• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

VPN Thread

WanderingAimlessly

*speed of link noises*
I'm currently using NordVPN however I am considering switching to Mullvad due to privacy concerns. What are you using currently and what is your opinion on said VPN?

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
Nothing from me yet. I am considering it merely for bypassing an NAT issue I can't fix any other way because I was expressly forbidden from touching the router here (so I can't do port forwards for games that absolutely require it).

Any recommendations for a VPN that's exclusively for this purpose?

WanderingAimlessly

*speed of link noises*
Nothing from me yet. I am considering it merely for bypassing an NAT issue I can't fix any other way because I was expressly forbidden from touching the router here (so I can't do port forwards for games that absolutely require it).

Hamanchi (I think that is what it is called) lets you port forward for games but requires others to be on it as well so it isn't all that effective.

SnowBorne

try ngrok

Firuthi Dragovic

try ngrok
That one appears to be an enterprise solution. This isn't me developing the games, just playing them multiplayer.

I'm currently torn between going with NordVPN and Surfshark. Surfshark has fewer restrictions on devices but NordVPN is more stable as I understand it.

Admittedly I have a slight soft spot for Surfshark at the moment because it apparently goes through the British Virgin Isles - and I have PERSONAL experience with how much of a pain it is to try to associate anything there with anyone in particular.

Rimna

Well-known Monkey
Be careful when using a VPN. If it's a widely-used VPN provider, it will raise red flags to high heaven whenever you use an online service. If you use it for gaming, for example, and something happens to your account or email, the chances of you recovering your account are close to none. Everyone and their mother will be able to tell it's not a regular IP. Well - server-side anyway. Unless you're really good.

If you do use a VPN service of some sort, you can test it on IP quality checkers. Chances are, it's going to be recognized as a VPN and potentially marked as high-risk or even blacklisted. https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-ip-lookup-proxy-vpn-test this for example is a good site to check your VPN's IP address.

Firuthi Dragovic

Be careful when using a VPN. If it's a widely-used VPN provider, it will raise red flags to high heaven whenever you use an online service. If you use it for gaming, for example, and something happens to your account or email, the chances of you recovering your account are close to none. Everyone and their mother will be able to tell it's not a regular IP. Well - server-side anyway. Unless you're really good.

If you do use a VPN service of some sort, you can test it on IP quality checkers. Chances are, it's going to be recognized as a VPN and potentially marked as high-risk or even blacklisted. https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-ip-lookup-proxy-vpn-test this for example is a good site to check your VPN's IP address.
The irony being that when talking to a friend about this subject, he mentioned that there are some popular games where people will actually gank your IP and use it (potentially for ill).

Apparently a common problem with GTA V (of which I will never touch the multiplayer, that's the example they gave).

Mirko

I've always preferred using proxies over VPNs. They are more stable and reliable, and I also like the fact that you can choose specific locations for the proxy. Plus, I've found some really great deals on proxies like https://soax.com/german-web-proxy, which offer a ton of functionality for a very reasonable price. I do understand the privacy concerns that come with using a VPN, and I think it's definitely worth considering options like Mullvad if that's a priority for you. Ultimately, it just comes down to what works best for your needs and preferences.

Last edited: