• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Smityyyy

Ah, but that's the rub. You're 90% right, we are bombarded by ads, and told to consume from an early age. But inescapable is a relative term, and I DO have the choice to escape them when I can! My TV and radio can be turned off or muted while I do something else during commercial time. I can pre-record and fast-forward the repetitive crap. As a child I was more forced due to the lack of Internet and control over the TV/radio/etc (parents) but now, I can to put it simply, choose nowadays to not listen to the jingles and choose not to watch commercials and ads. We all can. We have power for the first time in history on the subject. So instead, I'm being asked nicely to just give up that power.

THAT'S why arguments like "but you have to watch the ads to support the content creators" bug me so much. I actually do agree that small creators deserve the ad revenue, we all deserve to be paid for our efforts and if someone gets paid by shilling some total bullshit in the background or interrupting themselves with ads they get paid. But think about what that says...that means that now instead of just blind acceptance of ads without choice like before, they're telling me I should feel guilty for not watching the ads! That I'm under some moral obligation for the content community to watch an ad, voluntarily for the first time ever, and choose to submit to the very propaganda that drove me nuts all my life...simply because?? Guilt? That's all they got as a reason.

Advertisers have lost the power dynamic. They can no longer force me to watch ads. They sure as hell TRIED before ad-blockers appeared, forcing them on every surface and soundwave medium on the planet. Webpages would be flooded and rendered useless with pop-ups, with no regard for the page hosting. Companies would and still do track every damn thing you do to try and target ads to you, in a desperate hope that you'll tollerate them. You get begged to watch an ad and guilted into watching an ad when you know damn well if they could beam it directly into your dreams they would in a heartbeat!!! Nope, not gonna happen. Commercial reality doesn't change the fact that I refuse to comply with my own brainwashing anymore. Advertisers have no soul, and they're not taking mine. Revenue be damned, I'll give the content cretors money directly first if it shuts up the ad crap (Patreon).

The only thing I’m gonna push back on is that you can escape ads. I disagree. Maybe this is just an American issue (not sure if you’re American or not, sorry!) but we have practically zero way out of ads. They’re in our grocery stores, in the mail, on grocery packaging, on billboards and posters alongside roads, on trains and busses, on buildings, on electronic boards, and just about every single place you need to go to maintain a living.

Unless you’re totally off-grid… you end up seeing thousands of ads per day. Studies suggest we actually end up seeing 2,000-4,000 ads on the low end per day. Studies also suggest you don’t need to actively look at ads to be influenced by them. We are being influenced subconsciously and companies dump millions into research on exactly how to do that to us. So while I don’t disagree with the rest… I don’t think it’s really easily escapable anymore.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
The only thing I’m gonna push back on is that you can escape ads. I disagree. Maybe this is just an American issue (not sure if you’re American or not, sorry!) but we have practically zero way out of ads. They’re in our grocery stores, in the mail, on grocery packaging, on billboards and posters alongside roads, on trains and busses, on buildings, on electronic boards, and just about every single place you need to go to maintain a living.

Unless you’re totally off-grid… you end up seeing thousands of ads per day. Studies suggest we actually end up seeing 2,000-4,000 ads on the low end per day. Studies also suggest you don’t need to actively look at ads to be influenced by them. We are being influenced subconsciously and companies dump millions into research on exactly how to do that to us. So while I don’t disagree with the rest… I don’t think it’s really easily escapable anymore.
Presence is not influence, Smityyyy.

The only thing the ads do, no matter how much money a company dumps into them, where they place them, etc., is put the thought in people's heads. From that point it is entirely up to the listener/viewer to choose whether or not that ad affects them in any way.

Take a step back and think. Do this any time ads show up. You'll realize you actually can escape the ads despite them being everywhere.

Advertisements are just another form of intrusive thought, Smityyyy.

The sooner people realize that, the sooner these companies will stop wasting such ridiculous budgets on their messaging.

quoting_mungo

THAT'S why arguments like "but you have to watch the ads to support the content creators" bug me so much. I actually do agree that small creators deserve the ad revenue, we all deserve to be paid for our efforts and if someone gets paid by shilling some total bullshit in the background or interrupting themselves with ads they get paid. But think about what that says...that means that now instead of just blind acceptance of ads without choice like before, they're telling me I should feel guilty for not watching the ads! That I'm under some moral obligation for the content community to watch an ad, voluntarily for the first time ever, and choose to submit to the very propaganda that drove me nuts all my life...simply because?? Guilt? That's all they got as a reason.
I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree that it comes down to guilt per se. I can't afford to subscribe to their Patreons or YouTube memberships, and I want them to get the pennies they get from ads rather than stiff them altogether. Watching the ads is making a choice to pay them through the means I have at my disposal. I personally think it's a right thing to do, but I have still set personal boundaries around things like ad length and subject matter. Like... you're not a bad person if you don't toss money to a street performer, but if you come by regularly to enjoy their performance it's courteous to leave them something at least now and again. How you choose to do that, I have no strong opinion on.

