• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Was Walt Disney a furry and was Mickey Mouse his Fursona?

Stay Fluft

So many cats, such a little time.
I thought it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts. I’m sure I’m not the first person to ask this but I still find it interesting.

Was Walt Disney a furry and is Mickey Mouse his fursona?

I know that Mickey Mouse was not Walt Disney’s first character… but he obviously meant a great deal to him and he even voiced Mickey Mouse. It’s almost hard to even separate the two. Even though the terminology wasn’t around back then I kind of think it fits the bill. What does everyone else think?

Leadhoof

Geneva what? I thought conventions were canceled.
wp-content.jpg

I think Enki would disagree.

But to answer your other question, yeah. I could totally see Walt as a furry.

Last edited:

Stay Fluft

So many cats, such a little time.
View attachment 120892

I think Enki would disagree.
Good call… I meant for the title of this thread to be a little bit of a hyperbole based on modern media culture I guess. I guess I unintentionally made kind of a Clickbait title… I should have just titled it.. “Is Walt Disney a Furry”

I’m more interested in rather or not people would consider Walt Disney a furry and if Mickey Mouse is his fursona. I know there is a lot of art all throughout the history of man.

Minerva_Minx

Succumbing to her own psychosis
Define furry. I mean this could go back to Aten/Horus, Inanna, Quetzalcoatl, etc, if defined loose enough.

Personally, no, since furry and fursona are recent inventions from the happy horror show that was the 80s. He knew how to make money and animation was a pioneering art form where you could have characters do things that couldn't be done with real actors and actresses. I would say he partly inspired the furry and fursona sub-culture, but otherwise, no. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies was a good start towards people liking and possibly identifying with "furry characters", however, as a whole, the fandom probably the 1967 Jungle Book and 1973 Robin Hood planted the seeds for having anthropomorphic relatable characters.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Maybe not Walt himself but others like the married voice actor's (Minnie and Mickey) might have made that a thing/encouraged others to pair themselves up as cutesy animals?

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
I'd say since the moment humans began personifying animals, we entered the door of what we associate the furry fandom with today.

And that goes waaaaaaaay back. Ah, the memories.

As for Disney and Mickey, I'd say it's possible, but not certain.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Was Walt Disney a furry, and was Mickey Mouse his fursona? Basically, yes, and basically, yes.

I'd also say Mel Blanc and Chuck Jones were technically furries, too.

Oh, and that fascinating photo is unfortunately not authentic, but the origin of the photo is unknown:

The genuine Mickey and Minnie fursuits that debuted in 1955 are actually WORSE:

main_1500.jpg

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Was Walt Disney a furry, and was Mickey Mouse his fursona? Basically, yes, and basically, yes.

I'd also say Mel Blanc and Chuck Jones were technically furries, too.

Oh, and that fascinating photo is unfortunately not authentic, but the origin of the photo is unknown:

The genuine Mickey and Minnie fursuits that debuted in 1955 are actually WORSE:

main_1500.jpg
I forgot about Chuck Jones and Mel Banc. I remember seeing a lot of their works on the Boomerang channel for cable TV.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
WOW... Seeing these photos just made me realise how advanced fursuit manufacturing techniques are nowadays... OWO

Bring me any 'horribly made' fursuit of 21st century and I'm sure the Mickey and Minnie fursuits can crush most of them in terms of ...yea.

No offense to anyone eligible (and I can't even come up with anyone particular), but hey... We all know that our minds say "Umm.." upon certain stuff, and I think the pics above tell us it's one of them.

However, at the end of the day, I won't ignore the fact that they were one of the 'ancestors' that gave us this future. I believe so!

Last edited:

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
My hot take is that many of the furry-made fursuits of Disney characters are better than the official suits---with the exception of the official Stitch suit, which is adorable.