• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Want a new phone for my B-Day.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I am turning 30 soon, and I want to exchange my crappy Samsung Galaxy J-3 eclipse for a better model. I want...

- a good gaming phone that can play all the latest games and whatnot.

- a phone with a decent amount of storage.

- hopefully a voice function that actually works properly.

- my budget is $800.

RykerTheRacc

Ryker: Bored cuz of school starting up again soon.
Hello! I currently have an LG G7 ThinQ as my phone. I can't remember the exact model, but that's why Google exists!

It works pretty well, when I first got it, apps downloaded insanely fast on a 4G connection, about full service I believe.

Some basic features are:
Headphone jack (3.5mm), USB-C changing (Wireless charging and fast-charging enabled, I recommend using a laptop charger), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, mobile hotspot, QuickMemo+ (a notes app), and Google Assistant.

It has 64GB of storage and a MicroSD card slot on the top of the device, it comes with a special key. I'm not sure the reading limit for the SD, I'd say 128 if I had to guess, but don't quote me on it.

The camera is pretty good too, zooming in does decrease the quality insanely, however.

It does get warm from extending gaming time with games like ROBLOX, Minecraft, or CoD Mobile. If you take an ice pack and rest the device on it, that works perfectly. It has Bluetooth so you can hook up a controller/keyboard+mouse/what have you and use that while you have the ice pack. If you don't have a bluetooth controller, you can buy a USB-A to USB-C adapter for a wired device (cobtroller, keyboard, etc)

I'm unsure of how much my phone cost (my grandfather bought it for me), but I believe it was $750, but it may have gone up since it's a few years old now.

It's a good phone, asssuming you take care of it. Get a case, and a screen protector. My screen is basically diamond, I've dropped it face-down so many times, especially on harder surfaces. Still, try not to drop it.

For your convenience, LG provided a button on the side that activates the built-in Google Assistant. It is a little touchy when you don't have a case, but it works well.

Speaking of not having a case, it does have back glass so be careful without a case.

Miscellaneous features:
- Fingerprint sensor. If you have a screen lock (like a passcode), you have the option of using the fingerprint sensor (located on the back of the device).
- Waterproofing. I believe it's 6m for 30mins.

To wrap up, good phone for moderate gaming. It's a phone, so it works as one.

I rate it 9/10, as it gets kinda bleh when you use up the storage almost all the was like I totally haven't done (yes I did). It's reliable. It's a phone. Hell, I'm using it right now to type this entire thing!

Hope this helped you with your decision!

Hound-of-chulainn

So the phone I used to use was a Moto Hyper. it's like 400-500 CAD but I got a deal on it from my Carrier for like $200. It's super good hardware wise, 128gb of storage with a microsd card slot, lasts 2-4 days on a charge, has fingerprint reader and a retractable 32MP selfie camera and a 64MP wide angle / 8MP ultrawide angle camera in the back. The retractable camera was pretty fun to play with at first. It also has a 45w "hyper" charger they sell separately to charge the phone stupidly fast, but the 18w charger it comes with still charges it fully in like an hour or so. Only downside is the screen was hardened glass not the fancy gorrila glass you normally see on phones. I accidentally dropped in on concrete and it cracked a little, and then it slipped off my bed once and spiderwebbed. But I also had a really cheap case from amazon, so that was my bad. I'm running a OnePlus Nord right now and I hate it. It was like $390, but it's super sluggish and the UI feels really buggy. Not to mention the high res camera is useless, and the other ones it switches to when you zoom suck. (I miss taking pictures of my cat without getting up close to bug her T_T).Once the replacement parts finally come in from China I might move back to the Moto and sell the OP.

A good website to use for shopping around on phones is GSM Arena, you can compare different models side by side and it'll give you a picture of how much better certain phones are.
Hello! I currently have an LG G7 ThinQ as my phone. I can't remember the exact model, but that's why Google exists!

It works pretty well, when I first got it, apps downloaded insanely fast on a 4G connection, about full service I believe.

Some basic features are:
Headphone jack (3.5mm), USB-C changing (Wireless charging and fast-charging enabled, I recommend using a laptop charger), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, mobile hotspot, QuickMemo+ (a notes app), and Google Assistant.

It has 64GB of storage and a MicroSD card slot on the top of the device, it comes with a special key. I'm not sure the reading limit for the SD, I'd say 128 if I had to guess, but don't quote me on it.

The camera is pretty good too, zooming in does decrease the quality insanely, however.

It does get warm from extending gaming time with games like ROBLOX, Minecraft, or CoD Mobile. If you take an ice pack and rest the device on it, that works perfectly. It has Bluetooth so you can hook up a controller/keyboard+mouse/what have you and use that while you have the ice pack. If you don't have a bluetooth controller, you can buy a USB-A to USB-C adapter for a wired device (cobtroller, keyboard, etc)

I'm unsure of how much my phone cost (my grandfather bought it for me), but I believe it was $750, but it may have gone up since it's a few years old now.

It's a good phone, asssuming you take care of it. Get a case, and a screen protector. My screen is basically diamond, I've dropped it face-down so many times, especially on harder surfaces. Still, try not to drop it.

For your convenience, LG provided a button on the side that activates the built-in Google Assistant. It is a little touchy when you don't have a case, but it works well.

Speaking of not having a case, it does have back glass so be careful without a case.

Miscellaneous features:
- Fingerprint sensor. If you have a screen lock (like a passcode), you have the option of using the fingerprint sensor (located on the back of the device).
- Waterproofing. I believe it's 6m for 30mins.

To wrap up, good phone for moderate gaming. It's a phone, so it works as one.

I rate it 9/10, as it gets kinda bleh when you use up the storage almost all the was like I totally haven't done (yes I did). It's reliable. It's a phone. Hell, I'm using it right now to type this entire thing!

Hope this helped you with your decision!
Cool thing about SD cards, is that modern devices usually only cap out at 32gb. If it can read 64gb cards, theoretically it can handle up to 2tb whenever they get that large (only 1tb cards exist right now, but a year or so ago the largest was 500gb). Apparently they're also already working on support for cards from 2tb up to 128tb, but I can't see people needing that for a phone in our lifetime, my entire computer has like 7tb of storage.

RykerTheRacc

I'm glad to see that you have made a purchase decision! My phone isn't the best but I'm very happy you found something. I'm sorry to hear about the glass, it's unfortunate. Hopefully you can get that replaced! My camera is somewhat good, it can get excellent photos but it id immediately ruined by zooming in. And I'd enjoy taking pictures of kiiykats all day, and I'd not wanna disturb them too. Wait, retractable camera? That's an interesting thing for a cell phone.

GSM Arena, eh? Would they have old models such as a Motorola Droid 2/3? I've been wanting one of those for a long time now, and been tracking one on EBay.

I knew we had like 1TB cards, but THAT recently? Wow!

RykerTheRacc

I'm glad to see that you have made a purchase decision! My phone isn't the best but I'm very happy you found something. I'm sorry to hear about the glass, it's unfortunate. Hopefully you can get that replaced! My camera is somewhat good, it can get excellent photos but it id immediately ruined by zooming in. And I'd enjoy taking pictures of kiiykats all day, and I'd not wanna disturb them too. Wait, retractable camera? That's an interesting thing for a cell phone.

GSM Arena, eh? Would they have old models such as a Motorola Droid 2/3? I've been wanting one of those for a long time now, and been tracking one on EBay.

I knew we had like 1TB cards, but THAT recently? Wow!
Feck, I thought you were the same person. I apologise. My mistake.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.