• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

quoting_mungo

But seriously, people having to "hide" anything that's "too scary" for hellspawns, don't. I played Resident Evil 1 when I was 8, I played Resident Evil 2 when I was 10 and I played Silent Hill when I was 11. Only reason I ended up with issues with Silent Hill 1 is because the NTSC-J nd PAL versions had censorship in place, which played with my broken mind for years.

But, I overcame my fear. If people aren't exposed to what's scary, how the hell can they deal with the real world? I've SEEN two pepole die in front of my very eyes, and even though it really sent my depression further into a black pit, I clawed my way back out. I have some good days, some shit days, but it's made me a stronger person for it. When shit goes wrong, I'm like "meh", because I'm so laid back now, because of the shit I went through and it has made me a stronger person even if I don't feel like it most days, but I'm still here, and alive.
This, frankly, flies totally contrary to the idea that parents need to do more active parenting. If you don't have the time or ability to debrief your kid after they consume age-inappropriate media, you shouldn't be exposing them to that media, whether it's movies, books, or games. Some kids have the ability to cope fine with e.g. violent media younger than others, and if you (gen) know your kid can handle a game intended for an older audience, fine. But encourage parents to know what's in the media they allow their children to consume, and to be ready to talk to their kids about it if it seems to be upsetting the child.

It doesn't mean that it's productive to wrap the world in cotton wool for your kids, but a little bit of care to make sure they're not exposed to more than they're equipped to handle helps them learn to cope with adversity better than just letting them get in above their head.

Expecting others to do your parenting for you, whether it's pressuring Google to sanitize YouTube or bitching about people in assless chaps at Pride because you don't want your kid to see some random leather daddy's buttocks, is absolutely no bueno, though, no argument there.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Venting bc there's some furs on this forum who honestly need to learn consent before even attempting to speak to people.
Smh.

Just had the most uncomfortable interaction ever, and I don't quite know how to deal with it without sounding rude.
I have had my share of instances like/similar to this. Its a nuisance but I'm definitely not afraid to make my boundaries known.
You're not wrong for feeling disgust, especially if this is how they introduced themselves!!!

O

O.D.D.

Said advice is also, unfortunately, sometimes actually the only thing you can do in a situation like this.

Your answer is unfortunately only half right. "Letting them have it" will give you a chance to understand whether they can take a hint in the first place. However, there are plenty of people in this world who can't take a hint no matter how much you spell it out to them. You have to learn when to fold 'em with these people and outright prevent contact.

The real question is when they keep outright circumventing that (such as conning/coercing others into continuing it). That one, I can't give you advice - no seriously, them circumventing a block dips into clear targeted harassment territory and at that point my ideas for stopping the problem would probably run afoul of site rules and actual laws. If you have more faith in anti-bullying organizations or laws than I do, more power to you.
I mean yeah you should block them, if it's something that this person is persisting in it's a definite case of harassment and that can at times merit law enforcement attention

Khione Frostfang

Moody Leopardess - Approach with caution!
This, frankly, flies totally contrary to the idea that parents need to do more active parenting. If you don't have the time or ability to debrief your kid after they consume age-inappropriate media, you shouldn't be exposing them to that media, whether it's movies, books, or games. Some kids have the ability to cope fine with e.g. violent media younger than others, and if you (gen) know your kid can handle a game intended for an older audience, fine. But encourage parents to know what's in the media they allow their children to consume, and to be ready to talk to their kids about it if it seems to be upsetting the child.

It doesn't mean that it's productive to wrap the world in cotton wool for your kids, but a little bit of care to make sure they're not exposed to more than they're equipped to handle helps them learn to cope with adversity better than just letting them get in above their head.

Expecting others to do your parenting for you, whether it's pressuring Google to sanitize YouTube or bitching about people in assless chaps at Pride because you don't want your kid to see some random leather daddy's buttocks, is absolutely no bueno, though, no argument there.

