• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

TheCynicalViet

I don't name drop nor do I feel any actual ill will towards this person but I just need to get this out of my system cause this is one of those things that I can't forget. Also this is pretty long so bear with me.

>Be me
>Currently making a furry comic
>2 months ago, I open Furrafinity.net
>See new note
>Someone sends me a note saying they'd love to make a fanfiction of my comic
>I say "Of course! Thank you!"
>Talk about some other stuff for a bit
>He says that he needs to work on it now and that we'll talk again when it's finished
>Jump to a few weeks ago
>He says he's finished
>I'm excited
>We talk for a bit then he links me the Google Doc
>I open the Google Doc
>It's several pages long
>I read it
>It features my characters crossing over with his characters
>One of his characters is named after him
>His characters then proceed to kill all my characters except for my main character and his girlfriend
>The character he named after himself proceeds to sexually assault my main character's girlfriend while my main character watches while restrained
>I stop reading
>I close the Google Doc
>I message him back "Wow, I loved it! Thank you!"
>Fast forward to yesderday
>I talk to him again
>We're having fun shooting the shit
>He brings up that fanfiction again
>I keep trying to change the subject by saying I liked it
>Keeps asking what I liked about it
>"I like that you did not make any spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors"
>Asks me if there were parts that I didn't like and that I need to be honest
>Fine, I'll be honest
>Tell him that I felt really uncomfortable with how he treated my characters
>Tell that him that I was extremely unhappy that he did not tell me that that was what he was gonna do to my characters back when we first talked
>Tell him that other artists will not be as calm as I am if he pulls this stunt again
>Shit just hit the fan
>He starts going off
>Accuses me of kink-shaming him
>Says that it's 2021 and that he should be free to express himself
>Says that there's nothing harmful about his fetishes as long as it's not irl
>Says that I'm like other artists who are too protective of their characters
>Says that I need to relax and let others express their sexuality
>Tell him that he's free to express his kinks however he wants but that he needs to use his own characters instead
>Remind him that I don't have a problem with his fetish
>My problem was that he never told me his fetish was gonna involve...that
>Tell him that any other artist would have a problem with what he did
>Blocks me

Was I in the wrong here? How else was I supposed to respond?

Last edited:

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I don't name drop nor do I feel any actual ill words to this person but I just need to get this out of my system cause this is one of those things that I can't forget. Also this is pretty long so bear with me.

>Be me
>See new note
>He says that he needs to work on it now and that we'll talk again when it's finished
>Jump to a few weeks ago
>He says he's finished
>I'm excited
>I open the Google Doc
>It's several pages long
>I read it
>His characters then proceed to kill all my characters except for my main character and his girlfriend
>The character he named after himself proceeds to sexually assault my main character's girlfriend while my main character watches while restrained
>I stop reading
>I close the Google Doc
>I talk to him again
>Fine, I'll be honest
>Tell that him that I was extremely unhappy that he did not tell me that that was what he was gonna do to my characters back when we first talked
>Tell him that other artists will not be as calm as I am if he pulls this stunt again
>Shit just hit the fan
>He starts going off
>Tell him that he's free to express his kinks however he wants but that he needs to use his own characters instead
>Blocks me

You shoulda started by asking what he planned to do with your OCs! XD

Writing a fanfic could be anything!

TheCynicalViet

You shoulda started by asking what he planned to do with your OCs! XD

Writing a fanfic could be anything!
You know, you're right, I should've asked but hindsight is 20/20. I expected something but I could never have guessed that it was gonna be something like that.

But was I wrong though? I told him to disclose his fetish for his own sake. What if someone else decides to blacklist him from a community over this? Or sic their followers on him? People take their OC's seriously. And they can respond seriously in turn.

TyraWadman

You know, you're right, I should've asked but hindsight is 20/20. I expected something but I could never have guessed that it was gonna be something like that.

But was I wrong though? I told him to disclose his fetish for his own sake. What if someone else decides to blacklist him from a community over this? Or sic their followers on him? People take their OC's seriously. And they can respond seriously in turn.

I would rather have someone be honest and upfront about it but for something like this, he probably wouldn't want to because he KNOWS it's going to upset people. I do think it would help him find people who share the same interest easier, and he could probably find other OC's to write about this way, but yea... that's... ugh...

