• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Was anyone else terrified of mascots when they were a kid?

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
When I was a kid I thought that the mascots at the disney parks and other places were terrifying. Now I find most fursuits to be adorable. Is anyone else like this. If you want to put terrifying mascot pictures here I guess thats fine too.

Schrodinger'sMeerkat

trash mammal
When I was VERY young, yes. I was maybe 2 or 3 and this local grocery store had someone dressed up as an Oreo to promote them. To this day, my mother still loves to remind me of how I screamed and screamed and wouldn't let go of her until we left the store. Maybe it was just a bad costume or I was just young. I remember we went to King's Island when I was a little older. At the time it had some kind of deal with Hannah Barbara and there were people in Hannah Barbara character costumes all over the place and they didn't scare me. There was an event at a local mall where they were promoting the Disney store. People in Disney costumes came to pose for pictures. My mom has a pic somewhere of 8 year old me and someone in a Timon costume. I wasn't crazy about him but wasn't scared either.

Khafra

Heave away, haul away
Yep, similar deal to clowns in my case. And while now I don't dislike fursuits, I doubt I'll ever involve myself in that part of the hobby.

Green_Brick

Krita user
When I was a little boy, my mother and I went to DisneyLand and I found The Beast from Beauty and The Beast to be horrifying. Even though it was just a person in a costume, my mother and I still have a photo of the three of us in a group picture. I was not happy when the photo was taken. I was looking at the camera, but... my face did not express happiness...

Schrodinger'sMeerkat

trash mammal
The early Mickey and Minnie mouse costumes when Disneyland first opened were horrifying. Disney didn't think to have costumes specifically made to promote Disneyland, but this ice skating troupe wanted to do a Disney character themed show and made some costumes for it. Disney asked if he could use them for the grand opening of Disney Land. What he did not know was that the ice skating costumes were "modified" to make it easer for the skaters to see out of by cutting holes into them. You couldn't see the holes from the audience of the ice skating show, but up close you could.

They did make new costumes eventually but those weren't any better. https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/comments/6z622p

Last edited:

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
The early Mickey and Minnie mouse costumes when Disneyland first opened were horrifying. Disney didn't think to have costumes specifically made to promote Disneyland, but this ice skating troupe wanted to do a Disney character themed show and made some costumes for it. Disney asked if he could use them for the grand opening of Disney Land. What he did not know was that the ice skating costumes were "modified" to make it easer for the skaters to see out of by cutting holes into them. You couldn't see the holes from the audience of the ice skating show, but up close you could.

They did make new costumes eventually but those weren't any better. https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/comments/6z622p
They have continued to make creepy characters over the years:
WSC%2BCharacters.JPG
2012fantasyland3.jpeg

BOP8879935.jpg

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Hmm. Can't say I ever were. The Groke from Moomin scared the everliving shit out of me for years though.

Glume

I'm still afraid of mascots and its problematic. I'm nearing 40 ffs. Its not my fault! On several, unrelated occasions, mascots have targeted me, and literally chased me around venues. I think they can smell my fear.

Nexus Cabler

\ ( :v ) /
I don't think I ever was scared of them. I remember the time my family took me to Disney land, and I hugged a couple of the mascots I saw (They were the animal ones. I would probably be scared by a human looking mascot to be honest).

My parents were with me the whole time, so I think that helped eliminate any worries I would have.

Last edited:

Marius Merganser

The Duke of Birds
I didn't really go to amusement parks when I was little, so I never really saw them.
But just before Covid reached the US, I was in Disney World and got my picture taken with Scrooge McDuck, Launchpad McQuack, three different Donalds, two Daisys, Goofy, and some random mouse couple.