• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I'm not going to talk about the pros and cons of vegetarianism/veganism. But what I will say is this: the people who complain about the fanatical veg people seem to far outweigh the actual fanatics. Even on the Internet, I've hardly interacted with any fanatics. In real life? I've met zero people like that. None. Now admittedly this is my own perspective based on who I meet, but I do live in Los Angeles. We have no shortage of veg people, and I'm friends with quite a few. None of them are pushy. But I do meet people fairly regularly (and am even friends with one) who complain about the pushy ones.

Funny how that works.
In that regard I do apologize, particularly as my original post draft was going to explicitly mention that such are a very small (and mostly just vocal) minority / proportion of vegans overall but was cut in the end.

I get that contextually it’s kind of inferred that one’s talking about bad eggs when going on about fucky interactions / rhetoric, but I’ve gone on about implicit language on here long enough that I really shouldn’t do the same.

ben909

vaporeon... *spills* ... wait espeon now
woo 90f outside and big storms

Sairn

Sairn the Majestic
I'm getting more and more pissed off at my job.

If it isn't our mostly incompetent service desk, it's staff that pretend like we're miracle workers and bypass creating any sort of ticket. Always in a state of being perpetually behind and short staffed. THEY WONDER WHY WE HAVE A HIGH TURNOVER RATE. /rantover

I'm gonna get this new job, and say fuck off to this department.

Minerva_Minx

Sheogorath is my co-pilot
Why the hell can it threaten rain and just not deliver?!?!
Be great if my dumb hand could do more than 30-40 minutes of intense actiony gaming at a stretch. Tried playing Risk of Rain 2 with husband and boyfriend last night and by the end of our run my left hand was killing me from how hard I end up pressing the WASD etc keys.

I’d personally also include excessively preachy/pushy ideological vegans and vegetarians. If your approach is “vegan/strict vegetarian or bust” you’re not only going to be ineffective, you’re also potentially contributing to the malnutrition of any people you do convert. Being vegan without lots of research and probably supplements is hard. (Also people who try to put their cats on vegan diets should try to sustain themselves exclusively on lettuce. Don’t talk to me about animal cruelty, you monsters!)

Less meat is less meat/less environmental impact. More humanely sourced meat is less exploitation. Less is an improvement any way you slice it, and demanding none is going farther than most people are capable of while maintaining good health.

(I personally eat meat like 1-2 times a week most weeks; I allow myself a single meat item when I get groceries and may get meat eating out. I don’t believe I would be healthy on a completely vegetarian diet, and that’s with someone who knows what he’s doing doing the majority of our cooking.)
I read militant vegan and strict began or bust.

Sven Solitude

Always trying my best to be positive, so take it with humor what I say now. :'D

So, there is this really weird website called "Instagram". Never planned to make an account there, but some lovely people are there and I want to support them. <3 At first it was possible to look at images without an account, just the way it should be. I was happily scrolling down, until a new window popped up, trying to force me to create an account. "Not with me!", I said, and refreshed the site, HA! But those sneaky little rats... (Not the cute furry ones.) Now, when I clicked on images, it would always show me the account creation window. As a smart and logical person, it was obvious it had to be an error, right? When you click on a thumbnail of an image, it should show the actual image in all its glory. It's common sense. But I refreshed like crazy and it wouldn't work anymore. DeviantArt and Fur Affinity must be far ahead of its time, that they let me actually look at art and images. I took it as granted, so it was my mistake. I'm the one at fault here, that's what I realized. Instagram is a journey of self-reflection. I refreshed so many times, that Instagram would now immediately show me the account creation window as soon as I visit the page, the site lost its patience with me and wouldn't even treat me the little thumbnails anymore.
After my self-reflection, I decided to create an actual account, yes. It requires only an email address, a full name and a user name. I'm fine with that, at least they don't ask for my private phone number or similar! Since they didn't ask for a real full name, I just made one up. Always protect your data!
Something really strange happened after the creation. They detected strange behaviour or something of the sort and blocked me immediately from accessing the site. Okay, weird. I don't know what could have been so strange. It was always Instagram who was strange, not me. I only want to look at images. But then I felt something really weird in my face that felt like a fist. They asked for my phone number. That was so sudden and unexpected. Since I didn't feel like yet another self-reflection, I just grabbed my phone and put in my number. They said they sent me a code, but...I never received one.
Ugh...
Okay, I checked my phone number again and again, tried to let them resend the code to me. Nothing worked, even though I did everything right.
After some research I discovered that I'm not the only one with those struggles. At least! No need to take it personally anymore. It was recommended to use a fake online phone number. And it immediately worked! Okay! I mean...I don't mind. Whatever makes them happy, I guess.
But the strangeness doesn't end here! I didn't receive a message from Instagram... No, it was a message from Facebook!!! Facebook gave me the code! Again: they had to ask Facebook to send me the code. And the code didn't even work! 3 numbers, space, 3 numbers. I typed it in correctly. After doing some math, I decided to just use the numbers without the space and it worked.
*sigh*
And now... Now I have to wait up to 24 hours until my account gets (hopefully!) activated. They will check my informations. I don't see why it shouldn't work, because I only did what they asked for. And tomorrow I can finally look at that one cute little drawing of a puppy.

