• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

View of earth from space at night

SparkyWolf

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
We'll be dead before space travel becomes plane-ticket-price-tier.

I'm sad that I'll never live to see that day come. I hope you kids will have a smashing good time by then

-Sliqq-

Silo
We'll be dead before space travel becomes plane-ticket-price-tier.

I'm sad that I'll never live to see that day come. I hope you kids will have a smashing good time by then

Don't worry we'll trap you in the M.P.D. before that happens. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, who knows? It might become possible sometime soon. Considering that we're now beginning to focus on renewable sources of energy, if we can "harness" enough power from it it, it might be enough to launch a personal rocket into space.

Of course, this is just my own speculation and thoughts.

jtrekkie

Feathered
It's beautiful.

Maybe Virgin Galactic has a shot?

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
How can you be so sure? You see the future? Lucky you.
Edit: Notice how Mara said 'plane-ticket-price-tier.' Considering that hitching rides on the Russians' Soyuz is in the tens-of-millions USD, when it was available for tourism, I can't imagine any other nation or private company's price tag would be that far off. We're still talking big money, not plane-ticket money. And even if energy sources change and whatnot, it's till going to remain a high number, since the cost of creating and sustaining the vessel is high.

I am inclined to agree with Mara that the prices for space tourism will not drop to an affordable level, barring saving your entire life and using it all for a trip to space, in our lifetimes. But who knows, maybe we're wrong.

@Marazhuki I'll take your ashes up into space and launch them into the crotch of the Orion constellation. ;n; ♥

------

Terry Virts's twitter has some gorgeous shots of the Earth from space. @AstroTerry if you're interested.

Last edited:

jtrekkie

Feathered
Yes, but those are man rated rockets. You get rid of that constraint and the price comes way down. Also the Soyuz is just a stupid design. Way too heavy, too much of your payload is rocket. Von Braun FTW.

Edit: i'm not biased at all.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Yes, but those are man rated rockets. You get rid of that constraint and the price comes way down. Also the Soyuz is just a stupid design. Way too heavy, too much of your payload is rocket. Von Braun FTW.

Edit: i'm not biased at all.

Soyuz has historically been one of the safest and most reliable launch vehicles...

At the topic in general, vehicles such as Virgin Galactic's do not go into space in the conventional sense. They follow a sub-orbital trajectory, because the energy required to attain orbit is prohibitively large.

There is no reason to think that energy will become cheap enough, and launch vehicles safe enough, to make space travel accessible to the general public within our generation.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
@Marazhuki I'll take your ashes up into space and launch them into the crotch of the Orion constellation. ;n; ♥

(≧◡≦) Awww... That means a lot to me, I wish I have biological children who tells me that.

Also what's M.P.D?

woofywolvez

Maybe Virgin Galactic has a shot?

They just had a bad crash not too long ago... poor space tourists. Maybe space is not so hard to reach, but they just don't want us to go there until they take care of some crazy intergalactic war they aren't telling us about.