• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Fcomega121

Friendly Maned Wolf + Phoenix
Jus wanted to say that all of you are absolutly worth it, every single one. Alll the problems you guys face are nothing compared to your strength, you got this and keep going champ
*hugs you super tightly*

Santo, I love you friend ;w;
I hope all the problems get fixed soon, for you and everyone

You're an amazing friend and need a hug ;w; *hugs you tight*

quoting_mungo

My opinion on alts is that they're bad if people are using them for deceptive reasons, like bullying people, spamming political content, or playing games with the site administrators.
Just want to add to this, in regards to playing games with site administrators: best case scenario, someone using an alt to be nasty means you as the admin waste maybe a half a minute to a minute extra (per account) suspending all of their accounts when they're dicks. Worse case scenario, you're spending 10+ minutes digging to be sure you catch all alts and you don't inadvertedly also suspend friends/partners/roommates/foo who share an IP with the offender. Worst case scenario, you're spending the next several months playing whack-an-alt.

And that game gets old really fast.

Damn, now I'm irritated again about the more tiresome shenanigans I would deal with on staff.

Goldarm

Eshu's left hand
Really not comfortable about sharing the internet with minors.
SOPA may be the only person doing anything about the terrible parenting epidemic but boy do they have the wrong approach

ben909

vaporeon character is busy so coffee mushroom now
maybe if parents would actually set up filtering softwere on kids computers we would be safer, rather then demanding that the world filter it for them, and risking vpns or lies bipassing a websites filter

Ennui Elemental

Eat shit and die, tankie assholes
Banned
SOPA may be the only person doing anything about the terrible parenting epidemic but boy do they have the wrong approach
I trust no standing government in existence to protect anyone, much less minors, for a number of reasons. I ask myself sometimes if I really want that, but I cannot deny the appeal of a protective authority when I see the trouble kids get into with the absence of a widespread effective parental response to the perils posed by the internet.
maybe if parents would actually set up filtering softwere on kids computers we would be safer, rather then demanding that the world filter it for them, and risking vpns or lies bipassing a websites filter
Kids are, on average, way better at this game than a lot of parents and adults in general.

Guifrog

Blue Frog | Avatar by Lenago
When I read people mentioning SOPA:

Sopa_cremosa_de_legumes.jpeg

Also, when they mention PIPA:

beginner-kites.jpg

This is how my Portuguese-thinking brain works

Oh, as for a vent... hmmm I stayed awake until 2 AM having to explain to a client why certain words were translated into this and not into that, ultimately having to resort to dictionary links, after delivering their file. So now I'm somewhat zzZZzzz. But it'll be alright

quoting_mungo

Snow already this year yesterday and today, and as usual for this part of the country, that translates to slush fucking everywhere. Gross! One of my feet is half soaked after navigating the grocery store parking lot.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I would say it's as simple as not bothering to even engage with a fallacious, racist and countless-times defeated argument in the first place, but I do remember where I am right now. More to the point is that this particular forum is absolutely not the place to have contentious debates ventured even in sincerity, we already rip into each other enough over less.

My experience was that it was, regrettably, not that simple- for a long collection of sad and nuanced reasons.

I think the only way parents can avoid their children being exposed to inappropriate content on the internet is by supervising them in person when they are online, but it's not really practical for a lot of parents to do.

Goldarm

Eshu's left hand
you know when you destroy someone in an argument and everyone cheers and then the idiot doesn't want to admit defeat and gets all pissy about it.

yeah i'm in a conversation like that right now.

they're like "noooo, i said {proceeds to say something from earlier that doesn't actually change anything in the argument making them look even stupider}" and basically everyone just kinda left them there spitting curses and claiming that they won the argument somewhat kinda ruining the victory and making it awkward.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
you know when you destroy someone in an argument and everyone cheers and then the idiot doesn't want to admit defeat and gets all pissy about it.

yeah i'm in a conversation like that right now.

they're like "noooo, i said {proceeds to say something from earlier that doesn't actually change anything in the argument making them look even stupider}" and basically everyone just kinda left them there spitting curses and claiming that they won the argument somewhat kinda ruining the victory and making it awkward.
And then the bus clapped, right Sam?

