• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Upon the touchy subject of furries and real fur.

fox fur or faux fur? (multiple choice)

• real fur doesnt really bother me

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • it is cruel and inhumane

Votes: 24 17.1%
  • wild hunted is fine

Votes: 56 40.0%
  • farmed fur is fine

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • I would never wear it myself but I dont mind other people who have it.

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • KILL ALL FURRIERS! ARRGHHH! SAVE TEH FLUFFY ANIMALS!

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • fake fur should only be bought instead of real.

Votes: 52 37.1%

• Total voters

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
They usually let you help with the more calm animals. As much as I wanted to work with the Tigers, they wouldn't let me. So they stuck me with the farm animals and some of the less lethal reptiles.

I can understand why they wouldn't let you tend to the tigers or the more dangerous animals. It is not as easy as it looks to tend to a dangerous animal.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
ugh, I just COULD NOT work as a veterinarian or a vet tec.
just the thought of putting thousands of dollars into an animal that will just die anyway seems like such a waste on resources. for the same price, you could potentially save a human life.
that and the amount of animal abuse. it's just everywhere here. there's sooo many animals here that a good 75% of all animals that go to the pound are euthanized because there's just too many.

Randy-Darkshade

just the thought of putting thousands of dollars into an animal that will just die anyway seems like such a waste on resources. for the same price, you could potentially save a human life.
that and the amount of animal abuse. it's just everywhere here. there's sooo many animals here that a good 75% of all animals that go to the pound are euthanized because there's just too many.

I agree, and yet naimal rights activists like kitt---whatever her name is in this thread seem to forget that alot of animal shelters have to euthanize soem animals because they can't cope.

Also a vet will urge an owner to euthanize an animal if a vet knows damn well nothing he/she will do will ever make it better, like that cat that was found hanging from a tree, or my moms dog that was struck by a train 6 years ago.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

It's a an either or situation.
People love their pets like family members and would do the same thing if their kid was sick and needed medical attention. At times, animals that are trained to work do need the doctor for check ups, shots and care when they get sick or broken limbs.
It's a waste just to "Put down" an animal that that has a broken leg that needed to be put in a cast, or a pet that has allergies (Yes, animals can get allergies), or has a gastral intestinal disorder. At times, some cannot be helped and the best thing to do is to put it down when the animal will live the rest of it's life in pain. My friend's parents have a dog that's blind and Nose and hearing deaf. The Poodle literally LOOKS like a zombie. That dog needs to die.

The same thing could be said about humans who waste thousands of dollars instead of actually pulling the plug on a Severely ill patient that has no chance of living a normal life. Saying goodbye is hard, but it's inhumane and selfish just to let one suffer just because you want your Great Aunt to live on pain killers and on a machine.

No one takes the Bob Barker Treatment at heart.

Last edited:

ChickO'Dee

the only real fur id ever own is the white fox tail i got from mideivel fair. I think real fur is terrible, but i bought one anyway, cause, well, its already dead and they're going to sell them anyways :/ not like me not buying one will effect the seller in any way because someone else is just gunna buy it :/ the idea of wearing a dead animal just doesn't suit my fancy, yknow?

Beastcub

i have a thing for antlers, i am just fasinated by them and i have a few sets from yard sales and such.
but chances are the deer were at least eaten.

i understand where the Op is comming from with messing with dead things and thus being a bit desensitized by the subject

i also collect bones when i find them, note that i only take well weathered clean bones when i find then, anything with flesh or an oder i do not even TOUCH.
i have a doe skull and most of the skeleton i found on a hike, i had a plastic bag with me to pick up cans with. i found a cat skull and part of the skeleton on another hike, i have a bird skull from the beach, and a another deer skull but it was pretty degraded when i found it as it was rather old.
and when we disected frogs in class i cleaned the bones and assembled them for extra credit (i got all fancy and made it in a jumping pose suspended with string and built a mount for it to look like its habitat, i got extra extra credit as every one else just sort of glued the parts flat on a piece of paper)

Randy-Darkshade

the only real fur id ever own is the white fox tail i got from mideivel fair. I think real fur is terrible, but i bought one anyway, cause, well, its already dead and they're going to sell them anyways :/ not like me not buying one will effect the seller in any way because someone else is just gunna buy it :/ the idea of wearing a dead animal just doesn't suit my fancy, yknow?

Spellchecker is your friend, it is medieval not mideivel.

