• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

We need more Good Werewolfs in media.

G

Ginza

Yeah but bad boys are always the hottest

3B508E6B-79A0-4806-8AC6-D7E2BD1262E6.jpeg

S

Scales42

Well, I dont know if that would help much. One of my favorite movies in this genre is the howling from 1981. In this flick werewolves are fairly lucid... They still rip people to shreds tho. It still a great movie.

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
There’s a movie I watched a few years ago about werewolves in France, I can’t remember what it was called but they called themselves loup garoux. They took forms like actual wolves and the only real problem seemed to be when they came in contact with silver. Otherwise pretty lucid

Xavier Fox

Just a random thought.

But maybe a film about some werewolves sitting around playing games and then going out to do some community service would be slightly less well received by the general public.

F

FoxyForest

Just a random thought.

But maybe a film about some werewolves sitting around playing games and then going out to do some community service would be slightly less well received by the general public.

How about they fight some evil vampires instead?

Night.Claw

How about they fight some evil vampires instead?

Underworld is a movie about something like that. The werewolves there are in control, and fighting against "evil" vampires. Or something like that.

Edit: I was late by a few second.

Flumpor

As someone who is taking writing courses and has pitched before I can say this: Projects with werewolves SUCK to get sponsored.

1. The person you are pitching to has a clear idea of what he wants a werewolf to do and if you want the money you better not stray from that, otherwise you risk not getting sponsored.
2. You pitch something and already need specialty props like Animatronics or expensive CGI... you don't usually get that with smaller projects, unless you are pitching to Blumhouse, but they are still new players. And if you want to feature that wolf prominently they probably won't provide you with enough budget as they can fund 3 other movies for the price of werewolf CGI or Animatronics. So if oyu want a big project there are to many cooks involved, if you want a small project you are lacking funds for a lot of things you want to do. My god are transformation sequences expensive, even big budget movies skip on that part.
3. Writing a new story with werewolves is difficult because so many versions have been written of that concept, just not necessarily with Wolves. Why do we pit wolves and vampires so often against each other? As a concept they are very similar, with the difference that one has control, the other doesn't. As much as I hate to use twilight as an example, writing wise both parties have control and it doesn't matter if Bella joins Edward or Jacob as far as the supernatural aspect is concerned.
4. Your werewolf movie probably sucks. The werewolf doesn't have much to work with which is why usually in werewolf movies the focus is away from the wolves. The Howling is about an Interview, Ginger Snaps is about the dynamic between the two sisters, Wolf Soldiers is esentially a Zombie movie with terrible Audio mixing etc. etc. If you want to make him more interesting, go back to step 1 or market towards the twilight crowd.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Werewolves*

And IMO, no, we don't. Werewolves is a bit of a niche, like vampires.

Flumpor

Werewolves*

And IMO, no, we don't. Werewolves is a bit of a niche, like vampires.

On the other hand, Vampire stories are so incredibly easy to pitch because they have become mainstream and still are. All of the things I mentioned, don't apply to them.

1. Twilight made a shitload of money, twilight rip-offs made a ton of money, creative vampire stories like what we do in the shadows are a success, so they are more like to let you get away with your story.
2. What pre-requisites do you need? Fangs? A vampire story can be made with almost any budget.
3. Do whatever you want, wanna make them sparkle and give them superpowers to the point where one of them can literally cause earthquakes by will? Billion Dollar Idea! Wanna make an Interview? Get someone charismatic. Want them to fight the Nazi Regime? You can probably work with that if you pitch it as a Sci-Fi channel original.
4. Vampires are easier to make good because you have so much popular material you can take inspiration from and you can easily mix it with the superhero or slasher genre etc. Mixing is easy.

Hopei

Check out the movie " what we do in the shadows". It's main story's about vampires but one of the B plots is on wearwolves, and tho they do turn into uncontrollable beasts, the screen time they mostly get is what they're like when not shifted. The trailer's lack luster so I'll give ya the first 6 mins instead.

Kumali

Lupine-American
Check out Patricia Briggs's novels, especially the Alpha & Omega series and the Mercy Thompson series. (Don't know if any movies have been made from them so far, but I'd think they'd adapt well with the right director.)

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
On the other hand, Vampire stories are so incredibly easy to pitch because they have become mainstream and still are. All of the things I mentioned, don't apply to them.

1. Twilight made a shitload of money, twilight rip-offs made a ton of money, creative vampire stories like what we do in the shadows are a success, so they are more like to let you get away with your story.
2. What pre-requisites do you need? Fangs? A vampire story can be made with almost any budget.
3. Do whatever you want, wanna make them sparkle and give them superpowers to the point where one of them can literally cause earthquakes by will? Billion Dollar Idea! Wanna make an Interview? Get someone charismatic. Want them to fight the Nazi Regime? You can probably work with that if you pitch it as a Sci-Fi channel original.
4. Vampires are easier to make good because you have so much popular material you can take inspiration from and you can easily mix it with the superhero or slasher genre etc. Mixing is easy.
Did I accidentally trigger the Werewolf Defense Brigade or some shit?

Last edited:

Flumpor

Did I accidentally trigger the Werewolf Defense Brigade or some shit?
No not really, don't know it came across this way. It's just a follow up why other supernatural concepts like Vampires are infinitely more easy to pitch then Werewolves.

I

Infrarednexus

No not really, don't know it came across this way. It's just a follow up why other supernatural concepts like Vampires are infinitely more easy to pitch then Werewolves.
I will admit 30 Days of Night was a great approach to portraying vampires, and Nosferatu was really good at it's time.

As for werewolves, The Howling was excellent along with A Werewolf in London.

Monsieur Doveteux

The Local Grammarian
Wolfblood is a British show about teens that can turn into wolves. The acting is kind of cheesy, but you get used to it after a couple episodes.

bombylius

Bearly present
God yes, just imagine a wholesome story about a kind werewolf grandma baking cookies for her werewolf grandchildren.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Why is it always the "argh! I can't control it! *blacks out and murders everyone around him!*" trope?

Werewolves who are in control and lucid during their altered state are so much better and cooler!
Good point! Even the Worgen from World of Warcraft became a more subverted version ever since cataclysm. So yeah and werewolves are fine by me.