• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

quoting_mungo

Adblockers are fantastic on YouTube just saying.
At some point YouTube might force my hand, but for the time being, I think it’s worth remembering that when you skip (or block) ads, the creator gets no compensation from YouTube. Not even for the 5 seconds you had to watch before you could click to skip.

Since I learned that I try to let any ad 30 seconds or less play through on content creators’ channels. Unless it’s a horror movie trailer; fuck that noise.

YouTube fucking sucks for selling 10+ minute ads, though. I think the longest I’ve seen was like 1h20min. (I obviously didn’t watch that one through.)

Smityyyy

At some point YouTube might force my hand, but for the time being, I think it’s worth remembering that when you skip (or block) ads, the creator gets no compensation from YouTube. Not even for the 5 seconds you had to watch before you could click to skip.

Since I learned that I try to let any ad 30 seconds or less play through on content creators’ channels. Unless it’s a horror movie trailer; fuck that noise.

YouTube fucking sucks for selling 10+ minute ads, though. I think the longest I’ve seen was like 1h20min. (I obviously didn’t watch that one through.)

I am pleased to say that I have never once, in all my time on the internet, used an Adblocker. I have the patience and time to sit and wait for 30 seconds so that I can support a content creator. I think people have gotten to a point where they’ve consumed so much media that their attention-span doesn’t even allow for them to sit through a quick ad. Not sure how people survived when we just had to wait out commercials on television lol…

Although… I do think those 60+ minute ads are crazy!

quoting_mungo

I am pleased to say that I have never once, in all my time on the internet, used an Adblocker. I have the patience and time to sit and wait for 30 seconds so that I can support a content creator. I think people have gotten to a point where they’ve consumed so much media that their attention-span doesn’t even allow for them to sit through a quick ad. Not sure how people survived when we just had to wait out commercials on television lol…

I'll use adblockers for sites that have intrusive, excessive, or potentially malicious ads (think Encyclopedia Dramatica which I'd get tens of blocked ads per page for - I don't browse it myself, but once or twice needed to open up a page there when I was on staff because some people go the extra mile with their harassment and UGH), but that's generally not going to be major mainstream websites. The "block only obnoxious ads" type settings in adblockers these days are usually pretty good - I don't think there's an excuse for popups or pop-unders, for instance.

And if I'm viewing something that's obviously not uploaded by the rights holder, I have zero guilt about skipping ads - they have no inherent right to get paid for other people's work. Same for stuff from major corporations (e.g. Disney's YouTube channels); they don't need the ad money. XD

TV commercials are pee breaks. YouTube ads are worse in a way because ain't nobody gonna get to the bathroom and back in 30 seconds - that's just enough time to wash your hands! Plus YouTube puts ads in the middle of videos that are less than 15 minutes long. Never had TV commercials come up that often. (Overall, you're not wrong, though.

TrixieFox

Blood Rose Faction Leader
I published a song a month ago and the publishers have held it for review since then... its driving me crazy...

BooTheHamster

Banned
Banned

I prefer to support content creators through other means. Since most of my YT time centers around looking for music that typically involves actually buying their stuff via Bandcamp or whichever medium they use.

quoting_mungo

I prefer to support content creators through other means. Since most of my YT time centers around looking for music that typically involves actually buying their stuff via Bandcamp or whichever medium they use.
That’s fair; I’m mentioning it in part because it was total news to me when a content creator mentioned they get zilch for ads unless you watch them the whole way through. If you’re already supporting them monetarily it’s less of an issue, but it’s good knowledge to have in order to make an informed decision.

Especially when the advice given is just “use adblockers” - solidarity among us little guys who are at the mercy of Google etc is valuable!

Vent: Hitting the season of “do you want a warm house with stale air or a cold house with fresh air?” I have one room where I like to keep the window cracked (because the litterbox is right below it) and that’s just not workable in this cold. Temperature took a pretty sharp dive last night, I think; wasn’t this bad inside yesterday.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Aint nobody got time to get guilt-tripped into wasting time and braincells consuming ads just because some people desperately want to live off their hobby, Adblock gang forever

Vent : Nearly 10 hours shift with no break, my favorites!

