• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

UT3 Console Modding Drama

ADF

While UT3 for the PS3 getting PC user mods was a first; I mostly questioned how the PS3 could deal with it on a technological level, such as fitting PC sized maps into console memory. What I didn’t expect was the sheer amount of holy fuck drama allowing PC mods on consoles would cause.

This is what I have ‘observed’ so far.

Mods for the PS3 cannot be made directly; they have to be baked by a PC user who owns a copy of the game, this has resulted in begging and spammage. From what I hear from PC users in the mod community; you cannot have a modding section or a modding thread without it being swarmed by PS3 users begging for mods to be baked, some threads even having 10+ people asking for a mod to be baked when they only need to request once.

Plz bake some modz!!1!
Plz bake some modz!!1!
Plz bake some modz!!1!
Plz bake some modz!!1!
Plz bake some modz!!1!
Plz bake some modz!!1!
X Infinity

You can see how that can become annoying over time, so annoying in fact that some modders have boycotted baking mods altogether. This has made many PS3 users angry so they protest that this reinforced the PC elitist stereotype, baking a mod doesn’t require much effort on the modders part so they don’t see why they don’t do it.

So some after PS3 users have taken to baking mods themselves, without the creator’s permission.

This has really pissed off PC modders because it is their content and they feel they have the right to decide what is done with it. The attitude that PS3 users are automatically entitled to all mods is one of the reasons they boycotted baking in the first place; by ‘stealing’ it they have only convinced the modders PS3 don’t deserve to be part of long running modding communities, especially considering most consume and contribute nothing.

So tensions, anger and drama are all very high over all this. However this was nothing compared to what would happen next.

A modder used the Gears of War editor to port game models over to UT3; it is a project currently in progress, due to legal reasons they have said they cannot bake this mod for the PS3. However, many PS3 users have said they are going to do it anyway. This particularly drew the attention of 360 users who believe GOW models shouldn’t be on the PS3 in any form.

So all hell is going to go down when that mod in finished; especially if the law gets involved, god knows how heated this is all going to become when 360 joins in.

So I have to ask people, do you think they shouldn’t have made baking mods for consoles part of UT3? All it seems to have caused is allot of cross platform tensions, theft of user content and now possibly some legal issues.

Tudd

Unreal started to get a little greedy when the set the system up so that the mods had to be designed on PC using the PC version of the game then transfered over to PS3. Also console owners tend to be much more childish (litterally and figuratively) typically because of the lower cost of console gaming. That and PC gaming is seen as unpopular whereas console gaming is right up there with iPods, this almost guarentees more mature gamers on the PC. Mix the two and you get what you've mentioned above.

I personally think that theres no real solution. Either you get rid of the mod for consoles idea entirely or open it right up and make baking separate from the PC version of the game.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
I wouldn't be surprized if some Modders end up cooking something to prevents their mods from being playable on the PS3.

As for models, check out UT2004, people made tons of models that were "Playstation characters". Get over it you whiners (the 360 people).

Honestly, the best thing would be some type of prevention from 'baking'. Sure it will basically enforce the "PC elitist stereotype" but just because they have Modding capability's doesn't mean jack. Your mods are still coming from PC Land, respect them.

ShagsterP

Ah, hilarious. Why not implement a section on mod websites where console owners can upload or make requests to have their mods readied, which can then be grabbed by generous PC users and taken care of, then re-uploaded to the specific petition? Just an idea. But I guess that requires civility.

Also, do you have to be able to go online with the PC version in order to do this "baking" process? If not, then fuck me, I'll just pirate the thing for the sole task of doing that. I already bought it on the PS3 and I wouldn't be able to play it online with a pirated PC version, anyhow.

Tudd

ShagsterP said:
Ah, hilarious. Why not implement a section on mod websites where console owners can upload or make requests to have their mods readied, which can then be grabbed by generous PC users and taken care of, then re-uploaded to the specific petition? Just an idea. But I guess that requires civility.

Also, do you have to be able to go online with the PC version in order to do this "baking" process? If not, then fuck me, I'll just pirate the thing for the sole task of doing that. I already bought it on the PS3 and I wouldn't be able to play it online with a pirated PC version, anyhow.

The whole issue is that the creators of the mods don't want to give into the demands of the PS3 users.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PS3Mods.html

I've just now skimmed through it and no online appears to be required... I might follow suit just outta curiosity. Only after picking up a copy for PS3 of course.

Bokracroc

Tudd said:
The whole issue is that the creators of the mods don't want to give into the demands of the PS3 users.

The kicker is that they don't have to and they can't force them to. But since the PS3 doesn't have it's own tools....

Tudd

Bokracroc said:
The kicker is that they don't have to and they can't force them to. But since the PS3 doesn't have it's own tools....

Thats why I feel on this issue it must be all or nothing. Taking the middle road requires too much civilty something which on the internet has to be enforced, even then it doesn't always happen. It won't be either because no one wants to take the full time job of babysitting those who can't agree about the owners creative rights of their mods.

ADF

Tudd said:
Unreal started to get a little greedy when the set the system up so that the mods had to be designed on PC using the PC version of the game then transfered over to PS3.
Consoles aren’t really built to handle the full capabilities of game editors, the best editors consoles get tend to be ‘lego’ style were they simply slot pre made objects together and select pre made scripts. In UT making a mod can require coding and a wide range of professional 3D editing programs like 3DMax.

