• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Voting furries

Drake_TigerClaw

Drunken Pirate
Well just for a bit of technical BS from me, the US is not really a Democracy. In fact we don’t want to be a democracy because democracies fail and in essence are lynch mobs. What we are is a Democratically elected Representative Republic meaning that we vote for our representatives and that we have a president. Democracy was seen by the founding fathers as a really bad idea, and it is, the word only came into wide use for the US in the last century.

Although the democratically elected part often confuses a lot of people when it comes to the election of the president because the real vote for president is not democratic, the states all let people vote for who the state will vote for but they didn’t have to. Also the senate did not used to be publicly elected, the House was the representative body of the people and the Senate was the representative body of the state governments.

The constitution is a fascinating document huh?

furryskibum

I'm proud to have voted for a quality US Senate candidate.

He won by a <1% margin, and put the Senate at 50 Democrats and 49 Republicans, still waiting on Virginia.

Rhainor

Rawr.
Wakboth said:
Congratulations to all of you who voted; active participation, even if only via the vote, keeps the democracy working!

The United States of America is not a democracy, it's a democratic republic; there's a difference.

Among other things, in order for it to be a true democracy, we'd have to get rid of the electoral college, and go purely with the popular vote.

Zentio

Fluffy Bunbutts
I was gonna vote, then I realised that no matter who won, Michigan was gonna go down the crapper either way...
So I just sat at home.

Aikon

insanityJ said:
well i realy want george bush to GTFO

Me too, but he's not going anywhere for another two years. Sucks.

Wakboth

Drake_TigerClaw said:
Well just for a bit of technical BS from me, the US is not really a Democracy.

Rhainor said:
The United States of America is not a democracy, it's a democratic republic; there's a difference.

Obviously, you were awake at the civics class! However, I'm using "democracy" as a shorthand for a "representational government", here; it's hardly an unusual usage of the word. :)

Faukx

i didn't vote, but im glad the republicans lost. Down with Bush!
srry, am not a Bush fan.
And indeed, democrasy does not alway's work. we have elections the upcoming week. anything wil be better then the current Minister President we have now :p

Hex

I voted for the first time ever on Tuesday. :3 I was gad to see most of the voters chose paper over Diebold (although that may have been due to the fact that four Diebolds had 'out of order' hanging on them...). Yay for participating in the Democratic process.