• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Upset by negative species stereotypes

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I have a pet ferret named Spinel. I've had her for years and she is one of my best friends. I've come to identify with her, and in some of my daydreams and fantasies I'm a ferret-like creature.

Then "The Suicide Squad" happened.

Is this really how people see weasels? Are they seen as disgusting barbarians?

What hurts even more is that the Ratcatcher 2 is such a loveable character. I have a history with rats but to cut a long story short I've never really been able to successfully bond with them as pets.

And there is something else: I had a serious man-crush on a rat keeper/rescuer. I shouldn't say her name but she is a talented artist and she's on FA. She hates me because I said some stupid things to her a while ago. I feel like she's a noble and virtuous hero and I'm just a cowardly weasel.

Pep talk please.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I did a quick search and learned that weasels may have a bad rep because of angry farmers. Of course, that's just nature doing its thang and people have to get mad. If anything they're brilliant! It's like a near-infinite supply of food that has hardly any opportunity to escape!

But this dude... he don't even look like a weasel. He looks like the Sonic reject model after he fell on some hard times. :oops:

Let's turn this negative stereotype into a positive. You should open a Weasel appreciation thread!
Just look at this little guy go! I wonder if he thinks it's a giant one!

LameFox

Just looks like a comic relief character to me. I guess in a movie like that you have to make it pretty weird to stand out.

Khafra

Heave away, haul away
I feel like you're looking into it a bit too much. It's a stupid character in an already stupid movie, so what?

That being said, weasels probably do have some unflattering stereotypes, but that's the case with everything, really. These are just avatars we use because of personal preferences. Best you can do is laugh it off and move on.

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
I admire how passionate and caring you are for animals, but I agree with the others here.

You are looking a bit too much into this. The internet alone has vastly improved the perception of animals far more than any silly DC movie could ruin.

Look at snakes, sharks, wolves, raccoons. We love seeing cute videos and making memes of them. We've grown attached and fond of animals that in the past many people despised.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
A lot of animal species have negative stereotypes - that kind of figures in to the whole furry fandom. Animals are often attributed "human" characteristics, and then people may feel a connection with certain species based on that animal's reputation. I get that you feel a species you like was "unfairly" targeted, but it's really nothing new, and it's not going to influence any new hatred towards that animal.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Pep talk please.
Eh... coyote's are frequently despised also; but.... I find that: often times - just seeking out the love (from those that matter more, and have a better opinion).... and just ignoring those that have the negative ones, is always a good idea. ☺

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
One thing I've never liked about Redwall and fiction like it is that some species are Good and others are Bad, and some of my favorite species are among the "Bad" ones.

Rats get an especially bad rap, when they're awesome.

Also, I've been curious about what that creature was in The Suicide Squad trailers, and assumed he was some kind of slow loris or lemur. Now I know!

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
It’s kinda funny how the top species of the fandom is a wolf, yet so many people despise them because they’re still stuck with the Big Bad Wolf philosophy. As well as them being associated to the devil and other religious nonsense, which sadly drove them to extinction in various areas of the world. Luckily, the dynamics are starting shift. But there is still a fierce resistance against them. Kinda hypocritical since we bred them into dogs whom we love dearly.

SerlisTialo

sea cucumber
i don't like how people hate on invertebrates because they have wildly different features to other animals.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
i don't like how people hate on invertebrates because they have wildly different features to other animals.
_82875526_sketch_wide624.jpg

Invertebrate cosplay: you're doing it wrong.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Point taken.

Fenja Weaver

People just have their associations with certain species, I doubt it can be changed.
Wolves are horny wankers, dragons narcissist douchebags, foxes are sluts, whatever.
I don't agree with it, especially not with the last stereotype.
But ey, be the shining example that not all weasels are like people think.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
People just have their associations with certain species, I doubt it can be changed.
Wolves are horny wankers, dragons narcissist douchebags, foxes are sluts, whatever.
I don't agree with it, especially not with the last stereotype.
But ey, be the shining example that not all weasels are like people think.
I just don't like to think of weasels as cowardly. It's completely inaccurate. The weasel family (otters, polecats, wolverines, honey badgers, etc) are fierce and fearless predators and parents. Even tiny weasels, the smallest mammalian predators, will attack big animals and even humans when protecting their babies. Wolverines will attack and fight bears and chase them away from a kill.

Weasels are a lot of things but they are not cowardly.

SerlisTialo

sea cucumber
I just don't like to think of weasels as cowardly. It's completely inaccurate. The weasel family (otters, polecats, wolverines, honey badgers, etc) are fierce and fearless predators and parents. Even tiny weasels, the smallest mammalian predators, will attack big animals and even humans when protecting their babies. Wolverines will attack and fight bears and chase them away from a kill.

on that note whoever decided to use 'chicken' as a synonym for cowardly clearly only knows of them from overhearing broken conversation from the other side of a noisy crowded restaurant.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ

I thought of this thread while listening to a song. It's cute, and stars a couple of brave weasels. ^^