• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Wasn't Arcturus supposed to be perma-banned?

thecrypto

Arcturus has been unbanned because after reconsidering the situtation in which he was banned under and other circumstances that came up over the past couple of days, the administration team has come to the conclusion that he is to be unbanned.

Arcturus will be acting as a white hat for the development team as well. He will be looking for security holes and informing us of them so they can be fixed.

The administration team will be keeping a close eye on him and if he does step out of line he will be banned again according to the new rules.

Thaily

Has the administration considered that due to Arc's obvious untrustworthy nature he's likely to only tip you off on a few small security holes and leave the considerable ones open for the next time he gets banned for being a twat so he can get himself unbanned again in this manner?

In fact, isn't that what he's already done in the past?

thecrypto

If Arcturus or any other hacker is banned from the site, they will cause more damage. Banning does not stop them from hurting the site.

The decision was made between having constant attacks or making a compromise and having a possible ally. Arcturus was willing to become an ally and we extended the olive branch in return.

This decision was not made in haste. Please reconsider your judgement.

thecrypto

Thaily said:

There is certainly a possiblity that he will attempt something like that. But at least I am willing to give him one more chance. There are other reasons I am willing to do that that I shall not reveal in public channels but I assure you that we are safer now.

Thaily

Wow, how many chances does that make?
I like how he'll hack the site to ban someone who made a single mistake but he uses up "chances" like a fanboy goes through Twinkies.
Does everyone get the same amount of chances? Or only if they commit illegal acts?

thecrypto

KurtBatz said:
Does the administration team neither know about OR CARE that at the same time as 'acting as a white hat', Arc is being sued for art theft due to his redistrubition of copyrighted materials on his WTFfur site? (Giza will confirm)

I am well aware about WTFur and the other activities that Arcturus has been up to. But what does art theft have anything to do with an art site? Even if Arcturus gained access to the entire database somehow, all he would have access to is the images anyone else can get off the site. I do not support WTFur but I do not believe that helping us is in any way hindered by these other activities.

thecrypto

Thaily said:
Does everyone get the same amount of chances? Or only if they commit illegal acts?

As far as I know Arcturus is the only user with a permanant ban. He is getting what I think is his second chance as far as I know. I don't know the entire history but I am willing to give him one chance under this.

He is not getting any sort of special treatment, if we banned anyone for any other reason and we later figure we were wrong in our judgement or the rules change, we will unban.

thecrypto

KurtBatz said:
How many bad reasons do you want for allowing Arcturus to remain on furaffinity? Hacking Preyfar's administrative account? Pulling down the site and uploading retarded images on the front page? 10,000 users being affected every time he pulls off one of his script kiddy stunts?

All of the above things occured during the previous ban. As shown by that, the bans are obviously not stopping him from doing anything against the site. So as I said above. It was either removing the ban and getting a possible ally or continuing the ban and having the problems just continue to occur. I believe that this is the better response.

thecrypto

KurtBatz said:
Wait, so this is YOUR decision alone?

No it was not my decision alone. I did make the deal but it was discussed between myself and members of the administration team before it went through.

KurtBatz said:
You just said you don't know his history and as far as you're aware, this is his second chance. I've personally lost count of the number of warnings Arcturus has received in this past.

Yes, he has been associated as the boogeyman for very long on this site. And a number of the instances that you bring up have been later been proven also not to be him either.

KurtBatz said:
This has to go down in history at the single most stupid decision ever taken by the administration of this site and by god, I hope people pull you up over it.

This decision has been discussed among the entire adminstration staff and we have decided that this is the best solution for the moment. If they want to pull me out over this I will gladly take my leave.

thecrypto

KurtBatz said:
To me, it's rewarding a moron for attacking the site. That's all it is. You should get someone in who knows what they're doing to plug up the security holes and stop being so damn lenient with people who don't have the interests of the site at heart.

Two parts to this. If he was a moron, would it be possible for him to attack the site? I don't think so, we have been closing things off left and right at every possiblity so it's been harder and harder to find the new holes to get in on.

We have been closing off holes whenever we find ones and we find a few every few days. It's good progress and they are being closed off. But I don't have enough time to hack the site myself and neither do other people on the staff. We can fix holes when they come to us.

thecrypto

KurtBatz said:
Okay, kindly cut the bullshit and admit Arc was reponsible for the latest outage of Furaffinity.
Yes, Arcturus was responsible for the latest outage of furaffinity. I have no problems admitting that.

KurtBatz said:
That said, are you PURPOSELY trying to infuriate users of this site? How can someone flagrantly spend SO MUCH of his personal time attacking the users of this site, making a mockery of it and be rewarded in this way?

I do not wish to infuriate the users of this site. I do not plan on rewarding him either. We have done nothing other than give him his username back, and even given him more work as he can no longer just hack and bring down the site, but he must inform us of how he did it, or the ban will come down on him again. It is not a reward in the least.

KurtBatz said:
You know the guy is a criminal. You know he'll do it again. You know he has a long history of being a drooling fucktard. Preyfar told me about TWO DAYS ago the ban on Arc was permenant.

The reason he started doing it was because we did not treat him with some modicum of respect. He is not a "drooling fucktard" because otherwise he wouldn't be able to do what he has been possible of doing. And even things thought to be permanant eventually wither away. Things change.

thecrypto

Thaily said:
thecrypto said:
But what does art theft have anything to do with an art site?
You're kidding me right?
Either that or you're on crack cocaine.

I haven't forgotten about this comment. His site is being sued for copyright infringment because of users posting works by artists which do not allow that. It might have been phrased wrong but I don't believe that from anything he might gain from having an account on FurAffinity would hurt any more than any other random user, at which point that user will just have to deal with the consequences of his actions.

thecrypto

Suule said:
Please confirm/deny this: You're a friend of Arcturus.

I am at best a very vauge aquaintence of his. The most we have discussed has mostly involved FurAffinity in some way. I might seem to be defending him in this thread. But this is only because this is my reasoning behind the decision. But there are absolutely no personal feelings between us that are influencing this.