• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Vent Thread

Nexus Cabler

Strong independent black dragon
One thing I hate about having autism is that its hard when I am communicating with someone who is suffering. I really struggle to find the words to express my empathy/sympathy and grief for someone, and it sometimes seems like I don't care about them, when really I do. I wish I could be a therapist to those in need, but the most I can muster when someone is in tears is "I'm sorry" or "I'm here" or "It will be okay" which is usually not enough, and I feel bad about that. I would give them a hug, because that would help me express my feelings, but that's not usually an option. I usually feel like people assume I am empty and uncaring, when in reality I want to cry with them, but my brain won't function in a way that can let me.

Kuuro

Hey man, look at me rocking out!
To be honest? I'm having to cut ALL news from my life, not just about the America situation. This is likely to be for a couple of years at least, possibly a permanent thing.

That method of informing me is not going to work anymore. If I really want to care about the issues I'm better off reading books.
Same :/ Negativity sells. Russian news site "City Reporter" once conducted an experiment, posting only positive articles for one day. It lost two thirds of its usual traffic in that time. Media outlets are formulated to keep people watching, regardless of what's actually important. It's a perfect balance of the maximum amount of negativity you can willingly tolerate and the least amount of positive relief you need to stay from feeling too upset to turn it off (hence mass murder report followed by rescued puppies report). Then, in between, ad revenue ensues, complete with the target demographic in mind. Anti-depressants (which is so ironic, like they know they're depressing everyone) and anything old people will buy. Because, well, old people watch the news. One study concluded Fox news, for example, had a median age of 65. So it's mostly pharmaceuticals (arthritis, heart disease, etc.), life insurance policies and other shit like that. It's just a big business, but it's manipulative.

IMO the whole "staying informed" thing is a completely false. I don't care if others watch the news, I have multiple friends and family who do. But I don't see the point. I haven't felt any less in touch with the world since I've stopped watching it, and I certainly didn't feel better when I was watching. I've found that if anything actually important was happening, the information made its way to me by word of mouth. And something so urgent is so rare it's not worth filling my brain with "the world is total shit!" every day. Like the last time something actually important was happening my city was literally on FIRE. I didn't need NBC to tell me, I could see it.

I feel like the whole idea of the world being complete chaos is simply because everyone believes it's complete chaos. I mean, have you read some of the shit that's happened in human history? There's always been corruption and turmoil, just as there's always been beauty and opportunity. Yin and Yang man

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
"Veal and foie gras gud becuz disabled BIPOC food desertz!"
It's clear that your issue isn't with racism or other forms of discrimination, but with animal welfare.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
@Kuuro @Firuthi Dragovic

If you want to consume news and events that you want to be sure isn't sensationalised in order to draw in Ad revenue,
can I suggest publicly funded news sources like PBS or the BBC?

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
@Kuuro @Firuthi Dragovic

If you want to consume news and events that you want to be sure isn't sensationalised in order to draw in Ad revenue,
can I suggest publicly funded news sources like PBS or the BBC?
The problem goes deeper for me than just where the funding for the news site originates. It's an issue with my philosophy that is going to require me going cold-turkey on the whole news thing due to burnout.

Because I already know that with the way I function, if I see facts off of places like PBS or BBC, I won't be able to STAY on places like PBS or BBC. I will have to confirm them in other places, pull up bias-checks to make sure I'm not going down conspiracy holes... it's a much more exhausting process with me (and I dunno if anyone remembers any of my screw-ups from when we had the political subforum) and I've gotten dysregulated from the whole thing to the point where I basically cannot really put in even a half-assed attempt to resolve bias anymore.

And not only am I quite aware how dangerous that is... I earn no satisfaction or worth trying to push harder to "stay informed" in my current life situation. If the world winds up burning in two years, I'll see the smoke plumes or hear the sirens.

It's time for me to shut it out, try to recover, and do other things with my time.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Last night I had a dream with one of my imaginary hubbies in it. Naturally, it was only ever full of stress/conflict that prevented me from even snuggling the bastard without interruptions, like kids storming in for a random B-day party, or getting shot up.

Here's hoping I get that part two/happy ending tonight. UnU

sleepy kitty

feline enthusiast & insomniac
My neighbor has stopped bothering me, must be because I roasted him the other day.

...Let it stay that way.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Last night I had a dream with one of my imaginary hubbies in it. Naturally, it was only ever full of stress/conflict that prevented me from even snuggling the bastard without interruptions, like kids storming in for a random B-day party, or getting shot up.

Here's hoping I get that part two/happy ending tonight. UnU

SO I DIDN'T GET THIS. AT ALL.

The first half was me wanting to die because I was working at Walmart again. I spent the last hour of my shift helping a 'little' (like the fetish) 15 year old boy find a bra that would keep his manboobs from jiggling.

BUT.
BUUUUT.
I went on a much-needed vacation afterwards, and at this lodge I was introduced to a fantasy world and I had a cute little google side-kick (think platypus, but with no limbs or tail) and a sexy anthro moth-man lookin' dude, and then some anime chibi people I don't care about, but had a cool jrpg cardgame-like story goin' on.

Even if he did get a little annoyed that I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was some kind of dedicated cosplayer/costume designer from a power rangers set, there was definitely some romantic tension between me and mothman. :cool:

Charleslr'93

SO I DIDN'T GET THIS. AT ALL.

The first half was me wanting to die because I was working at Walmart again. I spent the last hour of my shift helping a 'little' (like the fetish) 15 year old boy find a bra that would keep his manboobs from jiggling.

BUT.
BUUUUT.
I went on a much-needed vacation afterwards, and at this lodge I was introduced to a fantasy world and I had a cute little google side-kick (think platypus, but with no limbs or tail) and a sexy anthro moth-man lookin' dude, and then some anime chibi people I don't care about, but had a cool jrpg cardgame-like story goin' on.

Even if he did get a little annoyed that I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was some kind of dedicated cosplayer/costume designer from a power rangers set, there was definitely some romantic tension between me and mothman. :cool:
Oooooo kinky stuff! Speakin' my language. *^_^*

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Isn't there a damn furry community that isn't only about politics and sexuality? It was fun for the first few years but it's getting old now.
Sorry, sorry! With the way the past few years have been, it's going to take me some time to not be as high-strung and focus on the whole animal aspect.

I'm trying to find healthier ways to purge the tension but some of my old habits are persisting it seems.

sleepy kitty

feline enthusiast & insomniac
Stop pretending you're out of food all the time. I know you get paid a very good amount of money every week!

Charleslr'93

Isn't there a damn furry community that isn't only about politics and sexuality? It was fun for the first few years but it's getting old now.
That's what I'm trying to say, but people seem to ignore that as they continue to attack and argue against one another.

The simple saying: United we stand, Devided we fall. Need I say more?