesn't believe things is going to change and doesn't want to do anything, and in fact in a pretty good position back "home" while everyone else was in various degrees of crap.

Also the fact everyone keeps bringing up the bullies suffering tend to ignore the fact in the opening they willingly packed snowballs with stones during a playground fight, and laugh when they drew blood. They are not exactly "good" people that many gamers try to make them out to be.
Immature schoolyard bullying means you deserve to be turned into a monster and killed? OK.

The bullies are the least of the issues with indulging in the fantasy of Ivalice. Ivalice was forced upon the real world and was conjured to please the whims of a handful of sad kids, especially Mewt. No one else had a say in their lives being overwritten/ erased. So Marche, being 100% based, realized that the only righteous course of action would be for each of them to stand up to each of their struggles and give up the selfish delusion. It must have been so hard for him, but he stood by his morals.

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
Just saying, not giving Activision money unfortunately means not giving the hard working game programmers money, either. And, honestly, Crash and Spyro are two of my favorite franchises. I WISH Toys For Bob, Vicarious Visions and Beenox owned those and didn't have to work for Activision, but unfortunately... :(
coders can find jobs elsewhere if these companies get no money

Baalf

Better option of the two.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Not only do I want those franchises to continue because they're some of the only creative franchises left in Triple A gaming, but again, it's not the programmer's fault. Yes, they can find new Publishers or work independently, but then what kind of games are they going to be able to make if they do go independent? Obviously they can't use those franchises, so would they try to make a spiritual successor or new charming IP that ends up failing, or are they just going to make what everyone else is making? Usually one of those two things happens: They make a charming spiritual successor/new IP that fails or make a successful game with cliche heroes, aggravating storytelling and shallow lore. Very rarely do I see anything that appeals to me actually become successful: they either fail or get overshadowed by other games. Even if game programers work for a scummy company, I'm just glad SOMEONE is able to keep those kind of games alive.

Immature schoolyard bullying means you deserve to be turned into a monster and killed? OK.

The bullies are the least of the issues with indulging in the fantasy of Ivalice. Ivalice was forced upon the real world and was conjured to please the whims of a handful of sad kids, especially Mewt. No one else had a say in their lives being overwritten/ erased. So Marche, being 100% based, realized that the only righteous course of action would be for each of them to stand up to each of their struggles and give up the selfish delusion. It must have been so hard for him, but he stood by his morals.
The amount of mental torture that bullies are able to cause is something I see understated way too often. I honestly don't mind seeing them as the villains, especially considering that it's relatable to have a character that rises up against their bullies without succumbing to the "just ignore them and they'll magically go away and get pumished" philosophy.

Ah. I guess throwing stones and rocks is a-okay, because it was schoolyard shenanigans of the 1950's and that is good enough for modern America.

I hate anti-escapism aesop because people take it too far the other way, dreams are worthless and we must take a defeatist idea because nothing can be fixed and we should just except reality as it.

Also Marche was a physically fit kid with both parents and no real true problems in his life, his brother was so sick he couldn't go outside or anywhere without his wheelchair, Ritz is an outcast of constant ridicule and often targeted by the school bullies, Mewt's mom's dead and his dad is a drunk and lastly Doned has health problems that will never be fully fixed no matter how much "moral and willpower" one strains out.

Marche is basically those out of touch rich assholes telling people to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

In a true to real life ending no one's problems would be fixed, in fact it would be much worse and everyone would be plotting Marche's demise soon after. So that leads me to believe the true ending is Marche killed everyone, which no matter how you cut it he does commit mass genocide on a grand scale, and just created a new world where he is a "hero"

Of, and just telling me someone is "moral" doesn't make them right. My dad took me out of school at a very young age and became a doomsday prepper, abused my mom for years, and ran to the middle of nowhere and kept me trapped for decades and gaslit to the point I believed all of his bullshit because he truly believed in his warped morals.

