• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Wanted: Mars colonists to explore red planet in 2023

Saga

absolutely disgusting
What if this actually works and the forgotten people of Mars turn out to have made this empire of thousands with a government a magnetosphere device?

...but they're all the same family.

Kangamutt

What if this actually works and the forgotten people of Mars turn out to have made this empire of thousands with a government a magnetosphere device?

...but they're all the same family.

The generations of incest and weak gravity would make it a very weak empire, ripe for us superior Earth-born humans to arrive and squelch it for ourselves. :V

skyelar

Snowy Fox Butt
That sounds super cool... I almost want to jump on that. Something about leaving "home" though.
I hope that the people that do apply do get to go and have an incredible experience.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
That sounds super cool... I almost want to jump on that. Something about leaving "home" though.
I hope that the people that do apply do get to go and have an incredible experience.
The "never to return to earth" part is quite the catch, though.

thoron

Mmmmm.... I don't know, I think if we focused the resources being used to go to Mars on fixing this planet instead, we might be better off. Personally I think we need to clean up this planet first before we start to moving else where.

Jashwa

I doubt this will ever happen, let alone by 2023. They'll run out of money looooong before then.

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
Yes Azure, yes you can. Weed as far as the eye can see. Fields and fields of weed.

The only problem is that it's RED Weed... apparently it grows "with frightening voraciousness" if it ever gets to Earth, according to a certain H. G. Wells. :)

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
I doubt this will ever happen, let alone by 2023. They'll run out of money looooong before then.
Probably, but it's good to see people are still interested in colonizing the solar system.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
A private company blatantly promotes that it wants to profit off of, then abandon the team of astronauts that would make it eternally (in)famous. What utter fools.

(Reply saying "The astronauts know what's going to happen to them, so it's okay") NO. You do NOT knowingly put people in a situation where they become trapped on a strange planet and if something happens to their base or supplies, there is no escape. That is not the company being incapable to figuring out how to get the astronauts home, it's the company being too cheap to spend the time and money to develop a safe way of shipping these astronauts back to Earth.

This is why it's such a travesty that NASA's funding is being cut. Space travel is such an important endeavor and is so expensive that only a government entity, or an entity directly funded by the government, can develop the tools to explore outer space in the safest and most efficient way possible.

("But what about the Challenger/Columbia disasters?" Because NASA's budget has slowly been cut over the decades as more of its operations are privatized.)

Hmm...

Let me put it this way. You're smart, so you know that as the length of each side of a square increases, the area of the square increases much faster. And as the area of each face of a cube increases, the volume of the cube increases much, much faster.

To get a rocket off mars and back to earth you'd need a lot of fuel. To get this fuel to mars you'd have to take it by rocket, which requires fuel to do so.

With all the fuel you're carrying, you need more fuel to fuel the flight of the fuel you're adding to the fuel to fuel the flight back to earth.

I.E - shipping the guys back from Mars to Earth requires fuel. This fuel can't be brought from earth because it takes fuel to fuel the extra weight.

I.E.I.E - The more fuel you add (with the aim of bringing them back), the more fuel you need to fuel the flight. And the more fuel you add, the more fuel you need to add to balance the weight of the extra fuel you added. You also need more capacity which means more materials in the rocket, which adds more weight -- do you see the viscious cycle, here?

Recel

Mamma Yeena
My biggest problem with this is a rather simple one. Non profit or not, they send sixteen people to Mars so they can get more data that they can use for profit in the future. These people will be left there. No supplies, no hopes of expanding the colony because of no resources and no ways to get and refine those needed resources. No laws or any authority to help is someone snaps and starts murdering others. And no hopes it will ever change because they will be just left there to rot.

So essentially, they are sending sixteen people to die to gain data which they can use for profit later.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
10 years? Really? I'm thinking that's an overly optimistic estimate. It's a number you hear about just about everything new and cool that people are working on: it'll be ready in 5-10 years. And people have been saying that for decades (except for nuclear fusion energy: that one always takes 50 years). So that figure makes me suspicious. Even the 2035 date our government is setting sounds a little iffy to me, just knowing where we're at in terms of budget and time invested in studying all the things we need to figure out ahead of time in order to not end up with a dusty corpse-filled ghost-base in the sands of Mars (as awesomely creepy and Doom-ish as that sounds). But fine, if they want a go at it, that would be lovely. I just wouldn't get on that one myself; sounds like a rush-job to me, and I wouldn't take that risk.
But I would totally go to Mars.

