• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Unusual body suit crafting idea - would this even work??

TalonR

I currently own a partial fursuit (that I made myself), and have been thinking hard about making my first bodysuit. But I've had some (early) unusual ideas on exactly * how * to make it.

Usually when I look up how to make a body suit, it's basically crafting a homemade onezee with some fur over it. Complicated measurements and everything. And I get why people make it that way: it's just a suit with one zipper, making you look like a big plushy animal. It's traditional to the fandom, and it works.

I have a much simpler concept in mind, but I'm a bit nervous to just build it and see if it works, because I've never heard of anyone do it this way. It could either be an instant success, or a complete waste of money.

My idea, essentially, is to take some stretchy athletic clothes that fit well enough, and sew some fur over that, essentially making a "2-piece fursuit" that you slip on like normal clothes. And as a large-fur lover and general weirdo, I would love to give it an inflatable belly, and it doesn't seem that hard to just sandwich some kind of inflatable bit between 2 of the same shirts sewn together. Of course, I'd still have to shape the fur to the inflation's capacity, but my fursona usually wears a hoodie or light jacket anyways, so it wouldn't be a problem to have the front fur sagging a little in result of it's fullest shape.

My first thought as to why I've never heard of it done like this, would be because of the weight of the fur. Wouldn't really be worth it to waste a good pair of athletic pants, only for it to start drooping when you walk due to the added fur. Of course, I might be able to hide an added belt loop in plain sight, by having some extra fur droop down from the shirt. Or maybe have some buckles underneath the shirt to connect to the pants. And it's not like an air-filled pouch would do much to weigh down the shirt. For as unnecessarily complicated as it all sounds, I still think it sounds easier than measuring my entire body to craft the suit as a whole. (at least with the ways I work and learn as a person)

Also, I work a warehouse job with a lot of movement, and my usual outfit involves an athletic shirt under a flannel - so wearing a shirt (2 shirts with the added belly feature, technically) of that texture with added fur shouldn't be unbearably hot, as far as I know. Heck, usually inflatable suits require some kind of rubber underneath, which is WAY more awful and sweaty than a normal suit, based on what I've heard. So hypothetically, this idea makes it both easier to put on and less hot to wear.

For anybody who's crafted a suit, or have thought about crafting a suit: does this whole concept sound reasonable or completely stupid? It's still a VERY early idea, so there could be problems that I'm not even seeing. But I just felt like throwing this out there to see what anyone thinks of it. Have fun? Do your worst? I don't know how to end a forum post like this XD. Yeah. Uh.... /end post.

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
I'm not well-versed in fursuit-making—I only just started making my first head—but experimentation is always a win in my eyes. If it doesn't work out, you'll definitely lose some cash, but you'll learn what didn't work and why. (You could even try again, using what you've learned as leverage.) If it does work out, you'll make something super cool, and be able to share your findings to help other suit makers! :D
In my opinion, your idea seems doable enough. I'd ask a more experienced suitmaker for advice, though.