• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"We do not believe you are a good match for our community"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
I would even argue it's not only paying customers, any given website is worthless without its users. If you have any kind of semi-decent audience, you make them money without them paying you by gnerating clicks, and suddenly the lame "you should be grateful they even allow you to sleep in that dirty corner" guilt-tripping line is a lot less effective.

And you start expecting at least some respect, especially if the website is not that great in terms of management/interface and its only real perk is having the biggest amount of users out there. Even then, FA is still a relatively small site. Not at all unique or irreplaceable (or rather it's unique for bad reasons).

Can't have a lot of users if other users actively promote the harm/death of other users for their ethnicity or sexual preference either.

That's why rules like these exist.

If people didn't want FA to thrive, no one would be actively supporting it by subscribing to FA+. No one would be buying ad space, and everyone would have moved to other sites. But they didn't.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Can't have a lot of users if other users actively promote the harm/death of other users for their ethnicity or sexual preference either
Holy shit how many times do I have to repeat that I'm not talking of people who actually break the rules, I lost count and I'm almost sure I already told YOU that and yet here you are AGAIN

Why are you even back?

What is this thread doing to people's brains? what kind of weird mental blockage is that?

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
We're here talking about weird mental blockages when in the opening post...
InB4 someone comes up with the usual excuse, "something something it's a private website and can ban whoever they want"
You address the answer yourself and use the fact you said it first to stick your fingers in your ears and scream like a child just because it's not the answer you want.

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned
Holy shit how many times do I have to repeat that I'm not talking of people who actually break the rules, I lost count and I'm almost sure I already told YOU that and yet here you are AGAIN

Why are you even back?

What is this thread doing to people's brains? what kind of weird mental blockage is that?
I mean you never provided what behavior the individual displayed to not be a “fit” so like idk maybe give full context and receipts cause sounds like someone was toxic and the staff said: YEET!

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
We're here talking about weird mental blockages when in the opening post...

You address the answer yourself and use the fact you said it first to stick your fingers in your ears and scream like a child just because it's not the answer you want.
I'm moreso interrogating whether or not it's right (not to mention as I said and you conveniently cropped out, it's not always that simple); but even if that was the case, then why in Hell is this thread filled with "well ackshually if someone breaks the rules, it's perfectly normal to have them banned" which is not what I'm discussing at all?

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
I'm moreso interrogating whether or not it's right (not to mention as I said and you conveniently cropped out, it's not always that simple); but even if that was the case, then why in Hell is this thread filled with "well ackshually if someone breaks the rules, it's perfectly normal to have them banned" which is not what I'm discussing at all?
Conveniently cropped? Well I guess you're on this bandwagon of "well ackshually" yourself. So much for your own high ground.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Conveniently cropped? Well I guess you're on this bandwagon of "well ackshually" yourself. So much for your own high ground.
Not really since it's something you or anyone else is free to check out you know, in the OP

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer

Why are you even back?

It's weird that you'd throw shade at other users when you're the one that keeps bringing up the topic to ask the same questions over and over. You have already been given an answer on this in the past.

Are you saying your follower was removed without breaking any rules? If so, they could dispute it with the e-mail given with the notice. Each individual case is unique after all.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
It's weird that you'd throw shade at other users when you're the one that keeps bringing up the topic to ask the same questions over and over. You have already been given an answer on this in the past.

Are you saying your follower was removed without breaking any rules? If so, they could dispute it with the e-mail given with the notice. Each individual case is unique after all.
I keep this open because it keeps raising more and more questions and I find it interesting (albeit annoying).

So you think I've gotten a satisfactory answer...? then why do you keep trying to give me an answer to a question I didn't ask?
And if you think the answer I've gotten ("acksually they don't even need a reason to ban") is valid, then why do you even bring up the possibility to appeal a ban?

This is such a mess

For such a "case closed" topic, I find that everyone trying to defend this website's ability to do whatever they feel like are all over the place.

Stray Cat Terry

"테리는길냥이"
Either read the ToC thoroughly before you decide to use the service(this is crucial if you really emphasize on 'legality'), or, like I do--scan past the descriptions cuz you're too busy/lazy to read that, and be prepared to be treated any way the providers would want to according to their ToC.
Otherwise... you may have done the way somewhere in between the two.

I mean... You shouldn't be upset over the situation because, obviously, you're active around here--which means you already did either of the two ways or somewhere in between that've just been mentioned. So, at this point, whether the ToC being literally a trash doesn't matter.
Because, again, you're already active here(aka. using the service) thus you are effectively considered to have consented to the ToC.

No offense, by the way! (Cuz.. what for? OwO )

I'm cool even if I get banned for whatever reason as long as the providers are acting per the ToC (which I was warned about at the very beginning, just like they did to you and everyone else here) and have something in their mind--regardless of whether it'll be acceptable or not. Because... what am I gonna lose anyways? I didn't spend a penny on this website! UwU ..Wait, did you??

Plus, if the thing's already happened, it's only a waste of everything you spend further(time, efforts, etc..) trying to seek 'answers'...

Last edited:

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
I keep this open because it keeps raising more and more questions and I find it interesting (albeit annoying).