This big discussion wasn't something I intended to start by bringing up how arse YouTube is to their creators, paying them zilch if you skip part of an ad (I don't believe for a moment that they don't charge advertisers for those 5 seconds). I literally only mentioned it because it's not widely disclosed that things work that way, and I think it's something people should know before making the decision to block ads. That's it. If it's an informed decision, good enough for me. I personally think of watching the ad as paying them for their time with Google's money. ;)

At least using the browser plug-ins that help you skip sponsored content spiels doesn't really do anything one way or the other for what the content creators get paid. (I don't use those plug-ins, either, but that's mostly because 99% of the time I'm watching YouTube on the phone app or the Chromecast. That and sometimes the ones that aren't obviously scripted *coughSquarespacecough* are pretty funny, depending on how much freedom the company has given the creator in how they present their sponsor.)

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
Ok, I love the funny ads where creators just make it up as they go.

Maybe somehow I just don't get the right ads, and maybe this is something with the how the system ses me, but 90% are for dudes. The ones for women seem more just.. throw away, I guess? Like I'm supposed to be ashamed of myself? But maybe that's because I just don't really do the girly girl thing or carry the typical airs, I guess? I wanna cry thinking about that and this is over ads which is ridiculous. Lol.

D

Deleted member 160111

but 90% are for dudes
There is no law prohibiting women from being dudes:>
The ads I see are usually pretty "equal" I mean, shaving cream, pads, shampoo for men, face cream and so on. And a lot of advertising for games, betting, food and restaurants is what I see.

I am most annoyed by the advertising of diapers. Damn it, I don't want to look at a kid's ass. nobody wants to. Why.

Minerva_Minx

There is no law prohibiting women from being dudes:>
The ads I see are usually pretty "equal" I mean, shaving cream, pads, shampoo for men, face cream and so on. And a lot of advertising for games, betting, food and restaurants is what I see.

I am most annoyed by the advertising of diapers. Damn it, I don't want to look at a kid's ass. nobody wants to. Why.
You're right, of course. Sorry, I am crying at the moment from just being stressed the f out and just angry and rage and dismay. I talk more like a dude, act more like a dude, just am not a dude. And i guess it just hit me all at once and this is just...aaargh! Because of ads of all things.

no, i posted something I am both proud and ashamed of yesterday. And suddenly it's like, oh crap! You're female! Like it's some major shock or revelation and I get that woth words on a screen and what I do on a normal basis, but... to do that... and suddenly, and suddenly see a massive change in everything from attitudes and ads to search results it's like wtf? This iss what everyone needed or wanted? I can't get preggers -PCOS. Oh, well, dude. I am a lesbian -dude, post my unedited whoo hoo and -OMG YOU'RE A GIRL?! And now I'm seeing like female art and ads and just goddamn algorithms suddenly understanding as some people are like oh we were terribly mean, miss, and didn't know.

Frickkin done with this garbage! I mean, yeah i don't act right, don't speak right, play it off, don't track right because I stopped playing the docile, reserved girl and went minx track but gooddamn it not all of us are cookie cutter!

Sorry, A's a little broken at the moment. Please standby as maintenance crews with chocolate and coffee are on scene. We will have an update shortly,

Edit: AND NOW I HAVE SOMEONE WANTING ME TO MAKE ME MAKE IT LOOK LIKE IT'S SINGING! #FML

D

Deleted member 160111

Sorry, I am crying at the moment from just being stressed the f out and just angry and rage and dismay. I talk more like a dude, act more like a dude, just am not a dude. And i guess it just hit me all at once and this is just...aaargh! Because of ads of all things.
Wow, I do not know what the real reason for your stress is. But if it's an advertisement, damn it. These are statistics. Statistics leave out all the "wrong ones". Relax.
I love embroidery and I'm a male, I don't like football at all, I'm not interested in cars. I just do what I do. I don't care if I don't answer the statistical majority. And you should too. Frames - constrain the personality.
Sorry, A's a little broken at the moment.
Never mind. Have some tea and calm down.