Exactly, I see this shit day after day, and it drives me insane. I hate when these "parents" bitch that nothing is "suitible" for their hellspawn. READ THE FUCKING AGE RATING! Not exactly hard.

Ours are different than our American buddies rating system, but still. If your brat is under 18, DON'T let them play GTA, otherwise WE gamers get flak for it, all because a parent failed to what they were there to do: Parent.

O

O.D.D.

Exactly, I see this shit day after day, and it drives me insane. I hate when these "parents" bitch that nothing is "suitible" for their hellspawn. READ THE FUCKING AGE RATING! Not exactly hard.

Ours are different than our American buddies rating system, but still. If your brat is under 18, DON'T let them play GTA, otherwise WE gamers get flak for it, all because a parent failed to what they were there to do: Parent.
A lot of parents don't have TIME to parent anymore, and we're talking the ones that went into parenthood prepared more or less

That and there's all the other factors these days that parents might not be up to speed on (the internet chiefly). Netnanny stuff is generally a joke to circumvent, kids aren't THAT dumb, and there are terminals/computers/smartphones all over the damn place.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

O.D.D.

Get home, put groceries away, blueberries got partially crushed.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

Guess we're having blueberry banana pancakes for dinner because now they HAVE to be used post-haste.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid

Wasn't it parents who initially WANTED the rating system that they now ignore?

I've seen quite a few kids manipulate their parents into thinking they're mature enough to handle the higher rated games, kind of like kids convincing their parents to let them watch the Deadpool movies because it's "superheroes."

In these cases, it IS the parents' fault for not paying attention. It's not hard to find information about games or movies or the kind of content the include. Any parent who buys their eight year old GTA thinking it's "just driving cars" hasn't been paying attention.

Kinguyakki

Said advice is also, unfortunately, sometimes actually the only thing you can do in a situation like this.

Your answer is unfortunately only half right. "Letting them have it" will give you a chance to understand whether they can take a hint in the first place. However, there are plenty of people in this world who can't take a hint no matter how much you spell it out to them. You have to learn when to fold 'em with these people and outright prevent contact.

The real question is when they keep outright circumventing that (such as conning/coercing others into continuing it). That one, I can't give you advice - no seriously, them circumventing a block dips into clear targeted harassment territory and at that point my ideas for stopping the problem would probably run afoul of site rules and actual laws. If you have more faith in anti-bullying organizations or laws than I do, more power to you.
I'm not saying not to block them.

Yes, block them after chewing them out. Don't be afraid to screenshot their garbage as a warning to others about them, especially if they make up new accounts or find other ways to get around being blocked. Don't be nice to them. They rely on "nice" victims, because those "nice" people won't want to hurt their feelings by being rude.

And, by all means, if they claim "autism" as their reason for their behavior, call them out on that, too. Claiming autism as an excuse for being a vile person is just another form of manipulation.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned

Yes, block them after chewing them out. Don't be afraid to screenshot their garbage as a warning to others about them, especially if they make up new accounts or find other ways to get around being blocked. Don't be nice to them. They rely on "nice" victims, because those "nice" people won't want to hurt their feelings by being rude.

And, by all means, if they claim "autism" as their reason for their behavior, call them out on that, too. Claiming autism as an excuse for being a vile person is just another form of manipulation.

People who use autism as an excuse are assholes. Being autistic doesn't excuse you for being a creep or a jerk. (I know, I had to deal with a "friend" who would be a grade a selfish asshat. We both have autism, but I don't let it define my character.)

O

O.D.D.

Don't bother chewing them out. Screencap, block, report. You gain nothing from engaging with a harasser and possibly are giving them exactly what they want in the first place. If we're talking something less "obviously deliberate" harassment, maybe communicate that what they're doing is unacceptable. If they persist, see first three sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinguyakki

Don't bother chewing them out. Screencap, block, report. You gain nothing from engaging with a harasser and possibly are giving them exactly what they want in the first place. If we're talking something less "obviously deliberate" harassment, maybe communicate that what they're doing is unacceptable. If they persist, see first three sentences.
I was referring more to the guys who initiate a conversation, pretending to be decent, then going right into NSFW stuff or RP without asking the other person.

