• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ventalation (Fans)

Rivercoon

My first attempt at doing a foam head is a rabbit. I'm looking to ventilate it with two fans blowing out the ears on top of the head. What is the smallest fans you think I can get away with?
Also when it comes to noise I've been told the smaller the fan the noisier it will be. Fortunately the decibel level of most 12v fans is available on the package or online. What is considered the loudest acceptable for a head like this so the wearer can still hear what is going on around them?

Rhee

I use a raspberry pi fan and its a centimeter and a half, I have not found a fan smaller. It really isn't the best heat sink fan, I use it to defog my lenses.
probably a 30mm fan though its hard to guess when you don't know the parameters.

measure it

Rhee

most fans are quiet, my baby fan is very quiet. will you be installing them as heat sinks or air blowers?
for foam you could probably glue them right in or even make a bit of a ledge with the foam so the fans aren't right at your head

Rivercoon

I was able to cut out square holes in the foam inside the base of the ears. A sheet of plastic mesh was then glued in place below the fans so hair will not be sucked into the blades. I tried digging channels in the foam from the eyes to the fans but they are pretty shallow as the foam is thin on top of the head. At least there are now vents on top of the head.
Time will tell how much good the fans do.