• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Valve Steam Deck

Ratt Carry

16GB of ram
Up to 512GB of PCIe SSD storage with MicroSD and USB-C expansion ports
60Hz screen
1280x800 resolution
2 track pads and 4 back paddles
Supports external controllers in it's handheld mode
Can be hooked up to a monitor and have PC software installed (not sure the extent of this but emulation is possible).
By virtue of being Steam, literally *thousands* of games at launch.
$400 for the base model.

This shit is getting bought.

Vishunei

Lamenting Lynx
This is what powerful handheld gaming looks like, at least it's got respectable specs. I may definitely consider this if it won't inevitably sell out during holiday season. Way more of a pleasing surprise rather than Oled Switch.

MainHammond

Former Big Toasty Cinnamon Bun
It looks good. The problem I have is with the controllers.
Pc doesn't have an standard for 3rd party controllers. You can play on PC with PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4,Switch, or xbox whatever series controllers, even though most of the games are optimized for every single kind of controller, so you have to config them.
So I wonder how does that gonna translate into this console.

Lexiand

Werewolf a Witchhat
I thought this was some sort of off brand thing when I saw a picture of this.
But I was wrong. Valve made this.
Thats kind of cool,

Ratt Carry

Honestly feel like my Switch will get maybe a day or two of play every few months when this comes out. I won't sell it because I just refuse to sell consoles. But its going to become even more of a paperweight for me than it already is now.

I can't believe this just exists.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I don't feel like this will be that big of a deal for some reason. Most people don't even finish or play 90% of the games they own anyway.

Also wondering what kind of limitations the device will have when it comes to gameplay, online or offline.

Tattorack

Explorer
This is not the first time a handheld PC console with good specs was released. They existed before the Switch and they still exist now.
Moreover, the Steam Deck does not solve any of the issues that are inherent to portable handheld PC consoles, namely; very short battery life (Steam Deck, 8 hours playing some small indie game, 2 hours playing something that actually requires graphical output), overall weak performance (my GTX 1060 has better graphical power than what the Deck's APU can output, and the 1060 is an old card by now), weight (namely, being very heavy for a handheld) and temperature.

My issue isn't that this exists. I mean... so what?
My issue is that people are treating this like they just saw Gabe walking on water, like this is the best new shit on the block, like this is going to kill Nintendo, like this will forever change PC gaming.
But... it's literally nothing new or special!!

Ratt Carry

This is not the first time a handheld PC console with good specs was released. They existed before the Switch and they still exist now.
Moreover, the Steam Deck does not solve any of the issues that are inherent to portable handheld PC consoles, namely; very short battery life (Steam Deck, 8 hours playing some small indie game, 2 hours playing something that actually requires graphical output), overall weak performance (my GTX 1060 has better graphical power than what the Deck's APU can output, and the 1060 is an old card by now), weight (namely, being very heavy for a handheld) and temperature.

My issue isn't that this exists. I mean... so what?
My issue is that people are treating this like they just saw Gabe walking on water, like this is the best new shit on the block, like this is going to kill Nintendo, like this will forever change PC gaming.
But... it's literally nothing new or special!!

-Yeah. Handheld pc's have existed. And they were limited trash costing upwards minimum of $700+. Deck starts at a measly $400 and based on what we have seen is far more capable, streamlined, and versatile.

-2-8 hours in a handheld is standard for this. Most LAPTOPS with any decent power last about 6-8 hours. The Switch does 1/4 what this is capable of and at max gets 6 for games optimized for it.

-No one in here said the Switch or Nintendo is going to be killed by this.

-Why are you comparing a handheld PC to a *desktop grade GPU*? Of course the GPU will out perform it. A PC will outperform anything. But last I checked, I cant play my super powerful PC with my 2070 Super in my bed, on trips, at my friends, or...anywhere I want. Compared to its competitors priced similarly it outperforms them.

Imagine being annoyed that people are excited about a nifty, affordable device they can use for whatever they want. No one ever gets hype for Valve hardware so maybe this time they have something appealing which is why people are interested? Lol

Rayd

profound asshole
i have a few worries, the most obvious being battery life, but i also worry about how good the buttons/joysticks are and if they'll last, since they don't seem like they'll be very easy to repair/replace. the control layout itself also seems very awkward and claustrophobic in my opinion, and doesn't look very comfortable to hold.

despite all that i'll probably bite. even if i'll have to pay nearly a thousand USD to install more than 1 game on it, lol.