So you think I've gotten a satisfactory answer...? then why do you keep trying to give me an answer to a question I didn't ask?
And if you think the answer I've gotten ("acksually they don't even need a reason to ban") is valid, then why do you even bring up the possibility to appeal a ban?

This is such a mess

For such a "case closed" topic, I find that everyone trying to defend this website's ability to do whatever they feel like are all over the place.

I keep posting because if you HAVEN'T found a satisfactory answer, then perhaps there are other ways I can explain it to you? Because sometimes, with enough persistence, there MIGHT be a chance that it could finally click? Because it seems like you're just assuming that I'm missing the point altogether, or perhaps you just didn't phrase your opening post as well as it could have been.

The reason why I mention the reason to appeal a ban is that each situation is unique. This also falls back onto my 'legroom' statement.

Once upon a time, before Wix bought D.A, I randomly signed on to see that I was banned. What's worse, I didn't even get a notice as to why. So I just contacted their help desk like "wut gives?" and they apologized for the mistake and restored my account. That would be one very good reason as to why they should leave room to appeal! I don't know what went on to make this mistake, but it was reversed in the end. Sometimes shit happens, and it's better to have the chance than to not.

If someone wants to be worried/paranoid over abuse, it's probably because no one can actually see what's being handled and I get that. But in the end, privacy protects anyone involved because twitter knows people love to form angry mobs and destroy lives for fun. XD

Mr.Fox wanted to argue his suspension was unjustified, and threatened to post his notice and prove publicly that mods were abusing their power... only to turn tail when everyone said 'okay, go ahead then' and called him out on his bluff. Now he gone for good it seems.

Your opening question was:
In short what I'm asking is, what exactly is the legal status of FA, what does being a "community" imply exactly? is it more like 1) a publisher, 2) a platform, or 3) a cult?

3 is obviously not the choice because you literally signed yourself into it, and a cult would be willing to put a gun to your head and make you stay. This was clearly meant to be insensitive. The door is always open for you to leave and that has been expressed by the owner himself.

1 and 2 are things that you could independently research on your own instead of expecting solid answer from the community. It would be wiser to pay someone for their legal advice on what the legal status would be.

InB4 someone comes up with the usual excuse, "something something it's a private website and can ban whoever they want for whatever reason" (section 230 might add some nuance to this but whatever); I'm not entirely convinced the same people would react well to getting arbitrarily terminated for displeasing the "site director". I don't care if they're entitled to do that, if you don't think it's bullshit, you're wrong =^.^=

You may feel that it's wrong, but it's not legally wrong. I read up on 230 and it doesn't support how you feel at all. If anything it gives site owners the ability to say "this racist comment here? That's not a reflection of our company or its core values". Wondering why it hasn't been removed yet? It's no secret that FA is being run by volunteers. and while they're going through galleries of 4000 images, 4000 more are being uploaded. It would be like crying at a cop for not being there with you at all hours of the day to know you were robbed. Obviously there are more citizens than cops.

I am curious though: have you ever tried asking this on other platforms like Youtube and Twitter? If so, were the results different? And did you ask random users, or have you tried contacting staff directly?

Connor J. Coyote

Now Businesses are privately owned, but their required to follow the ''PUBLIC ACCOMADATION LAW'', meaning that a business is open to the public!

I mean, can a business refuse you service because you're blond, or Chinese, or Cyclops!?

Don't we have anti discrimination laws to prevent that!?
@Trevorbluesquirrel Generally, yes...... but, proving that it was discrimination, (on the part of the public business) can be very difficult to substantiate at times; as..... one usually needs to prove (in court typically) that there was a "bias-based malice", on the part of the business - in the company's "refusal" to provide the service...... and thus, discrimination-based complaints can sometimes be very difficult to win..... which is regrettable, (in cases where there was actual discrimination taking place).

As these cases can often times come down to a "he said" and "he said" scenario.

But - that doesn't mean businesses aren't held accountable either, (especially when it was a malice-based refusal); as often times - court cases are "settled" by the parties (where the complainee is awarded some compensation, of some sort by the company). And in addition to that - the "court of public opinion" can also weigh heavily on a local business, if "malice-based" discrimination is alleged publicly.

And so, businesses can often times try what they can to avoid this type of pitfall, as it'll cost them too much, financially.

Why would a business want to turn away paying customers, after all!?
Well, some businesses (at times) can place their ideological (or political) beliefs "inside the mix" of how they operate their companies; and thus - a baker refusing a wedding cake to a same-gender couple (for example) is viewed (by the company) as not being based on pure "discrimination" (they maintain) - but..... by adherence to their religious beliefs and doctrines, which prevents them from providing certain services that they feel goes against those beliefs.

And so - many state governments, and to a lesser extent - provincial governments, (where you are) - often times have to walk a fine line - in safeguarding so-called "religious liberty" whilst also enforcing their anti-discrimination laws.

And so - even though "public accommodation" laws are on the books (for many good reasons) - often times in these types of cases that may come up - many state governments can often times try to take the "middle ground", (legally and politically)..... as it's simply too volatile an issue for them, to "take sides" in some extreme cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.