• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ushanka

blackfuredfox

is a Gunnery Sergeant now.
Not sure.

i would check the phone books and look around some local surplus stores for one, its quicker, you can try them on, and you save cash on shipping.

blackfuredfox

Current Russian Federation Ushankas should be the same as the ones from the Soviet Era. If you want a good one though, stay away from the 'Fish Fur', ( as the synthetic fur is called) ushankas and get one that's made from rabbit fur. They've come from animals that get eaten, rather than animals that are grown strictly for fur like Fox, Mink, Etc. --Besides, they're cheaper as well.

Sinjo

Banned
Banned
I do want the Russian emblem, I'd like to know what each one means really.

also: yea, staying away from faux fur, terrible crap.

blackfuredfox

I do want the Russian emblem, I'd like to know what each one means really.

also: yea, staying away from faux fur, terrible crap.

well mine was just regular Red Army. probably just Infantry.

alaskawolf

fur lined ones are really warm and comfortable

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I'm glad you provided a link to another site that sells a solid product so we can compare for ourselves. Not only that, but you took the extra step to describe what we should look for in a quality Ushanka. It's like you really took into account that he's asking for assistance on finding a solid product, considering his post implies that this isn't an item he's particularly familiar with.

I don't necessarily need to deliver you an answer on a plate with a silver lining in order to present an opinion on what has been suggested so far.
Having a little bit of an experience with these things, and a somewhat good understanding how the western folk usually get ripped off on gear like that, which they have no understanding of and go for the "wow" factor, I thought that an opinion of what not to get would still be useful, then not giving any opinion at all. The hats that were presented were not only non-functional, but also would have been uncomfortable to wear.

Having said that, alaskawolf posted a link to http://www.alaskahat.com/ , which is what real ushanka hats look like. They do not necessarily need to be made out of beaver or fox fur, as the article presents; rabbit fur works just as well for the climates where the temperature do not fall as much.
Even without my opinion it should be obvious that there must be a significant difference between the quality of a 20$ and a 350$ product. One might as wear an ushanka made of plastic, for it would look equally as faux as that 20$ hat is.

Last edited:

Sinjo

Banned
Banned
I don't necessarily need to deliver you an answer on a plate with a silver lining in order to present an opinion on what has been suggested so far.
Having a little bit of an experience with these things, and a somewhat good understanding how the western folk usually get ripped off on gear like that, which they have no understanding of and go for the "wow" factor, I thought that an opinion of what not to get would still be useful, then not giving any opinion at all. The hats that were presented were not only non-functional, but also would have been uncomfortable to wear.

Having said that, alaskawolf posted a link to http://www.alaskahat.com/ , which is what real ushanka hats look like. They do not necessarily need to be made out of beaver or fox fur, as the article presents; rabbit fur works just as well for the climates where the temperature do not fall as much.
Even without my opinion it should be obvious that there must be a significant difference between the quality of a 20$ and a 350$ product. One might as wear an ushanka made of plastic, for it would look equally as faux as that 20$ hat is.
wait, so you're telling me the Russian military is wrong and are not actually wearing ushankas?

these guys have it all wrong, right?
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/thelede/posts/0213russia.jpg

We should call up the Russians and tell them that the hat they are wearing and invented is not a real ushanka

http://www.nato.int/pictures/2002/021024b/b021024i.jpg.

Last edited:

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Those are ceremonial guards wearing ceremonial outfit, it's not a standard issue military uniform, not by far. So of course it's all flashy insignia and faux cheap fur, because cheap = more money spent (stolen) elsewhere, not to mention the military budget has never been large to begin with.

chineese.jpg

Look, an iPhone! Oh, wait, it's not, it's a chineese lookalike with similar features and user interface, large screen and touchescreen features. It's also 5 times cheaper.

I had the pleasure to use both of them. And you know what? The chineese version sucks!
I hope you get my point.

wait, so you're telling me the Russian military is wrong and are not actually wearing ushankas?

these guys have it all wrong, right?
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/thelede/posts/0213russia.jpg

We should call up the Russians and tell them that the hat they are wearing and invented is not a real ushanka

http://www.nato.int/pictures/2002/021024b/b021024i.jpg.

alaskawolf

oh dear god.

fashion ushankas.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

you also seem to be missing the point, that I want the Russian pins.

their ugly but warm :)

hell if you want Russian pins i could ask the Russians up here

Fokkewolf

Russian-languaged-georgian myself I have no clue what "TONAK RASAYRKY" means. Just cause there seems to be no such words at all.
Huh thinking of those sites with Ushankas for 49 bucks, I'd prefer to buy some good artwork and walk with my head covered with only my freaking, three weeks unwashed hair. I don't see a point in Ushanka. Anti-gas mask is way cooler and you feel way warmer in it. And you know what? It protects from the Swine-flu! (Or however it's called.)
If only I had a chance.

Sinjo

Banned
Banned
Russian-languaged-georgian myself I have no clue what "TONAK RASAYRKY" means. Just cause there seems to be no such words at all.
Huh thinking of those sites with Ushankas for 49 bucks, I'd prefer to buy some good artwork and walk with my head covered with only my freaking, three weeks unwashed hair. I don't see a point in Ushanka. Anti-gas mask is way cooler and you feel way warmer in it. And you know what? It protects from the Swine-flu! (Or however it's called.)
If only I had a chance.
I have no hair. so that's out of the question.

Corto

If only I had a chance.
Yes, because you wouldn't look like a huge retard walking down the street wearing a soviet gas-mask. No siree.

I have a couple of Ushankas, my newest one I bought at the Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. Doesn't look very nice (unlike my older one, it's made of fake fur) but it keeps my head warm in winter.

Sinjo

Banned
Banned
Yes, because you wouldn't look like a huge retard walking down the street wearing a soviet gas-mask. No siree.

I have a couple of Ushankas, my newest one I bought at the Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. Doesn't look very nice (unlike my older one, it's made of fake fur) but it keeps my head warm in winter.
I just want one that the Russian soldiers wear. is this so hard to get?

i don't want flipping hats that have four inches of fur sticking out from it. Obviously, the ones that the Russians wear keep their ears and head warm, otherwise they wouldn't be very functional, would they?