• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

VA Furmeet?

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
greg-the-fox said:
Zeke Shadowfyre said:
What about Jillian's at Waterside in Norfolk during the daytime.

You don't have to pay to get in, it's two Hours from Richmond in Downtown Norfolk, there's a bar for the 21+ furs, and 20 and under there are games, and 18+ and up there's a club if you are planning to stay afterdark. You get a refillable game card (plus 1 dollar activation fee), and you can put any amount on the card (I suggest 50 dollars if you are planning to stay all day). If you don't want to eat in Jillian's, there's more restaurants downstairs, There are more places to eat outside of Waterside, like Kelly's Backstage Tavern, or inside the MacArthur mall like max and Erma's, California Pizza Kitchen, Johnny Rockets, Plenty of Starbucks and a Barnes And Noble.

Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound very exiting. :?

Zeke Shadowfyre said:
It's close for some of the Local furs in Tidewater and it's not that far.

Yeah, Norfolk?! Not to be selfish, (being the furthest north so far) it would already take me around 3 hours to make it to Richmond, I'm not driving 5 hours to get to an arcade. If we're in that area, why not just go to Virginia Beach?

Zeke Shadowfyre said:
Amusement Parks during the open season will be packed until the Middle of summer, and not alot of people can afford a ticket to Kings Dominion. You'd have to either go during the week (Weekdays), watch out for entire Groups like School children who are little thieves and rude, Inclement weather (it can be a good thing).

Bush Gardens (If a choice) would be a little better, but it's still a little on the price side.

I've been to Busch Gardens twice and have never encountered any problems. Maybe what your talking about would apply to Six Flags or Kings Dominion... The park is mostly forest, they kept as many trees as possible, just took as many down as was necessary to accommodate roller coasters etc... I think it's a beautiful place and a friendly environment. And it's never that crowded, the lines aren't that long, but in any case I think we should get there when it opens at 10:00 am.

If we went to Jillian's, we'd still be spending a fair amount of money, you recommended $50, you'd have to factor in food, drinks, arcade games...

Busch Garden tickets are $56 dollars, parking is $9, there's a group discount for 15 or more (if we can get that many) where individual tickets would be around $50-$55 including a meal ticket (an entre, a side dish, and a drink)

Not exciting? From experience walking around in Kings Dominion is not very exciting at all, it fact it is miserable because there are so few things to do and so little shade. Mind you I am not obese I just like being being in a nice environment that is well kept. A furmeet isn't supposed to be about running around and riding rides or spending anyway. It is about meeting up with people who share a common ground with you, which is being a furrie.

Let me tell you why "Not" to go to Virginia Beach.

Firstly Virginia Beach is not closer. Secondly Virginia Beach is a tourist trap. Let me spell that out for emphasis, Virgina Beach is a T-O-U-R-I-S-T T-R-A-P, why do you think people come to Norfolk to stay, and then leave to go to Virginia Beach? Everything down there in Virgina Beach is jacked up price wise. It is cheaper to spend a day in Norfolk than it is a day in Virginia Beach. You get can get more food too.

I live in Norfolk, and I visit Virginia Beach time to time. I have a friend who had a job working in Virginia Beach and she had to deal with Tourists quite frequently. Let me quote her words "The tourists are stuck on stupid". Other than the tourists, it is terrible to find parking, because you have to compete with tourists and the locals, and sometimes you will park in places where there is no sign saying you can't, only to come back and find your vehicle gone. It happens to locals too. Most are the places are seasonal, and not alot of places are going to be open.

If you were looking to Virginia beach with less tourists, Mount Trashmore. Have a Picnic where everyone brings something to share with everyone else. Wear your fursuit, Parking's free, theres a few Convenient stores, Pizzerias, and Grocery stores close to the area if you forgot to bring something!

Norfolk has plenty to offer and it is cheaper too because it isn't the center of tourists interactions. Jillians might not seem exciting to you, but it offers up a good point at which you can go off to many different areas. So even if it isn't exciting to you, what you are suggesting might not be very exciting to many so don't bother bring up "Well that doesn't sound fun!"

There are furries who have arranged furmeets at Bowling Alleys, and book stores, and they had fun. It wasn't about bowling or reading books, it was a social gathering. So let us steer away from ideas such as Amusement Parks. such things will just defeat the entire purpose a furmeet because people will be too busy having fun with what the place offers, than to socialize with the people they came to meet.

Anyway, where the fur-meet is should be a middle ground for all of us. Let us not have it in a place that is expensive and very exclusive to a few interests only. We want as many furries as possible to come, let us not set up limits that will limit some or most of them by having it at an Amusement Park or a Tourist Trap, okay?

If you are from out of state, maybe you should stick to furmeets that are in your area. If you can drive all the way down here to Atlanta Georgia, for a furmeet, than Norfolk or Williamsburg should be no problem.

Don't even get me started on all that Williamsburg has to offer, I used to live down there.

I don't know, perhaps there could be two separate meets perhaps?