Don't hold back. Chew them out, and block them. Don't try to argue it out with them or reason with them, but don't be "polite" either.

O

O.D.D.

I was referring more to the guys who initiate a conversation, pretending to be decent, then going right into NSFW stuff or RP without asking the other person.

Don't hold back. Chew them out, and block them. Don't try to argue it out with them or reason with them, but don't be "polite" either.
Alrighty then.

AkatsuriTaro

A Simply Stoned Bunny Babe

Alrighty then.
I have to agree with @Kinguyakki here, because there are certain situations where this happens, and the receiving side is a minor, without anyone realizing. When I was younger, I had come across A LOT of conversations like this, and now that I'm older, whenever I get into these kinds of conversations, and the other person doesn't bother vetting or answering vetting questions, I'll usually point it out, and make it known that they've been reported for such, usually harassment, because it always ends up in some NSFW themed nature, like someone asking for pics.

Warning: Topic involves themes of harassment and predatory behaviour.
I remember a cringe-y moment when I was 12 or 13, I was into the whole MLP thing, and followed a bunch of pages on Facebook related to such, usually OC pages, one in particular took quite a liking to me and decided it was okay to ask for feet pics. Nothing too NSFW, at least that's what I thought. Ended up receiving some other stuff while this dude was a good decade older than me. Some people involved with him found out about what he had done from me telling them, and that was that. His page was taken down, and nobody really heard from him since.

O

O.D.D.

I have to agree with @Kinguyakki here, because there are certain situations where this happens, and the receiving side is a minor, without anyone realizing. When I was younger, I had come across A LOT of conversations like this, and now that I'm older, whenever I get into these kinds of conversations, and the other person doesn't bother vetting or answering vetting questions, I'll usually point it out, and make it known that they've been reported for such, usually harassment, because it always ends up in some NSFW themed nature, like someone asking for pics.

Warning: Topic involves themes of harassment and predatory behaviour.
I remember a cringe-y moment when I was 12 or 13, I was into the whole MLP thing, and followed a bunch of pages on Facebook related to such, usually OC pages, one in particular took quite a liking to me and decided it was okay to ask for feet pics. Nothing too NSFW, at least that's what I thought. Ended up receiving some other stuff while this dude was a good decade older than me. Some people involved with him found out about what he had done from me telling them, and that was that. His page was taken down, and nobody really heard from him since.
As a general rule, it is a horrifically bad idea for a minor to give anyone on the Internet pictures of themselves, but minors don't really always understand the dangers of this (and some seem to not CARE). Anyone who solicits pictures from a minor, regardless how innocuous the picture seems, is unlikely to be doing it for good reasons. Social media can facilitate some really terrible behavior from really terrible people.

AkatsuriTaro

As a general rule, it is a horrifically bad idea for a minor to give anyone on the Internet pictures of themselves, but minors don't really always understand the dangers of this (and some seem to not CARE). Anyone who solicits pictures from a minor, regardless how innocuous the picture seems, is unlikely to be doing it for good reasons. Social media can facilitate some really terrible behavior from really terrible people.
Right, and being as young as I was, I didn't understand a lot of things I had went through, most if which is now causing major PTSD, and is really hard to talk about.
Honestly, the 'net makes me worry for younger generations. I was talking with my cousin the other day about dark web videos and how they were so common on Facebook back in 2009-2011, and she's much older than I am. She's never realized how much we were exposed to growing up, and it's really bizarre to think about a lot of this, especially with all the security protocols in place on a lot of sites now, preventing stuff like this. A major example of this was the Momo videos that was specifically on Youtube Kids.
Things are so wildly different now.