Minerva_Minx

Super stressed out with totality of everything real and online. Yesterday a friend of mine ran me out of the office to a coffee shop just to talk. So my snark hit a level that caused her concern and she felt she had to intervene.
Apologies, usually my vents are demure and focused. This was I don't know, I snapped. I shouldn't have and I apologize. I guess even I have to admit my vulnerabilities and insecurities at times.

Smityyyy

Presence is not influence, Smityyyy.

The only thing the ads do, no matter how much money a company dumps into them, where they place them, etc., is put the thought in people's heads. From that point it is entirely up to the listener/viewer to choose whether or not that ad affects them in any way.

Take a step back and think. Do this any time ads show up. You'll realize you actually can escape the ads despite them being everywhere.

Advertisements are just another form of intrusive thought, Smityyyy.

The sooner people realize that, the sooner these companies will stop wasting such ridiculous budgets on their messaging.

Sorry but this isn’t true… as much as you can try to fully escape influence — the human brain isn’t invincible. I’d certainly like if what you said were true… but study after study has proven that we are (to a degree) being subconsciously influenced by advertisements and messaging whether you think you are or not. Yeah you can ignore it… but when you’re being exposed to 4,000 opportunities for messaging… do you think you’ll be able to avoid all of that?

This just comes down to biology. Humans take in far more information than we are consciously processing. Even just being in the vicinity of certain messaging tends to shift our behavior and opinions. So you can try… but you and I are animals at the end of the day and marketing psychologists know exactly how to hack the human brain. I certainly ignore almost every single ad I see… but does it mean I’m not subconsciously influenced to a degree? No. Over 90% of humans are being subconsciously and consciously influenced by ads. The remaining 10% avoiding this influence are those who have autism… as that has been shown to make you less prone to influence by ads. Other conditions and circumstances apply to that remaining 5-10% that cannot be greatly influenced.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
To Hell with advertisements and advertisers. I'd rather not consume the media at all than listen to or watch any sort of advertising, and actively don't.

TV? I don't even own one anymore. If I'm watching one with someone else I'm at the very least muting it while ads are playing. Radio? Only in my car and the thing goes off the moment and advertisement even thinks about starting. I hardly tolerate in-reel ads for YT videos where the creators themselves are reading a script for a sponsorship, and only by virtue of spamming the L key for forwarding ten seconds until it's over. I wouldn't do so personally, but vandalism targeting advertising is the only kind of crime I wouldn't crack down on. I don't even see (most) advertisements as ethical or moral in any way.

If one is absolutely forced to view them, think about them. Analyze them. Why are they saying what they are in the way they are? When one understands psychology he is much more able to resist it. Or as I always like to say, psychology doesn't work when you understand it.

Smityyyy

Let me reiterate — most people are exposed to 2,000-4,000 ads per day on the low end. Maybe you’re AdBlocking, muting, switching channels, etc. for many… but like I said — ads go far beyond that.

One of the many ways advertisers hack our biology is via mere-exposure. We are prone to developing favorable opinions toward things in our environment regularly. This is commonly tapped into by advertisers. Even just seeing messaging out the corner of your eye… you’re being influenced.

So like I said three posts ago… I think there’s an argument to be made on the ethics of advertisements of a whole. I personally do not like them… or at the very least want heavy restrictions on them. That’s a fair argument and frankly a separate discussion.

But let me reiterate that most people are entirely unable to escape the influence of ads even if you’re trying to. And the degree to which you’d have to go to escape 4,000+ ads per day… well… I can’t imagine the quality of life you’d have doing so.

RamblingRenegade

Just a Horse Trying to Avoid Life's Manure
I mean say any product within distance of your phone then go on Facebook.. tell me they aren't spying lol

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
And the degree to which you’d have to go to escape 4,000+ ads per day… well… I can’t imagine the quality of life you’d have doing so.
Actually, it's far, far healthier than the ones who don't try to avoid it. We learned our limitations, we learned what boundaries are, we set them, and we don't budge. Advertisers try to push those boundaries and we stand firm.

The 90% you are claiming can't escape it are the ones who refuse to understand or utilize the concept of boundaries. That is all.

However, stepping back and thinking about what you're trying to say, like I'm trying to preach here... I do not see this going anywhere constructive, so I'm going to stop there.