Personally, I like the amusement park (be it Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens), partly because I just like that sort of thing, I understand others may not. BTW, if you think Kings Dominion is crappy don't ever come up the the Six Flags in Maryland. Looked like Disneyworld compared to the place up here when we went awhile back. Also, since I live well to the north, I doubt I would drive about 3.5-4 hours to go to a bar or hang out at a mall. Ah, doesn't matter though, I am from Southern Maryland so you Virginians hash it out.

I might be moving to Virginia at the end of May. I am moving to the Fairfax area. I think that I could go if I do move.

greg-the-fox

Zeke Shadowfyre said:
greg-the-fox said:
Zeke Shadowfyre said:
What about Jillian's at Waterside in Norfolk during the daytime.

You don't have to pay to get in, it's two Hours from Richmond in Downtown Norfolk, there's a bar for the 21+ furs, and 20 and under there are games, and 18+ and up there's a club if you are planning to stay afterdark. You get a refillable game card (plus 1 dollar activation fee), and you can put any amount on the card (I suggest 50 dollars if you are planning to stay all day). If you don't want to eat in Jillian's, there's more restaurants downstairs, There are more places to eat outside of Waterside, like Kelly's Backstage Tavern, or inside the MacArthur mall like max and Erma's, California Pizza Kitchen, Johnny Rockets, Plenty of Starbucks and a Barnes And Noble.

Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound very exiting. :?

Zeke Shadowfyre said:
It's close for some of the Local furs in Tidewater and it's not that far.

Yeah, Norfolk?! Not to be selfish, (being the furthest north so far) it would already take me around 3 hours to make it to Richmond, I'm not driving 5 hours to get to an arcade. If we're in that area, why not just go to Virginia Beach?

Zeke Shadowfyre said:
Amusement Parks during the open season will be packed until the Middle of summer, and not alot of people can afford a ticket to Kings Dominion. You'd have to either go during the week (Weekdays), watch out for entire Groups like School children who are little thieves and rude, Inclement weather (it can be a good thing).

Bush Gardens (If a choice) would be a little better, but it's still a little on the price side.

I've been to Busch Gardens twice and have never encountered any problems. Maybe what your talking about would apply to Six Flags or Kings Dominion... The park is mostly forest, they kept as many trees as possible, just took as many down as was necessary to accommodate roller coasters etc... I think it's a beautiful place and a friendly environment. And it's never that crowded, the lines aren't that long, but in any case I think we should get there when it opens at 10:00 am.

If we went to Jillian's, we'd still be spending a fair amount of money, you recommended $50, you'd have to factor in food, drinks, arcade games...

Busch Garden tickets are $56 dollars, parking is $9, there's a group discount for 15 or more (if we can get that many) where individual tickets would be around $50-$55 including a meal ticket (an entre, a side dish, and a drink)

Not exciting? From experience walking around in Kings Dominion is not very exciting at all, it fact it is miserable because there are so few things to do and so little shade. Mind you I am not obese I just like being being in a nice environment that is well kept. A furmeet isn't supposed to be about running around and riding rides or spending anyway. It is about meeting up with people who share a common ground with you, which is being a furrie.

An amusement park being boring... that's a new one :roll: Well whatever floats your boat.

Btw, I think the plan is to go to Busch Gardens. Not Kings Dominion. We're past that.

Zeke Shadowfyre said:
Let me tell you why "Not" to go to Virginia Beach.

Firstly Virginia Beach is not closer. Secondly Virginia Beach is a tourist trap. Let me spell that out for emphasis, Virgina Beach is a T-O-U-R-I-S-T T-R-A-P, why do you think people come to Norfolk to stay, and then leave to go to Virginia Beach? Everything down there in Virgina Beach is jacked up price wise. It is cheaper to spend a day in Norfolk than it is a day in Virginia Beach. You get can get more food too.

I live in Norfolk, and I visit Virginia Beach time to time. I have a friend who had a job working in Virginia Beach and she had to deal with Tourists quite frequently. Let me quote her words "The tourists are stuck on stupid". Other than the tourists, it is terrible to find parking, because you have to compete with tourists and the locals, and sometimes you will park in places where there is no sign saying you can't, only to come back and find your vehicle gone. It happens to locals too. Most are the places are seasonal, and not alot of places are going to be open.

If you were looking to Virginia beach with less tourists, Mount Trashmore. Have a Picnic where everyone brings something to share with everyone else. Wear your fursuit, Parking's free, theres a few Convenient stores, Pizzerias, and Grocery stores close to the area if you forgot to bring something!

Norfolk has plenty to offer and it is cheaper too because it isn't the center of tourists interactions. Jillians might not seem exciting to you, but it offers up a good point at which you can go off to many different areas. So even if it isn't exciting to you, what you are suggesting might not be very exciting to many so don't bother bring up "Well that doesn't sound fun!"

There are furries who have arranged furmeets at Bowling Alleys, and book stores, and they had fun. It wasn't about bowling or reading books, it was a social gathering. So let us steer away from ideas such as Amusement Parks. such things will just defeat the entire purpose a furmeet because people will be too busy having fun with what the place offers, than to socialize with the people they came to meet.