O

O.D.D.

Right, and being as young as I was, I didn't understand a lot of things I had went through, most if which is now causing major PTSD, and is really hard to talk about.
Honestly, the 'net makes me worry for younger generations. I was talking with my cousin the other day about dark web videos and how they were so common on Facebook back in 2009-2011, and she's much older than I am. She's never realized how much we were exposed to growing up, and it's really bizarre to think about a lot of this, especially with all the security protocols in place on a lot of sites now, preventing stuff like this. A major example of this was the Momo videos that was specifically on Youtube Kids.
Things are so wildly different now.
Everyone has catching up to do at this point, and right now it looks more like we're in the position of being the Red Queen. Not sure if or how that will change.

ZalexZTK

I've got so much to get off my chest, especially recently, but I'll be a big boy and not write an essay on a forum post. I guess the best way to summarize it is with this statement: being kind is hard.

I'm not talking about your surface-level kindness. Being polite, saying nice things, having manners. Being nice to people isn't hard to do if you make an effort to. It's getting hurt by other people and having the strength and sincerity to smile, reaching out to people who need help but refuse to take it, yet come back to you looking for advice and more often than not trying to shut it down. Loving the people you don't even realize you hate, or didn't realize you always hated but refused to acknowledge that it was possible because you don't hate anyone and try so hard to be a beacon, an example of what true kindness looks like.

It's not even hard. It's genuinely impossible to be truly so kind you can look through everything against you and have your heart shine bright.

I spent the majority of my childhood living with my father and his wife with less than stellar parenting to put it lightly. For years along with that, I loved someone, and even though it was a toxic relationship, I grew dependent on them as someone I could talk to and as a goal to work towards in what was a grim outlook on my life. It took moving out of that house and ending my relationship to magically come out with a strong sense of optimism, the ability to come out of my introverted shell and learn to communicate, and want to be kind, and I'm extremely grateful for that.

I can't help but ask myself why I do not hate my father, why I do not hate his wife. Years of living in a place I didn't feel safe, subject to commentary that was not appropriate for my situation, losing my connections with people on a whim. I was severely depressed. Is it because through all of that I came out kind? Or is it because through all of that I came out numb? I'd bet on the latter. Yet the person I had loved for so long had hurt me, spreading lies and rumors to people I knew, to people I thought I knew, and to people I may never know. That is the one person I hate. So I ask myself, "Why do I hate them for shattering my trust but not my father and his wife for leaving me with anxiety and ptsd? What am I?"

Maybe it's because they're family compared to someone I never really knew. Maybe I was numb then and I've gained back some of my senses now. The point, though, is that no matter how hard I try, I can't find it in my heart to forgive them. Every time I look at them, think of them, I wonder what I've done that they could say to other people to get them to hate me. Everything I do, no matter how subtle, is subject to their voiced opinion that I'll never know, and that is a double-edged sword. That's when it hit me. I don't hate my father because even though that living situation was crappy, it wasn't his want or intention to harm me. He loves me unconditionally. The person I dated for years revealed that they didn't love me.

Kindness is built on love. If there is no love in what you do, you don't have true kindness. How do you love someone who intentionally hurts you? You don't. Not a single person can come in here and say they truly love and forgive someone who has hurt them without the passage of time patching up a portion of the damage left behind. In a complicated world filled with hate for the things we can't control, like our identity and the color of our skin, down to the smallest thing like a differing opinion on a video game, there is no chance we can say we truly embody the concept of love.

The morale of the story is that even though it is very difficult to be kind to other people, we should never stop trying. We can't complain that the world is a rotten place while we take part in making it that way. That's a hypocritical hit to the health bar, and we only have one life. Thanks for coming to this mess of pent up negative feelings that I shat onto this thread and called a TED talk.

Khione Frostfang

Wasn't it parents who initially WANTED the rating system that they now ignore?