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
Welcome to Friday. Not a vent, just...
Especially when the advice given is just “use adblockers” - solidarity among us little guys who are at the mercy of Google etc is valuable!

Vent: Hitting the season of “do you want a warm house with stale air or a cold house with fresh air?” I have one room where I like to keep the window cracked (because the litterbox is right below it) and that’s just not workable in this cold. Temperature took a pretty sharp dive last night, I think; wasn’t this bad inside yesterday.
Do you want to build a snowman? I want build a snowman...
I'll take snow. It's a desert here and it's just cold and dusty in the winter. Told my wife she can snuggle up to me when it's cold. Then I was cold and tried it with her but screamed my hands were too cold and ran away.

I'll suffer an ad if it's short and to the point. Political ads stop as soon as the skip shows up, but some can't be and I hate that. Bleh...

quoting_mungo

Do you want to build a snowman? I want build a snowman...
I'll take snow. It's a desert here and it's just cold and dusty in the winter. Told my wife she can snuggle up to me when it's cold. Then I was cold and tried it with her but screamed my hands were too cold and ran away.
I am of the opinion that snow should only be allowed to exist between about December 20th and new year’s. But regardless of when, no snowman-building inside, please! I’ve been trying to borrow warmth from the cat but she’s only so cooperative.

I'll suffer an ad if it's short and to the point. Political ads stop as soon as the skip shows up, but some can't be and I hate that. Bleh...
YouTube has been selling longer and longer ads. Longer and longer unskippable ones. More and more ads on the Chromecast, which used to barely get any. Like you I have some ads I won’t put up with (more coming up on the election in September, for obvious reasons), but as much as possible and reasonable I want the people whose content I consume to receive some kind of compensation, even if it’s small, for the value they bring me.

Not preaching, just sharing. To me it’s a way of paying them back.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat

I avoid ads out of sheer principle. I don't need to volunteer to be brainwashed with repetitive bullshit in everything I do. And with TV, I muted or changed the channel.

RamblingRenegade

Just a Horse Trying to Avoid Life's Manure
The ads are one thing but then creators are putting 5 minute ads in their videos selling a sponsored product. I don't want to buy your testicle shaver with your 20%off code no thanks

TrixieFox

Blood Rose Faction Leader
The ads are one thing but then creators are putting 5 minute ads in their videos selling a sponsored product. I don't want to buy your testicle shaver with your 20%off code no thanks
that sounds really painful

BooTheHamster

Banned
Banned
Edward Bernays did immeasurable damage to not only mass media but all society downwind of it. Pandora lacked real understanding of what she was unleashing, Bernays knew and opened that box to get filthy rich.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
I debated whether to vent this on the forums or not...

Whoever keeps sending stuff we didn't order on Amazon to our house.... this is not how you spite Amazon, and Amazon told us to stop returning them...

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I debated whether to vent this on the forums or not...

Whoever keeps sending stuff we didn't order on Amazon to our house.... this is not how you spite Amazon, and Amazon told us to stop returning them...

Question: If you did not order whatever the stuff is, and Amazon is not requiring payment nor the item itself...why not just keep the stuff, give it as gifts, or sell it for profit?

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
Question: If you did not order whatever the stuff is, and Amazon is not requiring payment nor the item itself...why not just keep the stuff, give it as gifts, or sell it for profit?
With Amazon's directive to stop returning them, "keep the stuff" is precisely what we're going to wind up doing.

*shrug* We've already done the morally right thing enough times that we were told to stop, so...

EDIT: I should note something. We have literally nothing else to go off of to find the person who ordered this stuff or else we'd have done it already. I won't hold it against anyone who looks at this and calls it 'sus', but there is quite literally no other recourse left on this one.

EDIT 2: I did a little more research on this one. Turns out what's going on is an actual thing called "brushing" (basically, something gets sent out unsolicited and the seller writes a fake positive review), and Amazon's own page on the subject says returning the item is unnecessary.

In fact, United States Postal Inspection Service actually has a PSA on this very topic on YouTube.

So I guess that's a load off my mind.

Last edited:

Amepix Will Win

Some Furry Artist
I hate the fact that I have no money and three games, THREE GAMES, I wanted came out! Sonic Frontiers, Bendy and the Dark Revival, Pokémon Violet! Why do you all have to come out at the same time while I'm broke!?

