• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Unusual Question...

Not entirely sure if this goes here, but it seems like the best spot. My nephew and I were talking the other day, and he asked me why I do reverse knees (or have my characters walking on the tips of their feet). I told him that that is just how I prefer to draw em. He told me that he prefers full foot walking.

It got me wondering, which is the greater preference?
Reverse Knees? Regular Knees? Some other kind of lower leg set up that is not widely known about?

i like regular knees as i am part human part wolf and part dragon. well as far as my fursona goes when i roleplay anyway. as for reverse knees are you sure you don't mean regular knees with raised ankles like a werewolf or something might have?

Check out my gallery for an example of the "reverse knee".
http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/rasieldraconis/
I call it that because it looks like the knee looks like it is further down on the leg but it is actually the ankle. I got a few pics somewhere in there that show it.

Wolfblade

"Digitigrade" and "Plantigrade" if I remember right.

Digitigrade meaning the feet like a dog's hind legs, like they're tiptoeing on their 'digits', and plantigrade being the humanoid feet 'planted' fully on the floor.

Hope I didn't mix those up *^_^*

Ziba the lioness

Overgrown housecat
I prefer digitigrade or as I prefer calling it, quadrupe shaped legs where you walk on your toes and yeah, leg is shaped like a dogs hindleg. I have all my characters and fursonas looking like that

kawayama

slower than molasses
i prefer plantigrade. it allows you to keep your balance.

especially when i see digitigrade anthro deer and other hooved critters, i'm like, "right, a slight gust of wind in their general direction and watch them fall."

emptyF

where my frogs at?
i walk digitigrade irl. really, no joke. i have humongous calves from it.

also, if your knees bent backwards, what would chairs look like?

I don't have a real preference. Digitigrade is more "natural," whereas plantigrade is more "anthro." They both can look cool--it all depends on what style you want for your creations.

Ziba the lioness

Overgrown housecat
silverwolfe said:
Ziba the lioness said:
emptyF said:
i walk digitigrade irl.

Welcome to the club :p I do too, except when Im wearing shoes, which I hate to wear

Wow, I'm not the only weird one here. :D

Nope =p I thought I was the only weird one here XD being a lifestyler furry.. Havnt seen other lifestylers on here, yet.. And its suposed to be a place for furries! XD

Moon-Baby

Transitional Lifeform
I think I like Digitigrade better.
I walk that way a lot too.
I can run better that way, it seems to have more of a spring effect.
Thats better for the types of stuff I do, they need to run fast and with ease, and theyre more animalistic.

robomilk

fruit bat at large
Ziba the lioness said:
silverwolfe said:
Ziba the lioness said:
emptyF said:
i walk digitigrade irl.

Welcome to the club :p I do too, except when Im wearing shoes, which I hate to wear

Wow, I'm not the only weird one here. :D

Nope =p I thought I was the only weird one here XD being a lifestyler furry.. Havnt seen other lifestylers on here, yet.. And its suposed to be a place for furries! XD

I wear slippers in real life. I don't draw shoes because they get my feet all hot (but mainly because I'm crap at it.)

Evol

I draw and prefer plantigrade. Unless it's dragons or deer. Woo hoo.

i only prefer plantigrade for my character. he's based on a video game character and digitigrade would just get in the way if his foot and leg armor.

Thaily

I draw plantigrade, digitigrade and ungulate.

Digitigrades don't have "reverse knees" though, their upper leg is just really short so the knee is high up, often not lower than the belly, then they have long lower legs and the distance between the ankle and toes is a lot longer than is the case with plantigrades.
But the digitigrade knee and plantigrade knee both bend the same way.

Sprocket

RE:  Unusual Question...

Wolfblade said:
"Digitigrade" and "Plantigrade" if I remember right.

Digitigrade meaning the feet like a dog's hind legs, like they're tiptoeing on their 'digits', and plantigrade being the humanoid feet 'planted' fully on the floor.

Hope I didn't mix those up *^_^*

Well, you learn something new every day.

What is this ungulate you speak of though?

Thaily

Ungulates are creatures that walk on their nails if you will (which is essentially what a hoof is or has grown from).
There's odd-numbered ungulates (horses, rhino, tapir) and even-numbered ungulates (pig, hippo, deer, antelope, sheep and goats).

A picture comparing plantigrade, digitigrade and ungulate: http://www.shsu.edu/~bio_mlt/Ung2.JPG

It also shows that all the knees bend the same way.

NeonGryphon

I think the direction of the knee would totally depend on the character. Reverse knee looks great on avian and reptile characters. For feet, digitigrade is my preference for all creatures, with a high ankle. I can't stand ugly humanoid feet. But paws = <3

spree

reverse knee is chicken legs lol.

Knee posture is totally based upon creature make up and development. Also imagination has to play a bit in creativity here.

I don't walk plantigrade or digitgrade. Plantigrade means to walk on the heel, digit on the ball. I've disciplined myself (took a good 2 1/2 years) to walk exactly in the middle of my foot so I don't make an obnoxious loud thump when I put my foot down.

digitgrade is a bit demented on something which walks upright. No insult here but, theres too much balance ratio in keeping the legs centered verses just standing upright. digitgrade don't stand upright, they are always bent over and running would suck although one would run faster, but one would become more fagitued faster because lack of proper breathing. Best to just run on all 4 limbs if digitgrade. best of all.. in martial arts combat.. Plantigrade feet would kick a digitgrades butt everytime hands down. No contest. I love the plant foot it is superior in everyway. Well, a digitgrade foot could give someone a better jumping height as well stance height.

people who walk digitgrade IRL :roll:

toggle

i think that it really depends on how you want to draw it. if you want to make it more animal like, study the knees, muscles, and bone pattern, maybe watch how the animal walks. if its more human you draw, then do it in your own style. theres alot of variables in this.

Ethan

Banned
Banned
Use any leg/foot position to make the drawing look more interesting to you and your audience.