I've seen quite a few kids manipulate their parents into thinking they're mature enough to handle the higher rated games, kind of like kids convincing their parents to let them watch the Deadpool movies because it's "superheroes."

In these cases, it IS the parents' fault for not paying attention. It's not hard to find information about games or movies or the kind of content the include. Any parent who buys their eight year old GTA thinking it's "just driving cars" hasn't been paying attention.

Exactly, my point. Like, before when I had Gold Membershop with my Xbox, (I'd use the cards they came with certain games) and I shit you lot not, I was playing L4D2 as the Infected and because I did a little better than they did, they vote kicked me. Seriously, fucking kids should NOT be online, period. Because we don't want fucking 8-12 year olds trash talking then get their asses handed to them, then they go cry to Mommy. Fuck off, seriously.

I would always laugh at the Minecraft trolling videos, because they were a message to stop letting your hellspawns online to harass adult players, plus there's fucking perverts online too, so do the right thing: keep your hellspawn OFF Xbox Live and PlayStation Network until they are 18. Not rocket science, people.

AkatsuriTaro

Exactly, my point. Like, before when I had Gold Membershop with my Xbox, (I'd use the cards they came with certain games) and I shit you lot not, I was playing L4D2 as the Infected and because I did a little better than they did, they vote kicked me. Seriously, fucking kids should NOT be online, period. Because we don't want fucking 8-12 year olds trash talking then get their asses handed to them, then they go cry to Mommy. Fuck off, seriously.

I would always laugh at the Minecraft trolling videos, because they were a message to stop letting your hellspawns online to harass adult players, plus there's fucking perverts online too, so do the right thing: keep your hellspawn OFF Xbox Live and PlayStation Network until they are 18. Not rocket science, people.
Just make the internet 2.0, "Kindernet"
boom
problem solved. No more demon children on our 'net.

Khione Frostfang

Hahahaha! Sounds like a good idea.

Fucking RE7 has a prick with a fucking instant death attack, like are you shitting me? Not only does the FPS suck, but the room is small, and the controls are clunky at best.

I'll stick with RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake. KISS MY SILVER, BLACK-SPOTTED ASS, CAPCOM!

O

O.D.D.

Just make the internet 2.0, "Kindernet"
boom
problem solved. No more demon children on our 'net.
That actually wouldn't be a terrible idea on paper but it doesn't necessarily preclude minors accessing the greater internet and potentially being exposed to things they may not be ready for. There's also the issue of how you keep people who have no business interacting with minors out of this "Kindernet", because if a predatory person knows there's an entire subdivision of the internet full of the people they prefer to prey upon they may well do their utmost to get into it (and may even seek a position of oversight on it in the first place). It's an incredibly prickly problem because minors are not always capable of grasping the danger involved with anything (teenagers can be notorious for their feelings of infallibility and invincibility), and what looks to many like the best way to handle it (educating kids about the dangers and encouraging them to be proactive about protecting themselves from bad people) is itself contingent on them following through in full. This can be further compounded by kids who may not have the happiest home life for any number of reasons (LGBTQ kids who live in households where they are at odds with parents on those grounds for whatever reason seeking communities of other members of that group and getting ensnared by people who exploit vulnerable and marginalized children with promises of acceptance).

AkatsuriTaro

That actually wouldn't be a terrible idea on paper but it doesn't necessarily preclude minors accessing the greater internet and potentially being exposed to things they may not be ready for. There's also the issue of how you keep people who have no business interacting with minors out of this "Kindernet", because if a predatory person knows there's an entire subdivision of the internet full of the people they prefer to prey upon they may well do their utmost to get into it (and may even seek a position of oversight on it in the first place). It's an incredibly prickly problem because minors are not always capable of grasping the danger involved with anything (teenagers can be notorious for their feelings of infallibility and invincibility), and what looks to many like the best way to handle it (educating kids about the dangers and encouraging them to be proactive about protecting themselves from bad people) is itself contingent on them following through in full. This can be further compounded by kids who may not have the happiest home life for any number of reasons (LGBTQ kids who live in households where they are at odds with parents on those grounds for whatever reason seeking communities of other members of that group and getting ensnared by people who exploit vulnerable and marginalized children with promises of acceptance).
That's where extra precautions would come in. It would be no different than a government program, so like if you log into the IRS website, it'll track everything you do WHILE you're logged into said website (Obviously, that's how they track people.)
So, essentially, you would take that very aspect and pretty much do the same thing with the "Kindernet" portion.