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
Why can't they have feminine products? What if I want to be smooth without stubble so I feel clean? Or breast enlargement creams? Or a really good smelling product for the down below? I demand equal treatment!

Smityyyy

I avoid ads out of sheer principle. I don't need to volunteer to be brainwashed with repetitive bullshit in everything I do. And with TV, I muted or changed the channel.

I think avoidance is ok. But I don’t block ads to remove revenue from content I’m viewing for free. I have the spare time to hop on my phone or switch tabs for a minute.

At the end of the day, we are bombarded by ads and they’re practically inescapable. We’re propagandized to consume from a very young age. There’s definitely arguments against ads as a concept… but I’m only nitpicking people’s overreactions to having to take a break from their video for less than a minute. IDK just feels like people have lost the ability to abstain from content for a couple seconds so that they can provide revenue to a creator.

At the end of the day… it’s everyone’s personal choice. I’ve just never understood the whining over YouTube ads, in particular. Sites that are so littered with ads/pop-ups that they’re basically unusable? Yeah, I get it. Having to take a break from your hours of free instant gratification without acting like it’s the end of the world? Yeah… that I will criticize a bit.

Jackpot Raccuki

Vibing Raccuki
Adblockers are fantastic on YouTube just saying.
Adblockers are fantastic in general.

Literally spent most of my life with an adblocker and meanwhile young me who used to sit through half an hour ads just to watch another episode of Kim Possible that isn't even in order whiles my current self can watch the entire series in order without ads.
I can spend moments with ads, I mean I kind of have to in some cases on Twitch, though I only watch 1 channel so that's no longer an issue thanks to Prime (Assuming I still keep it.)

Today's video is sponsored by the most replayed bell curve.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I think avoidance is ok. But I don’t block ads to remove revenue from content I’m viewing for free. I have the spare time to hop on my phone or switch tabs for a minute.

At the end of the day, we are bombarded by ads and they’re practically inescapable. We’re propagandized to consume from a very young age.

Ah, but that's the rub. You're 90% right, we are bombarded by ads, and told to consume from an early age. But inescapable is a relative term, and I DO have the choice to escape them when I can! My TV and radio can be turned off or muted while I do something else during commercial time. I can pre-record and fast-forward the repetitive crap. As a child I was more forced due to the lack of Internet and control over the TV/radio/etc (parents) but now, I can to put it simply, choose nowadays to not listen to the jingles and choose not to watch commercials and ads. We all can. We have power for the first time in history on the subject. So instead, I'm being asked nicely to just give up that power.

THAT'S why arguments like "but you have to watch the ads to support the content creators" bug me so much. I actually do agree that small creators deserve the ad revenue, we all deserve to be paid for our efforts and if someone gets paid by shilling some total bullshit in the background or interrupting themselves with ads they get paid. But think about what that says...that means that now instead of just blind acceptance of ads without choice like before, they're telling me I should feel guilty for not watching the ads! That I'm under some moral obligation for the content community to watch an ad, voluntarily for the first time ever, and choose to submit to the very propaganda that drove me nuts all my life...simply because?? Guilt? That's all they got as a reason.

Advertisers have lost the power dynamic. They can no longer force me to watch ads. They sure as hell TRIED before ad-blockers appeared, forcing them on every surface and soundwave medium on the planet. Webpages would be flooded and rendered useless with pop-ups, with no regard for the page hosting. Companies would and still do track every damn thing you do to try and target ads to you, in a desperate hope that you'll tollerate them. You get begged to watch an ad and guilted into watching an ad when you know damn well if they could beam it directly into your dreams they would in a heartbeat!!! Nope, not gonna happen. Commercial reality doesn't change the fact that I refuse to comply with my own brainwashing anymore. Advertisers have no soul, and they're not taking mine. Revenue be damned, I'll give the content cretors money directly first if it shuts up the ad crap (Patreon).

RamblingRenegade

Just a Horse Trying to Avoid Life's Manure
I mean content creators can't be hurting that bad when channels that I subscribe to that are just over 100k subs admit to quitting their 130k a year job because YouTube pays better