If I don't leave another message here, assume my account got activated and that I live happily ever after.

ben909

Always trying my best to be positive, so take it with humor what I say now. :'D

So, there is this really weird website called "Instagram". Never planned to make an account there, but some lovely people are there and I want to support them. <3 At first it was possible to look at images without an account, just the way it should be. I was happily scrolling down, until a new window popped up, trying to force me to create an account. "Not with me!", I said, and refreshed the site, HA! But those sneaky little rats... (Not the cute furry ones.) Now, when I clicked on images, it would always show me the account creation window. As a smart and logical person, it was obvious it had to be an error, right? When you click on a thumbnail of an image, it should show the actual image in all its glory. It's common sense. But I refreshed like crazy and it wouldn't work anymore. DeviantArt and Fur Affinity must be far ahead of its time, that they let me actually look at art and images. I took it as granted, so it was my mistake. I'm the one at fault here, that's what I realized. Instagram is a journey of self-reflection. I refreshed so many times, that Instagram would now immediately show me the account creation window as soon as I visit the page, the site lost its patience with me and wouldn't even treat me the little thumbnails anymore.
After my self-reflection, I decided to create an actual account, yes. It requires only an email address, a full name and a user name. I'm fine with that, at least they don't ask for my private phone number or similar! Since they didn't ask for a real full name, I just made one up. Always protect your data!
Something really strange happened after the creation. They detected strange behaviour or something of the sort and blocked me immediately from accessing the site. Okay, weird. I don't know what could have been so strange. It was always Instagram who was strange, not me. I only want to look at images. But then I felt something really weird in my face that felt like a fist. They asked for my phone number. That was so sudden and unexpected. Since I didn't feel like yet another self-reflection, I just grabbed my phone and put in my number. They said they sent me a code, but...I never received one.
Ugh...
Okay, I checked my phone number again and again, tried to let them resend the code to me. Nothing worked, even though I did everything right.
After some research I discovered that I'm not the only one with those struggles. At least! No need to take it personally anymore. It was recommended to use a fake online phone number. And it immediately worked! Okay! I mean...I don't mind. Whatever makes them happy, I guess.
But the strangeness doesn't end here! I didn't receive a message from Instagram... No, it was a message from Facebook!!! Facebook gave me the code! Again: they had to ask Facebook to send me the code. And the code didn't even work! 3 numbers, space, 3 numbers. I typed it in correctly. After doing some math, I decided to just use the numbers without the space and it worked.
*sigh*
And now... Now I have to wait up to 24 hours until my account gets (hopefully!) activated. They will check my informations. I don't see why it shouldn't work, because I only did what they asked for. And tomorrow I can finally look at that one cute little drawing of a puppy.

If I don't leave another message here, assume my account got activated and that I live happily ever after.
facebook owns that site

ben909

O

O.D.D.

After being an unrepentant shitheel to me for months the one coworker is making threats to quit.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, asshole, don't need the OSHA guys having a fit.

quoting_mungo

Apparently it's just hand and wrist pain for me all around lately. Been going through most of the day with my right wrist brace on. Really hoping I've just done something stupid with it, because if this is what I fear it worst-case could be, I'm going to be so fucking miserable. If it's not better by Monday I guess I'm calling my GP's office to get it checked out. (Ugh do not want.)

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Days away from my first proper vacation abroad ever, I'm anxious about getting tested on friday 13th. Not out of superstition but out of believing in Murphy's law

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Ethylene Oxide, which I believe is on the swabs of testing, is carcinogenic, so constantly getting tested probably isn't very healthy for many individuals.
Let's not be anti-science now, why would they use dangerous substances on us if it saves even one life and bleh bleh bleh

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
Blue, my catto, bit my face while playing with me (we play rough) and I think it's infected. I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to take care of herself and I didn't think to bathe it or anything. It's all swollen and painful under my left eye.

I secretly hope that I lose an eye so I can pretend to be a pirate or Nick Fury.

Life goals.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Blue, my catto, bit my face while playing with me (we play rough) and I think it's infected. I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to take care of herself and I didn't think to bathe it or anything. It's all swollen and painful under my left eye.

I secretly hope that I lose an eye so I can pretend to be a pirate or Nick Fury.

Life goals.
*Slaps*

Go to doctor xD

contemplationistwolf

The Restless Maverick
I remember how enthusiastic the friend who created our discord server used to be. Things are no longer the same ...
She was a genuinely good person, I hope I'll get to see her in those spirits again ...