But as I had seen in the past, this is a truly unpopular opinion among gamers. Which is funny because the game is escapism, which is saying all escapism is bad and evil, which everyone agrees with but won't give up said games.

Silverthunder

Dr. Inkwell
Might I offer a less philosophical or existential video game hot take? Probably a little off topic but...

Nuclear power plant explosions (this goes for movies too). You see it mostly in strategy games of course, like command and conquer and sim city type games, but nuclear plant meltdowns don't cause gigantic nuclear explosions that wipe out entire cities. It's a steam explosion. Granted, they can be as gnarly as any power plant explosion, and you add on the whole radiation thing, but that's an entirely different topic from wiping out my entire city and creating a giant crater I can't build my radioactive slums on!

BadRoy

Snake awakens
Ah. I guess throwing stones and rocks is a-okay, because it was schoolyard shenanigans of the 1950's and that is good enough for modern America.

I hate anti-escapism aesop because people take it too far the other way, dreams are worthless and we must take a defeatist idea because nothing can be fixed and we should just except reality as it.

Also Marche was a physically fit kid with both parents and no real true problems in his life, his brother was so sick he couldn't go outside or anywhere without his wheelchair, Ritz is an outcast of constant ridicule and often targeted by the school bullies, Mewt's mom's dead and his dad is a drunk and lastly Doned has health problems that will never be fully fixed no matter how much "moral and willpower" one strains out.

Marche is basically those out of touch rich assholes telling people to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. ...
You seem to be struggling with nuance.
Of course bullying isn't OK and they should be punished... but not to the degree of being turned into monsters and attacked, that's ridiculous.
The game doesn't say escapism of any kind is reprehensible... it says overwriting reality with a selfish fantasy world is reprehensible. And it doesn't even make that black and white as Marche is repeatedly tempted to stay.

The moral of the story, and it's a good one, is that you'll be a better, stronger person by coming to terms with your problems instead of constantly avoiding them via escapism. And that's borne out in the ending where everyone gets past their baggage and faces life head-on.

Basically it's Evangelion, but with moogles :3

Nuclear power plant explosions (this goes for movies too). You see it mostly in strategy games of course, like command and conquer and sim city type games, but nuclear plant meltdowns don't cause gigantic nuclear explosions that wipe out entire cities. It's a steam explosion. Granted, they can be as gnarly as any power plant explosion, and you add on the whole radiation thing, but that's an entirely different topic from wiping out my entire city and creating a giant crater I can't build my radioactive slums on!
One of those things where over time society came to expect big mushroom clouds. 'Reality is unrealistic'

Baalf

Marche is basically those out of touch rich assholes telling people to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

In a true to real life ending no one's problems would be fixed, in fact it would be much worse and everyone would be plotting Marche's demise soon after. So that leads me to believe the true ending is Marche killed everyone, which no matter how you cut it he does commit mass genocide on a grand scale, and just created a new world where he is a "hero"

Of, and just telling me someone is "moral" doesn't make them right. My dad took me out of school at a very young age and became a doomsday prepper, abused my mom for years, and ran to the middle of nowhere and kept me trapped for decades and gaslit to the point I believed all of his bullshit because he truly believed in his warped morals.

But as I had seen in the past, this is a truly unpopular opinion among gamers. Which is funny because the game is escapism, which is saying all escapism is bad and evil, which everyone agrees with but won't give up said games.

Yeah. Rancid morals in games suck. By now, a lot of people know how much I hate misanthropic villains and "Save humanity plots," but a lot of times, it's on a moral level. I can sorta understand "save humanity" plots in a setting where they're a dying species, but even in those, I typically see tons of species coming together just to wipe out ONE species, one that generally doesn't care about any species other than themselves (to be fair, in the situation I mentioned, their situation is dire and it's understandable that humanity would come first, but still). It REALLY bothers me, however, in stories where humans are populous and nature/monsters are struggling.