You can't think real fur is THAT terrible otherwise you would never of bought a real fox tail. And if you bought it because "the animal is already dead" did you forget that most animals are dead when the fur is obtained?

ChickO'Dee

Spellchecker is your friend, it is medieval not mideivel.

You can't think real fur is THAT terrible otherwise you would never of bought a real fox tail. And if you bought it because "the animal is already dead" did you forget that most animals are dead when the fur is obtained?

oh hush hush. my spell check didnt support that word :p you knew what i was talking about so what does it matter. at lest im not tlking lke ths! Im a terrible speller so hush hush :p

yeah, the animal is already dead, nothing i can do about it :p im starting to care less and less honestly. its dead, theres nothing i can do about it, or ever be ABLE to do about it so why even TRY to interfere with others lives who like to wear it? to each their own

Randy-Darkshade

oh hush hush. my spell check didnt support that word :p you knew what i was talking about so what does it matter. at lest im not tlking lke ths! Im a terrible speller so hush hush :p

yeah, the animal is already dead, nothing i can do about it :p im starting to care less and less honestly. its dead, theres nothing i can do about it, or ever be ABLE to do about it so why even TRY to interfere with others lives who like to wear it? to each their own

Exactly, but some people, like a certain someone else in this thread thinks it is their "duty" to be violent and try to stop it. I feel disgusted when I hear on the news of animal rights activists who have torched (I should say "suspected of" to be fair) peoples cars who work in labs that test on animals, I mean people who work in such labs, to me, are just trying to do a days work like anyone else is, just trying to earn a living. With the testing of cosmetics like make up, that is just wrong, make up does not help humans survive, or animals survive for that matter, I mean many human meds can be used on animals, they just shrink the dosage to match the animals size. But make up is just for a humans selfish use.

ChickO'Dee

Exactly, but some people, like a certain someone else in this thread thinks it is their "duty" to be violent and try to stop it. I feel disgusted when I hear on the news of animal rights activists who have torched (I should say "suspected of" to be fair) peoples cars who work in labs that test on animals, I mean people who work in such labs, to me, are just trying to do a days work like anyone else is, just trying to earn a living. With the testing of cosmetics like make up, that is just wrong, make up does not help humans survive, or animals survive for that matter, I mean many human meds can be used on animals, they just shrink the dosage to match the animals size. But make up is just for a humans selfish use.
EXACTLY. thats how i feel. some things are disgusting, but at the same time some things have to be done. but other things aren't necessary. I try to avoid animal products for my own reasons, but if its already there, theres nothing i can do about it. either the product is going to be sold to someone else, or thrown away, me buying it or not buying it isnt going to make much of a difference. have leather boots and i have a fox tail,that doesn't mean i support killing animals. at least im respecting the product when i own it. I like to think that counts for something.

Kittiara

Kitt
I don't really ever hear from the actual "touchy" people on this subject. Like, I go to a con and everybody's wearing a real fox tail. I actually didn't bring mine to AC'08 because I thought furries would be against it. NOPE EVERYBODY'S GOT ONE.

Funny.

-Guy-

Rawrness
I mean, fur is great, as long as the animal is already dead. If it is alive and they want it's fur, I'm not for that. If it's dead, you shouldn't let the fur go to waste, but if it's alive, that isn't the best idea.

Randy-Darkshade

I don't really ever hear from the actual "touchy" people on this subject. Like, I go to a con and everybody's wearing a real fox tail. I actually didn't bring mine to AC'08 because I thought furries would be against it. NOPE EVERYBODY'S GOT ONE.

Funny.

A lot of people think furries would be against real fur and meat etc, but the truth is, most don't care.

Skidd

I liek paperclips. :B
i have a thing for antlers, i am just fasinated by them and i have a few sets from yard sales and such.
but chances are the deer were at least eaten.

i understand where the Op is comming from with messing with dead things and thus being a bit desensitized by the subject

i also collect bones when i find them, note that i only take well weathered clean bones when i find then, anything with flesh or an oder i do not even TOUCH.
i have a doe skull and most of the skeleton i found on a hike, i had a plastic bag with me to pick up cans with. i found a cat skull and part of the skeleton on another hike, i have a bird skull from the beach, and a another deer skull but it was pretty degraded when i found it as it was rather old.
and when we disected frogs in class i cleaned the bones and assembled them for extra credit (i got all fancy and made it in a jumping pose suspended with string and built a mount for it to look like its habitat, i got extra extra credit as every one else just sort of glued the parts flat on a piece of paper)

Antlers are naturally shed, anyways. Deer don't have to die for antlers. *shrug* Though you're not likely to find antlers sitting around because they're used as a source of calcium for deer and other animals. Nomnomnom.

