• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Urgent: Friend at Risk of Getting Kicked Out.

nunyakibby

I’m really unsure where to put this and forgive me for such an urgent post but, my friend has been struggling as of late due to being kicked out of their old home in NY. Bare with me for the long story.

I offered to let them stay with my relatives in Baltimore, MD for a while but that is starting to turn sour as well. Though they’ve been accepted to one of our universities, they’ve been struggling with getting a stable job. At first they landed a job at Family dollar but the employer fucked them over by not responding when asked to give them a proper work schedule, even when the employer was told they were at risk of getting kicked out. Though I’ve connected with others who may have a potential job for them in place, my issue is that my relatives are struggling to support him since they live on disability and their other line of support is moving out next Wednesday, and their amount of income is only fit for two people, meaning they legit cannot afford him. And for hindsight, even though we’ve looked for jobs this month that may be open, the problem is that most places weren’t training at the moment due to the holiday season, meaning they’d only be able to hold training and interviews after January, which is dangerously close to the time my friend could be kicked out.

Though he has signed up for food stamps to compensate for the limited money he had to give to them, the place that offered food stamps recently suspended his card for food stamps since he does not have a stable 20+ hours/week job, a kid, or any severe disability. Though I found a potential place for him to work through connecting through friends, the only problem now is housing since it’s a process to get situated at a job. He will be getting housing at the college he’s attending but that’s a few months away before the summer/fall semester begins.

Again, I apologize for the long post and urgency, but does anyone in the Baltimore, Maryland area know anyone who could potentially take him in until he’s able to get himself situated? Another thing to mention is that he an LGBTQ individual so I’d prefer safe places for them to stay.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
They don't suspend your food benefits if you don't work.
Some states have a minimum requirement, but that is waived if they go through a work program through the state.
I've lived in New York on Foodshare before getting my disability.
Your friend's story doesn't add up.

As for help, best you can do is locate men's shelters in a larger city, since it's much easier to live homeless in a larger city.

I was homeless in Rochester for about a year. Lived at a church.

As for being LGBT, there are a lot of them that go homeless and there are resource centers everywhere that help.
Seek those out.
Also, make sure your friend knows to keep their head down. Not just because they're lgbt but because many homeless came from prison.

Good luck

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I'm in NYC and there are actually a lot more resources in the city for LBGTQ youth who've been kicked out. It's also easier to get food stamps and other support without having a family. I've had to do it. I would suggest staying in the city if they can.

If they aren't less than 25, theres a queer employment group on FB. There is also a queer market place where I was able to find a room in a pinch myself.
I would start with reaching out to those organizations first. If you post it on the FB groups they might point you to some.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Update: He managed to move into a temporary home that is pretty helpful. I got him hooked up with someone down here that can give him far more resources. Thank you guys for the kind words and suggestions. He is doing pretty okay at the moment down in Baltimore.

Glad he got some help; was gonna reply to your post, but oddly, I have been going through a very similar ordeal, myself but thanks to some help from friends here and talking to a local LGBT help group, looks like we'll be OK. (me, cat, housemate).

Odd, must be hard times going around Baltimore in general.

But it is a place that's got a kind heart, beneath its rough exterior. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths...I have not really met any furries, who live in Baltimore, city, yet; a few out in the county, years back.

Last edited:

nunyakibby

Glad he got some help; was gonna reply to your post, but oddly, I have been going through a very similar ordeal, myself but thanks to some help from friends here and talking to a local LGBT help group, looks like we'll be OK. (me, cat, housemate).

Odd, must be hard times going around Baltimore in general.

But it is a place that's got a kind heart, beneath its rough exterior. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths...I have not really met any furries, who live in Baltimore, city, yet; a few out in the county, years back.

Honestly it would be nice to meet up with more furries. I usually hang around the city since that’s where I work and go to school. I don’t mind meeting!

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Honestly it would be nice to meet up with more furries. I usually hang around the city since that’s where I work and go to school. I don’t mind meeting!

Ok...I'll send a PM in a bit here. Am on the train home from work but would be fun to meet more Baltimore furs! Maybe there's enough to start a city fur meet especially given all the colleges (MICA, UB , JHU)...must be more furs out there. : )

nunyakibby

Ok...I'll send a PM in a bit here. Am on the train home from work but would be fun to meet more Baltimore furs! Maybe there's enough to start a city fur meet especially given all the colleges (MICA, UB , JHU)...must be more furs out there. : )
Sounds awesome! I'm actually with said friend and they're interested as well!