Maybe set some terms next time? XD
Like 'if you can do the characters justice' or 'keep things canon/things that they would actually say/do'?

quoting_mungo

I don't name drop nor do I feel any actual ill will towards this person but I just need to get this out of my system cause this is one of those things that I can't forget. Also this is pretty long so bear with me.

>Be me
>See new note
>Jump to a few weeks ago
>He says he's finished
>I'm excited
>I open the Google Doc
>It's several pages long
>I read it
>I stop reading
>I close the Google Doc
>I talk to him again
>Fine, I'll be honest
>Shit just hit the fan
>He starts going off
>Blocks me

Not having seen the fic or the actual messages, I could be widely off-base, but based on your summary, I highly suspect the “kink shame” card was played at least in part in an attempt to get you to back down. I can buy that someone has a kink for “rape in front of helpless partner,” but that they just so happen to also get off on killing the rest of the characters, especially if they only kill your characters? Nah.

If there’s a kink there, it’s far more likely to be one that depends on your reaction. That would also explain why he kept bugging you until you told him he’d overstepped. It all comes off as his actual kink being non-consensually exposing you to shocking/hard kink content. Because that’s another boundary he violated. He sent you a link to a story containing rape and murder, which he claimed were all “his fetishes” when confronted (if it’s his kink, and was written with an eye towards satisfying that kink, the murder is also sexual content in this context), with the express intent of having you read it. Without any content warnings or express consent from you.

(I’m not by any means trying to suggest that you “need” to feel violated by his actions, just that “don’t shove rape fic in someone’s face, especially not without warning” is a pretty obvious, reasonable, and common-sense social boundary. When someone violates that, and double down on defending their actions when called on it, there’s very little room left for assuming good faith.)

I could be wrong, but quite honestly? I have never encountered anyone with a hard kink like rape or snuff who would for a moment expect “sure, cool, write me a fanfic!” to constitute permission to use someone else’s characters in those kinks; at the very most I could maybe see a fic where the writer’s OC/self-insert is victimized by the villain of the original work. (This obviously applies less to major commercial franchises, but I don’t see anyone sidling up to Nintendo to be like “hey, is it cool if I write a Super Mario fanfic?” so that point is kinda moot.)

Basically, you were more than justified and the only thing you arguably did wrong was initially telling him you liked it. Which… isn’t exactly a big thing in proportion to his overstepping.

Like… I have some pretty damn gruesome stuff posted on my hard-kink-and-gore-and-stuff side account. I’m what my husband has termed “pathologically nice.” If someone pulled that on me, especially with a self-insert character, they would at absolute best get a lecture on proper manners when asking permission to use others’ characters and when sharing hard kink material with others.

So many red flags. Much nope.

ConorHyena

road warrior

>Be me
>See new note
>Jump to a few weeks ago
>He says he's finished
>I'm excited
>I open the Google Doc
>It's several pages long
>I read it
>I stop reading
>I close the Google Doc
>I talk to him again
>Fine, I'll be honest
>Shit just hit the fan
>He starts going off
>Blocks me

You weren't in the wrong, and your not the first/only person this has happened to. It sucks, especially if the fanfiction creator is blatantly misrepresenting a character one has spent a long time on getting coherent and functional for his own erotic gains.

Mungo has pretty much said all there is to say, so I won't rehash on that, It's the unfortunate disadvantage of putting your content and characters especially in story form out there on the internet. People will ship characters and create fanfiction of sometimes debatable quality with or without your consent unfortunately. It's the nature of derivative work etc.

(Mind you, I'm not judging on people doing it on principle. In this case, as Mungo said, boundaries are a thing and they were blatantly overstepped)

Fcomega121

Friendly Maned fox+Phoenix
Maybe you're either under stress, or may have a phase with insomnia? I get phases of insomnia at random, as I've had it since childhood. Or maybe it's either the weather. Hope you sleep better soon, Mungo.
I have insomnia phases too

I'm prone to insomnia since I was 8 or 9 ;w;

I'm here writting at 1:32 btw

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
I have insomnia phases too

I'm prone to insomnia since I was 8 or 9 ;w;

I'm here writting at 1:32 btw
Awww. That sucks, love.
image3-1.png

Fcomega121

Not having seen the fic or the actual messages, I could be widely off-base, but based on your summary, I highly suspect the “kink shame” card was played at least in part in an attempt to get you to back down. I can buy that someone has a kink for “rape in front of helpless partner,” but that they just so happen to also get off on killing the rest of the characters, especially if they only kill your characters? Nah.

