• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Tennet_G

Cup O' Depresso
I keep typing paragraphs just to realize I'm repeating the same things again. Am I getting worse? I keep wanting answers to my questions but none of the answers given ever seem to work and it frustrates me to no end. Therapist, vent thread, friends. They all give me similar answers but I can't seem to find any relief in those answers. They seem to irritate me more. But it's better than leaving it alone. Doing that makes it even worse and I end up doing something stupid.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I keep typing paragraphs just to realize I'm repeating the same things again. Am I getting worse? I keep wanting answers to my questions but none of the answers given ever seem to work and it frustrates me to no end. Therapist, vent thread, friends. They all give me similar answers but I can't seem to find any relief in those answers. They seem to irritate me more. But it's better than leaving it alone. Doing that makes it even worse and I end up doing something stupid.
Assuming I'm on the same page, those technically aren't answers. They're just ways to cope until you can find it!

What exactly do you hope to achieve in life? (Doesn't have to be work related or involve becoming famous. Could even be a bucket list!)

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
I just started taking Vyvanse, and I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not but I feel like I've been a lot more down, irritable, as well as started staying up late recently. I wish to see if this will continue go on, if not get worse. I hope it's not related to the meds because I need them to concentrate with my studies.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
It seems to me that a lot of climate activists are just in it to hawk identitarian talking points and don't actually give a shit about the biosphere at large. This is evidenced by the vitriol against animal rights activists, vegans, and atheists pointing out the link between creation myths and our treatment of other lifeforms. When they *do* talk about other species, it's almost always in terms of their utility to some human group or another, rarely as entities with their own welfare to consider.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
It seems to me that a lot of climate activists are just in it to hawk identitarian talking points and don't actually give a shit about the biosphere at large. This is evidenced by the vitriol against animal rights activists, vegans, and atheists pointing out the link between creation myths and our treatment of other lifeforms. When they *do* talk about other species, it's almost always in terms of their utility to some human group or another, rarely as entities with their own welfare to consider.
Ties between conservation and religion have been something I've just started to learn about. It's pretty interesting.

I've read mostly about Lemurs and native Malagasy folklore

Apparently the Indri Lemurs (Big boyes, scream a lot) are seen as the ancestors of humans and were considered sacred, meaning they were safe until French Missionaries made people Catholic.

On the other hand though, the Ayeaye (Gremlin boyes, have skeleton hands) was considered an avatar of Death. They're still killed on sight fairly often but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've been targeted less in the last century or so.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Being entirely honest: If somebody's first response to somebody concerned about climate destruction and / or change[1] is to pry as to their opinions on vegans and atheists to determine if they really care about the environment, they may want to look in the mirror. Because I definitely get vibes about faux concern but it ain't coming from the one being questioned.

Animal rights are at least moderately related (specifically since they tend to eventually delve into exploitation practices, discussion of invasive / transplanted species and whatnot, et al), but (militant) veganism is a mess in and of itself (particularly with how it tends to get fucky with sociological outlier demographics like the Inuit who are heavily reliant on certain hunting practices / products, or places that cannot feasibly sustain or ship the necessary crops to shift to an exclusively vegan lifestyle). Likewise the focus on atheists versus people who examine theology in general (since there's no shortage of christian, jewish, muslim, hindu, et al who can and will rip into creation myths just as readily as atheist peers) makes me think there's a very different grudge.

For full disclosure I included (militant) in the above as nine times out of ten when vegan inevitably comes up in these sort of discussions isn't in relation to "I personally abstain from animal product and animal byproduct foods / goods for personal / moral reasons" sorts that're being dragged but the "Gets fucky with sociological outlier demographics and has even more fucky 'solutions' to logistics problems" type. I can't speak for other people's experiences, but just talking from my own I've never seen the former get any flak... but have had the pleasure of dealing with "Actually sometimes hundreds of millions starving to death is good :) And who cares if indigenous groups are eradicated / forcibly expelled from their homelands :)" sorts.

[1] Two tangentially related but also fairly different subject matters.

