• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

video games

Are the newer video games better then the older ones?

• Total voters
T

Tewin Follow

I liked the older better.
New ones are still great fun to tho.

I miss older RPGs.
Where it didnt lead you by the hand and put you where you needed to go. Or have a compass to pin out exctaly where to go.

Also some older rpg had more complex dungeons. More levels in some dungeons too.
Less save points.

A lot of games have so many save possibilites it easy to restart just a few steps back.

Actually I find a lot of older RPGs didn't try very hard to care about how difficult the player would find their ridiculous and vauge clues. And the horrible Engrish didn't help.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I liked the older better.
New ones are still great fun to tho.

I miss older RPGs.
Where it didnt lead you by the hand and put you where you needed to go. Or have a compass to pin out exctaly where to go.

Also some older rpg had more complex dungeons. More levels in some dungeons too.
Less save points.

A lot of games have so many save possibilites it easy to restart just a few steps back.
To me, the location of the save point is relevant to huge events happening (i.e. boss battles, etc), either that or they're located in a sort of generalized spot (i.e. the center of a town, entrance to a dungeon)

I like it better though when my games let me save whenever, as opposed to having to hunt down a save point

PenningtontheSkunk

What is this internet?
Some are and some aren't.

Kvasir

Zumba!!!
sometimes they are better old sometimes they are better old, other times they are the same.

Kuraggo

Ultrakill
Old games are overrated. Way overrated. Beyond overrated.

Sure some of them were really great and they bring back memories, but I just cannot stand playing most of them nowadays, because they became boring, or they were always boring. And the horrible eye-raping graphics don't help either.

So modern games all the way.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Question, Kuraggo: What type of games do you play? It's pretty hard to deny that some games, such as RPG's, have been stagnating (look at NPC's in Baldur's Gate II, now look at NPC's in Dragon Age), while other games (third person shooters) have been on a general rise in quality.

T

Tycho

Question, Kuraggo: What type of games do you play? It's pretty hard to deny that some games, such as RPG's, have been stagnating (look at NPC's in Baldur's Gate II, now look at NPC's in Dragon Age), while other games (third person shooters) have been on a general rise in quality.

Minsc > Alistair.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
Actually I find a lot of older RPGs didn't try very hard to care about how difficult the player would find their ridiculous and vauge clues. And the horrible Engrish didn't help.

I do agree translations there were not always the best.(some games were just horrible on them)
I never had problems finding out where to go tho.

Now if only they can give better clues without giving excat pin point compass markings. Or at least give a option to turn it on or off.

To me, the location of the save point is relevant to huge events happening (i.e. boss battles, etc), either that or they're located in a sort of generalized spot (i.e. the center of a town, entrance to a dungeon)

I like it better though when my games let me save whenever, as opposed to having to hunt down a save point

I can so much agree to saving before a big boss battle(more so in newer games). Only to lose and do the long trek again to get to it. Or before a lengthy CS
That is also what made is so challanging to.

Some of the older Final Fantasy games had good saves at key points or middle of dungeon which I did like. Also in the overworld areas you could save anywhere.

Also Phantasy Stay II you could only save in town, unless you knew how to get the hidden(well steal it) phone item to save anywhere.

Rahne

Enjoying the Rain
The answer is very subjective. Some newer ones are better than some older ones, but I don't think it's possible to compare the entire new era of video games to that of the old one. Again, because some of the new ones are highly successful and really good, but some are just terrible and failures, but the same can be said about older games.

However... I voted newer games, simply because... as much as I love all those old video games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Killer Instinct Gold... no game from that time will ever compare to the epicness that is the Mass Effect series. Not in my opinion.

Saito Chikara

Old games have that "Nostalgia" if you grew up with them (Mario Bros. 3, Blades of Steel FTW) but a lot of the newer games (FF XIII, DOA4, Halo Reach) have really good, almost realistic graphics. The storylines have evolved over the years (Halo, for instance), But I have to cast my vote as a "No" as you just can't replace Nostalgia, no matter how flashy your graphics are.

Captain Spyro

Heart of the DragonStar
The question is a bit too general and ambiguous. You can't give a fair assertion by saying that one era of gaming is better than another as there are plenty of examples of quality and lack of it in . I mean seriously, people tout the classic days, but the modern era has some damn good games itself.

Both are good, but both have their respective piles of crap as well.

Rahne

Enjoying the Rain
The question is a bit too general and ambiguous. You can't give a fair assertion by saying that one era of gaming is better than another as there are plenty of examples of quality and lack of it in . I mean seriously, people tout the classic days, but the modern era has some damn good games itself.

Both are good, but both have their respective piles of crap as well.

My point exactly.

Kuraggo

Ultrakill

I play mostly FPS', Racing games, 3rd person shooters, and varied genres in between. But I tend to stay away from RPG's, unless they're like ME2 which is more shooter than RPG. But even then, if I was obliged to play one I would choose a modern RPG, I wouldn't stand playing one of those with nasty and old graphics, I just don't find it very fun to watch pixels kill each other for 10 minutes with floating -HP numbers and text globes.

But that's just me.

Rakuen Growlithe

Banned
Banned
I think PS1/N64 games sucked. The early DOS games were awesome because they were more original. Then the PS1 type games tried to do graphics but failed at it and so sucked.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Saito: Did you just use Halo as an example of how Stories have evolved in games over the years?

I mean, if you're comparing it to Unreal Tournament you might be right (But, heck, Unreal itself has more plot than Halo), but Halo isn't exactly the best example of a plot. Actually, it's a pretty good example of mediocre plot + media hype = awesome. It's the Avatar of Video Games.