• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Wasn't Arcturus supposed to be perma-banned?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Myr said:
Guildmaster Van said:
As the other admins and mods have already stated, behave and knock off the crude remarks. Make another post like that and you'll be finding yourself on Read-only mode like many other people in this thread.
I happen to agree with Guilmaster Van's comment.

Myr

Big Dragon
Anyone else posting in this thread, if you find yourself on read-only mode it will last for the rest of the night. It is not a ban, but it is an order to take a break and relax. People will line up and duke it out on both sides of this issue and nobody wants to close the thread because this is a legitimate discussion that the admins have even had behind the scenes.

There have been plenty of warnings to keep this discussion calm and civil. Keep it on subject, don't spam garbage, and respect each others' differing opinions. If you find yourself with a red name and set to read-only you probably didn't do the above and take a break for the rest of the night. Your account will be free to write again tomorrow.

Dragoneer said:
I happen to agree with Guilmaster Van's comment.
So do I and he's right on the money with his message. I'm targetting the composition and word choice. That's all.

nobuyuki

I'm intrigued. This thread must be a sort of testing grounds for a new policy regarding heated debates. Off-topic: will we be seeing a public guidelines to which users are being set in read-only mode? It is definately more preferable to the boolean nature of "ban or no ban" of days passed.

Myr

Big Dragon
OT:
nobuyuki said:
I'm intrigued. This thread must be a sort of testing grounds for a new policy regarding heated debates. Off-topic: will we be seeing a public guidelines to which users are being set in read-only mode? It is definately more preferable to the boolean nature of "ban or no ban" of days passed.
You're about to get a PM, but yeah, I was trying to test out read-only to be that buffer between regular use and banning. I wanted to expand it to limit people's access to certain forums or even threads while experimenting with it. It's less harsh than a ban, or so I think.

Evol

I_Own_Charles said:
I AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION HERE THAT NO ONE HAS SEEN THAT ONE MOVIE WITH TOM HANKS AND UH I THINK IT'S LEONARDO DICAPRIO IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN.

YOU KNOW, THE ONE WHERE THE ONE GUY IS A CON ARTIST STEALING ALL THIS MONEY AND THE OTHER GUY IS A COP TRYING TO CATCH HIM?

'CATCH ME IF YOU CAN', METHINKS.

ANYWAYS, AT THE END OF THE MOVIE THE BAD GUY IS ENLISTED BY THE COPS TO TEACH THEM HOW TO SPOT FAKE CHECKS/MONEY BECAUSE HE WAS SO DAMN GOOD AT IT HIMSELF.

IT WAS A GOOD MOVIE, I GIVE IT FIVE STARS. UNLIKE THIS THREAD, I GIVE IT TWO STARS, MAYBE. AND AN ASSTON OF CAPSLOCK.

+fav +watch

Wolfblade

You guys have a supporter.

He wants you all to succeed.

He says you shouldn't give in to blackmail from the individual who more than anything else, represents the largest threat to the continued enjoyment an prosperity of this site and community.

He offers a hundred bucks in a desparate attempt to show you that there are MORE than TWO options here.

So you ban him.

Where you have allowed absolutely disgusting amounts of bashing and flaming against you from people who only want to see this whole thing fail, you ban someone offering to throw money at you to give you an alternative to accepting into the fold someone so absolutely undeniably destructive to this community.

Ain't that a kick in the teeth, and a wonderful message to the community?

Key individuals are allowed to repeatedly and almost constantly cover this community with a layer of low-key hostility and general nastiness. So long as the members of your community simply take the abuse, you see no reason to step in and take action to promote any sort of enjoyable community atmosphere for your peaceful members, instead leaving it open and fun for those who just like ripping on other people and are only "playing around."

You do nothing to defend your users from this: yet when they defend themself or each other, and it becomes a fight, THEN it is something you step into, and you punish both sides, both aggressor and defender.

Now, KurtBatz speaks up to criticise a move you've made. You let some users criticise you endlessly to the point where it is hard to believe they have any interest in this site's well-being, and they're still here. But you don't take no guff from someone who genuinely wants to help but calls you on a bad move.

Might I ask why, please?

Especially since everyone who wasn't just de-adminned seemed to be so damn against ANY sort of banning? But then that's a whole other bag of wtf.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Ahh I see so the offensive language here is ok, only if the person is insulting but "supporting".

I'm sorry but that's a bit hypocritical aside from the situation.

I'm sorry but I also called admins on bad moves, but I have the tact not to use that kind of language, and at least do so with a bit more respect.

It's not about whether or not I personally agree with the situation, but Kurtbatz (and a couple others) should have handled it better.

Silverdragon00

Banned
Banned
RE:  Wasn't Arcturus supposed to be perma-banned?

Arshes Nei said:
Kurtbatz (and a couple others) should have handled it better.

that is a huge understatement! i myself see both sides and i really don't have a very strong opinion of either. However, i say if arcturus fucks up once more, his ass is gone!

beachfox

Dragoneer said:
If this thread continues to spiral downward I will close it. I don't mind discussion of what happened and why, but people need to do so rationally. Do NOT put emotion first. If you can't write without flying off the handle I suggest you reconsider posting, take a break, come back and writer with a clearer conscious.

Look, when I unbanned Arc I knew this was going to be an unpopular decision. That's even how I phrased it to the administrative team. But, given the issues, it may not have been the popular decision, but it was the right one.

I'm not deeply involved in furry politics, and I admit that I'm not overly familiar with a lot of what's going on with this, but just as a surface observation, letting someone who is a known hacker of the site and abuser of the site in as anything other then a simple user is a Bad Bad capital B Bad Idea.