Bokracroc said:
As for models, check out UT2004, people made tons of models that were "Playstation characters". Get over it you whiners (the 360 people).
It is a bit more difficult than that; playstation characters tend to be recreated from scratch, the GOW models on the other hand are game assets directly ported over from the GOW editor and hence under copyright law. GOW is already licensed to be on PC thanks to the PC version and is owned by the same people who made UT so it is ok, but those assets cannot appear on the PS3 legally.

Tudd

ADF said:
Consoles aren’t really built to handle the full capabilities of game editors, the best editors consoles get tend to be ‘lego’ style were they simply slot pre made objects together and select pre made scripts. In UT making a mod can require coding and a wide range of professional 3D editing programs like 3DMax.

Its the fact that it requires the PC version of the game. These PS3 users have already purchased a copy of the game and do not want to buy another one for modding purposes. I really do understand what modding can involve. I say can because complete mods tend to be fairly rare, (good working ones).

ADF

Tudd said:
Its the fact that it requires the PC version of the game. These PS3 users have already purchased a copy of the game and do not want to buy another one for modding purposes.
It's so they have access to all the games content and resources; if they only shipped the editor it would be empty, anything made would have to be done from scratch. Pretty much every game editor is like this, the Crysis and Oblivion editor wouldn't work without the full game to refer to, it has only become a problem when consoles got involved.

It's not like they can let you download an entire games worth of content just to use the editor, the bandwidth alone could cost a fortune.

Bokracroc

ADF said:
Bokracroc said:
It is a bit more difficult than that; playstation characters tend to be recreated from scratch, the GOW models on the other hand are game assets directly ported over from the GOW editor and hence under copyright law. GOW is already licensed to be on PC thanks to the PC version and is owned by the same people who made UT so it is ok, but those assets cannot appear on the PS3 legally.

GOW characters are only the start, (I can't see how they'll fit into UT anyway since they're basically hunched back. Unless it end up the the Nali Warcow model for UT1) soon actual Modellers will make Snake and Mario models (if they don't exist already for UT3) and will refuse to Port them.
And don't Epic own the GOW characters? (Or created them at least)

Tudd

ADF said:
It's so they have access to all the games content and resources; if they only shipped the editor it would be empty, anything made would have to be done from scratch. Pretty much every game editor is like this, the Crysis and Oblivion editor wouldn't work without the full game to refer to, it has only become a problem when consoles got involved.

It's not like they can let you download an entire games worth of content just to use the editor, the bandwidth alone could cost a fortune.

Really underestimating how much I know, but thats fair because I've never said how much of the mod scene I know about. Im aware that you need the content from the game as a starting point to creating a mod. The original content also helps in creating new content seeing as it gives you a guideline as to what the game can and can't handle.

My argument still remains; either they remove the PS3 mod support, solve the current drama through moderation, or leave it wide open meaning anyone can download the compiler and create PS3 mods using the precompiled PC mods. None of which are really good solutions because at the end of the day someones loosing.

A suggestion before anyone considers anything too drastic. Lock all UT 3 mod boards for a weekend with a sticky as to why they're locked. Then create stricter rules regarding the spamming (IP ban, minimum number of posts before being allowed to post in the UT3 mod boards etc.) If this fails, then most hope will be lost for any civilty in the situation.

Bokracroc

Tudd said:
A suggestion before anyone considers anything too drastic. Lock all UT 3 mod boards for a weekend with a sticky as to why they're locked. Then create stricter rules regarding the spamming (IP ban, minimum number of posts before being allowed to post in the UT3 mod boards etc.) If this fails, then most hope will be lost for any civilty in the situation.
Won't work.
Because there's more than 3 UT3 Mod forums/boards all owned and ran by totally different people and opinions.

ShagsterP

Ah, I get it now. At first, I thought this was about PS3 users making their own mods and not owning the PC version to actually make it usable on the PS3 itself, not demanding that PC-ready mods be geared (pun) to work on the console. I don't see what the big deal is. If some of the more popular modders want to make their stuff dual compatible, then so be it; if not, then whatever. As long as I can tinker with my own creations and use a pirated PC version to prepare it for PS3 use, I can't complain.

Tudd

Bokracroc,

Just a sugestion, no matter how impossible it may seem. We could probably get those admins to agree that they hate spam and wasted bandwith but I'm not interested in a crusade and I doubt anyone else is.

ShagsterP,

PS3 owners seem to be going about this the wrong way. (Odd to say that seeing as I am one myself.) Go about things the wrong way you usually don't get what you came for.

As for downloading UT3 I don't know if I'd trust Unreal seeing as theres no copy protection on the disc.

Kyouryuu

They all seem like a bunch of crybabies to me. If I was modding this game, since I don't have a PS3, I would just find someone on-line with a PS3 to test it on and work with them to make sure it works on both platforms. That would be my only concern - that cooking for the PS3 would introduce or reveal issues not present with the PC version. I don't see how it's not in the modders best self-interest to make sure it works cross-platform. Do they want their mod to get played or not?

Bokracroc

What be Target Audience lawl?

I bet a lot of Modders are making mods for the PC version. Why should they care, cater and test for the PS3 audience if they don't have/want to?