I've articulated an ostrich skeleton myself, and was part of the bone-collecting process for it. Some of our bones DID have some dried up old flesh on it, and Let Me Tell You, they're a pain to pull off. Pliers are good for that, though.

*cough* I have a mystery pelvis that sits on my dresser that I took that day we were out bone-collecting, too. Possibly a lamb or fox or very large jackrabbit. I don't know. *shrug* :3

Completely against fur. It's sick that people would wear real tails of foxes places,that's barbaric. There is faux-fur,freaking wear it. I don't get why such a great amount of people here-on a furry forum- could care less about actual animals. People's excuses for finding it to be okay/wearing it is "it's so beautiful". That doesn't justify skinning a live animal or killing it just for their fur. Sure,it may look nice,but when you know what happened to the animal that once was the owner of that fur,it's no longer beautiful.

Last edited:

Farelle

well...i think it depends on the sight....

if you think about it, earlier, humans always eated animals and made clothes out of it, so its no wonder for me that some aren't really interested....but it depends on what animal it is, where you got it from and why you can have this fur now...

if its from an sheep, or an deer that got hunted because it was ill or should be eaten....then its ok, because its life did not end only because of the fur....it had more uses....to say it simple practically...

but if its only killed for its fur, maybe still alive when skinned....THEN i dont wanna wear it....its cruel and i've seen videos about it....

people really should be concern about WHERE they get their fur from....

else...i thought about using it, but to be honest, i cant stretch the real fur because of the leather aspect and so i couldnt get it in a good form for me ;)

so I'll stay with synthetik fur...also, actually there is not much difference anymore between faux fur and real fur....so why using real "lifes" for it?
its not really worth it...-.-

Randy-Darkshade

Completely against fur. It's sick that people would wear real tails of foxes places,that's barbaric. There is faux-fur,freaking wear it. I don't get why such a great amount of people here-on a furry forum- could care less about actual animals. People's excuses for finding it to be okay/wearing it is "it's so beautiful". That doesn't justify skinning a live animal or killing it just for their fur. Sure,it may look nice,but when you know what happened to the animal that once was the owner of that fur,it's no longer beautiful.

Do you eat meat?

LotsOfNothing

Banned
Banned

>implying furries need to place animals above humans.

Randy-Darkshade

>implying furries need to place animals above humans.

I know. I hate it when people do that. For some reason some furries seem to think we all should "worship the animals" believe it or not people furries are humans too, having an interest in art/cartoons and what ever other fictional stuff the fandom revolves around does not mean we should automaticaly LOVE! animals.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
I know. I hate it when people do that. For some reason some furries seem to think we all should "worship the animals" believe it or not people furries are humans too, having an interest in art/cartoons and what ever other fictional stuff the fandom revolves around does not mean we should automaticaly LOVE! animals.

ugh. reminds me of fucking vegan peta mongerers.

I am not saying we should put animals above people but I think we should certainly give a shit about them. I mean in another thread certain people didn't even care that a dog was thrown over a bridge-that's okay?

LotsOfNothing

Banned
Banned
I am not saying we should put animals above people but I think we should certainly give a shit about them. I mean in another thread certain people didn't even care that a dog was thrown over a bridge-that's okay?

I give a shit about them by wearing their deads' skin.

Randy-Darkshade

I didn't know there was a thread about that. o.o

Hell, I give a crap about pointless cruelty like that, I recently heard (in the uk again, not that far from me either) that some twat(s) decided to wrap someones cat in a washing line and hang it from a tree. The cat must of been struggling to free itself for a long time as it had a very bad, very deep wound in it's side where the line had cut into it.

Needless to say a vet had no option but to Euthanize it.

As for meat, I see meat as an everyday necessity, as a very large majority of humans eat meat. Fur, depending on how the fur is got in the first place, from a hunted kill that will be eaten? That's fine, skinned while it is alive? thats not okay.

Doug

Meh, I don't care. Certain animals are severely overpopulated anyway.

Real fur is much better in things like thick blankets, makes it much warmer. And no, I don't mind the fact that animals died to keep me warm, that's survival.