• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
One question, @Flamingo , before I put that whole issue to bed. This is me venting some of my paranoia.

Given that the big kerfuffle that led you to intervene started off of a news story (and I may look to see if news stories were the point of origin for some of the previous thread-locking scuffles), do you think we'll have to extend the existing politics ban to news coverage, or specifically spell out what counts as political?

(I am really hoping it doesn't have to go that far, given how far-reaching a news ban can be or the amount of backlash and accusations that can come from spelling things out as 'political', but I'm not you and don't get to see the worst parts of this every time I'm here.)

Technically 'news' as a subject is already not permitted; threads about news and current events have been removed in the past.

What constitutes current events or politics has a fuzzy edge though, and you know- we risk getting into territories where if somebody complains that their country has passed unfair laws that target them for, say, being a lesbian, that somebody who hates lesbians would be able to exploit that in order to try to get the staff to remove that user.

I guess that's my vent? A little one.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
Just my take. I don't think people should get banned for political and/or news talk, especially if there's an issue concerning both sides, whether they fundamentally disagree or not, as long as it doesn't turn into personal insults. Plus, should we bar people for talking about what's currently happening that they feel is affecting them, if not now, then in the future? Bring back the politics section for Christ's sake.

Flamingo

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No one has been banned for political and/or news talk. We delete it and send a reminder to stop (which is often ignored :) , like right now as you post an inherently politically charged comment).

Regarding your second post (which I deleted, for political content lol) - I respect the passion and desire to express yourself, but this is a furry art exchange website. There's probably a better venue for you to discuss that sentiment. That's not to say posting that would lead to deletion/lock/etc at face value, but I am sure fifteen minutes into the conversation there will be passionate mud slinging and end up being locked/us cleaning up a dozen reports.

Last edited:

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
No one has been banned for political and/or news talk. We delete it and send a reminder to stop.

Regarding your second post - I respect the passion and desire to express yourself, but this is a furry art exchange website. There's probably a better venue for you to discuss that sentiment. That's not to say posting that would lead to deletion/lock/etc at face value, but I am sure fifteen minutes into the conversation there will be passionate mud slinging and end up being locked/us cleaning up a dozen reports.
I'd love to find a place that allows certain discussions, but people are so scared about controversial topics and confrontation, so they just bottle it up every platform they go on. Let's not forget active censorship on "appropriate" platforms.

I'll just say this, people get pushed into a corner for too long from everywhere, and they become highly reactionary, and it gets expressed one way or another, because part of being human is having a voice, and wanting it be heard especially during times of distress. Things get bottled up far too long, and that expression is the bottle breaking, sometimes with a little bit too much force, admittedly. And, you clearly see that trying to contain it doesn't work very well, because even if you lessen someone's voice, you don't solve their issues or their distress, on all sides of the political compass.

Flamingo

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, FAF isn't intended to be the place for those discussions. So while I appreciate your desire to express yourself and understand the argument about a necessity to do so, I would encourage you to go find the many like minded souls who love to express their political sentiments in venues like Twitter (or insert social media of your choice here). Hell, you could go on the main site and probably express most of your political content without hindrance as the prohibition on political content (unless it is hateful, etc) doesn't extend there.

Containment only hasn't worked because of leniency. We could just start suspending for it and we probably should for those who make a habit of ignoring the request to stop.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Containment only hasn't worked because of leniency. We could just start suspending for it and we probably should for those who make a habit of ignoring the request to stop.
Your and staff's call, but to some of us on the outside this does look like it went into Euclid Class long ago.

(Last joke, I promise.)

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
In the interest of getting this thread back on track.
Jobs that require you to talk to randos for nearly 8 hours straight is exhausting, irritating and frustrating. Especially when you're an introvert.
(Don't ever go tech support, for your own sake)

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
In the interest of getting this thread back on track.
Jobs that require you to talk to randos for nearly 8 hours straight is exhausting, irritating and frustrating. Especially when you're an introvert.
(Don't ever go tech support, for your own sake)
Already worked with customer support previously, so I know exactly how you feel. :p

I miss being able to tell people they are a fuckface directly to their face.

Mineph

My dad had to go back to the hospital earlier this week (I may have mentioned this? I don't recall, a lot has happened) but he came home today-- and there are some pretty concerning things listed on his discharge papers.
Also I mentioned my mom got back from the hospital in my other post, and she's been getting a lot better. Turns out when she went the first time, she had pneumonia and sepsis!
And to top it all off, my grandma fell and tore something in her shoulder, rendering her arm almost useless, and my grandpa's cancer has relapsed.

Can the universe, like, hop off of my family's metaphorical dick for like 5 seconds? Please???

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
My dad had to go back to the hospital earlier this week (I may have mentioned this? I don't recall, a lot has happened) but he came home today-- and there are some pretty concerning things listed on his discharge papers.
Also I mentioned my mom got back from the hospital in my other post, and she's been getting a lot better. Turns out when she went the first time, she had pneumonia and sepsis!
And to top it all off, my grandma fell and tore something in her shoulder, rendering her arm almost useless, and my grandpa's cancer has relapsed.

Can the universe, like, hop off of my family's metaphorical dick for like 5 seconds? Please???
At least if she is getting better then drugs they have

Fcomega121

Friendly Vaporeon
I hate how potato chip bags are 50% air nowadays.
50% nitrogen but still only like 3 potatos and everything else;
NNNNNNNNNN

Saokymo

Art Cookie
Woke up with my lips all itchy and swollen for no apparent reason. It’s like I rubbed tea tree oil on my face (I’m allergic to it on my skin), but I know better. Took some antihistamines, so the rash reaction is going down... but what the hell set me off? I have no idea!

quoting_mungo

Best birthday present ever: vet calls to tell me she got test results back on blood draw we did Friday (as a precursor to dental cleaning, so no inherent expectation of bad news there), and my 11 year old ragdoll has elevated kidney values which could be an early indication of kidney disease. I could have expected it on the other cat, who’s had borderline kidney numbers in the past, but nooo, it has to be my baby girl.

I’m catastrophizing like mad because I’m terrified of losing her - I already lost both her aunt and her sister to liver problems.

Flamingo

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Best birthday present ever: vet calls to tell me she got test results back on blood draw we did Friday (as a precursor to dental cleaning, so no inherent expectation of bad news there), and my 11 year old ragdoll has elevated kidney values which could be an early indication of kidney disease. I could have expected it on the other cat, who’s had borderline kidney numbers in the past, but nooo, it has to be my baby girl.

I’m catastrophizing like mad because I’m terrified of losing her - I already lost both her aunt and her sister to liver problems.

Sorry to hear it. If its any consolation I have a pet who was born with very low functioning kidneys and it is manageable with diet. If you want to chat about it at all, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I hope that your fur baby lives a long and happy life.

quoting_mungo

Sorry to hear it. If its any consolation I have a pet who was born with very low functioning kidneys and it is manageable with diet. If you want to chat about it at all, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I hope that your fur baby lives a long and happy life.
Yeah; I’m more worried about what may have caused her kidneys to decline. My first ragdoll (her aunt) didn’t wake up from surgery for a cyst on/in her bile duct, and her sister lost her battle with feline hepatic lipidosis some years ago. Plus prescription diet kibbles are half bulk filler, so it irks me that I may have to put her on one of them.

I’m hoping she’ll be okay, but I feel pretty justified in being scared. Plus worst birthday gift ever.

EDIT: Aaand the vet just called again and the other cat ALSO has some possible kidney issues. So that’s fun. :/

Last edited: