• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Violence and Justifications

Kosdu

Hey, so I decided to make a thread about -you guessed it- violence.
What justifies it, to what amount, how far would you take it (if able)?

I'll make my response now...Violence, to me, is not justified unless in the defence of another, or yourself. I believe it should only be used to the point where the threat is eliminated. As in, if a punk pushes or punches you, you don't break his arm. However, if you think that it is a major threat (a.k.a. Knife, Gun, Skilled Fighter) then more force is justified, up to the degree it requires, if killing must absolutely be done then it must, but is to be avoided.

In my beliefs, a person only has one shot at life, and if you take that away from them through permanent damage and/or death without dire need, then you are simply as bad as them. It's like an unarmed man breaks into your house and you shoot him dead. Unless you absolutely had to, it just ain't right.

I kinda been struggling with anger/violence issues, so that's why I made this thread. I tend to escalate rather than deescalate situations and that is simply not good. I am a bit of a braggart when horseplayimg with friends too, even if it may occasionally get me a little knock to my noggin.

Let the games begin.

Last edited:

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
escalation of force, so it really depends on the situation. if somebody just wants to fight, we fight, if they pull a knife, ive got one too. guns are different, because if you pull that shit on me and dont use it, ill fuck you up, especially if i have one, because im not going to wait and see if you suddenly develop a conscience and morals. i dont want to kill anybody, and sometimes its really better to run away, but its really a case by case basis.

Golden

I'd prefer to defuse the situation using words. However, if things escalate to a certain point, then violence is necessary (insofar as it gets things down to a manageable level). Retaliating to an aggressor a la "eye for an eye" solves nothing.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
If someone breaks into my home with the intent to harm me or anyone else that gets in his way I'm going to shoot that mother fucker dead, end of story. If I catch an intruder an point my firearm at them and they run away, I'm not going to shoot them in the back, but I that person charges at me or reaches for something I will fire.

O

Outcast

Well, I keep a joy buzzer on me most of the time... not exactly violence, but my "victims" tell me otherwise.

... Its not just used for handshakes after all...

Roon Sazi

I used to have anger issues up until about a year ago when I learned to be more comfortable with myself and not really give a shit about what people say or do towards me so typically I can avoid fights. That said, if I ever get forced into a fight then I'm going to do my best to fuck the other guy up as much as possible. I understand the whole not killing someone part but I will not stop until the other person won't even think about touching me or someone i care about again and if that means broken limbs or worse then so be it.

Azure

I used to have anger issues up until about a year ago when I learned to be more comfortable with myself and not really give a shit about what people say or do towards me so typically I can avoid fights. That said, if I ever get forced into a fight then I'm going to do my best to fuck the other guy up as much as possible. I understand the whole not killing someone part but I will not stop until the other person won't even think about touching me or someone i care about again and if that means broken limbs or worse then so be it.
i kick them in the face repeatedly, because then they can never say that they almost had you, and theyll remember that for the rest of their life.

KatmanDu

Squeezing the Charmin
Laws on the books are often convoluted and poorly written, but I think Georgia's law on use of force pretty much sums up my feelings on it:

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
Hard as this may be to believe I'm not usually a violent individual. That being said I have no qualms about violence when it's needed, and I certainly think it's needed more often than it's currently displayed.

wtfjinx

Medic
It all depends on the situation. I've had knives, guns, bats pulled on me on numerous occasions. One time is too many. If it comes down to it in an argument, My safety is top priority. I carry concealed all the time (except at work, due to SOPS not allowing it). If you are gonna come at me, you'll meet the end of my gun to stop you. I will try to talk it down, but if I fear for my life, I have every right to keep myself safe.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I don't actually know, and I won't flex here with any suppositions. The only time it has happened was so many years ago, and honestly one cannot consider school fights the violence of the real world.

I do my absolute best to avoid violence, and it's worked quite well for me. Situational awareness is key to avoiding trouble.

Plantar

Soaked In Sin
I'm the furthest I can be from violence but if I really needed to, I wouldn't hesitate to fight. I don't think I'd be able to kill someone if I needed to though, I don't even like harming anyone in any way and even if I was in a threatening situation, that's just something you remember for the rest of your life. :I

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
I'd only use violence for self-defense. And I won't be attempting to harm them badly.