Like, here's my problem: Saving the World and Saving Humanity are almost always counterproductive to each other. Even in the fantasy usniverses, humans typically mess with nature, destroy forests, wipe out species, etc, and more often than not, by "Saving humanity," the story basically says that nature's struggles are not important in comparison to the convenience of evil people. Oh, but the force trying to wipe out humanity is ALWAYS an extremist. They're always portrayed to want to wipe ALL of humanity out, or worse, wipe EVERYTHING out just to wipe out humanity, so you can't POSSIBLY relate with the VILLAINS, right? The problem is that the heroes are usually extremists themselves, but in the other direction. They want to save ALL of humanity, including the people that SHOULD be punished. I don't care if the heroes are the "lesser of two evils," the world is still going to suffer regardless of who wins because it's always one extreme VS the other. There's never standards put into play, so all that happens is that I am against BOTH sides. I hated this plot in Kid Icarus Uprising. I hated it in Tales of Vesperia. I hated it in Pokemon X/Y. I just flat out hate these plotlines, in general. And regardless of how I feel about each other's goals, I'm always at LEAST going to RELATE to the villain more because I can relate to their pain and struggles more.

Last edited:

Judge Spear

God I really could not get into the 3DS.
They're closing this service down next year so I'm looking to see if there's anything I'd actually play.
I just do not give a shit about this consoles library beyond like 3 originals and some retro ports.

It's just remakes, Pokemon, Mario's lamest entries, and the same JRPG 40 times in a row. I think this was the first Nintendo handheld I just couldn't appreciate because I was a fiend for some DS and GBA games.

BadRoy

Snake awakens
I think speedrunning is really dumb. I don't see any fun at all in not just beating a game quickly, but hunting down every ridiculous exploit possible to beat games as fast as possible.
Like if it was just beating the game without any glitches or whatever I can almost see how that would be fun, but when people have to jump in a corner for five minutes so they can skip 1/5 of the game I just don't care at all.

Last edited:

Delv

Madliest Kat
I don't like any of the Zelda games, I think they're boring
(Pls don't crucify me)

Judge Spear

I think speedrunning is really dumb. I don't see any fun at all in not just beating a game quickly, but hunting down every ridiculous exploit possible to beat games as fast as possible.
Like if it was just beating the game without any glitches or whatever I can almost see how that would be fun, but when people have to jump in a corner for five minutes so they can skip 1/5 of the game I just don't care at all.
I like speedrunning a lot, but only specific types of games where speed is the whole point and doesn't require serious level skipping glitches.
Being good at games is fun and it gets you closer to understanding a lot of things developers put in place. That's just fascinating. "Playing close to code" as people call it.
It's also just good competition in the right community...

...now watch this drive.

Last edited:

Baalf

Not sure how unpopular of an opinion this is, but...

I just beat N. Tropy(s) in Crash 4, and I've heard that the fight's kinda disappointing, and yeah, I can see why. It's not that bad, but it does feel like there should have been one more phase. But a lot of people I know think that N. Tropy's original fight in Crash 3 was the best. In my opinion, N. Tropy has NEVER had a decent boss fight.

I mean, his fight in Warped is okay-ish. He sends energy orbs with unpredictable patterns and electric fields, but one thing REALLY takes me out of the fight: Dealing damage.

Do you deal damage by sending an attack back at him? No.

Do you deal damage by reaching a certain object that triggers damage? No.

Do you have to go through a gauntlet of attacks while trying to reach him? No.

...He, literally, LETS YOU attack him! He summons platforms for you to jump across and just kneels there to LET YOU attack him! What kind of powerful master of time are you, N. Tropy!?

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
God I really could not get into the 3DS.
They're closing this service down next year so I'm looking to see if there's anything I'd actually play.
I just do not give a shit about this consoles library beyond like 3 originals and some retro ports.

It's just remakes, Pokemon, Mario's lamest entries, and the same JRPG 40 times in a row. I think this was the first Nintendo handheld I just couldn't appreciate because I was a fiend for some DS and GBA games.
You forgot about Fire Emblem.