• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Paws the Opinicus

*Not technically* a Gryphon!
Day three of near-unbearable heat* and smoke from B.C. wildfires a thousand klicks away.

It's hard to breathe, and everyone here just has this generalized lethargy and lack of motivation for anything.

The only escape from a home with no AC is to go out. The only escape from bad air quality is to stay in.

fml.

* Well, the heat is into the third week. The smoke is three days in though.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Just realized that the Heatwave thread didn't have much in the way of methods to keep cool, so I guess to start:
1) Obviously, if you can afford the water costs, cold baths / showers every now and then will help. Even if you don't like cold baths normally, you will in hot weather.
1a) If cold showers / baths really aren't your thing, or you have something (like arthritis) which make it a monkey's paw solution, consider just a foot bath instead. It won't chill you as thoroughly, but it's at least something. Also it will make humidity less a concern later, at least.
1b) In theory, if blasting enough cold water (or you have enough ice to spare with putting some in an ice water-filled bath), you can combine this with #2.
2) Speaking of water and cold, if you have a non-oscillating fan, some (rather large) bowls filled with ice set in front of the fan can help. Unless you can crank out ice like something awful it's not an indefinite solution (generally only buying a couple hours of relief at a time), but some relief is better than none. Though if ice isn't a concern (especially if you can keep it going for a while with pre-existing fridge / freezer / cooler space; or have access to a grocery store with ice bags / dry ice), try to set up a circulation in the rooms you most intend to occupy. Even without buckets, large pots, or so-on you can usually rely on at least two rooms in any given abode (Kitchen, Bathroom) to have something you can plug, fill with ice water, and put a fan relatively safely in (most kitchen sinks have counters, and most bathrooms should have somewhere to put a fan that has no risk of tipping into the water).
3) Use strips of fabric (rags, old clothes, whatever) soaked in cold water (potentially even refrigerate or - for quick results - partially freeze for greater chill) and apply as necessary. Usually for something like this you're going to apply it somewhere like around the back of the neck, on the forehead (particularly if lying down), etcetera.
4) Minimize the area within the house in which you're attempting to chill. Generally, even a single bedroom apartment is going to be a tall order to self-AC. If you have rooms that're going to be continuously exposed to sunlight and you don't need to be in them, close them off unless their air flow is absolutely necessary to maintain a current. Alternatively, if you have large chunks that can't be sealed off (and no way to impromptu seal them with things like hung blankets or the like), pick a small area and do what you can to make it as comfortable for you as possible.
5) Higher is usually worse, lower is usually better. Basement floors are much more chill to relax in than first story which is much more chill than second. Again, doesn't apply in many places, but for those it does it can be helpful if not aware of as much (if usually in a rather consistent environment, for example).
6) Laptops, Desktop PCs, certain consoles. Anything that can produce moderate to significant amounts of heat? Try not to use them. I doubt I need to mention oven / stove-top cooking, but a lot of people forget just how much heat one of the above can dump into your home if you aren't paying attention. Or, alternatively, how fast they can heat up if the environment doesn't provide its own cooling for them.

It's not a perfect list, and in general is only really short-term (if your house gets above a certain point, none of the above will especially help: Bite the bullet and go to a family member, friends, or business wherein it is below that point), but they can make things a little less insufferable. This coming from somebody in a top story apartment who has had to deal with 95°F+ days outside with their AC busted.

Khione Frostfang

Moody Leopardess - Approach with caution!
Had to have my oldest cat put to sleep today, and it's fucking killing me! All was fine, until the night on my birthday was when he started to go down hill, but he was fine a few hours before, he was eating, he was purring, just being himself, but around 10PM or so, he started to act strange, so the vet kept him over night and they said for 19, he was in good health, he had a good heart, kidneys and the like, but when we got him home, he was just not himself, at all.

He wouldn't eat or anything, he'd purr, but that was it. So he had to be put down today, and I'm so heart broken, that I wish I could of done SOMETHING, ANYTHING for him! We lost his brother when they were both 8, and Baby was a nervous cat, as he and his brother were badly ill-treated by an asshole, but we adopted them and all was fine, but I believe because Sidney (or Sid we would call him) may of had some fear of water, as he and Baby were tossed into a river in a bag, when they were young, which lead up to kindey issues for Sidney.

By Christmas they would of been 20 this year... I'm so broken inside, I can't stop crying, if I go by my Mom's room I break down, as he was always on her bed, just happy as anything, but looking into her room and seeing Baby no longer there seriously kills me more. Second oldest is 18, current one is about 10-11. baby is my avatar, he was such a beautiful boy, and I miss him so damn badly, I'd rather have a time machine and go back and find ways to help them both... I'm just hurting so fucking bad.

Chomby

Can't always fill the void
People constantly ignore me online. Of course not all the time, and I don't take being acknowledged for granted, but I get ignored so much that I can't help but feel isolated.

This happens to me on instant messaging platforms on an incredibly frequent basis. It depresses the shit out of me. Yeah I know there are valid reasons to not respond to something, but is my luck really this bad? Is there something wrong with me? Am I boring? Why am I ignored 80% of the time?