If there’s a kink there, it’s far more likely to be one that depends on your reaction. That would also explain why he kept bugging you until you told him he’d overstepped. It all comes off as his actual kink being non-consensually exposing you to shocking/hard kink content. Because that’s another boundary he violated. He sent you a link to a story containing rape and murder, which he claimed were all “his fetishes” when confronted (if it’s his kink, and was written with an eye towards satisfying that kink, the murder is also sexual content in this context), with the express intent of having you read it. Without any content warnings or express consent from you.

(I’m not by any means trying to suggest that you “need” to feel violated by his actions, just that “don’t shove rape fic in someone’s face, especially not without warning” is a pretty obvious, reasonable, and common-sense social boundary. When someone violates that, and double down on defending their actions when called on it, there’s very little room left for assuming good faith.)

I could be wrong, but quite honestly? I have never encountered anyone with a hard kink like rape or snuff who would for a moment expect “sure, cool, write me a fanfic!” to constitute permission to use someone else’s characters in those kinks; at the very most I could maybe see a fic where the writer’s OC/self-insert is victimized by the villain of the original work. (This obviously applies less to major commercial franchises, but I don’t see anyone sidling up to Nintendo to be like “hey, is it cool if I write a Super Mario fanfic?” so that point is kinda moot.)

Basically, you were more than justified and the only thing you arguably did wrong was initially telling him you liked it. Which… isn’t exactly a big thing in proportion to his overstepping.

Like… I have some pretty damn gruesome stuff posted on my hard-kink-and-gore-and-stuff side account. I’m what my husband has termed “pathologically nice.” If someone pulled that on me, especially with a self-insert character, they would at absolute best get a lecture on proper manners when asking permission to use others’ characters and when sharing hard kink material with others.

So many red flags. Much nope.
You weren't in the wrong, and your not the first/only person this has happened to. It sucks, especially if the fanfiction creator is blatantly misrepresenting a character one has spent a long time on getting coherent and functional for his own erotic gains.

Mungo has pretty much said all there is to say, so I won't rehash on that, It's the unfortunate disadvantage of putting your content and characters especially in story form out there on the internet. People will ship characters and create fanfiction of sometimes debatable quality with or without your consent unfortunately. It's the nature of derivative work etc.

(Mind you, I'm not judging on people doing it on principle. In this case, as Mungo said, boundaries are a thing and they were blatantly overstepped)
I'm with what connor and mungo did say @TheCynicalViet
That person broke your boundaries and misrespected you, you were on your right! I would be mad at that person tbh

If this had happened to me I probably would have given his name out around as a warning for other persons (who might not like that either)

I feel repulsion towards that person honestly, doing that without consent. He reminds me of another person who posted gore things on a game thread... @ Doppeldoggo.... *Cough cough*

I would recommend you putting a warning on your profile specifying what you will not tolerate for your characters or which things you aren't fond of. so people can see it easily and think it twice before asking.

Fcomega121

quoting_mungo

If this had happened to me I probably would have given his name out around as a warning for other persons (who might not like that either)
I’ll note that giving their name publicly on FA would actually violate FA’s harassment policies. I understand the impulse to do so, but it’s not something that’s actually productive in most cases, anyway. If someone you know mentions being contacted by them for fanfic, by all means go ahead and give them a heads up in private.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
Someone left the bathroom window open and the stupid fucking cat escaped again.

I found him in the front garden but only after going crazy and screaming his name out in the street. Now everyone thinks I'm insane. (I *am* insane, but you know what I mean.)

Blue hissed and ripped open my hand when I tried to pick him up. Maybe my screaming freaked him out. I got him back indoors and he seems okay. He is eating his dinner.