I spent 8+ years training Taekwondo and Karate for a reason. :|

badlands

drunken pirate
I will use violence to defend myself or others. Strange thing is I'm likely to use more force (probably too much force) defending someone else than I am defending myself.

wtfjinx

Medic
Personally, I don't think learning any martial art is beneficial in real world situations. They -are- great for self discipline and a wonderful learning experience Sure, they might help out some, but 9 times out of 10 you are in a controlled setting, in a well let room, doing choreographed moves. Some martial arts do promote real-world scenarios, such as Krav Maga and some Akido and Jiu-Jitsu. But every instructor is different, and I wouldn't paint it with a broad brush.

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
I don't support violence at all (ok no one does... bad intro).
But I believe that no kind of violence has any justification, except for self-defense. Unfortunately, there are people who believe they are better than the others, or just like to start some mess, for whatever random reason they have... And then, there are these people, who politely stand against those self-righteous punk-asses.

As for me, just like most people, I had my fights in school, on my way home, in my neighbourhood, and such. But those were kid fights... well, those things that after a few years don't really matter to you anymore.
As for a real fight scene, never had one, and surely hope to never have to. I'm a pacifist, I like not to be disturbed nor harassed, since I don't disturb nor harass anyone. Although there was a time when I was on subway to school, a guy was trash-talking to me just because I happen to have a tattoo in my left-backhand. At first I didn't pay any attention to the guy 'cause he was clearly drunk... but when he started to pull my headphones off and talking serious crap I was getting on my nerves, but politely asked him to stop the scene, because I didn't know him and wanted some peace. This situation lasted about 5 stations, The guy continued the trash-talk and started shoving his chest against my shoulder. When I was about to lose my patience, I yelled at him and told him once again to cut it out. Just after that, the train stopped in another station, and a Security Official approached and took the guy away.

Honestly, I don't know how long I would endure that, especially due to my psychological state back then (I was really, really fragile...), and I don't really know what I would do. I don't know my limits, I don't know my strength. Hence why I prefer not to be involved in any kind of violent confrontations.

As of today... well, still a pacifist, with a lot more patience than I used to have, plus the fact that I don't give a sh*t to what people say about and to me. So... basically, ignoring idiots, moving on... that's how I escape from Violent situations, and hope to never have to fight.

If someone was trying beat me up then I would knock their ass out. If someone tried to ​kill me or harm any one in my family. That would be the last thing they ever do. I would see to it that they die a slow painful death.

I come from a family of rednecks. We can be the best people you ever know but, the second you fuck with us, its over.

Now here is the part were you all call me an evil person for making this post. I know its coming and I don't give a shit.

Azure

To you. ^^
sparring with friends does not translate to winning a bloody, chaotic, nasty fight. the training room is nowhere near reality. but its good exercise, i suppose.

Schwimmwagen

sparring with friends does not translate to winning a bloody, chaotic, nasty fight. the training room is nowhere near reality. but its good exercise, i suppose.

This, really. Save for stuff like Krav Maga which is used by the IDF, SAS, and Batman, a lot of fighting techniques are developed for sport and were used as an old-timey way to settle arguments, or just exercise and an excuse to make money.

They're not gonna save you from a rabid luchadore.

Or a revolver.

Kosdu

This, really. Save for stuff like Krav Maga which is used by the IDF, SAS, and Batman, a lot of fighting techniques are developed for sport and were used as an old-timey way to settle arguments, or just exercise and an excuse to make money.

Or a revolver.

It really depends on the person. Some people can take what they learn in the dojo, and apply it on the streets.

It's like MMA, not like on the streets, it seems, but it'll leave you off better than nothing.

Like if you could pull of this in a fight:
http://youtu.be/72pBCMzwhJI

The best thing is experience in applying what you know to real world scenarios. Like me, haven't done it, I have no idea how I'd do in a fight or whether I could use what I have learned in it.

Thankfully at my dojo, we are very practical minded about things. It's not a competition thing.

I'm half-way considering visiting the fight club in Pocatello, Idaho. Closest thing to a real fight you could realiably get, I'd say.

Last edited:

Rilvor

Formal when angry

Or a revolver.

They will, however, make you scream like Goku when your Techniques fail to save you from a 4.5 million volt stungun anyone can buy for less than your classes cost.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
It's a complex algorithm of necessity of force, potential risks/benefits (legal, social and personal) of violence vs. nonviolence, what I think of the 'other guy', and how much I really want to deal with these considerations at the time.