JacobFloofWoof

Metal Misanthrope
The last few nights have been really bad. Before trying to get a night sleep, I lay on my bed just feeling this nothingness, as if I'm completely alone, like this quiet void engulfs my mind and the air around me, or even some kind of sensation of impending doom, and this feeling as if I am somehow left behind, as the world, that I don't really feel apart of, is changing negativity around me, and that I'm not strong enough to handle or accept these changes, and I'd just keep wishing that I was never born, or feel as if I was born in the wrong generation that doesn't fit the person I am, or how I wanted to live to see and experience the world. I know there are things around me, that are completely out of my control (not like I ever had an actual grip on my life or the stuff happening around me in the first place), which affect my well-being, my past, present and future, and my surroundings, and I think it is why, or the primary reason I have been feeling the way I do.

quoting_mungo

Be great if my dumb hand could do more than 30-40 minutes of intense actiony gaming at a stretch. Tried playing Risk of Rain 2 with husband and boyfriend last night and by the end of our run my left hand was killing me from how hard I end up pressing the WASD etc keys.

For full disclosure I included (militant) in the above as nine times out of ten when vegan inevitably comes up in these sort of discussions isn't in relation to "I personally abstain from animal product and animal byproduct foods / goods for personal / moral reasons" sorts that're being dragged but the "Gets fucky with sociological outlier demographics and has even more fucky 'solutions' to logistics problems" type. I can't speak for other people's experiences, but just talking from my own I've never seen the former get any flak... but have had the pleasure of dealing with "Actually sometimes hundreds of millions starving to death is good :) And who cares if indigenous groups are eradicated / forcibly expelled from their homelands :)" sorts.
I’d personally also include excessively preachy/pushy ideological vegans and vegetarians. If your approach is “vegan/strict vegetarian or bust” you’re not only going to be ineffective, you’re also potentially contributing to the malnutrition of any people you do convert. Being vegan without lots of research and probably supplements is hard. (Also people who try to put their cats on vegan diets should try to sustain themselves exclusively on lettuce. Don’t talk to me about animal cruelty, you monsters!)

Less meat is less meat/less environmental impact. More humanely sourced meat is less exploitation. Less is an improvement any way you slice it, and demanding none is going farther than most people are capable of while maintaining good health.

(I personally eat meat like 1-2 times a week most weeks; I allow myself a single meat item when I get groceries and may get meat eating out. I don’t believe I would be healthy on a completely vegetarian diet, and that’s with someone who knows what he’s doing doing the majority of our cooking.)

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
My experience is quite simply that the ones who are perfectly okay with harming remote groups are the only ones I've ever met, to the point where I may wind up questioning people who actually can't eat meat because of my own damn trauma from the word "vegan".

Actually, indigenous groups are something I need to research as I'm pretty sure some of the staple veggies and grains that vegans love so much are so over-farmed in remote areas that it's causing issues for the locals. (Quinoa and asparagus are the two that come to mind - the former allegedly the locals can't afford anymore, the latter supposedly causing water issues.)

I pretty much wind up with two questions whenever the issue of "less meat" comes up - didn't we used to eat more parts of the animal, and are there areas where we could raise animals where we can't reasonably farm veggies or grains?

....full disclosure on that last comment, I'm someone who probably could never go vegan for a number of reasons and in fact my body does not tolerate veggies all that well anymore, especially in the amounts necessary in a vegan diet. And I know some of the vital organs have essential vitamins. Whether they're more "bioavailable" (read: a measure of how well the body can absorb them) than the plant versions is something I need to research, hard, for when I have much more control over my own food choices.

Kit H. Ruppell

a very different grudge
I would *love* to hear what you think this is really about, since you've got it all figured out. Peer into my mind and tell me what my *actual* gripe is.

Last edited:

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I would *love* to hear what you think this is really about, since you've got it all figured out. Peer into my mind and tell me what my *actual* gripe is.
Well you know what they say about people who always start their ramblings with some variation of "I'll be honest"

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
First day that masks are no longer mandatory over here. Stores are allowed to enforce as they see fit, but mine decided not to.

People are already back to coughing into their hands and wiping their noses like Covid never happened.

It was gross before. It's still gross, now!