I even joined a mental health server to vent to someone about this, and my support ticket (made so I can talk to someone specifically) was closed without an explanation.

Ignored again.

And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.

I want to scream.

Chomby

Had to have my oldest cat put to sleep today, and it's fucking killing me! All was fine, until the night on my birthday was when he started to go down hill, but he was fine a few hours before, he was eating, he was purring, just being himself, but around 10PM or so, he started to act strange, so the vet kept him over night and they said for 19, he was in good health, he had a good heart, kidneys and the like, but when we got him home, he was just not himself, at all.

He wouldn't eat or anything, he'd purr, but that was it. So he had to be put down today, and I'm so heart broken, that I wish I could of done SOMETHING, ANYTHING for him! We lost his brother when they were both 8, and Baby was a nervous cat, as he and his brother were badly ill-treated by an asshole, but we adopted them and all was fine, but I believe because Sidney (or Sid we would call him) may of had some fear of water, as he and Baby were tossed into a river in a bag, when they were young, which lead up to kindey issues for Sidney.

By Christmas they would of been 20 this year... I'm so broken inside, I can't stop crying, if I go by my Mom's room I break down, as he was always on her bed, just happy as anything, but looking into her room and seeing Baby no longer there seriously kills me more. Second oldest is 18, current one is about 10-11. baby is my avatar, he was such a beautiful boy, and I miss him so damn badly, I'd rather have a time machine and go back and find ways to help them both... I'm just hurting so fucking bad.
I know what it's like to lose a beloved cat. I'm very sorry.
Cherish the time you had with him.
You made him a very happy boy up to his final day.

Khione Frostfang

It hurts so damn much, like when we were putting him into the carrier, the way he was looking at me even though he was blind, it was like to me, that I felt I had let him down.

Chomby

It hurts so damn much, like when we were putting him into the carrier, the way he was looking at me even though he was blind, it was like to me, that I felt I had let him down.
You didn't let him down.
I think he knew it was his time.

He was old and in pain, and you granted him a painless escape.
You did the right thing.
Don't blame yourself

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
People constantly ignore me online. Of course not all the time, and I don't take being acknowledged for granted, but I get ignored so much that I can't help but feel isolated.

This happens to me on instant messaging platforms on an incredibly frequent basis. It depresses the shit out of me. Yeah I know there are valid reasons to not respond to something, but is my luck really this bad? Is there something wrong with me? Am I boring? Why am I ignored 80% of the time?

I even joined a mental health server to vent to someone about this, and my support ticket (made so I can talk to someone specifically) was closed without an explanation.

Ignored again.

And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.

I want to scream.
To be fair, the quality of the discord server depends on the quality of its owner. So if you have someone (like a minor) trying to run a health server, it's probably not gonna end well. And of course, you wouldn't know that unless they told you. You're not crazy for feeling this way, but try not to overthink it. If you tried to book therapist in person and they didn't show, THEN you need to go and get some answers. XD

I personally don't have anything I feel is newsworthy so I tend to let people come to me if they want something nowadays. I don't watch or play anything that others seem to. Maybe some of the people you talk to are similar?

Most of the people I have encountered online, throughout my whole life, are/were self centered. It had to be about what.they wanted to hear or they just didn't acknowledge you existed. Its sucky, but all we can do is keep looking. :(

Khione Frostfang

My most oldest cat was 22, she was a ginger-tabby, and she lasted until she was 22. She would get called "Ginger Whinger" because it was all she would do, was whinge at everyone.

This humid air is suffocating, it's gross.

quoting_mungo

I’m so sorry. Losing a beloved pet always sucks, and having to make the call to let them go is… one of those things that come with second-guessing yourself, a lot of the time. I certainly did/do about ragdoll’s sister, even though intellectually I know it was the right decision.

You gave him your love and did your best for him. That’s all any pet really asks from their humans.

T

the sleepiest kitty

Stranger: Hi, how are you?
Me:
tenor.gif

LameFox

Ignored again.

And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.

I want to scream.
I do get the sense that most highly visible servers—the ones you're most likely to find—tend to be very impersonal. Maybe it's the high turnover. Seems like you'd have to be there, actively, for ages before you even stand out enough for people to decide how they feel about you.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the population tends to be so young as well, as they've got the time and energy to throw into the void on the off chance something happens. Kinda like my agegroup did with chatrooms and free message boards in the early 2000s.

O

O.D.D.

Just come across a cheeky cunt on Amino trying to pinch the sona of one of my favourite artists (TheRedGhost on the main site)

Reported them to a mod I'm friendly with. The mods there overall don't have the best reputation, but he seems pretty good

Also DMed TRG to make sure she's aware that people are doing this
One of my friends has had their art stolen (and worse) and they wouldn't even really care if it weren't for these people scrubbing their signature from the work in question, but art thieves just have to go that extra mile on the asshole road.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
One of my friends has had their art stolen (and worse) and they wouldn't even really care if it weren't for these people scrubbing their signature from the work in question, but art thieves just have to go that extra mile on the asshole road.
This person actually credited them, but I thought I'd inform the artist out of respect for them. Personally I wouldn't want to set a precedent of apathy towards these things