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Baby bro managed to convince mom to let him play Skyrim. He's 10. I bought the disc and he found it. The case says it's rated M.
"I don't think he should be but okay"
*sets up family settings on his computer*
As he gets ready for bed I get a knock on my door telling me to set the family settings on... there are none... it's a rated M game for a reason...
GUESS HE'LL JUST HAVE TO SETTLE FOR OBLIVION

quoting_mungo

Baby bro managed to convince mom to let him play Skyrim. He's 10. I bought the disc and he found it. The case says it's rated M.
"I don't think he should be but okay"
*sets up family settings on his computer*
As he gets ready for bed I get a knock on my door telling me to set the family settings on... there are none... it's a rated M game for a reason...
GUESS HE'LL JUST HAVE TO SETTLE FOR OBLIVION
Oh god kids that get parents to let them play age inappropriate games. And game store employees that enable them.

When the older of my two younger brothers was like... I think 10? he went to a game store with a friend and bought some game rated for older kids behind Mom's back. Something Wars. (This would have been back in the mid-90s. I is old.) Mom caught him playing it and went to return it. FAIK she told off the employee for selling it to a kid without guardian's consent, which... I don't think is wildly inappropriate. (My mom is pretty nice, so it wouldn't be a Karen magnitude telling-off, just a "you should not have done this.")

My ex and I were browsing at GAME after checking up on the status of my application and getting pretty rudely snubbed, and some kid came in with his dad. Kid proceeds to pick out a game rated for I want to say 17+ or 18+; definitely no younger than 15, and tries to convince dad to buy it for him. Dad looks at the age rating and asks employee if the violence in it is very bad. Sensible enough. Employee assures him that nooo.
According to ex (whom I would trust way more on this matter) game had sniping/headshots as a game mechanic.

And of course my second cousins, who when they were <10 got very cross when I wouldn't let them play games rated older than they were on my systems. I don't care if you say your dad lets you play them at home; unless I am explicitly told by your parents that this game is okay, after informing them exactly what type of violence etc it contains, you are not playing it on my system. Nope.

Like, I'm definitely going to be hella indulgent "aunt" to BFF's kiddo, but that's a line I Do Not Cross.

O

O.D.D.

Oh god kids that get parents to let them play age inappropriate games. And game store employees that enable them.

When the older of my two younger brothers was like... I think 10? he went to a game store with a friend and bought some game rated for older kids behind Mom's back. Something Wars. (This would have been back in the mid-90s. I is old.) Mom caught him playing it and went to return it. FAIK she told off the employee for selling it to a kid without guardian's consent, which... I don't think is wildly inappropriate. (My mom is pretty nice, so it wouldn't be a Karen magnitude telling-off, just a "you should not have done this.")

My ex and I were browsing at GAME after checking up on the status of my application and getting pretty rudely snubbed, and some kid came in with his dad. Kid proceeds to pick out a game rated for I want to say 17+ or 18+; definitely no younger than 15, and tries to convince dad to buy it for him. Dad looks at the age rating and asks employee if the violence in it is very bad. Sensible enough. Employee assures him that nooo.
According to ex (whom I would trust way more on this matter) game had sniping/headshots as a game mechanic.

And of course my second cousins, who when they were <10 got very cross when I wouldn't let them play games rated older than they were on my systems. I don't care if you say your dad lets you play them at home; unless I am explicitly told by your parents that this game is okay, after informing them exactly what type of violence etc it contains, you are not playing it on my system. Nope.

Like, I'm definitely going to be hella indulgent "aunt" to BFF's kiddo, but that's a line I Do Not Cross.
I wouldn't even really care that much if it weren't for the inevitable blowback on video gaming and Lieberman-esque handwringing/shrieking about how DOOM creates school shooters. Parents have a number of responsibilities to their kids, one of which is teaching them that the things you do in a video game, see in a movie or otherwise observe in media that isn't designed for kids are utterly unacceptable to do in real life. Given the nature of the internet and society at large it's pretty difficult for parents to keep their kids away from absolutely EVERYTHING that could be a bad influence, even a diligent and observant parent finds themselves being undermined by the media itself. At that point, the only thing a parent can do is make sure they are teaching their kids the most important things (separation of reality and fantasy, an understanding of what will get them in serious trouble and otherwise equipping them to keep themselves as safe as possible). The creation of ratings systems and "no kids allowed" shields itself creates another set of problems - the allure presented by "forbidden media" to kids is strong and it leaves the door open to things like "your parents won't let you play this, but I will, aren't I COOL?"

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Ethylene Oxide, which I believe is on the swabs of testing, is carcinogenic, so constantly getting tested probably isn't very healthy for many individuals.
I looked this up, and it appears to trace back to a viral video on facebook:

Ethylene Oxide is a gas used to sterilise a wide variety of medical instruments, including nasal swabs for lateral flow tests,
but you would need to take forty years' worth of swabs to be exposed to an appreciable amount of any remaining residue:

So this is a bit like believing that wearing clothes will poison you, because the laundry detergent that they are washed in is poisonous if consumed directly.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I've been in love with Loki for a few months but last night I had a sex dream about the Scout from TF2 and now I'm confused and can't stop thirsting for him. It's like stepping into a different reality.

aeb645e869d6114a9d1df8cd89e5e1f0.png