• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Weird Games Appreciation Thread

Faustus

I recently found what I think might be the weirdest concept for a game I've ever seen:

I can't say I think there's much promise in terms of gameplay, but I appreciate the crazy factor!

Anybody else got some truly weird game concepts they'd like to share?

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
The whole Ecco the Dolphin series from the 90s. You play as a time travelling dolphin who fights aliens. At one point you go to Atlantis. It may or may not have been inspired by LSD experiments funded by NASA in the 60s that attempted to communicate with dolphins.

Savarin_Divin

Goddess ✵ Grand Star Divina
I guess I can start here with trio the punch. xD

Last edited:
When I was little, we had a CD-ROM that was bought at a dollar store called "The Day The World Broke" (among others that were less weird). It was published by Houghton Mifflin Interactive and must have been meant to be educational in some way? It fascinated me as a child, but when we upgraded to Windows XP, suddenly I wasn't able to get it working well anymore. It would freeze and glitch out. In late 2019/early 2020, I finally sat down with my computer skills and set up a DOS Box emulation of Windows 3.1, and to my surprise it worked! I finally played it all the way through and got closure for the game I never completed as a kid.

It's one of the weirdest story games I've played, and to some extent, I credit it for my early fascination with anthropomorphic animals. The jist of it is that the world is built entirely on machinery and there are walking, talking, half-animal half-machines blocking the valves that run the world. There's a lot of lore associated with it via in-game video and writings, and documentation is scarce at best (last I checked, may be different now). Since I played it through, I've been finding more resources, mainly just playthroughs, but genuine fixes for some of the glitches on Windows 98 and XP with fast processors as well.

As far as appreciation goes, that game literally defined my childhood. No one understood my obsession with it, and no one I talk to knows the game. It was just a weird cheap little game, but it holds a place in my heart evermore.

Savarin_Divin

The whole Ecco the Dolphin series from the 90s. You play as a time travelling dolphin who fights aliens. At one point you go to Atlantis. It may or may not have been inspired by LSD experiments funded by NASA in the 60s that attempted to communicate with dolphins.
I see someone else here might be a slope's game room fan? xD

Savarin_Divin

I had habit of streaming random games when I had my PC (going to get it back working again)
To stream random games. . . This is one of them. . . I was very confused.
Dancing monster. . . . The day after Tom uploaded this video so. . .
I'll let him explain it, it's not like I can do much better. lol

In case for some weird reason you want to try this old game.

Judge Spear

I know the stuff I'm posting isn't exactly weird mechanically...except Dezatopia, but I don't tend to play games with weird gameplay mechanics. I just know games with weird aesthetics and premises.

Like this one where a demon has taken control of an individual's mind. You play as a mental ship the last remaining sane part of the protagonist has conjured to win his mind back.

Faustus

I just remembered another classic: Seaman on Dreamcast.
(Video is mildly NSFW - swearing - in case you didn't know!)

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
slope's game room fan?
Im assuming that's a youtuber? I first stumbled across Ecco because growing up my parents were mildly against me having videogames until my older brother bought me one of those Sega Genesis rereleases you find at dollar stores. Ecco was one of the games on it and I have had a fascination with it ever since.

DemonHazardDeer

Niche Game Connoisseur
One of my absoulte favs is God Hand! It's by Shinji Mikami right before he left Capcom to help make Platinum and it really shows cuz this might be the most indepth action games ever made. Instead of Bayo or DMC where you by new moves to combo with, in God Hand you buy moves that you then mix and match with other moves to make copletely new movesets. There are hundreds of moves all with different properties and insane combos to pull off, I fuckin love it. Also it's probably the hardest game ever made? It has the thing where it changes difficulty based on how well you play with 4 different levels, 1-3 and Die. I've never seen anyone last more than a couple of minutes on Die, even when set to easy. It also has a guy in a gorilla suit wereing a luchador mask as a boss fight. And is the origin of this meme
2-godhand.jpg