So like, kind of how we get assigned a social security number in the US, I can see this being used as a login for said thing, which would further enforce a few laws and rules; inability to use SSNs that don't belong to the person, logging everything that ssn does/post.

It'd be no different than using an IP address, but that's a lot harder to gain control over considering VPNs are more prominent now, and offered wherever you can get it.
I'd like to think about all the ways we could implement safety features that won't harm the recipients, because we really do need a better grasp of the 'net.
A lot of this also precludes to laws that prevent these kinds of things See; Free speech, etc.
In a lot of countries, this is a very prominent issue because of exactly what I've stated. There is obviously no general ruling when it comes to what happens on the internet, and there's really no way to contain and erase a lot of the bad stuff, or even prevent littles* from stumbling upon it.
*Used loosely, also means people who easily trigger over certain things.

So, yeah, it'd be a great idea, but it'll NEVER happen, as far as our futures go. Just gotta create those communities within, and vet every interested person.

Khione Frostfang

To be honest, they really do need to abolish this whole "IVF" thing, because in my view, it's NOT an medical emergency, if this shit was stopped, and money was poured into medicine, science and research, we'd be able to cure more diseases, like certain types of cancer are still high mortality rate. Take the 1980s for a start, when the HIV/AIDS came about, back then it was a death sentence, now it's more manageable through research and medical science.

Hell, without medicine and research, Smallpox would still be about. Without research and science, there won't be a damn cure for most things.

Can't have a crotch goblin? ADOPT THEN! Stop flooding the planet with more money-wasting little shits, and focus on what's actually important:

Medicine, research and science.

AkatsuriTaro

To be honest, they really do need to abolish this whole "IVF" thing, because in my view, it's NOT an medical emergency, if this shit was stopped, and money was poured into medicine, science and research, we'd be able to cure more diseases, like certain types of cancer are still high mortality rate. Take the 1980s for a start, when the HIV/AIDS came about, back then it was a death sentence, now it's more manageable through research and medical science.

Hell, without medicine and research, Smallpox would still be about. Without research and science, there won't be a damn cure for most things.

Can't have a crotch goblin? ADOPT THEN! Stop flooding the planet with more money-wasting little shits, and focus on what's actually important:

Medicine, research and science.
I actually have to disagree with this! Adoption is an extremely hard and tedious process, and more than half the time, the adoptee will back out of the adoption process. This has happened in my own family; Cousin and his woman were suppose to adopt their newborn out to their friend who struggled for years to have a child, and when everything was said and done, things bought, rooms painted, every little thing, my cousins girl decided to back out of the situation, and well, nobody has had contact with her since; This also resulted in their friend's relationship failing, because all it caused was major arguments between everyone.

Also, as someone who cannot have kids, IVF is my only viable option. My body refuses to produce offspring, and I've been having unprotected loves for the past 5 years. Every, single, month, I check for pregnancy, and it's a no go. For me to even be able to physically have kids, I have to take birth control which prevents said pregnancy, but also provides me with the hormones my body refuses to produce.

IVF can sometimes lead into the discovery of other curable and non-curable diseases in the body, so I wouldn't be even partially against it.

Chicago Med actually speaks a lot on this, and about 85% (The highest rating in the film industry) of the medical advice given is actually accurate; it also gives incredible stories related to the pain and suffering a lot of women feel when they go through stuff like this.