Kiaara

The Catbee!
I'm not really sure why some people feel the need to use so-called "alt accounts" on social media, like here.

Honestly..... I've had the same single account - on this website in particular, going on nine years...... and, it's been that one account, only.

And so... when ever one uses an alt account, the first thing I gotta wonder is: what is that person hiding.... that he/she feels that they need to use one?..... and, the second thing I gotta wonder is: who this *really* is, that I'm speaking to? Which - can make things downright confusing to me.

And so, it often tells me that one: I'm dealing with a phoney, of some sort...... two: I'm dealing with some sort of liar.... or three: just a prankster out there, who's trying to rattle someone's chain.... or four: all the above. ☺

Would it really be that hard for some people - to just be honest, about who they are?

I always say, that: if someone has the personal tenacity to stand by one's own belief systems, and one's own arguments - then.... one shouldn't need an alt account, to being with..... eh? :)

► And so, when one uses an alt account..... (first and foremost): I consider that a straight-up lie.... as, you're mis-representing to me and others, who you really are..... and - it also tells me that: you may not actually stand by and believe, most of the arguments that you may make..... simply because a particular user is using a so-called "throw away" account, as some sort of cover, (for themselves).

So please..... do us all a favor - and use your real user name, for goodness sake
I can answer this as I have had three accounts here. The first one, I deleted because I decided to change my username and pronouns, and I found it best just to start all over since I was pretty young when that one was created (I was 14). The second one I deleted because I wanted to leave the fandom because I thought I wasn't interested anymore, but like everyone else, I came back. LOL

Goldarm

Eshu's left hand

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
I can answer this as I have had three accounts here. The first one, I deleted because I decided to change my username and pronouns, and I found it best just to start all over since I was pretty young when that one was created (I was 14). The second one I deleted because I wanted to leave the fandom because I thought I wasn't interested anymore, but like everyone else, I came back. LOL
Well...... there certainly are some people - (on social media) that have valid reasons for having other accounts; and I agree with you, there..... but - my vent was largely focused on so-called "alt accounts" - where: a known user is simply utilizing one to hide something - be it his/her identity...... or, his/her true feelings on a particular topic.... etcetera.

But, (with that said)..... the other user's - with legitimate reasons, (like the one's you describe) are certainly valid, though..... and I take no issue with them, personally. And thus, (I suppose) one could look at my vent - at being aimed at certain types of users; but *not* everyone.
----------------
And, so..... this is a vent thread, and - that's kinda what I did.... I vented. ;)

Goldarm

Eshu's left hand
stuck doing inventory work.

bored.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Connor, the only reason I'm dignifying this with a response is because it's just THAT dangerous and stupid to try and guilt people into this kind of thing. If you cannot take an argument prima facie for consideration and counterargument, without the contextual knowledge of who EXACTLY is making it, either the argument didn't need to be made because it's someone's PERSONAL bugaboo and thus can be summarily ignored as axe-grinding that the arguer needs to deal with on their own... or you're looking for the easy out of argumentum ad hominem.
@Ennui Elemental
Okay dude... I'll say this to you, (and give you a half-decent reply): in that - frankly, in my view: when ever someone uses an alt account in order to deflect one's true identity, simply because someone is a known user - and in turn, doesn't seem to have the courage, for some reason - to identify themselves as to whom they really are.... then - in my mind - that makes it a bit of cowardice..... regardless of the arguments that one may try to make.

(On a personal level) though: I never avoid debates with people simply because they may be using an alt.... that's not me (personally) at all.... and, kinda "goes against the grain" of what a debate Forum is supposed to be about, anyways.

But..... (I also always say) also that: if one has the personal tenacity to stand by one's own belief systems, one's own arguments, and yes - one's own true identity (if they're known)..... than, one shouldn't need an alt account to begin with.... and this is especially true - (if it is a known user) who's simply trying to avoid detection.

Because if one -- (basically) lies..... about his/her identity, than..... in my mind, I gotta wonder.... what else are they lying about? And, it isn't really "a reach" to think that.... when someone is dishonest about who they really are to begin with.
---------
And.... I'm done with this subject now.... thank you. ☺

Fcomega121

Friendly Maned Wolf + Phoenix