BooTheHamster

Banned
Banned
Actually, it's far, far healthier than the ones who don't try to avoid it. We learned our limitations, we learned what boundaries are, we set them, and we don't budge. Advertisers try to push those boundaries and we stand firm.

The 90% you are claiming can't escape it are the ones who refuse to understand or utilize the concept of boundaries. That is all.

However, stepping back and thinking about what you're trying to say, like I'm trying to preach here... I do not see this going anywhere constructive, so I'm going to stop there.
I will say that I am rather confident that creating and enforcing boundaries is the answer here simply because it's what they try to make difficult.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
November is only half over and everyone is tripping over themselves for Christmas. Give it a minute to tick over the month at least, bleh.

Regret

Insert Witticism Here
These out of touch engineers that think they are the greatest gift on God’s green earth, when in reality they are the worst type of moron, the educated moron, who think they can do no wrong and talk down to everyone who disagrees. They exist solely to make my job so much harder than in needs to be.

Monday is going to be an absolute shitshow because of their incompetence.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
November is only half over and everyone is tripping over themselves for Christmas. Give it a minute to tick over the month at least, bleh.
Mate. They've been tripping over themselves over here since before Halloween even started. May as well celebrate Easter 2 months early too. Bleh.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I did that last time then December hit and I had zero free time for that XD I came all but empty handed. This year I got this, already got much of my shopping done

Woozle

Honey, you should see me in a crown.
Our dog was sick all over the sofa.

I can't stand the mess. I'm a bit OCD and it's horrible. I feel guilty but I just can't stand it and I want it to stop. I love this stupid dog but I want to move out because I can't stand the vomit.

I should be thinking of her wellbeing but all I can think of is how disgusting it is. I'm sorry, Neve. You deserve better people.

quoting_mungo

Our dog was sick all over the sofa.

I can't stand the mess. I'm a bit OCD and it's horrible. I feel guilty but I just can't stand it and I want it to stop. I love this stupid dog but I want to move out because I can't stand the vomit.

I should be thinking of her wellbeing but all I can think of is how disgusting it is. I'm sorry, Neve. You deserve better people.
Would putting a throw or blanket on the sofa (makes cleanup so much smoother) make it easier for you to cope with? Is this a long-term problem she has, or is she just unwell right now?

Woozle

Honey, you should see me in a crown.
Would putting a throw or blanket on the sofa (makes cleanup so much smoother) make it easier for you to cope with? Is this a long-term problem she has, or is she just unwell right now?

She has been very ill and has been throwing up everything we feed to her for a few weeks now. The vet can't work out what's wrong with her and it's incredibly upsetting and frustrating. We're not a negligent family, the animals always come first, but I'm losing hope that anything will help her. We're trying different foods that the vet suggests but it all comes back up, even really bland food. Argh.

quoting_mungo

She has been very ill and has been throwing up everything we feed to her for a few weeks now. The vet can't work out what's wrong with her and it's incredibly upsetting and frustrating. We're not a negligent family, the animals always come first, but I'm losing hope that anything will help her. We're trying different foods that the vet suggests but it all comes back up, even really bland food. Argh.
Aww, I’m sorry, that’s got to be rough on all of you. I know for cats it’s white fish boiled in rice water when all else fails, or else the high-calorie post-op stuff where a small amount will go a long way. I had to tube feed ragdoll’s sister when she came down with hepatic lipidosis and most of what I got into her came right back up. Smell of regular wet food also triggered vomiting.

If you can, and your vet doesn’t advise otherwise, feeding her slower or in more, smaller portions might help. When Belladonna was sick and I was tube feeding her, she was holding her food better the slower I injected it in the tube. Meant taking 20 minutes per feed, but I had to do everything I could.

I hope you find a way that works for you, and that she feels better. I hope I didn’t make you feel like I was criticizing the care you take of your dog. That was not at all my intention; I don’t doubt for a moment that you love her and that you and your family are trying hard to make her feel better. (My memory is really bad, and I only now am starting to remember you mentioning the situation previously, so I’m sorry about that.)

Minerva_Minx

Monday. Ha. Panic attacks, recovery from my unhinged weekend, and mental health appointment scheduled for nearest day on February. *bangs head on desk*
I just made a happy birth cake. Not birthday, birth. I ran out of gel. God I am a mess. Time for work.

Hello Starbucks my old friend
That sexy barista do send again.
While I need hot caffeine brewing
Left night it left me too sleepy...