Anyway, where the fur-meet is should be a middle ground for all of us. Let us not have it in a place that is expensive and very exclusive to a few interests only. We want as many furries as possible to come, let us not set up limits that will limit some or most of them by having it at an Amusement Park or a Tourist Trap, okay?

If you are from out of state, maybe you should stick to furmeets that are in your area. If you can drive all the way down here to Atlanta Georgia, for a furmeet, than Norfolk or Williamsburg should be no problem.

Don't even get me started on all that Williamsburg has to offer, I used to live down there.

Hooooly shit. Fuck Virginia Beach. I know it sucks. I wasn't serious about that geez. I was making a point that Jillians is nothing special.

You ignored my point about location, it should be a compromise. If you'll have another look at this map, notice how you picked a spot closest to YOU, but inconveniencing everyone else. We also have people from Maryland who want to come and that map is not up to date anyway. You talk about people not being able to afford going to an amusement park? Well it would take me at least 4 or 5 hours to travel down there, there is no way in HELL I am going to drive back in that same day, presumably in the middle of the night. I don't think my parents would be too happy with that. So unless I left at 5 in the afternoon, which I really don't want to do, I would end up spending a night in a hotel, WHICH COSTS MONEY! Add that up with the cost of food and arcade games, and you come to over $100 which is MUCH more expensive than going to an amusement park for a day. I'm speaking for all of us farther north, not just me. That is totally out of the way and I think would deter people from coming. I certainly won't come, I can't afford it. And all you have to do is walk down the street.

It doesn't have to be an amusement park anyway, my point is, keep it near Richmond. Go ahead, have it in some random bookstore if you want. I am not coming to Norfolk. That is not fair.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
-cutting down for edit-

If you read completey through my post, I had mentioned another idea instead of anyone paying for Admission price, which was Mount Trashmore out in VA beach.

Free parking, tourists Don't visit that area often, nice space, and good Idea for a BBQ in the warm weather.

And you should know that you are being Unreasonable as well, and do not tell me that I am being Unfair. Not alot of furries can go up to Richmond as well. You forget, you have furs living on the OBX (Outerbanks) and the border of NC.

..or just not have it at all since the both of us cannot come to a descison we can agree on. I can start one on my time after this college Symester is through in my area.

skulltoe

I'm actually going Wednesday now, but I got some reservations for a really expensive hotel ($750 a night!) thanks to my dad. And we live in an apartment...

Yeah, I'll be at Busch gardens every day of this week Wed-Sunday.

But again, I can NOT meet with anyone, my parents are... strict, to say the least. But hey, only... 2 more years? I hope I can put up with that much... Back to the point though, I might wave, but probly not even that, because my dad would ask what the hell was wrong with me :D

It sucks when your parents love CSI.

Grimfang

shebawolf145 said:
I might be moving to Virginia at the end of May. I am moving to the Fairfax area. I think that I could go if I do move.

Sweet. That's close to where I live.

If this drags on long enough, maybe you'll be able to jump in too xD

skulltoe

Hah, well now I'm back from Busch Gardens, it was awesome. The hotel sucked though, the first night it caught on fire at 12am, we went out to a Wawa in Williamsburg and get some donuts and soda, then went to sleep at 1. You have no idea how scary it is to wake up in a burning hotel. (No, it didn't burn to the ground, it's still ok.) D: Then two days after that, we got accused of not paying our breakfast bill, which we did, and were denied service. I mean, they let us sit down and eat, but NOBODY came to help us, and we had to ask for EVERYTHING. In a hotel like that, those things shouldn't happen.

Anyway, it was fun. Too bad this didn't get organized while I was there though. I probably won't be in Virginia again for a looong time.

Grimfang said:
shebawolf145 said:

Well I just found out that I may not be moving there at all or if I do it won't be for a long time...

greg-the-fox

shebawolf145 said:
Grimfang said:
shebawolf145 said:

Well I just found out that I may not be moving there at all or if I do it won't be for a long time...

aww :( Well from the look of things whole thing might not happen either.

haha, what is it with Virginia? :p I am right around DC so I subscribe to the Maryland and Virginia Fur groups and I just laugh at all the arguments going on in the Virginia group as opposed to the Maryland group, even though the Maryland group supposedly has more members. Just seems like the simplest of meets can turn in to a drama fest overnight. While it does make for some fun reading at night, it has made me hesitant to attend some of the events knowing what can often happen. I am hoping that this event can still go on in some way though as it does sound fun. I may even have a fur from London visiting around that time and I am sure he would like to join in if here at that time. Hopefully this meet can be revisited once warmer weather is upon us.

*waves to dogoverman*

Pandanaught

I happen to be in the VA area as well and if for some reason this thread concept resurrects itself I'd be interested. I'm not sure if the idea has been suggested but perhaps meeting via a chat program first to organize things would be better since there was a the mention of organizing via forums. Plus it'll give the opportunity to know each other better. If a theme park doesn't work wouldn't a a park could be a suitable option.