If nothing else, you're rewarded and validating his behavior, which is precisely the wrong thing to do. At best, it's a case of poor judgement, at worse, one of those "uncovered holes" brings down this site.

Again.

Seriously, this is F'ed up. When the feds bring in hackers to help them track down criminals, they're able to hold the threat of Jail Time and Felony Convictions and even Treason over their heads to keep them in line.

I doubt Arcturus has that much to keep him behaving...

Again, this is an Admin decision, not a user one, but honestly. I hope you're right about this. Personally, all my warning bells are going off full blast.

Kattywampus

Miss Wampus, if you're nasty
Guildmaster Van said:
It's either that or scurrying off like a macro cat.
Whoops, I meant gigantic pussy. I always get those two confused.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :x

WolfeByte

RE: The Edmund Fitzgerald

KurtBatz said:
Arc must have his cock in his hand right now, getting no end of jollies over the whopping stupidity of the FA administration team.

I bet he gets quite a rise over folks making such a huge fuss over him too... What, three threads and 200+ posts in one evening? That's like a medieval feast to an attention whore. Nice work, folks.

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Dave Hyena said:
KurtBatz said:
Sadly, I know at least one other user who's been promoted on the FA team who's a full time hacker and has been constantly warned and banned repeatedly for launching DOS attacks from inside #maleyiff on IRC.

So there is two of them? Arcturus and another?

There are always two of them, a Master and his Padawan.

kitetsu

pissy esoteric
RE: The Edmund Fitzgerald

KurtBatz said:
Don't mean to sound rude here, but if I have to elaborate, then you've either skimmed over or ignored all the parts about him hacking administration accounts and using them to ban Dark Nekogami two days ago.

Or the part where I mentioned he's likely still using exploits, as per the 'still posting in my journal despite being blocked thing'

Would you like me to elaborate further on how Arcturus draws attention to himself?

Don't repeat concrete facts. Especially if you're going to repeat it to a ghost.

Explain to me why you still harbor a personal grudge against him.

Mr Cullen

And yet, at the start of the thread you brought up his actions on other sites. As much as such behaviour disgusts me, His Actions on FA are to do with FA and his actions on other sites are for the other sites in question to deal with themselves, whether he works the strings or not.

I disagree with his unbanning and being made a "white hat" but all the same the staff seem to think it will benefit them because they won't get anymore trouble from him. It doesn't stop other hackers seeing what they can attempt though. 'm not going to start on some "HACKERS ARE EVERYWHERE" conspiracy shite, but if Arc can exploit the site, someone else could just have easily done it and been in the same position arc is instead. Would anyone who has strong personal feelings against arc, agree to someone else being a white hat instead of arc if they had done similar things?

I want to get the niggling feeling that all this argument is simply because "It's Arcturus" out of my head.

I'm not trying to get into some long winded discussion or a mud slinging match. Just a simple explanation.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
RE:  Wasn't Arcturus supposed to be perma-banned?

Mr Cullen said:
And yet, at the start of the thread you brought up his actions on other sites. As much as such behaviour disgusts me, His Actions on FA are to do with FA and his actions on other sites are for the other sites in question to deal with themselves, whether he works the strings or not.

My opinion is that his actions on other sites just go add weight to his perma-banning here. Bans are removed when people have changed, but a perma-ban indicates that this person is never going to change their behavior. And given Arcturus's behavior on other sites, I think that view is perfectly justifed.

It's not about hating arcturus or personal grudges, It's about whether or not he is going to change his attitude and behavior towards FA, and based on the evidence, I'd say not.

Why should FA take on someone who has time and time again proved themselves to be untrustworthy and downright desctructive, when people are prepared to pay for a trustworthy professional white hat to go over the site?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
To be quite honest here, the people arguing over the fact that he is unbanned aren't exactly repeating credible information either. Example, instead of admitting there was a typo in putting in a block, there is claim that it was an exploit.

I don't agree with the unbanning, but the fact is it doesn't help to present a point when you can't get the facts straight either, or worse, lie about them and twist things. It doesn't make it any better either.

Emerson

FYI I am a SPY.
RE:           Wasn't Arcturus supposed to be perma-banned?

I_Own_Charles said:
Emerson said:
Sorry, I forgot to add [/joke] there.

No no, I knew you were joking. I was just keeping in mind the countless others who...wouldn't. :(

Just do what I do: Point and laugh when they take it too seriously.

KurtBatz said:
Reverse this STUPID FUCKING MORONIC decision to allow Arc back onto the site and I will personally donate £100 towards you getting in a professional coder to iron the security holes out of FA.

£100? What is that, like, $50? You think a professional coder will jump on the opportunity to help a bunch of fetish-freak furries with their little drama-tastic frequently broken art site for $50?

I bet you're thinking of throwing in a little fursuiting yiff on the side but uh...not everyone is into that sort of thing!

wut

I_Own_Charles said:
KurtBatz said:
Reverse this STUPID FUCKING MORONIC decision to allow Arc back onto the site and I will personally donate £100 towards you getting in a professional coder to iron the security holes out of FA.

£100? What is that, like, $50? You think a professional coder will jump on the opportunity to help a bunch of fetish-freak furries with their little drama-tastic frequently broken art site for $50?

I bet you're thinking of throwing in a little fursuiting yiff on the side but uh...not everyone is into that sort of thing!

£1 = ~$1.80

100-200 would pay for a coder for...maybe 2 hours at tops.