• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Borophagus Metropolis

The last prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
Big changes are coming...

Should I:

1. Take a job offer: "money is not a problem", "you can run this place", etc.

Or

B. Finish my BS degree and continue towards PhD, and work part time but basically be broke as shit.

Side notes...
In scenario 1, I instantly get a lightly used WRX and a new Yamaha MT-07.

In scenario B, I keep my old ass Jeep and get a similarly old ass Honda VT750.

Last edited:

Khione Frostfang

Moody Leopardess - Approach with caution!
Thank you
My mom doesn't have contact with her, and even if she did, I can't get him back. So, when I move in a few months, I am planning on going to the local SPCA to adopt an adult cat, preferably older because they get adopted less than younger cats. I really would like a cat, because I have anxiety and related issues. Cats have always made me feel so much better and feel so happy.
Sorry but your mom does sound a bit entitled for that stunt.

Good on you, Kitty! Wishing you all the best in the future, hon. Best wishes.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi

Should I:

Or

B. Finish my BS degree and continue towards PhD, and work part time but basically be broke as shit.

Side notes...

I mean getting money is important, but also having a fulfilled life is important as well. TO me those cars mean nothing xD I have no idea what is better or worse or what is more one's style. But also getting a higher education can lead to more money in the end (Which is the goal of any job and education).
Life is made up of a lot of decisions the come together to make us by the time we die, and so long as we are happy with who we are at that last moment we can be whole :3

Borophagus Metropolis

I mean getting money is important, but also having a fulfilled life is important as well. TO me those cars mean nothing xD I have no idea what is better or worse or what is more one's style. But also getting a higher education can lead to more money in the end (Which is the goal of any job and education).
Life is made up of a lot of decisions the come together to make us by the time we die, and so long as we are happy with who we are at that last moment we can be whole :3

Cars mean nothing, but motorcycles ... Mmm ... Yeah, I'm pretty much over material possessions, but I do like to have fun. I wanna go fast!

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Cars mean nothing, but motorcycles ... Mmm ... Yeah, I'm pretty much over material possessions, but I do like to have fun. I wanna go fast!
Im more a granny, nice and slow, something with a lot of material to break my fall. But finding what you like is important as well. TO me the best option is forgo the cars, try and work part time and get at least your BS.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
But that job offer ... I could be shop foreman.
I dont know what that does. If you're really interested in it, go for it! But you also have to imagine where it can lead. What comes after shop forman? How far can you go? If you had a PHD where could you go? Your starting position may be low, but at some point you can be a lead researcher or a head doctor or something. Its tempting right now to go to something high, but where would you be 10 years down the line?

Borophagus Metropolis

I dont know what that does. If you're really interested in it, go for it! But you also have to imagine where it can lead. What comes after shop forman? How far can you go? If you had a PHD where could you go? Your starting position may be low, but at some point you can be a lead researcher or a head doctor or something. Its tempting right now to go to something high, but where would you be 10 years down the line?

Yeah, it's 10 years down the line... I would still be the shop foreman. That's it. Or, I could be Dr. Broof. Just call me Doctor.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Yeah, it's 10 years down the line... I would still be the shop foreman. That's it. Or, I could be Dr. Broof. Just call me Doctor.
So Shop foreman has little growth, and I think being stagnant is never fun, nothing changes, as where if you get a degree and go down a different path you'll have more options open to yourself, so you can grow and develop your career.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
I hate life choices! I need more lives to do more things.
I certainly feel like that. *Hugs* Personally I would get my degree, but then again I'm not you, you ultimately have to make this choice on your own. Reap rewards now, but further stagnation later, or suffer now to get even better rewards later? Whatever you choose Boro you can still make the best out of it. There are people less fortunate in the world and I know that you can do it *Hugs you tightly*

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

Should I:

Or

Side notes...

Ask yourself that classic question 'where do you want to be in 5 years?'

Do your long-term career goals require a graduate or PhD level qualification?
Do you want to work in foreign countries?

M

ManicTherapsid

I'm applying to do a graduate certificate in GIS at the same school I got my Bachelors. I have no idea why I have to obtain another copy of my transcripts to send to them. They already have them. They're electronic, they're not even in another building or a different room.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I wish I knew how to tell my mother off politely. She just decided on my way to work that she'd ask where I planned to move between NB and Ontario, like I had spent years looking at houses or had job offers lined up or something. On top of that she suggested I could rent out a room in the house I buy to help pay it off.

Still only having minimum wage qualifications, I cannot find a house that was intended for someone like me. Even a two bedroom house is over 100k. I can't afford to pay a 1k mortgage and bills AND still have money left over to eat. I don't have a car or my license yet to guarantee I'll even make it to and from where I work. If I rented out the room, I would need to pay to take a course and have to I best in things like insurance.

