• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

VR PC Build Video card question

DrakkenWulf

Parent Fur
Howdy folks. I'm doing a PC build intended for VR. This is my first build. Am I correct in thinking that to support anything VR related I should be spending $800 minimum for card alone? I'm preferring AMD right now.

I'm finding things like
Anything that's actually available is minimum $800.
Am I mathing this right? What do you folks use?

The GPU market is really bad right now with short supply directly from the factories and another mining boom that is taking place, it has caused a giant domino effect as a whole and even just entry level gaming cards are picked dried in many places, causing older cards that aren't suitable for VR to go up in price as well.

If you're just after starting VR and messing around, there are quite some old cards that in theory supports it, you could on some games make do with an old 970 from Nvidia(obviously not recommended today). It's a bit a matter of what you aim for and money you wish to spend. But if you're serious about VR and you're team AMD, I wouldn't be recommending anything below a 5700 or 5700XT if you could find one used for a decent price, and unless you need one right here and now, you might be better off waiting and see when the 6700/6700xt becomes available if you can get one.

I myself played some VR using a vive headset on my 1070ti and it did just fine in the few titles I tried, so you don't really need anything amazing if you just want to pick up VR and play today. I know a lot of people have success with things like 1060(6GB ver) from nvidia in the likes of HL alyx, but it struggles a bit on the highest settings. In general it's a big "all depends".

Since the prices are a bit jacked up right now everything will be a bit more expensive and it might not come down in a while if we're unlucky, maybe a bit more stable prices back again after Summer.

Hound-of-chulainn

For most things, you can get away with a 1050ti/1060. I had great results with a Vega 56, but it depends on what kind of headset you're running mostly. To put it in perspective, my 1920x1080 monitor is showing roughly 2 million pixels 60 times a second. My Oculus Quest has two 1440x1600 displays showing roughly 4.6 million pixels 72 times a second, which is over double as many pixels what a standard gaming monitor uses, and needs to show it faster so you don't get headaches.

You'll have trouble getting powerful hardware of any kind this year. If you're looking at running an index or pimax 8k, or another headset with a high resolution screen, you'll need stronger hardware to for it, but you don't need it unless you want to run everything on the highest settings. :)

DrakkenWulf

Parent Fur
This was really informative, thanks folks. I’m using it to drive a v1 Quest for development purposes so a little underpowered is okay.

Thanks!

dhi

Boop Squad
Howdy folks. I'm doing a PC build intended for VR. This is my first build. Am I correct in thinking that to support anything VR related I should be spending $800 minimum for card alone? I'm preferring AMD right now.

I'm finding things like
Anything that's actually available is minimum $800.
Am I mathing this right? What do you folks use?
Depends on which headset you use. If you use Valve Index, you need a card around $1100, but if like a Rift S, $800 is really good. It will be hard to find one, because the tech industry is bad right now. I would wait.