Tigercougar

Mmmmm.... I don't know, I think if we focused the resources being used to go to Mars on fixing this planet instead, we might be better off. Personally I think we need to clean up this planet first before we start to moving else where.

Life isn't an either-or proposition. We can fix things on planet Earth and explore new horizons elsewhere at the same time. With that kind of thinking, 'Why waste resources doing x-new thing when we can work on fixing x-old thing,' mankind would not have evolved to the point where it is now. The reason the world is the way it is is not because of diversions such as this funded by private companies, it's the fact that the super-rich hoard most of the world's wealth and thus control to a large degree what does and does not get funding. In a more equal society, this conversation would be a moot point.

Hmm...

Let me put it this way. You're smart, so you know that as the length of each side of a square increases, the area of the square increases much faster. And as the area of each face of a cube increases, the volume of the cube increases much, much faster.

To get a rocket off mars and back to earth you'd need a lot of fuel. To get this fuel to mars you'd have to take it by rocket, which requires fuel to do so.

With all the fuel you're carrying, you need more fuel to fuel the flight of the fuel you're adding to the fuel to fuel the flight back to earth.

I.E - shipping the guys back from Mars to Earth requires fuel. This fuel can't be brought from earth because it takes fuel to fuel the extra weight.

I.E.I.E - The more fuel you add (with the aim of bringing them back), the more fuel you need to fuel the flight. And the more fuel you add, the more fuel you need to add to balance the weight of the extra fuel you added. You also need more capacity which means more materials in the rocket, which adds more weight -- do you see the viscious cycle, here?

This is why establishing a lunar base first would make more sense than going to Mars directly. Fuel can be produced with the material available on the moon, at least theoretically, and since it takes little effort and there for little fuel to escape the moon it would be possible to ship large quantities of fuel and other supplies to Mars with very little fuel demand.

Schwimmwagen

I hope it all goes as planned.

If the population of the colony was large enough, I'd consider moving there if I had the choice.

Dreaming

Are these the same people that thought we'd be living on the moon by 2000? 10 years in advance seems a little early to be plotting out any astronaut requirements though

thoron

Life isn't an either-or proposition. We can fix things on planet Earth and explore new horizons elsewhere at the same time. With that kind of thinking, 'Why waste resources doing x-new thing when we can work on fixing x-old thing,' mankind would not have evolved to the point where it is now. The reason the world is the way it is is not because of diversions such as this funded by private companies, it's the fact that the super-rich hoard most of the world's wealth and thus control to a large degree what does and does not get funding. In a more equal society, this conversation would be a moot point.

I'm speaking from an enviromental perspective, not the political/societal.

Are these the same people that thought we'd be living on the moon by 2000? 10 years in advance seems a little early to be plotting out any astronaut requirements though

The 2023 date is probably a publicity stunt more than anything. I wouldn't think they're actually expecting to be there by then, at least I would hope this is the case.

Tigercougar

I'm speaking from an enviromental perspective, not the political/societal.

You cannot fix the environmental without taking care of the political/societal first. Society as it stands is the reason why we are not making enough progress on learning how to effectively protect and manage the environment.

thoron

You cannot fix the environmental without taking care of the political/societal first. Society as it stands is the reason why we are not making enough progress on learning how to effectively protect and manage the environment.

So what business do we as a species have colonizing another planet before we're even capable of taking care of our home world? I'm not saying we should never try to go to other planets, but its misplaced resources when there are so many problems here on Earth that could benefit from those same resources.

skyelar

Snowy Fox Butt
So what business do we as a species have colonizing another planet before we're even capable of taking care of our home world? I'm not saying we should never try to go to other planets, but its misplaced resources when there are so many problems here on Earth that could benefit from those same resources.

Sometimes we need to branch out and look at things from a different point of view to learn how to fix our own problems?
I don't know, I just don't feel that sitting around and arguing about how to fix our planet has gotten us anywhere in the last 20 years...

Zydrate Junkie

Name and rank soldier!
Well for all you people who say "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" now's your chance!