Fcomega121

I’ll note that giving their name publicly on FA would actually violate FA’s harassment policies. I understand the impulse to do so, but it’s not something that’s actually productive in most cases, anyway. If someone you know mentions being contacted by them for fanfic, by all means go ahead and give them a heads up in private.
I understand that..
I tend to want to expose often

I don't know their name in this case. but if this happens to me ever I will most likely tell all my friends about :3

TyraWadman

Someone left the bathroom window open and the stupid fucking cat escaped again.

I found him in the front garden but only after going crazy and screaming his name out in the street. Now everyone thinks I'm insane. (I *am* insane, but you know what I mean.)

Blue hissed and ripped open my hand when I tried to pick him up. Maybe my screaming freaked him out. I got him back indoors and he seems okay. He is eating his dinner.
Maybe he's gotten a taste of freedom and wants to roam! Stinky little rebel!

I'm glad you found him though. Hope you heal up quickly too! :(

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid

>Be me
>See new note
>Jump to a few weeks ago
>He says he's finished
>I'm excited
>I open the Google Doc
>It's several pages long
>I read it
>I stop reading
>I close the Google Doc
>I talk to him again
>Fine, I'll be honest
>Shit just hit the fan
>He starts going off
>Blocks me

I would take it as a learning experience for you when it comes to allowing use of your characters. First of all, if someone asks, you have every right to know what they plan to do with your characters in the story. If you have any limits for your characters, anything you don't want them to be involved in, you are perfectly entitled to tell the person that you do not consent to them using your characters in that way.

If you still agree to let them use your characters and they do things to your characters that go against what you allow - TELL THEM. Tell them you don't like it, tell them that they did not have permission to do those things to your characters.

Most of the time, people like that aren't going to apologize, because they already got what they want. And they will try to gaslight you, say that you're trying to control their "freedom of expression." People like that are assholes.

O

O.D.D.

Explain to me how "I just fantasize about noncon and murder for sexual gratification" shouldn't land someone on everyone else's blacklist again

How does that fall into the same realm as foot fetishes or handcuffs re: "kinkshaming"? I cannot wrap my head around the idea of someone who fantasizes about doing some of the most horrible things imaginable being someone I'd really like to engage with in any fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regret

Insert Witticism Here
You know I understand biking if you want to exercise, help the environment, or just enjoy doing it, that's all well and good. Though, if you and your buddies ride three wide on a major city artery during rush hour, believing that stoplights are merely suggestions, all the while ignoring the open bike path to your right, then you're just an asshole creating dangerous situations.

Beepsi

So, I am stuck in a rut, don't know what to do in my 20s, unsure on how to expand social horizons, shotty wellbeing, and I have no job.

I don't know what type of careers I will be in; a game designer, a shrink, an anthropologist, a writer? Only thing that keeps me occupied are hobbies atm.

While I do have a good set of lads to be with, I don't know how to find new ones. I somewhat know the process, acquaintance to friend, but don't know where to find it. Having relationships, BF or GF, is alien to me, as I don't know and don't have one. I would rather work myself first and then (maybe) go.

My wellbeing is just inconsistent. I am just "ok," yet I just go "numb" or "meh" and will eventually proceed to explode emotional sorrow like a nuclear bomb. I don't know, it is just some devil that breathes on my neck and will come at some random day or night to stab at thee, me. Mental help for that is kind of a windows vista struggling to load in a webpage, always stuck in a loop. I don't know if I made progress to solve whatever bs riddle in my cranium or I just walk back to the beginning of that hallway in P.T.

I'm struggling to get a job, but I'm completely inexperience; only thing that would come close as "experience" would be yard work and doing college paperwork. I could tell, as I sent a resume and no phone call back and even if I did got to the interview part (,which only happened ONCE,) I would not got the heads up of success, work. Naturally, I searched what places to gain said experience in order to get an actual job or something going, volunteering.

"Ah, yes, I haven't done that in a LONG time!" I thought to myself, "Maybe I'll meet new people while I am finding experience to work with. Hope the bike ride will make this trip worth it, rig-"

It was a complete disaster and a waste of time.

