• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Weird question... did any of you get into the furry fandom despite having a fear of mascot suits?

Hopei

This fear didn't come from fnaf, or that csi ep, or an otherwise bad experience with them, and not at all directed at the performers.

I realised I had this fear when healthy Harold the giraffe visited my school when I was 5. Even while keeping my distance I could tell someone was in the suit, I could see their siluete behind a visor, disguised as a spot. Did he live in it? Was he damed? Eatten? All these questions swarmed my puerile mind as he steped out of his tour bus, but once his fluffy black hoof touched gods good earth, I witnessed the true evil. My fellow children took notice too, and like flies to baboon shit swarmed the suit, with open claws they surrounded him and clambered too concor this beast like it was the pinical of a rope pyramid. First his scarf was ripped from his neck, then gloves swallowed by the swarm , head toppled over....i fail to remember his fate.

I

Infrarednexus

Most of the mascots sports teams use are ugly compared to the fursuits our community makes, so I'm not surprised why some would feel a little uncomfortable seeing them. I was never bothered with it personally.

Zhalo

Rez the Wolfdog
I feel a little more than slightly uncomfortable around fursuiters, I don't really know why, I think it stems from the anxiety of me having no experience interacting with fursuiters or mascot even.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Me actually. I had to take a long time getting used to them and even so they freak me out a bit.

They also seem terribly uncomfortable.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
For as long as I remember, I've always had a legitimate phobia of puppets and anything similar.
This includes mascot suits, and while they're not the worst for me, they're pretty uncanny and I probably don't want to be around one in real life.

To be fair, it depends on the type of suit. Realistic fursuits, that are more like the kind of fantasy costumes you'd see in movies, don't bother me.
It's just the cartoon mascot suit types that I find unsettling.

Some witnesses have said that I used to be terrified of Barney the Dinosaur when I was very young. I have no recollection of such thing, however.

Hopei

I feel a little more than slightly uncomfortable around fursuiters, I don't really know why, I think it stems from the anxiety of me having no experience interacting with fursuiters or mascot even.

Me actually. I had to take a long time getting used to them and even so they freak me out a bit.

They also seem terribly uncomfortable.

In Australia I don't come across suiters often, only seen one in real life at a steam punk festival, so it's not likely I'll get use to 'em. I'm fine with youtubes suited in videos tho cause they tend to be higher quality makes but I'm not likely to approach them.

And yes, I get sweety enough as is, tho would still rather be in a life-sized Dino-puppet than suited.

Last edited:
G

Ginza

mascots? oh hell yeah they're creepy af

high quality fursuits? Nah that shit is adorable <3

In the end, you don't have to like fursuits to enjoy the fandom. Just do whatever makes you happiest :3

PrincePorun

This literally speaks to me on so many levels as I am terrified of the mascots at Disneyland (even tho I've been going there all the times for the last 5 years!). Fursuits also creep me out a bit. I guess some things never change no matter the fandoms you join.

B

backpawscratcher

Most of the football teams here in the UK have a mascot suiter. My team has a big teddy bear. It's not even close to the standard you see at furmeets.

But am I afraid of him? No. I'd take a hug from a giant teddy bear in a football kit if offered. Sometimes after watching our team play a hug is damn well needed :D

M

Massan Otter

Partick thistle have the best mascot I've seen. Best not to click if you don't like mascots!
kingsley_3349680b.jpg

Ararar2005

Omg I'm not the only one :O

I hate water park mascots because they don't have any personality... theire just... there

At least furries have a bit of personality

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
This literally speaks to me on so many levels as I am terrified of the mascots at Disneyland (even tho I've been going there all the times for the last 5 years!). Fursuits also creep me out a bit. I guess some things never change no matter the fandoms you join.

It's a big reason I never wanted to go to Disneyland, not even as a kid. Even now I feel uncomfortable around people dressed up as one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Mickey Mouse or cartoon characters in general. I'm fine with some furry costumes though.

On an unrelated note, did anyone see the bed and breakfast episode of Bob's Burgers? (Actually it's not that unrelated, since the episode contains I seen that's quite relevant to the topic.)

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
I got into the fandom for the art. Mascots add to team spirit at games and whatnot, but I wouldn't actively seek them out.

Fursuits are different for me. I see them as bringing a personal character to life. Something fun, but worlds apart from mascots. More like cosplay, or along the lines of creating, and dressing up as, your own original Star Trek -themed character.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
I've never been afraid of mascots, but I can fully understand why someone would be creeped out by a masked unknown person with a static facial expression.

I was turned off of fursuits until I saw Duke the Dancing Dog with his moving jaw. That's the moment I knew I HAD to have a fursuit, because things like moving jaws and eyes take away that sometimes creepy static face.

I also think puppets are HELLA COOL! I just bought The Dark Crystal special edition. I love cosplay and theme park design and anything that makes fun fantasy stuff become more real.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Most of the mascots sports teams use are ugly compared to the fursuits our community makes, so I'm not surprised why some would feel a little uncomfortable seeing them. I was never bothered with it personally.
Kinda the opposite for me? Most community-made suits are generic as hell, with a good chunk of them being some variation on doofy-looking colored wolves.