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I’d personally also include excessively preachy/pushy ideological vegans and vegetarians. If your approach is “vegan/strict vegetarian or bust” you’re not only going to be ineffective, you’re also potentially contributing to the malnutrition of any people you do convert. Being vegan without lots of research and probably supplements is hard. (Also people who try to put their cats on vegan diets should try to sustain themselves exclusively on lettuce. Don’t talk to me about animal cruelty, you monsters!)
Access to the relevant nutrition, nutritional information, et al definitely falls under the “Gets fucky” realm, yeah. Like, it’s still a fairly common point of exploitation in several small communities for grocery options to be “About as diverse and nutritional as a corner shop” (to say nothing of places where it isn’t even exploitation: A couple towns in Alaska or other “Effectively isolated for the winter” regions spring to mind). Hypothetically a solution there is to expand access to the relevant food stuffs, information, et al… but the fact that this issue remains even when talking about non-Vegan diets says a lot on how difficult this issue is to fix.
Less meat is less meat/less environmental impact. More humanely sourced meat is less exploitation. Less is an improvement any way you slice it, and demanding none is going farther than most people are capable of while maintaining good health.

(I personally eat meat like 1-2 times a week most weeks; I allow myself a single meat item when I get groceries and may get meat eating out. I don’t believe I would be healthy on a completely vegetarian diet, and that’s with someone who knows what he’s doing doing the majority of our cooking.)
Since time is short (killing the last few minutes of lunch break), I’ll be brief with a “Wholehearted and sincere agreement” / “This”.

My experience is quite simply that the ones who are perfectly okay with harming remote groups are the only ones I've ever met, to the point where I may wind up questioning people who actually can't eat meat because of my own damn trauma from the word "vegan".

Actually, indigenous groups are something I need to research as I'm pretty sure some of the staple veggies and grains that vegans love so much are so over-farmed in remote areas that it's causing issues for the locals. (Quinoa and asparagus are the two that come to mind - the former allegedly the locals can't afford anymore, the latter supposedly causing water issues.)
It is a fairly common flip-flop, unfortunately. Such communities are worth emulating and acknowledging until they very sharply and suddenly aren’t.....

The “indentitarian talking points”, people with vitriol against “animal rights activists…” et al? The environmental stuff (as it relates outside those) is entirely tangential.

O

O.D.D.

To hell with these people, to hell with their ill behaved crotchspawn and to hell with anyone who plays the "nothing to be done" card. Fuck you people, die in a fucking car fire.

Kit H. Ruppell

zandelux

AKA Kardek
I'm not going to talk about the pros and cons of vegetarianism/veganism. But what I will say is this: the people who complain about the fanatical veg people seem to far outweigh the actual fanatics. Even on the Internet, I've hardly interacted with any fanatics. In real life? I've met zero people like that. None. Now admittedly this is my own perspective based on who I meet, but I do live in Los Angeles. We have no shortage of veg people, and I'm friends with quite a few. None of them are pushy. But I do meet people fairly regularly (and am even friends with one) who complain about the pushy ones.

Funny how that works.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I'm not going to talk about the pros and cons of vegetarianism/veganism. But what I will say is this: the people who complain about the fanatical veg people seem to far outweigh the actual fanatics. Even on the Internet, I've hardly interacted with any fanatics. In real life? I've met zero people like that. None. Now admittedly this is my own perspective based on who I meet, but I do live in Los Angeles. We have no shortage of veg people, and I'm friends with quite a few. None of them are pushy. But I do meet people fairly regularly (and am even friends with one) who complain about the pushy ones.

Funny how that works.
Few people would be dumb enough to do it in person, in full view where they can be countered, and that may explain your experience in LA.

As far as online? From my experience, it's the most public and least moderated spaces where the militant vegan attitude tends to flourish. You're mixing anonymity and lack of oversight in a situation like that. So naturally, you're going to get people who refuse to act with any amount of sense.

Call it the G.I.F.T. if you really want. I don't call it that because my encounters with militant vegan types have had said vegan use the kind of circular reasoning and blind moral attacks I'd usually associate with a cult.

Unfortunately, the way these people force their way into conversations, "block and move on" means allowing them free reign to pull their crap and bring down everyone else. Hence all the venting.

Kit H. Ruppell

Fucking constant rumination is driving me nuts...