I was exhausted like a frog in the Sahara desert when I got to the volunteer site. I felt I was about to vomit but confidence reassured me as I met the manager in charge of the volunteer. As I apologized for being a bit late, the manager asked me if I brought pants with me. I replied a no in utter confusion. Apparently, no pants is no work, safety hazard. I didn't know; typical clueless me did not read ALL the info about this volunteer job, the what is "needed." Even if I had THE PANTS, steel toed boots or something like that is required; WTF, IS THIS VOLUNTEER JOB FOR NEWBIES (, as it states so on the info's title,) OR FOR COMPLETE VETRANS? Frustrated, I left.

Honest to God, I kind of give up at this job searching fiasco, especially since literally one attempt at volunteering just went south.

Alas, the end of this petty vent. I guess this is more so of a vain attempt toss this devil into void, yet I have a journal to write this garbage.

Eh, whatever.

O

O.D.D.

The fatigue is strong this morning. Waiting for the caffeine and nicotine to do their jobs, because I'm going to have a hell of a time working when I feel like I'm wearing lead weights everywhere.

TyraWadman

So, I am stuck in a rut, don't know what to do in my 20s, unsure on how to expand social horizons, shotty wellbeing, and I have no job.

I don't know what type of careers I will be in; a game designer, a shrink, an anthropologist, a writer? Only thing that keeps me occupied are hobbies atm.

While I do have a good set of lads to be with, I don't know how to find new ones. I somewhat know the process, acquaintance to friend, but don't know where to find it. Having relationships, BF or GF, is alien to me, as I don't know and don't have one. I would rather work myself first and then (maybe) go.

My wellbeing is just inconsistent. I am just "ok," yet I just go "numb" or "meh" and will eventually proceed to explode emotional sorrow like a nuclear bomb. I don't know, it is just some devil that breathes on my neck and will come at some random day or night to stab at thee, me. Mental help for that is kind of a windows vista struggling to load in a webpage, always stuck in a loop. I don't know if I made progress to solve whatever bs riddle in my cranium or I just walk back to the beginning of that hallway in P.T.

I'm struggling to get a job, but I'm completely inexperience; only thing that would come close as "experience" would be yard work and doing college paperwork. I could tell, as I sent a resume and no phone call back and even if I did got to the interview part (,which only happened ONCE,) I would not got the heads up of success, work. Naturally, I searched what places to gain said experience in order to get an actual job or something going, volunteering.

"Ah, yes, I haven't done that in a LONG time!" I thought to myself, "Maybe I'll meet new people while I am finding experience to work with. Hope the bike ride will make this trip worth it, rig-"

It was a complete disaster and a waste of time.

I was exhausted like a frog in the Sahara desert when I got to the volunteer site. I felt I was about to vomit but confidence reassured me as I met the manager in charge of the volunteer. As I apologized for being a bit late, the manager asked me if I brought pants with me. I replied a no in utter confusion. Apparently, no pants is no work, safety hazard. I didn't know; typical clueless me did not read ALL the info about this volunteer job, the what is "needed." Even if I had THE PANTS, steel toed boots or something like that is required; WTF, IS THIS VOLUNTEER JOB FOR NEWBIES (, as it states so on the info's title,) OR FOR COMPLETE VETRANS? Frustrated, I left.

Honest to God, I kind of give up at this job searching fiasco, especially since literally one attempt at volunteering just went south.

Alas, the end of this petty vent. I guess this is more so of a vain attempt toss this devil into void, yet I have a journal to write this garbage.

Eh, whatever.

If you don't know what to do yet, then now is the time to explore. Don't feel pressured into college or university if you're feeling this much doubt.

Look up free workshops for youth in your area. Art therapy. Volunteering that doesn't require equipment, like animal shelters or soup kitchens.

Search up job help groups or peers with work experience for feedback on your resume and do pretend interviews. I know what it's like to be naive and not have help. It is hard so find help where you can. The world is stupidly complicated because they will ask what your hobbies and interests are, but then tell me to answer with just the ones that pertain to the actual job. I don't understand why people can't just tell me that the first time. But small, stupid things like that are everywhere and I'd be more than happy to take a peek at your resume if you are ever comfortable sharing it. I've been through enough courses to pretty much have it all memorized, but be aware, it does require work/time/dedication to get through this annoying process.

ben909

vaporeon
why must my room be 3 degrees hotter the all other rooms all the tine