Please fuck off. I am not going to put myself into 30 years of debt just because you are tired of seeing me every day. I pay the rent you ask of me. I walk your dog. I do chores without having to be asked. I haven't done anything to breach the terms we agreed upon.

You spent half of your life hopping from one idea to the next and none of them have followed through. So why can't I choose to pace myself in a way that allows me to accomplish all of these WITHOUT sacrificing what tiny fraction of a soul I have left?

Borophagus Metropolis

I wish I knew how to tell my mother off politely. She just decided on my way to work that she'd ask where I planned to move between NB and Ontario, like I had spent years looking at houses or had job offers lined up or something. On top of that she suggested I could rent out a room in the house I buy to help pay it off.

Still only having minimum wage qualifications, I cannot find a house that was intended for someone like me. Even a two bedroom house is over 100k. I can't afford to pay a 1k mortgage and bills AND still have money left over to eat. I don't have a car or my license yet to guarantee I'll even make it to and from where I work. If I rented out the room, I would need to pay to take a course and have to I best in things like insurance.

Please fuck off. I am not going to put myself into 30 years of debt just because you are tired of seeing me every day. I pay the rent you ask of me. I walk your dog. I do chores without having to be asked. I haven't done anything to breach the terms we agreed upon.

You spent half of your life hopping from one idea to the next and none of them have followed through. So why can't I choose to pace myself in a way that allows me to accomplish all of these WITHOUT sacrificing what tiny fraction of a soul I have left?

Honestly, I think living with one's parents as adult is underrated....if you can stand them. I left home at 18 and it's been nothing but a constant financial struggle.

Rimna

Well-Known Monkey

Should I:

Or

Side notes...

Is there a possibility that you can take the job while working on your degree? It's gonna be a pain in the ass to grind so hard tho.

Khione Frostfang

Moody Leopardess - Approach with caution!
She kind of is actually...

And thank you. ♡
You're very much welcome! If you ever need someone to vent to, my ears are always open to listen. Best of luck!

It's only 9PM here, and I'm already feeling sleepy, like I seriously hate this weather, it's been cloudy here, but the humid air is still quite thick, and it's making my diabetes go completely haywire, when I'd taken quite a lot of time to get it under control but now it's going batshit, this is why I'd rather live somewhere cold all year round, as it keeps my levels down, and not sky high. Can't test to see how high they are, as my testing device is kinda broke, the batteries died out, and can't get anymore else where, at the moment.

Fcomega121

Friendly Lady Blitz von Reolvia
I feel like that pretty much all the time. I say something wrong or I just am stupid. But people keep telling me im not, and that they dont. And so I will do the same for you. I dont hate you, and I would be saddened if you left us. *hugs*
*hugs you and birdad super tightly*

We say that because it is true dear
You're the most beautiful and kind hearted person I have ever known!

*smooches*

Fcomega121

Friendly Lady Blitz von Reolvia
And my vent is a bit sad..

This cute animal right here;
images

It is called vaquita marina (Small Marine Cow) and there's only 10-17 living individuals in the world (mexico solely) and... I'm sad for that

I don't want to see a species go extinct in front of my eyes without even got the chance to meet them. as it happened to the dodos, passenger pigeons, thylacines-(<3) or etc.

Just wanted to express it ;w;

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Honestly, I think living with one's parents as adult is underrated....if you can stand them. I left home at 18 and it's been nothing but a constant financial struggle.

I'm not sure which country you're in, but in the UK rent and housing costs are insane. Even if you adjust for inflation, the real-terms cost of simply *existing* has absolutely rocketed upwards for decades.
I'm really not sure how anybody is meant to afford to live anywhere.

Quite frankly, I look forward to retirement.
I want to grow grapes.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
9180bf827c579e2289b366a313c32997.gif

My brother looked after my cat for me for two days (I was ill) and the cat:

1. Peed on his bed.
2. Vomited on the floor.
3. Escaped through a window and had to be rescued from the kitchen roof.

FML.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I'm really not sure how anybody is meant to afford to live anywhere.
Since I've considered moving out into my own house and was trying to find places under $150k USD, I can tell you that at least here in America, buying an affordable house means you're basically required to buy out rotting husks (I believe the formal term is "fixer-upper", but rudely calling them rotting husks gives you an idea of the expense needed to fix them) or really small or remote places. I don't know what the common house size is over in the UK, but I know that the price I listed, at least in my part of the US, is not going to get you a house greater than 1500 square feet (which, ironically, is my UPPER limit for a house), or I think somewhere slightly under 140 square meters.

And both my current and target areas are among the REALLY cheap ones, where you're expected to commute at least half an hour with your own method of transportation to any place you actually want to go (though half an hour beats the hour I do now).

Beyond that? I couldn't tell you anything to answer your comment besides "generational wealth", and we all know how rare THAT is.