Stratelier

-2-8 hours in a handheld is standard for this. Most LAPTOPS with any decent power last about 6-8 hours. The Switch does 1/4 what this is capable of and at max gets 6 for games optimized for it.
People are more interested in the minimum battery life, for which 2 hours isn't exactly much ... the launch Switch got criticized for its minimum 2hr battery life (current models have a minimum of 4hr).

Vishunei

Lamenting Lynx
Imagine being annoyed that people are excited about a nifty, affordable device they can use for whatever they want. No one ever gets hype for Valve hardware so maybe this time they have something appealing which is why people are interested? Lol
Precisely.

Tattorack

Explorer
-Yeah. Handheld pc's have existed. And they were limited trash costing upwards minimum of $700+. Deck starts at a measly $400 and based on what we have seen is far more capable, streamlined, and versatile.

-No one in here said the Switch or Nintendo is going to be killed by this.

-Why are you comparing a handheld PC to a *desktop grade GPU*? Of course the GPU will out perform it. A PC will outperform anything. But last I checked, I cant play my super powerful PC with my 2070 Super in my bed, on trips, at my friends, or...anywhere I want. Compared to its competitors priced similarly it outperforms them.

Not more or less trash than the Steam Deck will be. Just because it carries a Valve logo doesn't make it different or better.

Everyone is saying Switch and Nintendo will get killed by this. They just happen to be on this particular forum.

More powerful GPUs exist in portable devices. There are portable devices currently that have exponentially better GPU power than my desktop.
And you can absolutely play them on your bed. They're called "laptops". And laptops with the same power as the Deck cost about the same as the Deck anyway, sooo...

I don't care that the Deck exists. I do care about people putting it on a golden pedestal.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
It looks really nice.
But I'm going to wait it out in case of a wave of "DON'T GET IT BEACUSE X REASONS!"
Like as in maybe it's battery life is shocking, maybe stick drifto, etc.

Honestly I kinda have a slightly high expectation from Valve, but at same time it still gives me vibes of that it's just a rip off of say a Nintendo Switch.

Although I likely won't have a reason to use it since I rarely leave home.

This looks extremely promising.

I get it if people aren't interested because they don't want a handheld, but anyone within their right mind should at least be a little bit impressed at what it has on paper and for the price that we can get it for. This is not a switch with 8 year old hardware but a full blown PC in your hands for around 400 Euros. If you look up alternatives for any sort of handheld that even meets the same performance and with similar hardware you can almost double the cost(This is as said, when comparing it to other handhelds that is also a computer i.e not a switch and not laptops or chromebooks that cannot even run windows), this is simply something you cannot ignore or shrug about, it is impressive.

That aside however, since you will be able to install a proper version of windows on this sucker I can see how this would replace my old laptop I am still clinging onto. Apparently you will also be able to replace and put in your own nvme ssd as well, so it's just to get the base model and put in whatever you wish after the fact.

I can see how this would replace my clunky old laptop as a light browsing and youtube machine I use in bed late at night, or the few travels I make once in a full moon I could pack the Steamdeck instead. Personally I am more interested in having it as a portable computer that I can also game on, more so than a handheld console or gaming device which is what it's meant to be first and foremost. I did put in a reservation but time will tell if I end up getting one and how the initial reception of it will be when people get their hands on it, it has a good price tag from the looks of it and good hardware for what it's meant to do, but I have a hard time to justify buying these things when they are not a necessity.

It's worth to mention that a lot of people are cheering for this product as well as it would make an amazing emulator machine, not only running steamOS and steam library games. You get the hardware, and seemingly will be able to install whatever operating system you want on it, run any PC software you want on it, essentially do whatever you want with it, something you cannot do on let's say a switch in an easy manner or even at all on some versions. Count that in with Valve's design of this handheld, and hardware that is capable, you're kinda setting yourself up for success as long as the execution is done well and it deliver on what it promises.

It's the package that's impressive really, if you break down what it is such as the shape of the handheld and how you play a game with it, or if you take it for the specs alone and compare it with a computer there's nothing super exciting about it, but I kind of already explained why it's getting people excited for other reasons.

Last edited:

Hound-of-chulainn

SWITCH BTFO

In all seriousness I reserved one of these bad boys. Having my Steam library on the go just sounds really convenient.
Yeah, my order in queue is for Q2, so I'll get advance warning if there are any major issues at launch, but I wont wait too long compared to others that reserved a spot after day 2. :p
I'm hoping the SSD is upgradable, but even if it isn't, I have a 256 gig microsd on my switch that I can use for games as well. I'm mostly just excited about the idea of an ultra portable computer in that form factor. :D